Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Would someone mind summarizing that video, for those of us who don't have 40 minutes? :p

It's been a while since I've seen it, but if I remember correctly, there were a number of features which they showcased that were axed from the final product, particularly things to do with keeps. They originally envisioned there being much greater customization for forts, and depending on whether you went the covert or brute force route, they would yield different benefits. There were also scenarios like setting fire to Templar boats to counter an invasion, and making choices like whether to save a town that would impact how your companions perceived you. The conversations also looked more cinematic, kind of like the Witcher.

Mark Darrah - executive producer on the DA franchise - just recently teased something on his Twitter page. It's a red book labeled "internal use only," and the cover looks like something out of the DA universe. I wonder if he is teasing a potential fourth installment into the franchise.

Source: https://twitter.com/BioMarkDarrah/status/725022641623437312

As much as I hated Inquisition, I've invested so many hours into this series that I would probably be obliged to play any new game that they release. Even though it's from another studio, I think ME: Andromeda will be a good indication of whether Bioware has iterated on and improved their open world designs. If it's chock-full of fetch quests and secondary missions that are divorced from the main plot, we can probably expect the same from a fourth Dragon Age game.

They will really need to show something outstanding for me to buy DA4. I hated DA:I too, complete disappointment in every way.

I always liked ME more so I'm really worried what they will do with ME:A, especially since it will also have a open world. I can already see the same old generic fetch quests, the bland protag, the short story etc.

CDPR didn't have any problems moving from a linaer/hub based style to a great open world but Bioware screwed up completely lol.

I just finished DA:I recently, and I need to say he's really bad.

I mean, I never played the DA: O, only the DA2 before - which I hate for being so boring and completely repetitive on its maps. Now with Inquisition, he has some changes and is definitely better than 2 but, the main quest is so weak and the secondary soooo bad, and poorly designed, together with a combat and a history so just ... "ok", that is impossible to consider it a real good game.

Even not being a fan of the franchise, I feel bad seeing so much lost opportunities, about places, gameplay and storytelling - I mean, quests like the abandoned "Demon personifying Leliana and trying to seduce the Inquisitor" already could make a lot for the game, and put a lot of things to discuss.

Just one thing is for sure - I have no interest on DA 4, right now.

@RezoInverse
Who's he? :scared:Jokes aside, DA:I is not that bad of a game, at least to my tastes, but it couldn't hold a candle to the DA:O, so it deserves all the hate. The main story is okay though.

It's a shame Bioware has never advanced their level design after all these years. And I don't think they understand how to absorb the player in a setting the way CDPR, Larian or Bethesda does. By comparison, their approach is very bare bones. But something about Origins keeps drawing me back. Aside from the sheer quality on PC, it definitely has great atmosphere and its own identity as a high fantasy epic.

It's a shame Bioware has never advanced their level design after all these years. And I don't think they understand how to absorb the player in a setting the way CDPR, Larian or Bethesda does. By comparison, their approach is very bare bones. But something about Origins keeps drawing me back. Aside from the sheer quality on PC, it definitely has great atmosphere and its own identity as a high fantasy epic.

Depends what you mean by level design. Visually? Maybe, although DA:I has a lot more variety. From a gameplay point of view? Absolutely not. The dungeons in TW3 are linear with maybe a few side rooms. In DA:I you have these massive dungeons like Dirthamen and Vallamar that have lots of secrets. TW3 doesn't have anything like that.

I liked the "world design" in DA:I (multiple areas with each a different atmosphere, each a main theme, each different struggles -- I think this formula works better in a very long game, and it prevents a lot of back and forth), but I liked even more what they did in their last two DLCs (more linear, with branching paths and secret passages). I hope they forget about this open world trend and stick to what they did with The Descent / Trespasser. Even the Hakkon area was considerably better than anything they did in the vanilla game.
(I liked Inquisition more than Origins too, overall. It might not be a better RPG but it was a better game/experience for me.)
And yes, "dungeons" in TW3: "Cat potion/torch", "Golem at the end", minimalistic and repetitive design, very, very simple "puzzles". I didn't like that at all, it didn't look like it was part of the same game, almost felt to me like a drawback to TW1.

Depends what you mean by level design. Visually? Maybe, although DA:I has a lot more variety.

What does it matter if DA:I had more diverse biomes when those biomes were bereft of meaningful content? Exploring and completing secondary quests in DA:I isn't rewarded with lore drops but rather stat increases. They designed their game to function like an MMO, when there is really little impetus for the player to try and min/max his or her character because they are only competing against themselves and the computer. The Hissing Wastes is an excellent example. After hours and hours of questing in that desolate place, I come to a tomb and expect to be rewarded with some new insight into Dwarven lore. Instead, I receive a discardable item that has nothing to do with the story.

I feel like I'm the only person in the world who didn't like Dragon Age: Origins. Maybe it's because I played it the same year I played Deus Ex 1, The Witcher 1, and replayed KOTOR 1. At the time, it felt like a dumbed down version of KOTOR with subpar world building that didn't hold a candle to those other games.

What does it matter if DA:I had more diverse biomes when those biomes were bereft of meaningful content? Exploring and completing secondary quests in DA:I isn't rewarded with lore drops but rather stat increases. They designed their game to function like an MMO, when there is really little impetus for the player to try and min/max his or her character because they are only competing against themselves and the computer. The Hissing Wastes is an excellent example. After hours and hours of questing in that desolate place, I come to a tomb and expect to be rewarded with some new insight into Dwarven lore. Instead, I receive a discardable item that has nothing to do with the story.

Actually, I feel like both games have too much lore in it. I just can't be bothered to read it. It's always just a bunch of flavor text that doesn't even give you more choices or anything like that. Not to mention the fact that both games have this ugly, barebones console UI that is just a massive wall of text. Why these companies, to which immersion is very important, didn't include a book UI that had you flip pages is beyond me. Skyrim did that quite well.

Why these companies, to which immersion is very important, didn't include a book UI that had you flip pages is beyond me. Skyrim did that quite well.

That is a very good suggestion, and one which I would very much like to see implemented.

I agree, I thought it was lazy and rushed way of trying to give us lore info in the game. I generally think that video games should show rather than tell when it comes to lore, and being shown a giant wall of text annoys me. At least Bioware, credit to them, did give us XP for "reading" the various codex.

And I should add I'm someone who likes reading, so it's not that this is the issue, I just think that giant blocks of text are unnecessary in games when there are much better ways to engage players in the lore.

I mean, I never played the DA: O, only the DA2 before - which I hate for being so boring and completely repetitive on its maps. Now with Inquisition, he has some changes and is definitely better than 2 but...

I can easily agree. DA2 is terrible, it's embarrassing even. DAI is way better than 2, but...

You should try DAO too, it's still definitely the best game in that series.

You should try DAO too, it's still definitely the best game in that series.

I'm still think about that. Actually, I almost bought the DAO a time ago, but decided to try DAI at once... Now, just want to give a time - and get a better pc, meanwhile, since even TW1 I'm just able to play on low. Then, I may try DAO with the chance to some mods.

"Training my english here, please be patient"
You and me, friend.haha

I'm still think about that. Actually, I almost bought the DAO a time ago, but decided to try DAI at once... Now, just want to give a time - and get a better pc, meanwhile, since even TW1 I'm just able to play on low. Then, I may try DAO with the chance to some mods.

"Training my english here, please be patient"
You and me, friend.haha

I finished game, don't want to play it again. One Witcher character was more interesting than everything that Inquisition had to throw at me.

I can easily agree. DA2 is terrible, it's embarrassing even. DAI is way better than 2, but... You should try DAO too, it's still definitely the best game in that series.

DAO has some old RPG vibe. Great game. DA2 - I don't know what to say. Same locations over and over again, boring gameplay (Origins was much more challangeing etc.) and basically everything was disappointing, but I gotta admit - I liked the story. I didn't have time to play DAI when it came out and now I'm a little bit worried that after W3 it might be hugely disappointing. Still probably 'll give a try after finishing Blood and Wine

Yeah, it's a shame that Dragon Age lost it's grip straight after Origins. It is such a solid RPG.

While I agree that story doesn't really even deserve a mentioning in Inquisition, and I probably found the best bits from the DLCs, I really enjoyed the gameplay in it. Though only as an archer. I was strictly against the removal of healing spells and that was somewhat disappointment. I've played it through twice, all DLCs included and I really had a blast hunting all the high dragons on Nightmare. :)

Top Bottom