Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
Dragon Age: Inquisition

As much as I love the Witcher series, and I think CDPR is one of the best developers around, it was Bioware that got me interested in RPGs back in the day with Baldurs Gate, and Baldurs Gate 2 Shadows of Amn.

So it gladdens me that they are taking the harsh criticism of Dragon Age 2 to heart and making Dragon Age 3 an absolutely EPIC experience!

Dragon Age 3 gameplay looks amazing! (watch in 1080p if you have the bandwidth)

Live gameplay from Pax

The Frostbite 3 engine is no joke, and it looks like it is being handled well by Bioware's creative artists and programmers..

Witcher 3 will have some serious competition, but ultimately, I trust CDPR more than I do Bioware to make a more visceral and realistic experience..

It seems obvious that they are putting far more effort into this than DA2.

But for now, I can't really say I care. I'll wait for reviews and see if I care then.

Bioware could crap on a platter and still be competition for CDPR. Such is the nature of brand loyalty. But yeah, I'm impressed with DA:I so far, at least visually. I don't expect the writing/lore/C&C to suddenly get better than The Witcher because they've never been as good as CDPR in this regard. We'll see how things pan out.

Well, obviously, Bioware do not want to completely ruin their company after crappy DA2 and ME3. So they seemingly put a lot of efforts into DAI and it shows. Unfortunately, as far as story quality, or even a simple coherence, is concerned, I wouldn't hold my breath. Unless they either hired new and actually good writers, or old ones had brain transplants, I wouldn't expect DAI plot be anything more of same old same old save the world stuff full of cliches. Hopefully their writers already had their heads checked concerning mental issues and drug abuse, and we won't get another RGB star child ending.

I definitely will be getting both games.. I agree with Slimgrin though that CDPR's writing is typically much better and more mature than Bioware's..

I can't wait to see CDPR do a technical showcase for the Red Engine 3 and the PhysX effects that will be in the game!

BTW, these videos make a very convincing argument for how important graphics and technology is to the gaming experience..

Bioware could not pull off such amazing visuals, detail and massive scale without a robust and capable 3D engine like Frostbite 3..

It doesn't look that great visually. 13 minutes video showing character running in the fields, just saying. It was running on PC, I was expecting something more impressive.

Combat doesn't look that nice. Similar to Witcher 2. Switching spells, potions makes time stop! /> I hope we don't have to run like this from one point to another for 10 minutes just to complete one quest.. if so that bs.

addar

Forum veteran
It looks very well , but also it has this cartoon flavor from DA2 , all environments look artificial and they lack of detail, and... and is it me or first trailer from E3 was showing more advanced graphics ?,,, i really want belive it will be grat game , but after so many failes i just can't...no hype in me :(

When a developer consistently puts out great games, I get into the hype, even if it turns out to be crap, then their on watch. When a developer has pushed out three relatively crap games(can't speak firsthand for ME3) I will not get excited, nor preorder, or buy until I see results.

That said I hope Inquisition turns out to be awesome, and I'll keep an un-hyped but honed eye on it.

While not a hard idea to come up with by any means, though as a not game developer, me, I don't know how hard the implementation will be. Anyways the announcement of the "Dragon Age Keep" did impress me.

PrinceofNothing said:
BTW, these videos make a very convincing argument for how important graphics and technology is to the gaming experience..

Bioware could not pull off such amazing visuals, detail and massive scale without a robust and capable 3D engine like Frostbite 3..

And if I could quote how many times a Biodrone claimed graphics don't matter, yet they're all cheering now. I was one of the few who said early on that FB3 was the best thing to happen to DA.

PrinceofNothing said:
As much as I love the Witcher series, and I think CDPR is one of the best developers around, it was Bioware that got me interested in RPGs back in the day with Baldurs Gate, and Baldurs Gate 2 Shadows of Amn.

So it gladdens me that they are taking the harsh criticism of Dragon Age 2 to heart and making Dragon Age 3 an absolutely EPIC experience!

Dragon Age 3 gameplay looks amazing! (watch in 1080p if you have the bandwidth)

Live gameplay from Pax

The Frostbite 3 engine is no joke, and it looks like it is being handled well by Bioware's creative artists and programmers..

Witcher 3 will have some serious competition, but ultimately, I trust CDPR more than I do Bioware to make a more visceral and realistic experience..

I don't know, after Infinity era i lost all my faith (and consumer's interest) in Bioware. Dragon Age 1? I saw a friend playing it, and i did not like it one bit. Of 2, i heard so many and so negative things, that i did not bother to even read anything concerning. If 3 is any good, i might consider getting it, since the last Bioware title i 've ever purchased retail was Throne of Bhaal expansion.

Wasn't their some story that one of the authors behind the DA franchise quit her job because of some idiots sending death threats to her?

Gilrond said:
Wasn't their some story that one of the authors behind the DA franchise quit her job because of some idiots sending death threats to her?

False. Helper quitted for baby reasons. Everyone wins.

They're looking good, and I was pleased to see some hints that the tactical scripting's going to be there again. Hopefully, with fewer bugs than DA2.

But I don't believe ANY hype as far as the story and choice & consequences are concerned, so I'm still reserving judgement until it comes out.

Addar said:
It looks very well , but also it has this cartoon flavor from DA2 , all environments look artificial and they lack of detail, and... and is it me or first trailer from E3 was showing more advanced graphics ?,,, i really want belive it will be grat game , but after so many failes i just can't...no hype in me :(/>

Yeah, the combat looks like DA2. Unrealistically fast moves. Cartoonish garbage, and I'm quite disappointed. Hopefully the story will be better than DA2, but I suspect it won't. It will most likely feature more insipid mage versus templar nonsense.

slimgrin said:
False. Helper quitted for baby reasons. Everyone wins.

Wonderful! There's hope. They'd get better writing out of goddamn crowdsourcing.

slimgrin said:
Looks badass.

Hope my favorite characters Alistair and Oghren return in D3.

Yeah, if they're written properly. Remember that Alistair did make a cameo in DA2, and it was horrible.

The game looks OK, actually pretty average, but it certainly does not make me think of Dragon Age. If I remember correctly, Dragon Age: Origins was conceived as an effort to return to the Baldur's Gate game style, it was even called its "spiritual successor" back then. Even if it didn't live up to *my* expectations, DA:O did feature party based gameplay, tactical real time with pause combat, different build options for each class, real dialogue options and some moderate reactivity and "choice and consequence". The story was cliche but the execution was alright. Then came DA2 and they took a giant shit on everything they did with DA:O.

If they wanted to go back to the original DA:O formula, this is NOT it. If they want to make something completely new, then maybe this shouldn't be a DA game. From what I could tell, this game is essentially a generic third person action/adventure with giant cartoonish weapons and (literally) earth-shattering attacks. Where is the rest of the party? What is there to do beside running around holding a flaming sword? What is the dialogue like? How will the PC's actions and decisions affect the outcome of events? Are any of these questions relevant or are we simply supposed to kill everything that moves?

Anyway. Nice try. But if they wanted to go back to the DA:O formula then this is not it.

Not impressed with that combat. Looks like a graphically-superior LOTR Conquest, actually, come to think of it. Weightless fire-sword swings that sweep right through the enemy. Bioware obviously will continue to be a financial powerhouse, but when it comes to the actual quality of their games, they can't match CDPR.

Top Bottom