Dragon Age: Inquisition

+
DA:O had terrible encounter design though. Half of it was filler, and all of it was repetitive and mundane as hell. I suppose the real question here is: can Bioware produce a game that has soul, and not a slick, assembly line product? That would be my concern. But conversely, does this look better than say, Dark Souls 2? Hell yes.

slimgrin said:
But conversely, does this look better than say, Dark Souls 2? Hell yes.

It all depends on what you mean by 'better'. If 'cartoonish eye-candy' than the answer is 'yes'. If 'atmospheric and scary' than the answer is 'no'.

The felling of trepidation I had while playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for the first time, with no guides or videos, when I stepped through the wall of light into a new area, or into a new boss fight, is simply incomparable with anything I experienced in any game.

But conversely, does this look better than say, Dark Souls 2? Hell yes.

What do you mean? How it looks or its something else? I've never played a Dragon Age and my eyes glaze when I hear it mentioned, but your comment intrigues me.

This trailer killed what little interest I had in the game. Make it stop! Ahhhhh!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5St9phiHHE[/media]

slimgrin said:
Bioware could crap on a platter and still be competition for CDPR. Such is the nature of brand loyalty. But yeah, I'm impressed with DA:I so far, at least visually. I don't expect the writing/lore/C&C to suddenly get better than The Witcher because they've never been as good as CDPR in this regard. We'll see how things pan out.

And you shouldn't. The same woman that wrote Anders in DA2 wrote several characters in DA:I.

In any case, it looks cool but is it me or does W3's graphics still look better?

HighKing said:
And you shouldn't. The same woman that wrote Anders in DA2 wrote several characters in DA:I.

Oh, that is so sad... Not like I am expecting anything good anyway, but this definitely does not sound too encouraging. I'll still buy it, can't pass on any sword and sorcery RPG, but I am as far from being enthusiastic about this game as only possible.

vivaxardas said:
It all depends on what you mean by 'better'. If 'cartoonish eye-candy' than the answer is 'yes'. If 'atmospheric and scary' than the answer is 'no'.

The felling of trepidation I had while playing Demon's Souls and Dark Souls for the first time, with no guides or videos, when I stepped through the wall of light into a new area, or into a new boss fight, is simply incomparable with anything I experienced in any game.

No, I'm talking about what I saw in the PAX vid vs. what I've seen of DS2. And you know what? From Software hasn't disappointed: in typical Japanese style they've recycled most of what they used before. It hardly looks like a different game. Tell me, with an honest face, that's the case with DA:I.

Glaroug said:
What do you mean? How it looks or its something else? I've never played a Dragon Age and my eyes glaze when I hear it mentioned, but your comment intrigues me.

This trailer killed what little interest I had in the game. Make it stop! Ahhhhh!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5St9phiHHE[/media]

Wow what a horrible trailer. DAO is actually much better than this.

slimgrin said:
No, I'm talking about what I saw in the PAX vid vs. what I've seen of DS2. And you know what? From Software hasn't disappointed: in typical Japanese style they've recycled most of what they used before. It hardly looks like a different game. Tell me, with an honest face, that's the case with DA:I.

Sure, from this perspective you are right. Bioware greatly improved on atrocious DA2 (which wasn't that hard because locations in DA2 were simply terrible), and now environments look rather pleasant. I actually like them, reminds we cartoons I watched as a kid. But it looks like a generic high fantasy. I can swear it reminds me some MMORPG vids I saw.
DS2 looks the same as DS, that's true. But they managed to keep that feeling of dread and despair. Sometimes it pays off to follow the principle - if ain't broken don't fix it.

vivaxardas said:
Sure, from this perspective you are right. Bioware greatly improved on atrocious DA2 (which wasn't that hard because locations in DA2 were simply terrible), and now environments look rather pleasant. I actually like them, reminds we cartoons I watched as a kid. But it looks like a generic high fantasy. I can swear it reminds me some MMORPG vids I saw.
DS2 looks the same as DS, that's true. But they managed to keep that feeling of dread and despair. Sometimes it pays off to follow the principle - if ain't broken don't fix it.

+1.

DA:O wasn't broken, and they "fixed" it into the disaster that was DA2.

After checking out the video, to me, it looks like an Elder Scrolls game that was optimized for third person and not first person--no, scratch that, more of a Elder Scrolls Online since the attacks look very scripted unlike, say, regular ol'Skyrim. Dragon Age games give me such a strong MMO vibe in the little amount of footage I've seen.

If it aint broken dont fix it, best phrase ever to describe lack of ambition and intention to improve.

I really like the graphics of DAI, thats for sure, but i dont like how the combat looks at all, its so so similar to dark souls, i dont want to accuse them of anything, but if i try to imagine how would a total dark souls combat clone would look like, this'd be it.

But anyway, im quite interested in this game, lets see how the story and characters turn out later.

If it requires Origin and shoehorns in multiplayer I'm not interested. Haven't bought a Bioware product since DA2 and don't intend to.

I really like the graphics of DAI, thats for sure, but i dont like how the combat looks at all, its so so similar to dark souls, i dont want to accuse them of anything, but if i try to imagine how would a total dark souls combat clone would look like, this'd be it.

Elder Scrolls camera work aside, the combat looks like a Guild Wars 2 clone to me--and I love GW2 combat.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b1D7-2Gypg[/media]

Geraltofbsas said:
If it aint broken dont fix it, best phrase ever to describe lack of ambition and intention to improve.

I have seen so many game series killed by 'innovations' that I would prefer some devs stick with what they already have, thank you very much. From Software is one such case. They have a very specific art and graphic style for Demon's Souls/DS1-2, and it works just fine

I have seen so many game series killed by 'innovations' that I would prefer some devs stick with what they already have, thank you very much. From Software is one such case. They have a very specific art and graphic style for Demon's Souls/DS1-2, and it works just fine

On a clear night, when the Moon is full, if you listen closely cries of the betrayed can still be heard screaming.

Infinity Engine....Infinity Engine.....

The combat looks a lot like Kingdoms Of Amalur to me, especially that Scorpion-style "GET OVER HERE!" move. Hard to tell exactly how it works what with the UI being hidden in the video, though.

ETA:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS99zdAkYZg[/media]

Glaroug said:
Elder Scrolls camera work aside, the combat looks like a Guild Wars 2 clone to me--and I love GW2 combat.

That also looks very similar in mechanics, but the pacing and physics are completely different.

I still think it looks closer to DS.

Glaroug said:

I've seen those too, but considering its Bioware, and they wont just dissapear or go bankrupt anytime soon, i think it would be a lot better in the long term, that they make mistakes if they have to, and later learn to come back with something improved.

Souls's graphic style and art is good and can be better, just like all the other things.

Most devs's failures come not from trying to improve implementation (wich is what i want), but trying to completely change something in its core idea, as long as From Software understand what is the idea of Souls's style, its very unlikely they can screw it up, unfortunately, the idea or goal is precisely what japanese studios seem to not understand, hence, the current state of their games.

LostScout said:
If it requires Origin and shoehorns in multiplayer I'm not interested. Haven't bought a Bioware product since DA2 and don't intend to.

Not surprised one bit Origin would be required on PC. Multiplayer however... I just... Why?

Top Bottom