Dragon Age IV

+
We knew it was coming.
Unfortunately, given DA2 and Inquisition, as much as I absolutely loved Origins I don't plan to pre-order. Yes, there was still a story in both but the gameplay seriously lacked and they've moved from what was originally an RPG into that netherworld that's mostly action game.

Taking this here so I don't hijack Kofe's thread.

Nothing much official yet. Some wild speculation here: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/12/07/dragon-age-4-red-lyrium-idol/
I saw that trailer but had no idea it was Dragon Age. Oops.

We knew it was coming.
Unfortunately, given DA2 and Inquisition, as much as I absolutely loved Origins I don't plan to pre-order. Yes, there was still a story in both but the gameplay seriously lacked and they've moved from what was originally an RPG into that netherworld that's mostly action game.

Ditto. My friends agree. Origins is the way to go moving forward; DAII and Inquisition were mediocre, in my opinion. Combat bored me to tears and felt too button mashy.

I'm looking forward to it...well I guess in 3 years. Each game had pros and cons. DAO had the best and most focused narrative but had a terrible combat system. I prefer the RP aspect of DA2 from a voice standpoint and actually found the combat oddly satisfying, but repetitive asset reuse and railroading the PC through much of the story was undesirable. DAI had the most depth to companions and some really good story arcs...combat system was good but enemies less so, but the overall story peaked too early and had an abysmal open world and side content. Conclusion? DA4 will have some aspects I like and others I loathe.

I'm looking forward to it...well I guess in 3 years. Each game had pros and cons. DAO had the best and most focused narrative but had a terrible combat system.

That's my opinion, obviously, but the combat system DAO had was pretty good at that time (2009). In fact, both DA2 and DA: Inquisition had way worse combat systems by the time of their releases.

Guest 4211861

I hate EA, not buying this even if it's great, I'm so done with them, they've killed too many good studios and therefore made things worse for me as a gamer.

I can only imagine what Visceral, and the other 30 studios EA killed, would have created if they had been allowed to continue.

I really hate them. I hope I'm not being overly subtle.

I've only played DAI (I really enjoyed it) and I thought the combat was fine. I'm wondering how it differs from that of DAO? Having watched 'DAO Combat Basics' video, I can't really tell the difference.

After DA:I I have not high hopes on this game. I will see but will defenitly wait for some reviews before getting it.
Last game really made me sad and angry. Such a bad written and told story...

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to it...well I guess in 3 years. Each game had pros and cons. DAO had the best and most focused narrative but had a terrible combat system. I prefer the RP aspect of DA2 from a voice standpoint and actually found the combat oddly satisfying, but repetitive asset reuse and railroading the PC through much of the story was undesirable. DAI had the most depth to companions and some really good story arcs...combat system was good but enemies less so, but the overall story peaked too early and had an abysmal open world and side content. Conclusion? DA4 will have some aspects I like and others I loathe.

On the contrary, I feel DA:O had the BEST combat system, because it was the closest to actually being an RPG rather than an action game.

It was essentially medieval KOTOR. That said, it could definitely have used some improvements. Faster combat pace, with the option to slow down, for one, because everything felt so sluggish and delayed otherwise. But the core concept, IMO, was better than Inquisition and DAII combined.

As a result, it's the only game in the series I've actually finished. DA:I was the game I was furthest away from finishing, because the open world areas sucked.

Anthem will flop and Bioware will downsize and eventually go belly up and rightfully so. after the doctors left its been one shitshow after another.

Inquisition had the worst korean MMO type combat i have ever seen, and all the girls looked ugly. no thanks not interested in DA4.

No big surprise here. Not even any gameplay footage. We knew it was coming sometime. About the only thing we still know is that it's coming, sometime. It also seemed a foregone conclusion that the Elf-wolf would be at the center of it in some way, because that's the big cliff-hanger that they stopped at in DAI.

I do take one thing from the announcement, however. And maybe this is just be being suspicious. But dangling this out there in an event focused on other things strikes me that they have a sense of foreboding about the reception of their be-all, end-all upcoming game Anthem. Sort of like Bethesda doing a very non-Bethesda thing and pre-announcing TES 6 at the end of its E3 presentation on Fallout 76. It looks like a preemptive act of desperation to give people something to hold onto if Anthem crashes and burns.

Anthem will flop and Bioware will downsize and eventually go belly up and rightfully so. after the doctors left its been one shitshow after another.

Inquisition had the worst korean MMO type combat i have ever seen, and all the girls looked ugly. no thanks not interested in DA4.
I find myself agreeing more and more with you lately. It's creepy. I want to ask you to stop but I feel like we're finally seeing a non-troll side so that's good.

Funnily enough, I even agree that the girls were ugly, but not specifically them. In my opinion, all of the characters in DA:I were ugly. Horrendously and equally so. Varric was fine.

Less than zero expectation from this. Despite the fact that Laidlaw left Bioware, which is probably the only good news in YEARS about that studio. Plus it's EA, whom I consider my enemy because of what they do to the games industry.

I find myself agreeing more and more with you lately. It's creepy. I want to ask you to stop but I feel like we're finally seeing a non-troll side so that's good.

Funnily enough, I even agree that the girls were ugly, but not specifically them. In my opinion, all of the characters in DA:I were ugly. Horrendously and equally so. Varric was fine.
I thought Cassandra was pretty. And any time Morrigan makes an appearance, she's good looking.

Granted the female characters in CDPR games are a lot prettier. Male characters too -- Baron Strenger is quite a looker.

Ditto. My friends agree. Origins is the way to go moving forward; DAII and Inquisition were mediocre, in my opinion. Combat bored me to tears and felt too button mashy.

Origins is the game that got me into RPGs, not least because it does have the best combat in the series. I've been waiting for a good sequel for close to a decade. And I'm conflicted, because while I want to be optimistic and believe that third time's the charm, I'm skeptical of Bioware after a little too much disappointment.

Last edited:
I thought Cassandra was pretty. And any time Morrigan makes an appearance, she's good looking.

Granted the female characters in CDPR games are a lot prettier. Male characters too -- Baron Strenger is quite a looker.
That's fair. Varric and Morrigan were both good. Beyond them looking attractive, they were also just well-modeled. Their faces looked...normal, I guess.

@everybody else regarding this new DA game: skepticism is certainly warranted.

Here's the thing - when a game publisher/developer feels like they've "made progress," they don't go back in time. They are not going to throw out their (IMO) ridiculous action combat system, which fails to satisfy both RPG fans and action combat fans. They are going to press forward with it because it's "How they do things" now.

Would I like Origins combat to come back? Hell yes. But it probably won't. Why would it? To Bioware, that's old news now, and the people who worked on Origins are probably loooong gone now.

Here's what I expect:
  • More dull, grindy open-world stuff (I.E. "content")
  • More action combat
  • More emphasis on visual fidelity and flashiness (thus, inflated art budget)
  • Focus on simplicity in terms of RPG systems
I don't mean to be bitter. I know people like this stuff, and that's fine. I just find it boring.

Last edited:
I've only played DAI (I really enjoyed it) and I thought the combat was fine. I'm wondering how it differs from that of DAO? Having watched 'DAO Combat Basics' video, I can't really tell the difference.

The most essential difference is in the tactis. With 25 sloths of commands, you can customize how each member of the party will act, who they should defende, attack, what type of enemy they will attack, when they should use each single of their abilities, etc. It's a very extensive list of what you can do, and if you do right, you don't have to micro-manage the combat.
The tactics system in DA2 is better than in DAO. It's more polished.
I want very much this system to combe back, but I lost hope already.

Then there's the healing system. In DAO, not only mages have healing abilities, but you can carry an infinity number of healing potions and mana/stamina, your health also is restored automatically after battle. While in DAI, mages use only barriers and you can have only 8~12 healing potions, you won't find them to loot, but you can replenish them in the camp without any costs.

There's also the matter of items like traps, bombs, types of arrows, talents, skills. Much more variety in DAO.
---------------
Although there's certainly a lack in DA2, I prefer the combat there over DAO because of what they did with rogues. I feel like I owned the battlefield.

Mike "reinventing the RPG genre" Laidlaw up and left BioWare. Apparently, he wants to make MMO fetch quests over at Ubisoft now. Hopefully, what that means for us DA fans - is a return to the "RPG" aspect of the series and not having to deal with more MMO fetch quests from DA2 and Inquisition. But I'm not holding my breath. BioWare is not the same company it used to be. ANTHEM is proof of that. Poor Brent Knowles knew what was going on at BioWare after Origins and he peaced out real fast. At this point, I'm only looking forward to this game out of pure loyalty to Old BioWare, and nostalgia. I do hope they surprise us with a fantastic game, though.

Top Bottom