Dragon Age IV

+
I'm very excited about Dragon Age 4, but it's going to be a long time from now - probably 5 years or so until it actually releases. Bioware will be too occupied with their Destiny game with robots.

I'm definitely gonna play the new game when it comes out.

I absolutely loved Dragon Age Origins. Not much else to add here.

Second one was... Hmm... Let's just say it was okay-ish and I played it twice, but it definitely had some serious issues. Like going through same areas over and over again, just exiting and entering through different doors. And I really didn't like the equipment system for companions.

I also liked Inquisition a lot when I played it first time. But after Witcher 3 I never managed to get back to the game. It felt just lame.

In any case, I'm definitely interested to see the fourth game. It may or may not be great, but my love for the first game (and good experience with third one) still makes me curious enough to check out this new one too.

I also liked Inquisition a lot when I played it first time. But after Witcher 3 I never managed to get back to the game. It felt just lame.
This is almost exactly how I felt. It was great, until there was something better. Now it's just good. I think I did d one play-through later after the trespasser DLC came out to include the DLC and give a female inquisitor a go.

All this recent talk of Dragon Age made me purchase a new DRM-free copy of Dragon Age Origins (Thank you GOG / CDPR) when it was on sale, and play through it again.

By the time I was a couple of hours in, I remembered why I was so bitterly disappointed in it, even though overall it's a fun, well done game. The combat is great, but it feels myopic. Throw a few darkspawn at me, then allow me to move forward a bit and throw a few more at me, rinse and repeat. Pre-EA, it was never supposed to have been this way. Remember the cut scene of the massive fight that you see while you're on your way to light the watch fire at Ostagar? Well, the original plan was for battles more along the lines of those rather than what we got. Not in the thousands, but many dozens. The early proof of concept game play trailer that they showed already had it, along with comments that they hoped to be able to make them even bigger by the time the final product was ready.

And then, ugh, the EA acquisition happened, and Bioware was forced to scramble resources to prepare console versions, while also scaling way back so that the game would actually run on the consoles (remember, this wasn't the XBone / PS4 days). I love the game, but I will never stop loathing EA for destroying what it had the potential to be.

So Dragon Age IV. Yeah, I've decided that whatever it is, I'm not going to be interested.

The problem with it is you can expect microtransactions in their games.
so the question is how much it will effect gameplay I don't preorder games from them anymore.

I loved Inquisition combat system. For me, suits a lot more with the game and the world (sorry for those who are fans from the original gameplay). For me, the new action combat system is what makes the game good, and even with the incredible world and mithology, i wouldnt enjoy it or even play it if it was only tactical gameplay. And they even added that system for those who likes it, but for me, its a natural evolution that the games go to action. FF7 Remake did that. And even pokemon are trying and studying a way to make it more RPG like and with an action gameplay. So why DA wouldnt?

Dragon age origins was prob the best DA i played i really hope they dont ruin the DA franchise lets see

BioWare used to make some of the best RPG's but those days have long since passed. They aren't even a shell of their former selves and even worse they are EA.

BioWare used to make some of the best RPG's but those days have long since passed. They aren't even a shell of their former selves and even worse they are EA.
I agree, bioware's best days appear to be over. They've had 2 bad games in a row (Andromeda and Anthem) and their next game Dragon Age 4 has already been rebooted once, which indicates serious management problems. They've lost too many talented employees too. I'd be surprised if they ever produce a game to the standards of Mass Effect 2 again.

Guest 3847602

I'm guessing Dorian will appear in the game seeing as it's supposed to be set in tevinter
Yes, it would make sense, but he's David Gaider's baby, basically his self-insert. There's also a real possibility of BW relegating his presence to a mere cameo or completely excluding him from the game.

Dont believe he will be excluded or a cameo tbh, regardless of DG not being there i think the current writers and lead continue to have a good relationship with DG that if required they could get personal input which i doubt they'd need, the "personal" things he put into the character can/could be resolved and regardless the Inq's relationship with him i do believe he always survives and goes back to Tevinter (i could be wrong i was never nasty an can never be nasty to companions, well apart from zevran an fenris)

I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the story a good bit same with err Calpernia??

I'll be very surprised if we see a new Dragon's Age, certainly not holding my breath. It would appear that the old Bioware is done. For myself, Origins was and still is the best of the franchise. I won't even talk about DA:2, not sure what that game was, but in my view it wasn't a Dragons Age game. DA: Inquisition was a good game but still didn't have the character or story telling that Origins had. I played Inquisition once and that was it. I think what was good for both games (Origins and Inquisition) was you could have a happy ending which is so rare in games anymore.

JexN7

Forum regular
I found Dragon Age through Mass Effect via BioWare. Figured I absolutely adored Mass Effect, and Dragon Age would be similar; just fantasy rather than sci fi. I was mostly correct. I really liked Inquisition and am looking forward to DA4! However, BioWare's performance as a whole has been incredibly disappointing over the years and the constant departure of devs from the BioWare team is very concerning...

I remain optimistic, but after so many let downs, I am prepared for underwhelming story/character writing and game design.

I'll probably play DA4 at some point (only in hopes of 'catching up' with my dear old friends Leliana, Morrigan & Varric). I just didn't like any of the other companions in DA:I.
Feel free to laugh at me :) ...but when Blackwall decides to tell me how he was too much of a coward to help a poor, crying dog being hung outside his window, any sympathy or respect i had for this newest crop of characters was gone.

I want this game to be amazing, but at the moment my interest level is less than zero.

Bioware has yet to deliver a fully satisfying RPG IMO since Mass Effect 2. Mass Effect 3 was overall my favorite game in that series, but I can't deny that the experience was marred by one of the worst endings in the history of gaming. DA:I was apparently a big financial success for Bioware but I found it largely boring outside of the critical path or companion content, and Mass Effect: Andromeda was just bad all around. It had all the bad features of DA:I along with uninspired writing and a severe lack of polish.

...and then there is Anthem, the game hardly anyone wanted and even less played.

Add to that some notable departures of people who played a large role in the great games Bioware produced in the past and there is very little to inspire confidence in that company going forward.

They really need to hit it out of the park with DA:4. If that game doesn't shape up to look great prior to release, I can't imagine many people purchasing on faith. Bioware's brand has taken too many hits for that.

As far as fantasy RPGs go I have a lot more interest in Baldur's Gate 3. Larian feels like old school Bioware.

Last edited:
I'm very excited about Dragon Age 4, but it's going to be a long time from now - probably 5 years or so until it actually releases. Bioware will be too occupied with their Destiny game with robots.

They said just recently they are in the middle of the production.... It gotta be quite damn big actually. If thats true.

I hate EA, not buying this even if it's great, I'm so done with them, they've killed too many good studios and therefore made things worse for me as a gamer.

I can only imagine what Visceral, and the other 30 studios EA killed, would have created if they had been allowed to continue.

I really hate them. I hope I'm not being overly subtle.
Gotta concur with that. It has been AGES since their last truly good (heck, DECENT) game, and The Witcher always felt way superior to DA anyway, even during DAO times

Top Bottom