Dragon Age vs the Witcher

+
gorthuar said:
I was bothered. Enjoy: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/442879/1The confusion about multiple endings mentioned on page 2 of the above thread had me chuckle. I'm still wondering to what point of TW the originator of said confusion got ;)Oh, look! Another one: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/370517I thank you for your timeGorthuar of MirtheMaster of Arcane Magick
I read it too, I found lot of DA fans complaining on Geralt's voice over, they say it is awful. In the same time they forgetting that main character in DA doesn't have voice over at all.And what to say about main character animations, in the Proving arena after beating opponent my character moves his head little left and little right, add to that no voice and repeated 4+ times and your character surely looks like retard :wall:

Guest 2005166

GoranSRB said:
GoranSRB said:
I was bothered. Enjoy: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/442879/1The confusion about multiple endings mentioned on page 2 of the above thread had me chuckle. I'm still wondering to what point of TW the originator of said confusion got ;)Oh, look! Another one: http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/370517I thank you for your timeGorthuar of MirtheMaster of Arcane Magick
I read it too, I found lot of DA fans complaining on Geralt's voice over, they say it is awful. In the same time they forgetting that main character in DA doesn't have voice over at all.And what to say about main character animations, in the Proving arena after beating opponent my character moves his head little left and little right, add to that no voice and repeated 4+ times and your character surely looks like retard :wall:
;D Ho ho ho! Far better is one, who´s complaining about, that Geralt is sooo ugly! Could it be... that he´s fighting monsters... all day? Prolly you get a few dents and scars when you do...Only thing I get in DA are those most ugly tattoos, weird make-up and insanely much blood all over me in combat (which my dog can "lick" off me...
) Yes, that voice thing also cracked me up, rofl. And I must admit, I rather have a bad [size=5pt](get a better german voice for Geralt next time) [/size] voice acting than none at all. It simply is kind of annoying when I get in a conversation and just stare at my dialogue partner (at least I stare with some emotion in DA, right!) - but my avatar also could hold up little notes or do sigh language to make at least this interesting... sigh.

Something tells me Bioware learned their lesson or at least I hope so;)) I believe they didn`t want to tell players how they should feel, how they should react, but because of that main hero became dull and very often looks retarded, as someone`ve already mentioned;)P.S. This post is my PRIVATE opinion.

reanimathor said:
I believe they didn`t want to tell players how they should feel, how they should react
Well, in that case they should have provided the player character with more dialogue options. Perhaps even labeled as [contempt], [approval], [indifference], [fear], etc. Baldur's Gate worked like a charm because of this (and didn't even have such labels!). Granted, not *every* dialogue had so many options, but the key ones in each location certainly did. Also, didn't the dialogue options depend on the alignment selected at the beggining of the game? They should have carried over all of it to DAO, and one can only wonder why they didn't.I thank you for your timeGorthuar of MirtheMaster of Arcane Magick

Unkreativ said:
It simply is kind of annoying when I get in a conversation and just stare at my dialogue partner (at least I stare with some emotion in DA, right!) - but my avatar also could hold up little notes or do sigh language to make at least this interesting... sigh.
I also found them pretty annoying when I first played the Witcher, but was then pulled towards its magnificence and totally forgot about that.Hey, maybe I'll post this point on the LOVE IT / HATE IT thread as this is a good point. Thank greatness we saw a huge improvement in TW2 where not only are there facial imbalances but full body maneuvers during conversation. Nice :peace:

Guest 2005166

56236 said:
56236 said:
It simply is kind of annoying when I get in a conversation and just stare at my dialogue partner (at least I stare with some emotion in DA, right!) - but my avatar also could hold up little notes or do sigh language to make at least this interesting... sigh.
I also found them pretty annoying when I first played the Witcher, but was then pulled towards its magnificence and totally forgot about that.Hey, maybe I'll post this point on the LOVE IT / HATE IT thread as this is a good point. Thank greatness we saw a huge improvement in TW2 where not only are there facial imbalances but full body maneuvers during conversation. Nice :peace:
Provided it´s true, and the team really didn´t have that many animators when working on TW, it´s allright and they did a good job. Together with the V/O it´s also really not that disturbing as my mute DA character, which does facial expressions and sometimes looks awkward in doing so. TW has it´s eyecandy elsewhere.But bad animations alone is nothing which would keep me from enjoying a game - I mean, I would not have a liking for the "Gothic" series - [size=5pt]did that name derive from the gothic animations?[/size] if this really would affect me that much.

Is it just me or are fan-made/based pieces better than originals because they experienced the flaws of the originals?I just saw a trailer for Dragon Age: Origins that blew my mind. Don't know if it's posted here, but I enjoyed it very much...... so much that I think it beats any gameplay trailer of The Witcher by a mile-shot. [but... gameplay only... not the movie sequences]Anyways, here it is: Dragon Age Origins "Violence" TrailerApologies if it was already elsewhere here, but I thought it would be worth it... Maybe spark-up an idea in an artist to beat it?? Dunno... :peace:

Guest 2005166

56236 said:
Is it just me or are fan-made/based pieces better than originals because they experienced the flaws of the originals?I just saw a trailer for Dragon Age: Origins that blew my mind. Don't know if it's posted here, but I enjoyed it very much...... so much that I think it beats any gameplay trailer of The Witcher by a mile-shot. [but... gameplay only... not the movie sequences]Anyways, here it is: Dragon Age Origins "Violence" TrailerApologies if it was already elsewhere here, but I thought it would be worth it... Maybe spark-up an idea in an artist to beat it?? Dunno... :peace:
Which "fanbased" pieces are you talking about?Oh, the cinematics are really pretty in DA, looked quite mighty in several parts - especially these group sequences.

Unkreativ said:
Which "fanbased" pieces are you talking about?
I was just speaking in general. Something made by fans who already played games seems more to their desires of the game probably due tothem having the advantage of hindsight. :peace:

It also seems that most of the people discussing it misunderstood the point ;) Edit: well, maybe just the most vocal ones, not the most.

Drasill said:
Wow, that's a heck of a lot of reading there... but it seems gamers raise some valid points...--- I recommend it as a good read from another part of the gaming world. It surprises me though that some consider The Witcher as nothing, while others adore it.Well, props for this game and potential props for all others, let's not linger on this gen and raise the standard by advancing... that's the ultimate goal which I thinkis often overlooked by both devs and gamers alike. May the valid points stick and the invalid ones shudder... :peace:

As the one who caused the whole discussion I have to say that I`m really surprised how my words were misunderstood by some people, especially by the author of the initial post, and blown out of proportions.First of all, this was my PERSONAL opinion and it has nothing to do with CDProjekt RED at ANY point. I`m not - as it was mentioned - a representative of CDPR on our community forums. I`m just marked as an employee.Second, I wrote about main character in Dragon Age, which I found soulless. By that I mean it`s not talkin, it doesn`t have any face expression nor reactions.That was all I ment, because I think Dragon Age is one of the best RPGs I`ve ever played! I love it and I was really addicted to it for a long time, even tho I didn`t like the main character face expression ))That would be all Have a great dayOh, and BTW - this also was my personal opinion ;)

I agree with you btw. Dragon Age was an awesome game but the main character was boring with no personality. I guess its just a tradeoff between personalization and depth.

Guest 2005166

reanimathor said:
As the one who caused the whole discussion I have to say that I`m really surprised how my words were misunderstood by some people, especially by the author of the initial post, and blown out of proportions.Oh, and BTW - this also was my personal opinion ;)
No need to justify, I wonder more, how people already define this as an "insult". But let me wonder... I deserve it!

reanimathor said:
Second, I wrote about main character in Dragon Age, which I found soulless. By that I mean it`s not talkin, it doesn`t have any face expression nor reactions.
And you're not the only person who thinks so! Earlier in this thread, I said, "The player character's lines aren't voiced in conversations in DA, and that makes a huge difference. Geralt is very much a person, and that's partly because of the characterization of the actor who plays him. Having other people's conversation be voiced, while mine is just words on the screen, makes me seem kinda washed out and flavorless. Geralt is so much more real and vivid. Even though the female elven mage I play in DA feels closer to my real self, I feel more like a real person when I play Geralt. Also, there are a lot of choices for responses in DA; the things my character could do or say vary from incredibly cold and nasty to incredibly noble and helpful. The player has choices to make as Geralt, but we're always Gerat when we make them. Geralt chooses the Scoia'tael, the Order, or the neutral path because he thinks it's the right thing to do -- there aren't dialogue lines for, "I don't give a damn about anybody" or "Actually, I'm on the side of chaos and destruction," and that constraint makes Geralt feel much more real than my DA character feels."That's a lot like what you said! And I don't work for CDPR, so it's just a fan's opinion! ;D
That was all I ment, because I think Dragon Age is one of the best RPGs I`ve ever played! I love it and I was really addicted to it for a long time, even tho I didn`t like the main character face expression ))
Dragon Age is fabulous, and I love it. But the best-realized character in the game is Alistair, which means that you don't get to play the most fully fleshed-out character in the game; the most you can do is be that person's buddy or lover. It's a lot more fun to be the most interesting person in the game, as you can in The Witcher.

Top Bottom