Dragon Age vs the Witcher

+
Dezired said:
Stone Prisoner is HUGE. There are two quests, lots of dialogue, a lot of party chatter...And it's free if you bought the game new.
Yeah, I know its download coupon is included with the game (except maybe for non-deluxe digital), but it could've been there from the beginning. Besides there are problems with its installation, which haven't been completely dealt with even by now (I had to install it manually, still hangs as failed and installed simultaneously in DOA). And Shale is ok really, though not for such price tag. Warden's Keep on the other hand is a total fail, IMO. Seems unfair to charge 7$ for 2-hour quest, when customer paid 50-60$ for the game itself.I paid less for boxed TW EE.

AzureKite said:
AzureKite said:
Stone Prisoner is HUGE. There are two quests, lots of dialogue, a lot of party chatter...And it's free if you bought the game new.
Yeah, I know its download coupon is included with the game (except maybe for non-deluxe digital), but it could've been there from the beginning. Besides there are problems with its installation, which haven't been completely dealt with even by now (I had to install it manually, still hangs as failed and installed simultaneously in DOA). And Shale is ok really, though not for such price tag. Warden's Keep on the other hand is a total fail, IMO. Seems unfair to charge 7$ for 2-hour quest, when customer paid 50-60$ for the game itself.I paid less for boxed TW EE.
Yes and Dragon age could have been twice longer and there could ahve been moer weapons etc etc... it isn't there from the beginning because they thought the content wouldn't be in the game... so a free download is good enough

Having played both games they both have there pro's and con's. However I do prefer TW overall. The biggest challenge I have with DA:O is the loot system is real cr*p. And the alchemy is not much better either. Both these things in the witcher are far superior in every way. However I do like the party ability in DA:O.Zoozer

I'm coming from a different position then most... I got dragon age but after two weeks and maybe half way through I just got tired of it, endless dungeons with fighting in each room, and the AI was so horrid you had to micromanage everything, honestly I don't know if I will be getting DA:O2(might get mass effect 2 though because I loved the first one).... HOWEVERI just bought the Witcher over the holidays for 13 bucks, and its the best 13 bucks i've spent in a long time.. for me the Witcher is just leaps and bounds better in most aspects, I also love the over the shoulder view and I don't play in any other view.. I grow tired of the whole 3rd person isometric view rpgs for the most part.I am eagerly awaiting witcher 2, and I'm not to chapter 3 yet in the first :p.as for the witcher story itself, I've known about it for some time and saw youtube videos from the tv/movie etc and it always looked interesting, I'm kicking myself I didn't get into the books and game sooner.

AI in DA:O is only as good as the tactics you give them. Seriously.Also, you can play it in OTS mode (zoom all the way in), but not recommended on the PC (since the console encounters got nerfed due to the whole game being locked in OTS mode) .. totally different game, really.As for ME2, I already have a "perfect" save in ME1 to transfer ... ;D ... was about halfway through making a second one (with totally different choices), when I figured I don't need to.My guess is, my save will unlock a bunch of stuff, and I'll just start a second "new" game in ME2 and answer the questionnaire accordingly.Although, I'm quite proud of my female shepard's looks ... made her a middle-aged korean ... and hot (I have the numbers written down, too).

They're different games, not sure how you can compare them.I really liked both, which is surprising for me. Also, being a warrior or a mage doesn't make you 'miss out on parts of the game', it's called 'choices and consequences' of your actions. You can explore the other choices in subsequent play throughs. I have my Dragon Age review here, and it seems I've lost my Witcher review. I'll have to write up another one.

I love Dragon Age. I have it for the PC and I am partying like it is 1999. Seriously. I own both DA and Torchlight. Torchlight feels like the first Diablo and DA is very reminiscent of Baldur's Gate, heh. I am really looking forward to playing through The Witcher. I've played the demo and as it stands, I don't think one game (DA or TW) is better then the other, because both deliver unique RPG experiences. I shall get in to the meat of the full Witcher game after it finishes downloading... *waits somewhat patiently*

I love Dragon Age, and I'm a bit of a bioware fanboy, so beware. But it has its flaws. It's not as polished as it could be, and no wide open areas to explore. As for the witcher, I haven't got past the tutorial area yet. But it seems cool. I hear the story doesn't really get good until you get to your first town. The tutorial itself is kind of bland. So I can say for sure Dragon Age's origins blow away the opening area in TW. Except maybe the Dalish Elf origin in DA, that was kind of lame. While the controls and camera angle in TW aren't that good, I can tell I'm going to like the story. It's worth it to put up with the clunky controls. I just can't seem to find a camera mode that suits me. I tried all 3 and movement is awkward. I find F2 to be the best mix of action that you can see decently (not zoomed too far out) but be able to move easily. Using wasd and mouse to move is really weird. It doesn't seem to work as well as World of Warcraft or Oblivion (although that is first person view).

I think the bottom line is if you liked one get the other. Both have there perks and downfalls, But they are both worth playing. DAO is a bit exspensive at $70 for the deluxe edition. But I was almost to 100 hours my first playthrew. So dollars per hour is well worth the price compared to allot of other forms of intertainment.

Ruges said:
I think the bottom line is if you liked one get the other. Both have there perks and downfalls, But they are both worth playing. DAO is a bit exspensive at $70 for the deluxe edition. But I was almost to 100 hours my first playthrew. So dollars per hour is well worth the price compared to allot of other forms of intertainment.
I got really lucky... I actually won my copy of the deluxe edition through a twitter contest. Very cool, eh? I didn't have the money to buy it at the time... They asked a question about baldur's gate "What organization did Jaheira and Kahlid belong to?" Top three answers one a free game..very cool.

sweet, easy question too (if you played bg1 or 2)yeah they both have their advantages and disadvantages. most likely if you like one you'll like the other. I'm getting much more into it now I'm near the end of chapter 1. The tutorial prologue is kind of linear and bland, but it takes off after that. The alchemy is much more interesting in this game. The spells (signs) are more bland, but they aren't as overpowered as a few of the mage spells in DA. Although they are powerful, and even playing melee style it is very useful to use them. TW has a little more world to explore (though still limited compared to games such as Oblivion), and it has characters that give it more of a live feeling. Something DA should have done, but maybe they just didn't want to devote extra resources towards it (which I feel was a mistake). DA does have better dialogue (written and voice acted).

Dragon Age is a great game in terms of gameplay, replayability and story. But, despite all the great characters, the DA world just doesn't feel organic. The lack of proper vegetation, animals, sounds of nature and all the other details in the game environment, fails to create immersive atmosphere. Also, the game isn't unique and original as expected. Therefore, in my opinion, Witcher and Mass Effect are better games overall.

good point! the fact that the critters like cats and dogs were mostly just statues in DA:O was really a let down :peace: TW really got that right with all the critters moving of their own accord

Goranhr said:
Dragon Age is a great game in terms of gameplay, replayability and story. But, despite all the great characters, the DA world just doesn't feel organic. The lack of proper vegetation, animals, sounds of nature and all the other details in the game environment, fails to create immersive atmosphere. Also, the game isn't unique and original as expected. Therefore, in my opinion, Witcher and Mass Effect are better games overall.
I definitely agree with this, while the lore and world they created for DA;O is very good, it does not transfer into the game itself, the world feels hollow. It's almost like when you play a mmorpg that you know the people created the world just to go in line with where to level next, instead of creating the world just for the world.I think this is the reason why the Witcher has captivated me, that and many others overall. I am looking forward to the Witcher 2, but I won't be bothering with DA:O 2 unless they change things. Mass Effect 2 should be good though!

I Love just running through flocks of ducks and chickens in The Witcher :) That is a very awesome thing you don't see in a lot of games.

I am only up to the 2nd chapter of The Witcher, but at the point I would say I found DA:O more captivating. Obviously this is only a temporary opinion as I can't reliably comment until I have played through The Witcher.I am enjoying the dialogue and story in both games, I'm arguably more impressed or humoured by some of the lines in The Witcher though. However, when it comes to the combat I would tend to prefer DA:O as I find it more enjoyable as it has a greater tactical emphasis. With that said, at least the battles in The Witcher are challenging, I had a few issues with the initial beast - while in DA:O every single boss was a push over.

deejrandom said:
I Love just running through flocks of ducks and chickens in The Witcher :) That is a very awesome thing you don't see in a lot of games.
Played Crisis? You can pick the chickens up and throw them at people.

MR said:
MR said:
Played Crisis? You can pick the chickens up and throw them at people.
Do any of them say, "Gee, thanks for the chicken"? :D

Top Bottom