Dragon Age

+
RogueRoxy said:
No. Bioware won't talk about the DRM at all.
I'm not too surprised. Disappointed, but not surprised. I wish more people would wait to find out this sort of information before immediately pledging to buy it. Companies would (fear?) take their customers seriously if this were the case. :|
RogueRoxy said:
Besides, I think it's Atari's call.
They're publishing through EA instead of Atari from what I've read.

I don't think there'll ever be a "Bioware recommends a non-EA game" on their site again since they've been bought up. But yes, I also first learned about the Witcher on Bioware's site.As for Bioware games, I honestly think they are all great. Baldur's Gate and KOTOR were instant classics and Neverwinter Nights, even though maybe not as great as a singleplayer game as the others, has introduced me to the world of RPGs, hooked me up and wouldn't let me go again for years, it's single handedly the best multiplayer game I've played, and it still continues. That's the part where The Witcher can be blown away for me personally, I love the multiplayer part, I played NWN for years, and now I play NWN2 online even though I hated the original game. And that's where Dragon Age disappoints me most, a lot of us RPing nuts have been hoping for a replacement for the buggy and clunky NWN2, almost everyone I know would switch to Dragon Age immediately would it just offer the multiplayer experience NWN1 was. The toolset already seems to be better than NWN2's, but I and most people I play with couldn't care less about a toolset without multiplayer, that's where the Witcher failed me too. As a singleplayer game, I will get Dragon Age and hope it will be fun for a while, just like the Witcher was, or Mass Effect if we talk Bioware. But as a singleplayer game, no recent RPG can stand up to the Witcher, TW is a little masterpiece. As a game with the multiplayer part NWN had, DA would rock. But so would the Witcher.

Chrisso said:
I don't think there'll ever be a "Bioware recommends a non-EA game" on their site again since they've been bought up. But yes, I also first learned about the Witcher on Bioware's site.As for Bioware games, I honestly think they are all great. Baldur's Gate and KOTOR were instant classics and Neverwinter Nights, even though maybe not as great as a singleplayer game as the others, has introduced me to the world of RPGs, hooked me up and wouldn't let me go again for years, it's single handedly the best multiplayer game I've played, and it still continues. That's the part where The Witcher can be blown away for me personally, I love the multiplayer part, I played NWN for years, and now I play NWN2 online even though I hated the original game. And that's where Dragon Age disappoints me most, a lot of us RPing nuts have been hoping for a replacement for the buggy and clunky NWN2, almost everyone I know would switch to Dragon Age immediately would it just offer the multiplayer experience NWN1 was. The toolset already seems to be better than NWN2's, but I and most people I play with couldn't care less about a toolset without multiplayer, that's where the Witcher failed me too.
When you're talking about multiplayer with NWN, you're talking about small-party multiplayer, though, not massively multiplayer?You see, the thing is, D'Jinni does have the full Aurora engine underneath it, and it does still have all the multiplayer hooks. So a small-party multiplayer mod for the Witcher is almost certainly possible - I'm not saying it would be easy but it could certainly be done. I'm confident that you could build a mod in which (e.g.) one person could play Geralt, one person could play Triss, one person could play Zoltan, one person could play Dandelion, all in the same environment at the same time - and there you've got both the fun of small-party multiplayer and the glorious environment and character art of The Witcher.My next game will have multiple playable characters. We're just at the planning stage at this moment and I'm currently working on the idea of just two, but more is definitely possible. And at this stage we haven't said 'both of them are playable at once', but again that isn't impossible. However we probably won't use D'Jinni and we certainly won't use The Witcher art...But if you want to put together a modding team to build a multiplayer Witcher, I'm pretty sure it can be done.

I'm one of those that prefers single-player... I look for games that have specifically single-player as option at least. I like being able to just disappear off into the game world, not have to deal with people (yes, I am a lone wolf for the most part). the DRM question is something that I am NOT thrilled about, but so long as the game that I have purchased is actually playable, the existence of DRM won't make me not purchase a creation by a developer that I know has a track record of creating games that I enjoy immensely.

gamewidow said:
I agree ... but there are those rare cases when it would be fun to play ... say against hubby :evil:
My hubby is totally NOT a gamer.... I've been gaming ever since the early/mid 90s, when we bought a 486 SX 50 with a blistering 4 mb of RAM... and a copy of DOOM....Hubby has seen me game, has asked the occasional question about how whatever game I'm playing is going, admires my fansite.... and just doesn't have any interest in gaming. Until today he actually has NEVER PLAYED A COMPUTER GAME except for a few rounds of Chessmaster 4000 many years ago, and then only because he used to play tournament chess (the kind with live people and actual physical chess pieces on a table). Outside of the few rounds against chessmaster, the only game he has ever played was literally tonight.... and only because I forwarded him the url for the online flash game where you throw shoes at President Bush. (Hubby holds strong political opinions about our Fearless Leader).So... playing NWN or WOW against hubby I think is not likely for me......

Well, Dragon Age. Loved Baldur's Gate 2, even though the rules often confused me... KotOR was brilliant (even the second one was good in my opinion).Dragon Age though... I don't know, the released information up to now somehow does not make me react. I am neither looking forward to it nor not wanting it to come.However, I think it will be pretty good though.On the other hand the Star Wars MMO has me somewhat excited, hopefully they'll go the "Guild Wars Road", without monthly fees :angel:

Starwolf said:
I'm one of those that prefers single-player... I look for games that have specifically single-player as option at least. I like being able to just disappear off into the game world, not have to deal with people (yes, I am a lone wolf for the most part).
I usually prefer single-player games, and I don't have much interest in playing with strangers, MMO style. On the other hand, it would be fun to play with you or Cassandra or Lovely Psycho or The Silver or folks like that. My husband wants to play games but almost never has enough time. He's up to Chapter 2 in The Witcher but hasn't had time to finish. He got World of Goo for Christmas and has played for an hour here and an hour there. You know you're living wrong when there's no time for games. :D
the DRM question is something that I am NOT thrilled about, but so long as the game that I have purchased is actually playable, the existence of DRM won't make me not purchase a creation by a developer that I know has a track record of creating games that I enjoy immensely.
I didn't buy Spore, in spite of having enjoyed Will Wright's past creations, because I think EA's DRM is getting out of hand, and I think Will Wright is one of the few people with enough clout to talk to them about it. The big companies will abuse gamers just as much as we will stand for, and so I think the path of change is to not stand for it. There are a lot of indie game companies these days, making a lot of cool games without DRM, and I'd rather support them than support companies that treat their legitimate customers like criminals. Most indie game companies can't afford bleeding-edge graphics, but they can make games that are innovative and interesting. My aged eyes aren't good enough to appreciate the very best graphics, anyway. :D

That was my one and only resolution for 2009 and I completed it already. I wrote actual letters to the Heads/CEOs/Directors of the 6 gaming companies I have the most games from and explained to them why I was irritated with their DRM usages. I don't have a problem with them holding people accountable, what I have a problem with is some companies deciding my personal computer's security is not as important as their sales. So, I wrote to them each and said, "I have $3000. I can spend it either on a new computer, after your $50 game with DRM restrictions that compromise my security causes a major meltdown on my motherboard or hard drive, OR, I can buy 60 new games. Which would you prefer?"I'm still thinking about Dragon Age and Left for Dead. I actually bought the Witcher because it was a single-player game though I wouldn't be opposed to occasional co-op play... you know, in person, where you can see the person you're playing with and can pause to get munchies or whatever when you want.

Treasa said:
That was my one and only resolution for 2009 and I completed it already. I wrote actual letters to the Heads/CEOs/Directors of the 6 gaming companies I have the most games from and explained to them why I was irritated with their DRM usages. I don't have a problem with them holding people accountable, what I have a problem with is some companies deciding my personal computer's security is not as important as their sales. So, I wrote to them each and said, "I have $3000. I can spend it either on a new computer, after your $50 game with DRM restrictions that compromise my security causes a major meltdown on my motherboard or hard drive, OR, I can buy 60 new games. Which would you prefer?"
Good for you! That sounds very cool.

Treasa said:
That was my one and only resolution for 2009 and I completed it already. I wrote actual letters to the Heads/CEOs/Directors of the 6 gaming companies I have the most games from and explained to them why I was irritated with their DRM usages.
To be honest I think that DRM is becoming a dead issue. Even the big game companies are now accepting that it doesn't stop piracy and the only people it hurts are their legitimate paying customers. I predict over the next year you will see fewer and fewer games with any DRM at all.

SimonBrooke said:
To be honest I think that DRM is becoming a dead issue. Even the big game companies are now accepting that it doesn't stop piracy and the only people it hurts are their legitimate paying customers. I predict over the next year you will see fewer and fewer games with any DRM at all.
Wow. That seems incredibly optimistic to me. (This not working on a module stuff seems to be good for you. :D) I'd be thrilled if you were right, but I'd be amazed to see a company like EA say, "We were wrong. Sorry. No DRM from now on."

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
Wow. That seems incredibly optimistic to me. (This not working on a module stuff seems to be good for you. :D) I'd be thrilled if you were right, but I'd be amazed to see a company like EA say, "We were wrong. Sorry. No DRM from now on."
They don't do things to hurt their customers deliberately. Hurting their customers is something they were doing as a side effect of trying to hurt the pirates. But the pirates were able to break the DRM and so weren't deterred, and so as a scheme to deter pirates it completely failed. Meantime, as a scheme to deter actual paying customers, it has succeeded. The big game companies are beginning to acknowledge this publicly. They don't want to commit commercial suicide, so DRM will go.At least, that's what I think. It doesn't seem optimistic, to me, so much as the inevitable consequence of market forces.

I know that a number of you are interested in Dragon Age, so I thought I'd alert you that this month's (March ?!) issue of PC Gamer has a NINE-page article about it. The author of the article says that PC Gamer was given a world exclusive, so this is supposedly the only hands-on, play-tested preview.If you're interested, the article is on pages 30 - 39; there's also a trailer on the CD, if you get the version that comes with CD.PC Gamer is based in California, and I have no idea if the magazine is available outside of North America. [size=4pt](If it isn't, I might be convinced to send you the article if 1. You're especially interested in this game, and 2. I like you a lot. ;))[/size]

This game looks interesting, really interesting, can't wait to see if it is really good.
Corylea said:
[size=4pt](If it isn't, I might be convinced to send you the article if 1. You're especially interested in this game, and 2. I like you a lot. ;))[/size]
Pick me, me, me, me, me!Please, pretty please.

now the PC game is delayed so that the 360/PS3 gets it at the same time as the PChere's the latest console-cuddling and other BS from Electronic Arts:Finally, Riccitiello admitted that the rationale for delaying Dragon Age may sound a bit odd, but said, "Too much quality can make you reassess your options." The game was shaping up to be so epic in scale, quality, and innovation--according to Riccitiello--that EA thought it would make for a stronger launch to have the console versions of the game arrive at the same time as the PC edition. Additionally, the time would allow for extra polishing of the content. http://www.gamespot.com/news/6204057.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;3"Too much quality"... that's funny

If you guys haven't seen the new trailer, you're in for total rip-off about halfway through. Well TBH, I'm not sure that drowner-killing cutscene when entering sewers for the first time is completely original - but it's at least much more stylish!

The latest edition of PC Gamer just arrived in the mail, and the cover story is a lengthy review of Dragon Age: Origins. I can't summarize the entire article in a sentence or two, but the guys at PC Gamer LOVED it. They mention a story-driven game in a mature, gritty world with real problems, including such things as racism and rape, where the player's decisions have real consequences. Their short summary at the end says, "An outstanding story-driven RPG with fantastic writing, RPG depth and tough tactical combat. It's BioWare's best RPG since Baldur's Gate 2. 92%" Even more impressive is the final paragraph of the review: "Without any doubt, Dragon Age accomplishes the mission once announced by BioWare co-founder Dr. Ray Muzyka: to deliver the best story-driven RPG in the world.It sounds like our beloved CDPR will need to make The Witcher 2 jaw-droppingly outstanding, if they want to compete with this game. Of course, I'm sure that they can, in the sense that I'm sure they have the necessary talent and heart. I just hope they'll have enough resources to put those to good use.Anyway, it sounds like Dragon Age: Origins will be a worthy use of our time until The Witcher 2 is done. (At least, it will be for those of you who aren't obsessively making a new adventure. I love what I'm doing ... but I also want to be finished. Soon. Very soon.)

I'm playing DA:O as I type this as a human female rogue. My husband bought for me this for my 360 early for my birthday. I have enjoyed BioWare games since Balder's Gate. I'm not too worried about the Witcher 2 competing. There's companions, dialog, and companion influence (like NWN 2 and KOTOR 2). The choice of your decisions matters in how your companions see you. Plus, certain specialization classes are unlocked by companions. There is at least two romantic arcs for both female and male Player Characters. The combat has an auto attack, and you place your character skills on a "hotbar" (at least for the Xbox). I am about 15 hours into it and am about 22% done. My origin story made me cry somewhat at the end. I have seen the racism in the first origin story. yet, I haven't seen any rape or mention yet. After this play through, I will probably play as an elf origin and see that side.

Top Bottom