Driving Handling, or How to "get" it

+
And you don't get the weird twitching every time you try to speed up after slowing down? Any chance you could do a short video of you driving so i can compare with mine? I'm honestly starting to think it's a bug on my end with how few reports i've seen of this.

And you don't get the weird twitching every time you try to speed up after slowing down? Any chance you could do a short video of you driving so i can compare with mine? I'm honestly starting to think it's a bug on my end with how few reports i've seen of this.
I don't have photo/video host and haven't played game with game version 1.31 (my last playthrough was with 1.3) but I haven't had this issue. I'm on Xbox One X. Issue you have sounds pretty bad though, as I have enjoyed cruising in the city, especially City Center.

What's your platform and controller? I don't even remember if there is a setting for trigger response though.

Nope, I have to press very little on the trigger (the same for the braking, to remain "soft" and not to block the wheels. It's obvious on the motorcycles and even more on the ARCH). But I can drive around Night City at "constent" low speed (like 50-60 mph) without any problem and without leaving tire marks at every turn :)

And even in "high" speed, I can do North Oak turns without tire marks. But you have to "carefully dose" the accelerator and the braking for that (I think it's impossible on the keyboard, that's for sure). It's very pleasant with the Quadra Vtec, Johnny's Porshe or the Kusanagi.

Last edited:
I don't have photo/video host and haven't played game with game version 1.31 (my last playthrough was with 1.3) but I haven't had this issue. I'm on Xbox One X. Issue you have sounds pretty bad though, as I have enjoyed cruising in the city, especially City Center.

What's your platform and controller? I don't even remember if there is a setting for trigger response though.

I'm playing on PC with an xbox controller, never had an issue like this in any game.

Nope, I have to press very little on the trigger (the same for the braking, to remain "soft" and not to block the wheels. It's obvious on the motorcycles and even more on the ARCH). But I can drive around Night City at "constent" low speed (like 50-60 mph) without any problem and without leaving tire marks at every turn :)

And even in "high" speed, I can do North Oak turns without tire marks. But you have to "carefully dose" the accelerator and the braking for that (I think it's impossible on the keyboard, that's for sure). It's very pleasant with the Quadra Vtec, Johnny's Porshe or the Kusanagi.

Oh i know exactly what you mean, i drive like this in every game, never had a single issue with smoothness or anything.
I've seen like 2 videos where people are driving smoothly, and while their cars do have a visible "twitch" when changing gears, it's nowhere near as pronounced as mine.

Oh i know exactly what you mean, i drive like this in every game, never had a single issue with smoothness or anything.
I've seen like 2 videos where people are driving smoothly, and while their cars do have a visible "twitch" when changing gears, it's nowhere near as pronounced as mine.
You are on which platform ?
Some have similar issues on Steam. So maybe directly via the launcher, you could adjust the sensitivity of the triggers.
Or maybe also directly from windows

That doesn't actually seem to be the problem as the vehicles do react properly, apart from the moment when they shift. I ended up installing Dr1ve yesterday (it's a handling mod) and it somehow seems to have lowered how often it happens. It's still there, just not as frequently. I noticed it's most often at about 40km/h.

I mostly drive like I drive in the real world. Meaning I'm not coming full speed on every turn sliding with the hand brake but rather I just slow down, turn normally and accelerate. With motorbikes I tend to drift more but overall I don't feel that the driving is too bad. It's definitely not the best but it's not the worst either.

I mostly drive like I drive in the real world. Meaning I'm not coming full speed on every turn sliding with the hand brake but rather I just slow down, turn normally and accelerate. With motorbikes I tend to drift more but overall I don't feel that the driving is too bad. It's definitely not the best but it's not the worst either.

Well, at this point i'm convinced it's a bug and am reinstalling the whole game. If anyone happens to have a video of them driving the way Jep1st and i drive, please do post it, preferably in a Mai Mai or one of the other cheaper cars.

Yeah, the "driving" is absolutely awful in this game. They CDPR either; cannot code decent driving, or they ran out of time .. like with a lot of things.

I find the driving with motorcycles annoying, a lot of wiggling when you turn. You have to be able to do a gentle wide turn or it becomes weird.
I have no issues with cars though(using kayboard on PC), I can drive fast through the city and unless the AI gets in the way, it goes pretty well. Some cars have really bad brakes however.

Well, at this point i'm convinced it's a bug and am reinstalling the whole game. If anyone happens to have a video of them driving the way Jep1st and i drive, please do post it, preferably in a Mai Mai or one of the other cheaper cars.
Think I understand what you mean. Didn't at first, but think now I do. The car while going forwards with its tires slipping. Guessing now but, what I think is happening is the car is driving forwards with both acceleration and deceleration activated simultaneously. Experienced it a couple of times myself.

In the previous playthrough experienced an anomaly during the passenger trip with River going to the market. His vehicle was slipping practically the entire trip. The shrieking was so loud, could barely understand River...or V.

We got in the car and started driving. Almost immediately the tires began to slip. The shrieking sounded with the speed of Morse code at first. It stopped for a moment when River braked to make a turn. After the turn as River accelerated, it started up again. This time it sounded steady and in sync with the vehicle as it slowly drove faster. The car was braking and accelerating at the same time. Very obvious to hear.

It finally stopped when River decelerated to park his car at the market. This was the very first time I experienced this. Never occurred before during the earlier playthroughs.

At first I thought that it couldn't be mod related, but after some thinking, came to the conclusion that it is highly likely to be caused by mods.

Recently installed a couple of mods that raised the top speed of most of the faster cars, and some other things too. Among them, the Caliburn. When in vanilla, whenever I had driven the Caliburn in reverse, the moment it should go forward, it would reverse a couple of meters, before actually going forward. The softer I would press the button, the faster and further it would shoot in reverse.

That never happened again once this mod was active.

Although I think the anomaly with River is a standalone one, (particularly concerning his driving skills), as all cars seem to be full automatics, think maybe the "jilt" you notice when accelerating after deceleration, is maybe simply the gearbox doing its work? I notice it too, but only when I stamp on the choo, no at all when softly pressing it.

It's like in any game with cars. When you finally get a hang of it you can drive pretty good.

BUT...
I gotta agree, cars are rather wonky.
Driving on a smooth road can be bumpy. The car bounces around from nothing.
The cars are sliding way too easy, as if everyone are using slicks.
The brakes are also really bad. Press the brake/reverse button and the car keeps rolling for ages. Sure if you're at high speed, the brakedistance should be rather long, but this is ridiculous. Maybe the distance is correct for the speed on the speedometer, but 60 sure don't feel like 60.

I'de say.
Lower the speed on the speedometer and shorten the brakedistance.

Bikes are also kinda wierd.
If you accelarate from a stand still, you can barely turn at all. The need better turnradius. But that propably also has to do with the speed on the speedometer, not how fast you actually drive in the world.

In the previous playthrough experienced an anomaly during the passenger trip with River going to the market. His vehicle was slipping practically the entire trip. The shrieking was so loud, could barely understand River...or V.
It's was in which version of the game ?
Previous 1.23 ? Because before, there was a serious (and annoying as hell) bug with most NPCs who drive with you (Jackie, River. Rogue,... strangely, not Panam or Judy) where wheels "still" blocked and the sound was horrible during all the ride :(
It seem in 1.23, CDPR have removed the sound (the blocked wheel mark was still there). But now, since 1.3, it is completely fixed it seems to me (no more sound, no more trace).

It's was in which version of the game ?
Previous 1.23 ? Because before, there was a serious (and annoying as hell) bug with most NPCs who drive with you (Jackie, River. Rogue,... strangely, not Panam or Judy) where wheels "still" blocked and the sound was horrible during all the ride :(
It seem in 1.23, CDPR have removed the sound (the blocked wheel mark was still there). But now, since 1.3, it is completely fixed it seems to me (no more sound, no more trace).
Yes, 1.23 and earlier. Thought it was just bad pathing by, particularly River. Long time ago someone posted how he drives when V decides NOT to go with him. Showed him driving on the pedestrian walkway running everyone down. Driving with him during the last trip, he sways left and right, like a raging drunk. And that's a cop!? Starting to think he just photoshopped his driver's license.
Post automatically merged:

Have a vid with the Mai Mai. Can drive easily with a steady speed. Later I try to accelerate from below 20mph, but cannot do that without the car bouncing heavily up and down. Guess that's what you mean? Other cars do that too, only some less than others. It's been in the game like since forever. Seems more like a consequence of the driving mechanic of the game, than an actual bug, but am only guessing.

Last edited:
It's like in any game with cars. When you finally get a hang of it you can drive pretty good.

BUT...
I gotta agree, cars are rather wonky.
Driving on a smooth road can be bumpy. The car bounces around from nothing.
Hasn't encountered this on Xbox One X.
The cars are sliding way too easy, as if everyone are using slicks.
Opposite, cars have almost unnatural grip relative to speed. By slicks you probably mean worn tires with no thread left (slicks are kinda opposite what you mean).
The brakes are also really bad. Press the brake/reverse button and the car keeps rolling for ages. Sure if you're at high speed, the brakedistance should be rather long, but this is ridiculous. Maybe the distance is correct for the speed on the speedometer, but 60 sure don't feel like 60.
I have only felt this is an issue with Thorton Colby C125. Didn't try all the cars available during my 1.23 and 1.3 runs though.
I'de say.
Lower the speed on the speedometer and shorten the brakedistance.
On PC if there's option available higher FOV would give better sense of speed. Other than that, yeah it's complicated. Ignoring the in-game speedometer Rayfield Caliburn has performance of second generation Chevrolet Camaro (which is nothing not to appreciate but still).
Bikes are also kinda wierd.
If you accelarate from a stand still, you can barely turn at all. The need better turnradius. But that propably also has to do with the speed on the speedometer, not how fast you actually drive in the world.
Turning radius is indeed weird. I think that might have something to do with players on keyboard and mouse, only developers know which is great accessibility feature but it would be good if there were alternate controls for players using gamepads.

Yes, 1.23 and earlier. Thought it was just bad pathing by, particularly River. Long time ago someone posted how he drives when V decides NOT to go with him. Showed him driving on the pedestrian walkway running everyone down. Driving with him during the last trip, he sways left and right, like a raging drunk. And that's a cop!? Starting to think he just photoshopped his driver's license.
Post automatically merged:

Have a vid with the Mai Mai. Can drive easily with a steady speed. Later I try to accelerate from below 20mph, but cannot do that without the car bouncing heavily up and down. Guess that's what you mean? Other cars do that too, only some less than others. It's been in the game like since forever. Seems more like a consequence of the driving mechanic of the game, than an actual bug, but am only guessing.

Yes, exactly that, that annoying bounce the car does whenever V downshifts, most notably around 40, which is the speed limit in Night City (at least according to the few speed limit signs i've seen) and the speed most of the traffic seems to move, so driving in first person with a gamepad trying to drive as realistically as possible ends up in most vehicles hopping and skipping down the street, which is just horrible. Should've just copied the gearbox system from any other game or simply shouldn't have tried to make it "realistic" or whatever they were going for there. And if they wanted realistic, then they should've just given us manual transmission and wheel support, i'll gladly hook up my G29.

Honestly, if it's because of the driving mechanic, then that driving mechanic needs to be scrapped or fixed. I can literally drive a crappy Yugo from the 80s without it skipping and hopping down the street, meanwhile V can't even drive his own old nomad car without missing the RPM on nearly every downshift.

Someone mentioned steering, it's not great, definitely needs a linearity option though. Manageable on cars, annoyingly bad on motorcyles, which is why i don't use any. Not sure what the devs were going for there, as it's neither fun nor realistic in first person. 3rd person seems a bit better, but i'm literally never in 3rd person in this game.

But give credit where credit is due, vehicles are truly that retro futuristic mix of neon, lights and 80s future vision and i will love them for that forever, also the vehicles sound freakin' awesome and every vehicle sounds exactly as it looks.

Yes, exactly that, that annoying bounce the car does whenever V downshifts, most notably around 40, which is the speed limit in Night City (at least according to the few speed limit signs i've seen) and the speed most of the traffic seems to move, so driving in first person with a gamepad trying to drive as realistically as possible ends up in most vehicles hopping and skipping down the street, which is just horrible. Should've just copied the gearbox system from any other game or simply shouldn't have tried to make it "realistic" or whatever they were going for there. And if they wanted realistic, then they should've just given us manual transmission and wheel support, i'll gladly hook up my G29.

Honestly, if it's because of the driving mechanic, then that driving mechanic needs to be scrapped or fixed. I can literally drive a crappy Yugo from the 80s without it skipping and hopping down the street, meanwhile V can't even drive his own old nomad car without missing the RPM on nearly every downshift.

Someone mentioned steering, it's not great, definitely needs a linearity option though. Manageable on cars, annoyingly bad on motorcyles, which is why i don't use any. Not sure what the devs were going for there, as it's neither fun nor realistic in first person. 3rd person seems a bit better, but i'm literally never in 3rd person in this game.

But give credit where credit is due, vehicles are truly that retro futuristic mix of neon, lights and 80s future vision and i will love them for that forever, also the vehicles sound freakin' awesome and every vehicle sounds exactly as it looks.
Yeah, know what you mean. Ignored the Mai Mai in particular in the beginning, because couldn't drive it due to the heaving bouncing. But as I became familiar with the game, really started to enjoy it more and more, until it became one of my top favorites. Since then, just ignoring the heavy bouncing, and actually even enjoying it. It also bounces around over the beautiful not so worn roads this city is so full of.

Coincidently saw a guy in front of me accelerate from a traffic light in real life, when his car bounced up and down violently when he put it in first gear, just like the Mai Mai. That's when I thought about this thread. Decided to observe eventual other vehicles, and realized it occurs quite a bit.

Think that's what the devs tried to mimic. Maybe due to the perception of the game-time, it is being executed faster than in real life, as thus WE, are perceiving it as an irritating jilt.

You could consider to pass it to Support, but chances are, they may going to tell you that it's part of the drive mechanic, and working as intended. To be honest, I myself couldn't possibly imagine having to drive without.

The majority of the GTA franchise? :LOL:

And obviously racing games. I'd say Far Cry 5 had better driving mechanics than CP77 does! And that's a low bar! :LOL:
Only GTA with good driving model was GTA IV so I agree to disagree on that.

CP 2077 hardly is a racing game, but I haven't encountered any issues with winning Street Racing events in The Beast with version 1.06, 1.23 and 1.3. For what I like in CP 2077 is that cars have genuinely different features and driving feels surprisingly rewarding once I learned how they work. Done quite a bit of drifting too, though that there isn't manual gearing available limits what can be done there.

There's also that I don't think racing game physics would serve majority of players. I could deal very well with physics from Project Cars 2, but I really doubt that would be for everyone and don't see why it should for a story driven game.

For me it's about middle-ground. What I wrote earlier in this topic, I can do 140 mph in North Watson with V's Hella and enjoy it because of challenge, alternative would be make cars drive like they were on rails and that would be utterly boring.

Top Bottom