Driving in Cyberpunk ....

+
Hello Guys/Gals & the people in CD Projekt Red

So far, I'm loving the experience I have with cyberpunk 2077 on the PC, and where I'm glad you guys are fixing a lot of bugs that are in the game, In which I think is great. However, when playing the game something that did come to mind while I was playing the game and that is driving.

In my experience when it comes to driving in the game it is sadly one of my least favorites in the game. However, I understand why the best part of the driving game is to look around Night City as seeing the beautiful details you guys made this game. While you guys are doing the patching for this game and I want to be just a suggestion traveling through the city. The major one is that can you please tune-up when it comes to driving the vehicles around the city. The reason in my experience with driving especially with the cars in the game is very choppy. I believe it should be tune-up at least in the next couple of patches to make the driving at least smoother.

For example, when I drive the car, I feel like I don't have any control when it comes to driving the car. the movement of the car kind of goes all over the place and causing crashes. Comparing, to when I ride the motorcycle is not as bad where I'm not crashing all over the place and causing accidents compared to driving most of the cars in the game. While driving the motorcycles are not as bad as driving the car. I do feel like driving in the game should be tuned up and be smoother.

There is something borked with the handling, for sure but you do get accustomed to it a little.

There are advanced settings in the settings menu. If you open them you can tweak things like steering. That can help a lot. As far as the choppiness you get from frame drops when driving fast, we'll have to wait for more optimization patches.

Here'es a fix for PC:

"Choppyness" / Flickering / Staggering:

In
\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc

Edit /Put a file called DrawDistanceBoost.ini with the following in it:

[Streaming]
DistanceBoost = 45.000000

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Driving:

In
\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\engine\config\platform\pc

Edit /Put a file called vehiclehandling.ini with the following in it:

[Vehicle]
EnableSmoothWheelContacts = false
ForceSimplifiedMovement = true

or if you like to customize it / More realistic Handbrake at speed:

[Vehicle]
EnableAirResistane = true
EnableFreeRotationResistantTorque = true
EnableLowVelStoppingResistance = false
EnableSmoothWheelContacts = true
ForceMoveToMaxAngularSpeed = 100.000000
ForceMoveToMaxLinearSpeed = 30.000000
ForceSimplifiedMovement = true
MaxForceMoveToTeleportThreshold = 50.000000
VelocitySmoothingTime = 0.500000
WeightTransferMode = 1

Souce: CalinZ2 at Mod Nexus

Last edited:
The driving mechanics are really bad, but it's their first try at such mechanics so I'm not too bothered, especially since driving is such a small part of the game.

My original text:
Мне очень понравилось вождение в Cyberpunk 2077!!! Не надо его менять!!!! Это потрясающе реалистичная модель, наличие коробки переключения передач просто супер идея! Не знаю как можно жаловаться на это управление, ну серьезно ребята. Привыкли к аркадному стилю в гта 5, а тут более реалистичная модель как в гта 4 и это большой плюс, в поведении машин есть жизнь, каждая машина ощущается по своему. Я получаю море удовольствия от вождения авто в этой игре и не хотел бы чтобы разработчики что-то меняли в угоду аркадности. Единственная проблема это нереалистичный поворот мотоциклов на малой скорости, ведущее колесо не соответствует углу поворота.

translation into english:

I really enjoyed driving in Cyberpunk 2077 !!! No need to change it !!!! This is an amazingly realistic model, having a gearbox is just a super idea! I don't know how to complain about this management, well, seriously guys. We got used to the arcade style in GTA 5, but here is a more realistic model like in GTA 4 and this is a big plus, there is life in the behavior of cars, each car feels differently. I get a lot of pleasure from driving a car in this game and would not want the developers to change something for the sake of arcade.

The only problem is the unrealistic turn of the motorcycles at low speed, the drive wheel does not match the steering angle.

My original text:
Мне очень понравилось вождение в Cyberpunk 2077!!! Не надо его менять!!!! Это потрясающе реалистичная модель, наличие коробки переключения передач просто супер идея! Не знаю как можно жаловаться на это управление, ну серьезно ребята. Привыкли к аркадному стилю в гта 5, а тут более реалистичная модель как в гта 4 и это большой плюс, в поведении машин есть жизнь, каждая машина ощущается по своему. Я получаю море удовольствия от вождения авто в этой игре и не хотел бы чтобы разработчики что-то меняли в угоду аркадности. Единственная проблема это нереалистичный поворот мотоциклов на малой скорости, ведущее колесо не соответствует углу поворота.

translation into english:

I really enjoyed driving in Cyberpunk 2077 !!! No need to change it !!!! This is an amazingly realistic model, having a gearbox is just a super idea! I don't know how to complain about this management, well, seriously guys. We got used to the arcade style in GTA 5, but here is a more realistic model like in GTA 4 and this is a big plus, there is life in the behavior of cars, each car feels differently. I get a lot of pleasure from driving a car in this game and would not want the developers to change something for the sake of arcade.

The only problem is the unrealistic turn of the motorcycles at low speed, the drive wheel does not match the steering angle.
IYW use my second recommendation on driving,
Realistic when using bikes @ walking speed and at high speed.

You want the edit Trust me :p
Makes [driving] so nice, only Gonks quick-Travel
I don't want to edit game files tbh, but it's nice to have this information. Thank you for posting it!

I'm actually not having too much struggles with steering the car, but the camera is a bit weird.
I also found out that it's far easier to drive when having a stable frame rate, because of input lag.

A different issue that I encountered:
I constantly need to press middle-click on my mouse in order to get my view back on the track after turning and moving the mouse because I feel that this doesn't happen fast enough automatically.

Suggestions:
  • key binding center camera (currently locked to mouse click mid?)
  • add an option in the menu to determine a "dead zone" for camera movement while driving, so the timer for the camera reset won't be interrupted when accidentally moving the mouse.
  • add toggle for camera mode which could be bound to Shift in order to switch between modes:
    • auto focus <-> free camera (mouse/thumbstick)
    • auto focus & free camera <-> centered camera
      (similar to Rocket League, switching between Ball-Camera and Car-Camera)

• View:
    • decrease the camera angle in order to look more straight forward and therefore increase the camera height.
    • increase camera distance when driving fast
    • increase camera angle (looking down) when slowing down.
    • add option for camera stiffness (similar to Rocket League)
    • Increase horizontal FOV while driving in standard resolutions 16:9 or 4:3 would also make driving feel a bit faster

[Sorry for double-posting parts of this. there are several threads about driving so far but they get buried quickly...]

If they made going forward a combination of keys. (Currently W gives full power only)
What if W only gave half power and if you wanted to go full speed you have to hold down the left mouse button.
This would make it easier to drive in tight spots without having to keep tapping W.
There is no use for the mouse during driving currently other than to look around.
Or even use the left mouse to change gears. You could have 1st, 2nd and 3rd

Thank God for the modding community! They've helped a ton with the driving.
the patch note of the Hotfix 1.05 claims that there will be more information about modding in the future. It would be really nice to see improvements like this (didn't test it, can't confirm) being implemented in official updates and available for everyone, including console players...

Last edited:
the patch note of the Hotfix 1.05 claims that there will be more information about modding in the future. It would be really nice to see improvements like this (didn't test it, can't confirm) being implemented in official updates and available for everyone, including console players...
I tried that ini thing and it's a nicer experience now.

yes , i think driving is really bad. vitesse should constant with different gear shift. Worse aspect of the game with the melee combat, i think...

If they made going forward a combination of keys. (Currently W gives full power only)
What if W only gave half power and if you wanted to go full speed you have to hold down the left mouse button.
This would make it easier to drive in tight spots without having to keep tapping W.
There is no use for the mouse during driving currently other than to look around.
Or even use the left mouse to change gears. You could have 1st, 2nd and 3rd

I can very much recommend a controller for driving, as it has analog throttle and brakes, in case you where not aware that you can use both input methods at the same time.

I have to say driving is the first thing I loved about the game, driving is realistic!
You have the freedom to drive in the opposite lane or between lanes of a busy road, man that's fun!
When you're driving fast in a muscle car and can't stop in time to avoid crushing into cars that actually stop due to a red light...
Imagine driving fast in a real crowded city, ofc it can end up badly.
The non-realistic part of driving in night city is how little damage the car takes in case of "accidents".

Oh one more thing - playing on PC here with a good graphics card and never had frame rate issues.
Make sure you have depth of field and motion blur turn off in graphics settings and VSync enabled at your screen refresh rate in video settings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom