Driving on PC

+
Well, in anticipation for CP2077 I've started playing GTAV on PC with wheel support mod (Logitech G27 with clutch, H-Shifter etc.) and it feels so good just roaming around Los Santos (witch controller on my lap in case I need to shoot something).
So I'm hoping for the same in CP2077, rather sooner than later :)

I now for some reason remember enjoying arrow keys in the first mafia game for driving. WSAD would be fine too, now that I thought about it some more.

We all know keyboard is not meant for racing games, but mouse could be.

If you have ever played Halo MC Collection on PC you know what I'm talking about, the warthog handles like a gem because you can make very precise movements by steering with the mouse.

Do you guys think there is a chance that CP2077 will have steering based on mouse movement?

I totally DONT want mouse-based steering, because I want to be able to look around me and enjoy the scenery when I am driving. (Or GTA-style shoot while driving)

Witcher 3 already has mouse-based steering on Roach, and it greatly annoys me.

I totally DONT want mouse-based steering, because I want to be able to look around me and enjoy the scenery when I am driving. (Or GTA-style shoot while driving)

Witcher 3 already has mouse-based steering on Roach, and it greatly annoys me.

Mouse steering ugh cringe

So just don't use it then if you don't like mouse steering. I don't get what the problem is with having it as an option.

Witcher 3 you could use the mouse and gamepad together. Controllers like the joycon are pretty nice holding in one hand and the mouse in the other.

So I hope Cyberpunk 2077 supports both again and has the option to lock icons again, so you can get analog movement and mouse aim.

Guest 4211861

Didn't Alanah Pearce say there was a Forza build of the game?

Let's go full rp with a manual transmission

Will manual transmission even exist in 2077? Now in 2020 it's mostly dead (at least in the US, but of course Night City is in the former US). Unless you're buying a car for the purposes of racing, it's all automatic. It's often a special order and more expensive to buy and repair than automatic. Functionally dead.

Mouse steering as an option if people want it, sure, but I'll go with keyboard, so don't take that away. It's a bit clunky, yes, but whatever. You can adapt to the digital controls. It's not a sim. I've done just fine in other racing games with my keyboard (not hardcore driving sims, but this won't be that almost certainly). I don't own a gamepad. Don't need one. Mechanical keyboard and mouse is all I need. Worked just fine for things like Super Meat Boy, so pretty sure I'm fine. (⌐■_■)

Will manual transmission even exist in 2077? Now in 2020 it's mostly dead (at least in the US, but of course Night City is in the former US). Unless you're buying a car for the purposes of racing, it's all automatic. It's often a special order and more expensive to buy and repair than automatic. Functionally dead.

Mouse steering as an option if people want it, sure, but I'll go with keyboard, so don't take that away. It's a bit clunky, yes, but whatever. You can adapt to the digital controls. It's not a sim. I've done just fine in other racing games with my keyboard (not hardcore driving sims, but this won't be that almost certainly). I don't own a gamepad. Don't need one. Mechanical keyboard and mouse is all I need. Worked just fine for things like Super Meat Boy, so pretty sure I'm fine. (⌐■_■)

Haha, it was mostly a sarcastic joke about how it would be awful to drive + use the transmission on a keyboard.

We still use mainly manual here in Europe (auto ftw).

If you have ever played Halo MC Collection on PC you know what I'm talking about, the warthog handles like a gem because you can make very precise movements by steering with the mouse.

Do you guys think there is a chance that CP2077 will have steering based on mouse movement?

On the contrary of everything you said, I love driving any vehicles in games with keyboard & very efficient at it, while I totally hate any driving that involve mouse steering (maybe not so good on hardcore flight sim game 'cause still need mouse).
It's pretty much why I hate driving in HALO games too LOL
My problems with mouse steering would be some games also would attached this steering with camera control making it very hard to multi task while driving (like shooting via camera on target or simply looking a scenery). I would like to argue that keyboard steering also just as precise especially if you opting for manual gearbox system without having a controller or steering wheel.
Post automatically merged:

Dirt 2015 is a benchmark for driving physics in video games.

I realize that other games can't hope to match a rally sim dedicated to driving, but they should at least aspire to go in that direction.

It's a tad weird at first because we are spoilt by arcadish driving shoveled at us, but once you get a feel for it there is no going back.
No other game makes fast driving feel dangerous and risky yet satisfying and rewarding if you maintain control.
Consequences of a fuck-up are everpresent and looming overhead, which makes pushing those limits and getting away with it all the more exiting.

You don't have magic steering and magic grip. You are not on rails and glued to the ground. You are DRIVING.
Driving surface conditions matter (asphalt, concrete, mud, sand, snow, wet, dry) and hugely reflect upon your experience.
FWD, RWD and AWD all make a clear difference in handling.
Horsepower under the hood is also a staple factor.
Every car feels different because it is different.

So, if you ask me, more Dirt 2015 vibes, the merrier. (and away with GTA 5)

I love the driving system in DiRT Rally 2 a lot more albeit for overall game DiRT Rally is much better. The problem here imo is this driving system is way too "sim racer" for mainstream audiences. I think CDPR had the right idea with aiming the driving system as close as possible to Forza Horizon 4 as it has the right balance of arcade & sim racing.

Some previews (IGN guy) said the car & driving system is not Gran Turismo (such a high expectations LOL) while pretty close enough. I have not played any new Gran Turismo game so Idk what to expect.

ALSO, something is being very overlooked here. What about the motorbike riding system??? I have not yet experience a legit great riding system in any motorbike games in recent years LOL

I know that very likely most players love cars more but motorbike have its own charms especially IRL.

Last edited:

Cyberpunk 2077, racing games!? How did you connect this?
Bahahahaha...

On the contrary of everything you said, I love driving any vehicles in games with keyboard & very efficient at it, while I totally hate any driving that involve mouse steering (maybe not so good on hardcore flight sim game 'cause still need mouse).
I don't play many games that require driving, but I've yet to find one where the controls aren't over-responsive or sluggish. I know some games don't have as many problems due to adjustable control responsiveness, but even the ones I've tried that have this feature often don't seem to have enough adjustment available.

I bring this up because it's important for CDPR to insure CP2077 doesn't require a certain level of player ability to "twitch" in order for the game to be played without excessive player frustration. A prime example of this is platformer gameplay. Either you have the ability to hit the "correct" launch point and hit the control at the optimal launch time or you may as well just uninstall the game because you can't progress.

You can always just leave your Xbox controller plugged into your computer and sitting on the side. I haven't found a game yet that doesn't automatically swap over to the controller or back to mouse and keyboard almost instantly. I'm always gaming with my controller plugged in incase I want to swap over from mouse and keyboard to switch things up. This little side tip made gaming much more enjoyable.
Windows 10 does not need anything extra at all. Just plug your controller (No Batteries Required) into the computer using a micro USB to USB Type-A, and go.

You can always just leave your Xbox controller plugged into your computer and sitting on the side. I haven't found a game yet that doesn't automatically swap over to the controller or back to mouse and keyboard almost instantly. I'm always gaming with my controller plugged in incase I want to swap over from mouse and keyboard to switch things up. This little side tip made gaming much more enjoyable.
Windows 10 does not need anything extra at all. Just plug your controller (No Batteries Required) into the computer using a micro USB to USB Type-A, and go.

Yeah, switching controls should be fine. I've done that in games like GTAV and it works. Just feels a little clunky while getting used to switching back and forth. Of course, this is an RPG and not a competitive shooter. It's not like aiming with a keyboard or controller is going to make the game that much different if there are systems in place that cover shooting skills.

i cannot believe driving with a mouse is something people actually want for a game like this?? really??

using a keyboard for any sort of driving game is kinda boring and outdated IMO... sure it can work but it does not feel right and youre over simplifying the gameplay, especially with how well-made driving games are these days (unless youre speedrunning lol)

mouse is usually easier for aiming in fast-paced shooters or strategy games, but this is a single player RPG with some non-competitive shooting, so I think using mouse/keyboard might make things a little stale here... if Im playing a competitive-multiplayer game then I hunch over my m/k cause its more accurate/direct, but with story-driven games I prefer sitting back and relaxing with a controller even if aiming isn't as perfectly accurate all the time (cause pulling a trigger is just more fun)

same goes for screen size: playing solo/story driven games? want to show it to friends? then go for a larger screen and sit back... playing competitive-multiplayer and/or streaming? then do not use a big screen so you can sit closer... its a matter of comfort versus efficiency, and I chose the PC version of CP77 since I can bring my laptop to a friends house and plug it into any size TV with ease! so a wireless controller seems best since I dont plan on speedrunning and wont want to reach for a keyboard

also, Im really hoping the devs add support for new PS5 dualsense triggers with haptic-feedback... I know a lot of people complain about haptic feedback being counter-intuitive or distracting, but I think it would be fun for non-competitive single player games like this one (obviously I would never use one in competitive games) but this is the perfect game for haptic-feedback triggers lol

either way, Im sure it will be simple enough to switch back and forth between my mouse and controllers whenever I feel like it

Top Bottom