Driving on PC

+
We all know keyboard is not meant for racing games, but mouse could be.

If you have ever played Halo MC Collection on PC you know what I'm talking about, the warthog handles like a gem because you can make very precise movements by steering with the mouse.

Do you guys think there is a chance that CP2077 will have steering based on mouse movement?

Dunno, since Cyberpunk's not a Project Cars or Assetto Corsa kind of game (racing simulator), I'd be totally fine with keyboard steering. Also, I did play a game which has mouse steering. Borderlands 2, TPS, 3. Here's wot I tell ya. Mouse totally sucks if you gon need to execute 180, plus bye-bye drifting. Aaaand, I believe in Cyberpunk you'll be able to turn your head to appreciate the sights while driving, so... nah, don't think so.

Dunno, since Cyberpunk's not a Project Cars or Assetto Corsa kind of game (racing simulator), I'd be totally fine with keyboard steering. Also, I did play a game which has mouse steering. Borderlands 2, TPS, 3. Here's wot I tell ya. Mouse totally sucks if you gon need to execute 180, plus bye-bye drifting. Aaaand, I believe in Cyberpunk you'll be able to turn your head to appreciate the sights while driving, so... nah, don't think so.
Freelook button fixes the looking around issue, drifting could be supplemented with some assists.

There's just no subtlety in wasd steering and since racing has been confirmed and CDPR values their PC playerbase I think that mouse based steering is a given.

One brand of optical keyboard has analog inputs you can set for activation points and have more than just key press down and up. I hope tech. such as that catches on sooner than later so you can drive with a keyboard and have better control. It isn't as good as a joystick or wheel, but would we a great option for something in-between.
I do not know if this is a good quality keyboard, or even a good keyboard for normal use, only that it is the first one I've seen that has an analog input of each key that you can set levels on. (not endorsing, but it's interesting)

The keyboard example is here: wooting.io / wootingone

There's just no subtlety in wasd steering and since racing has been confirmed and CDPR values their PC playerbase I think that mouse based steering is a given.
Still can't help but think that mouse steering is worse. Spent my whole life playing race games on a keyboard. Guess this only reinforced my hate to mouse driving.
Also, IMHO but there's outta be some reason behind the fact that racing games don't support mouse steering but support wasd.

There are many issues with driving on a PC (I dont really think that a gamepad is much better on a console). Driving via mouselook is not a solution since then you relinguish the opportunity to look around you while driving.

If the car has enough momentum effects (drifting for example) and the point of view is enough behind the car, I think I prefer GTA5 way of driving with a keyboard. Smaller movements (from having the viewpoint far enough behind of the car) along with the car reacting slowly enough due to its mass, can create a passable experience. While still allowing me to look around me with mouselook.

I know CP2077 has a failsafe solution by having the vehicles equipped with an AI that can both drive it so you dont have to, and drive the vehicle to you when called. This in case actual manual driving isnt enjoyable enough. I hope they manage to make it enjoyable though. Cant get that badass Akira feeling on a motorcycle if you are sitting on a taxi.

I had a sterring wheel atachment years ago around time i was in college at that time driving pc games where not bad. but the manufacturer went out of buisness and newer pcs wouldnt support it as a device well if at all. since then i have not touched a driving game on pc that cared for at all

One brand of optical keyboard has analog inputs you can set for activation points and have more than just key press down and up. I hope tech. such as that catches on sooner than later so you can drive with a keyboard and have better control. It isn't as good as a joystick or wheel, but would we a great option for something in-between.
I do not know if this is a good quality keyboard, or even a good keyboard for normal use, only that it is the first one I've seen that has an analog input of each key that you can set levels on. (not endorsing, but it's interesting)

The keyboard example is here: wooting.io / wootingone

Ooohhh, I didn’t know that type of tech existed yet, even though it’s not something too mindblowing. I’m gonna have to take a look at it, sounds interesting.

Xbox controller should be almost directly compatible with windows if Im not mistaken..

It very much is. In my experience with Windows 10 at least.

Still can't help but think that mouse steering is worse. Spent my whole life playing race games on a keyboard. Guess this only reinforced my hate to mouse driving.
Also, IMHO but there's outta be some reason behind the fact that racing games don't support mouse steering but support wasd.
Actually GTA V on PC has mouse steering and it works very well.

Actually GTA V on PC has mouse steering and it works very well.
Thing is, GTA V isn't fully about racing, innit? I was talking about, like, racing games. Why exactly racing? Because in such genre driving is a top-priority gameplay mechanic. And if their main gameplay mechanic doesn't feature mouse driving then there's something wrong with it when it comes to "driving to win" and not just roaming around. Drifting falls apart with mouse steering, evasive driving (like slalom) with mouse steering is objectively worse than keyboard, shooting while driving (of course not sure if we get this in Cyberpunk, but still)... forget about it.

Last edited:
WASD(Steering, accelerate, reverse) + space/RMB(brakes) + mouse(freelook) is just fine and sufficient for vehicle controls.

I would’ve hoped for something more ”out of the box” for vehicles and their controls, but... what ever.

Dirt 2015 is a benchmark for driving physics in video games.

I realize that other games can't hope to match a rally sim dedicated to driving, but they should at least aspire to go in that direction.

It's a tad weird at first because we are spoilt by arcadish driving shoveled at us, but once you get a feel for it there is no going back.
No other game makes fast driving feel dangerous and risky yet satisfying and rewarding if you maintain control.
Consequences of a fuck-up are everpresent and looming overhead, which makes pushing those limits and getting away with it all the more exiting.

You don't have magic steering and magic grip. You are not on rails and glued to the ground. You are DRIVING.
Driving surface conditions matter (asphalt, concrete, mud, sand, snow, wet, dry) and hugely reflect upon your experience.
FWD, RWD and AWD all make a clear difference in handling.
Horsepower under the hood is also a staple factor.
Every car feels different because it is different.

So, if you ask me, more Dirt 2015 vibes, the merrier. (and away with GTA 5)

All I want from CP2077 driving, is to be able to drive ingame without colliding with the boundaries of the street every couple seconds (this happens even in GTA5 if you are driving in first person).

I remember reading that the cp2077 would contain races... which implies that driving is decently important in the game. I trust CDPR has the resources and manpower to not screw this one up.

All I want from CP2077 driving, is to be able to drive ingame without colliding with the boundaries of the street every couple seconds (this happens even in GTA5 if you are driving in first person).

I remember reading that the cp2077 would contain races... which implies that driving is decently important in the game. I trust CDPR has the resources and manpower to not screw this one up.
Eh, GTA V has those Trackmania knock-off version of racing too. Shame in GTA V driving is a bloody joke.

Dirt 2015 is a benchmark for driving physics in video games.
As a fellow racer, I'm totally on board with you. But, honestly tho, I'll be more than happy if there'll be at least a difference between RWDs, FWDs and AWDs like in... dunno, Burnout Paradise. It's arcade-ish as hell, but, boy, have they made a difference in handling for cars. Cut devs some slack, it's Action RPG we are talking about.

Top Bottom