dropping frames hard when moving mouse

+
dropping frames hard when moving mouse

My specs are 970 gtx with an i5 4460 and 8gb of RAM
I usually run this game at a smooth 60fps+ with no dips, however booting it up again today I found that as soon as I'm in the menu, if I move my mouse, that smooth 60+fps drops to below 10, when I stop moving my mouse, the game gets back up to a smooth 60fps.
In game, this translates to a smooth experience of 60+fps if I avoid moving the camera, but as soon as I rotate the camera, the fps goes to shit.

I've tried deleting settings and settings.bak, this solution worked once for about 2 days, then the problem showed itself again today.

What's going on?

So I'm assuming I'm the only person to have this problem in the entire world?
Can I get an acknowledgement at least of 1 other person having the same issue?

this happens to me too.

when i try to rotate my head IRL.

if someone know fix, much appreciated.

oh, if you're deleting user.settings and you have steam, it'll just put them back from steam cloud. you have to disable steam cloud, delete the files, run game to reset to default, exit, re-enable steam cloud.

other than that, just throw it in the bin with all the other 970 problems.

you could try other usb ports (front/back), gamepad, updating mb/mouse drivers (or mb bios), different mouse, etc...

could also be some weird usb DPC issue, run latencymon and make sure your usb/video drivers aren't coming up with some crazy latency.

Last edited:
I'm using the downloadable GOG version without galaxy, so its vanilla as it can get pretty much.

The problem does get a little better if I use a gamepad instead of M+KB, but that's not the best solution imo, having to sacrifice what I deem to be a more satisfying control scheme.

Just to add, Rivatuner actually shows the frameloss as being actual frameloss as soon as I move the mouse around, from stable 60 way down to 1-5fps even in the menu

gamepad suggestion was just to test if it's the mouse.

try the steps i suggested, and run latencymon (logging while running game, moving mouse). seems like some odd usb DPC issue indeed. could also try removing mouse software/drivers temporarily.

but why only in witcher3? no idea... that doesn't add up, so maybe not.

Last edited:
How do I process the data generated by latencymon? Also, reddit has suggested that it could be the cause of malware? But wouldn't that affect other applications/games too? which it doesn't at the moment

I have heard of cases where turning down mouse polling helps in other games.

other than that, just throw it in the bin with all the other 970 problems.

Just curious, what problems are you having, and what cpu are you using?
I had had a 970 with an i7 3770 which is the recommended cpu, and it ran so well that I bought a second 970. I get a pretty much stable 80fps at 1080p with ingame aa, hairworks, and 8xmsaa forced in the driver.
The only time there is even a hickup in frameratre is when the game is pulling textures from the ssd.

I get the occasional crash, but thats nothing to do with the 970... I have never played an open world rpg that doesn't crash on occasion.

Last edited:
But... I love my GTX 970 :'( :laughing: It works wonderfully well! A few kernel crashes but it has to be some Windows file messing with the GPU or Nvidia drivers going nuts.
I also have those FPS drops when I move if I do not set the V-sync to "enable" (not "adaptable") through the Nvidia panel.

How do I process the data generated by latencymon?

start logging, play game with mouse. exit game. stop logging. switch to 'drivers' tab, sort by 'highest execution time', descending.

most of them should be below 0.250 ms (technically even lower then 0.15 or 0.1), but whatever. if there is a driver that is hitting higher than 0.5-1.0 (ms) constantly, then check the 'stats' tab. scroll down to 'REPORTED DPCs'. make sure 'driver with highest DPC routine execution time' is the same driver. check how many 'DPC count (execution time 250-500, 500-900, etc... anything above 250). if it's generating a lot of them as a percentage of total, then it probably has issues.

sometimes, the NIC (ndis.sys) will generate long DPCs, on the order of 0.5-1 (ms)+, really not much you can do about that. but it's not often, usually when playing with browser. other drivers shouldn't though (exceed 0.25 ms, except rarely).

I also have those FPS drops when I move if I do not set the V-sync to "enable" (not "adaptable") through the Nvidia panel.

ah so it is an nvidia issue...

Last edited:
ah so it is an nvidia issue...
I don't know what causes the micro-stuttering, it seems something struggles when the FPS go from 45-55 to 60 and above in my case. The game "micro-freezes" (1 missed frame or two) when the 60fps mark is crossed back-and-forth. To many images that are not synchronized with the screen refresh rate. The problem is solved when V-sync is forced though.
That's why Vsync, Gsync and AMD's Freesyc exist after all!

Last edited:
micro-stutter in my case is caused by spawning NPCs, doesn't happen out of town (read post 1+2): http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/49637-PC-displayfps-commandline-option?p=1789960#post1789960

recently, 1.05 i think it was, still-frame npcs were fixed, they no longer spawn all bugged. so maybe there's still an error or multi-threading problem in there, or just gpu/cpu bottleneck. not sure.

In that post, your sig says i5 3750k. I have seen people with i5 processors complaining about performance. I have that same processor in a PC at my workshop, maybe i can stick a 970 in it to test. Probably be at least a weeek though. Do you have an OC beyond turning up the multiplier? If not what is your cpu multiplier set to? Try toi turn it up over 5ghz if you can cool it.

My i7 with a single 970 didn't micro stutter, but it wasn't a solid 60 either... even with hairworks off.

I will say that with this game running, all 8 cpu threads on my machine are highly active.

Top Bottom