Drowner and Drowner dead

+
Drowner and Drowner dead

I am confused by names of a drowner and drowner dead in the English localization. Why was it so strangely translated? Utopiec (Drowner) translates from Polish to "one who drowned", and Topielec (Drowner dead) translates to "one who sinks".

I am confused by names of a drowner and drowner dead in the English localization. Why was it so strangely translated? Utopiec (Drowner) translates from Polish to "one who drowned", and Topielec (Drowner dead) translates to "one who sinks".

Both translations are awkward in English, What would you suggest as better?.

I think it's 'Drowned Dead' in the game. Not Drowner dead.

Though sometimes they are labeled just "Drowner". Which, I think, is interchangeable with Drowned Dead. And then Muckraker is the more dangerous version.

^ Mucknixer. ;)

There was a clear difference between Drowners and Drowned Dead in the first game, but AFAIK the only difference between them in TW3 is the name. They might as well be all called Drowners.

That translation thing is pretty interesting, especially with the Drowned Dead. :D

In the folklore Drowners are criminals who were thrown into the swamps for capital punishment and come back as some sort of zombie because of their pure evilness.
In the "real" witcherverse Drowners are antropomorph animals, some kind of aggressive amphibious apes without fur.
The German translation calls them "Ertrunkener" which means "a drowned corpse".

Whatever they are - I like them. They look really good since the latest updates, very amphibious and frog-like and slimy, very interesting inhabitants of swamps and rivers.

The only thing I don't like about the game version of drowners is the little run-in-circles animation they do when they begin their "combat mode".

Looks like a 3 Stooges sketch.

I'd prefer to keep the original polish title.
I agree so much with that. Whenever some translator of a book thought that he'd better "translate names", I cringe so much.

But I can see the arguments pro-"translation" as well.

1.) the voice actors would need to be instructed how to pronounce the original. That increases the voice acting production time.
2.) players wouldn't know the meaning of the original words.
3.) players would then fill the forums and other google hits with misspelling that are cringeworthy in the eyes of the native speakers.

"Oh, God.... are we doin' this.. Are we doin' this ... Oh, this is a mistake... OK, I guess we're doing this, Oh boy"
*loooooooooool* Thanks, you just made my day :D The drowners crack me up anyway because even the lvl 4 ones attack my lvl 46 Geralt (I happened to be in Velen a while ago, clearing the remaining questionmarks) with a lot of ferocity. Last time, I managed to take two down with a single stroke of the silver blade *g* I think they're adorable. I hated them in TW1 because you had to fight so many of them, and everytime you went to that darn swamp, lots of drowners would attack you. And then some more. And next time you returned, they were back. As I said, I hated them in TW1 but I think they're awesome in TW3. They look a lot better, they are actually more dangerous, and I like their circle run before attacking :)

It is sad that the devs have eliminated the class "drowners". Surely, drowners and drowned dead eat carrion, but the basis of their diet includes fish. So, they are drowners first, and only then necrophages.
I propose to return the class "drowners" and add new species to it (water hag etc).

There are no drowned dead in TW3.

Incorrect. There are enemies called "Drowned Dead", however they don't have a different appearance than Drowners. Drowned Dead tend to be black-and-red, but sometimes you'll see high level Drowners in those colours as well.

*loooooooooool* Thanks, you just made my day :D The drowners crack me up anyway because even the lvl 4 ones attack my lvl 46 Geralt (I happened to be in Velen a while ago, clearing the remaining questionmarks) with a lot of ferocity. Last time, I managed to take two down with a single stroke of the silver blade *g* I think they're adorable. I hated them in TW1 because you had to fight so many of them, and everytime you went to that darn swamp, lots of drowners would attack you. And then some more. And next time you returned, they were back. As I said, I hated them in TW1 but I think they're awesome in TW3. They look a lot better, they are actually more dangerous, and I like their circle run before attacking :)
In TW1 you can use de talisman (red ribbon) and in TW3 you can use drowner pheromones (potion) to keep them off you. But I agree. Everyone hates them.

Top Bottom