Dual GPU CTD on Launch

+
Tried to Launch Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time in several months. PC Config is the same as the last time I ran the game. Specs are in my Signature.

Cyberpunk 2077 fails to Launch and Crashes to Desktop Immediately with 2 GPU's installed.

My Main GPU is my EVGA 980Ti 6GB which is more powerful than my EVGA 1060 which is in my secondary slot. I reported this problem months ago and I see it hasnt been fixed.

Doom Eternal has a similar issue but it launches the game and allows you to play with issues. The issue it has is its trying to launch from the "NEWER" GPU (1060) and thats on the 8x lane and stutters because of it.

With my PC Config I am able to run Cyberpunk Decently well visually at medium-high settings with my 980Ti by itself with 40-55 fps average while still looking amazing. There is some dips to about 15fps in certain areas, but thats minimal.

I have already beaten the game and was trying to jump back in and see how much better its gotten.

Tried to Launch Cyberpunk 2077 for the first time in several months. PC Config is the same as the last time I ran the game. Specs are in my Signature.

Cyberpunk 2077 fails to Launch and Crashes to Desktop Immediately with 2 GPU's installed.

My Main GPU is my EVGA 980Ti 6GB which is more powerful than my EVGA 1060 which is in my secondary slot. I reported this problem months ago and I see it hasnt been fixed.

Doom Eternal has a similar issue but it launches the game and allows you to play with issues. The issue it has is its trying to launch from the "NEWER" GPU (1060) and thats on the 8x lane and stutters because of it.

With my PC Config I am able to run Cyberpunk Decently well visually at medium-high settings with my 980Ti by itself with 40-55 fps average while still looking amazing. There is some dips to about 15fps in certain areas, but thats minimal.

I have already beaten the game and was trying to jump back in and see how much better its gotten.
Try going into your Nvidia Control Panel and manually setting the game to use only your 980 ti, instead of the default "All".

1626558723225.png

(D'oh! Select the Cyberpunk .EXE for Program Settings, not TW3.)

Try going into your Nvidia Control Panel and manually setting the game to use only your 980 ti, instead of the default "All".

View attachment 11236936

(D'oh! Select the Cyberpunk .EXE for Program Settings, not TW3.)

Nope Flatlined even faster. before with both GPU CUDA's selected by default, it at least attempts to launch a black window and then Flatlines. Now it just instantly flatlines.

Nope Flatlined even faster. before with both GPU CUDA's selected by default, it at least attempts to launch a black window and then Flatlines. Now it just instantly flatlines.
Ah -- good! That then clarifies that it had an effect. We're looking in the right direction, I'd say.

I'd next suggest drivers. For this situation, I'd start with a DDU wipe, followed by a CCleaner sweep of the registry, then an installation of your present driver package (ensuring that it's the Nvidia Reference Driver version) using the CLEAN installation option.

Here's where I'm a bit curious, though. Not sure that the 980 ti and the 1060 are using the same architecture, so that likely means that two different Nvidia drivers will be needed to ensure both cards are working 100% correctly. Technically, that should not be possible, as when drivers install, they will write files to the System32 folder. Nvidia uses very similar structures and files for all of their cards, meaning whatever driver installed last will invariably overwrite whatever driver was installed previously. I can't install the complete driver for the 980 and the 1060 at the same time. Some of the files will be overwritten.

But -- that doesn't mean all is lost. It's always possible that a single driver version may cooperate with both video cards. If the driver re-installation doesn't work out, for whatever reason, try rolling drivers back to an older version of the 980 ti (using DDU, CCleaner, and the CLEAN installation option again). My guess (very loose guess) is that the 1060 drivers will not be compatible with the 980...but I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1060 work alright with the 980 drivers. Newer cards often have a lot of backwards compatibility worked into them.

Just for the sake of info, can you describe what sort of driver installation you've been using to get both of the cards working. Is it only one driver package? Or did you need to download separate ones for each card? The order of installation is also important, as the drivers installed second will be the files that are present.

I do that method of driver installation regularly anytime I decide to update drivers. I did it anyways just to check it off.

Alright so... UPDATED to NVidia Driver 471.41 with a CLEAN Install and Rebooted. Used CCleaner to clear errors and unattached files in the registry. No problem there.

Went to launch Cyberpunk. Immediate Flatline again.

So I remembered something, for Gits & Shiggles, I went to the install folder and Launched from the Cyberpunk2077.exe found in \Cyberpunk 2077\bin\x64
Launches no issues. But through the Launcher it crashes. Again this only happens with dual GPU for some reason with the default Launcher. When this first started happening I removed the 1060 and I could launch regularly through the default launcher.

The one issue that I found that still remains as a bug in the system settings in the game is changing the resolution flatlines the game. This has been happening since December's launch.
Post automatically merged:

Found my Original Post about this back on January 9th, 2021. I did report it.

Last edited:
Launches no issues. But through the Launcher it crashes. Again this only happens with dual GPU for some reason with the default Launcher. When this first started happening I removed the 1060 and I could launch regularly through the default launcher.
Huh...!

That's a very interesting combination of elements resulting in a CTD at startup. Well -- you lose nothing gameplay-wise by launching directly from the .EXE, so that's a workaround for now. I would, however, definitely writing this up, give your complete specs and a present dxdiag (making sure to select the 64-bit option), and send that into CDPR Support:

Not sure if this is a game-launch issue or a Galaxy issue. But it's definitely one or the other.

Top Bottom