Dual Wielding, the ultimate Handgun ability.

+
Jackie dual-wielding makes sense. He was a nice boy, but not the brightest light in the shed. Just because he could use two, doesn't he could shoot straight.

V strikes me as a quality over quantity type of person. They may noy have as many guns, but they make aure their shots count (failing that, smart aiming is a thing; ignore that argument that it applies tp dual wielding as well).

For whatever reason, dual-wielding handguns seem to be that one thing that's very hard to do, yet many fans want it. I'm not a programmer so I have no idea if this is a technical thing or a balance thing but I just don't understand why it's so hard to do.

As with many games with their roots in movies, most players wouldn't CARE if this is a good idea in real life or not. Hell, rushing into a room full of bad guys with guns wielding a ball bat isn't smart either but we have that option don't we?

I could totally understand if restrictions had to be put on this like handguns only (as cool as it might sound, a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other might break the game) and matching handguns only, etc. I'm not worried about balance because according to some videos I've seen you can one-shot most of the non-boss enemies by level 30 or so anyhow. There is at least one gun in the game now (Lizzie IIRC) that fired twice so why not use the same mechanic for dual-wielding?

For whatever reason, dual-wielding handguns seem to be that one thing that's very hard to do, yet many fans want it. I'm not a programmer so I have no idea if this is a technical thing or a balance thing but I just don't understand why it's so hard to do.

As with many games with their roots in movies, most players wouldn't CARE if this is a good idea in real life or not. Hell, rushing into a room full of bad guys with guns wielding a ball bat isn't smart either but we have that option don't we?

I could totally understand if restrictions had to be put on this like handguns only (as cool as it might sound, a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other might break the game) and matching handguns only, etc. I'm not worried about balance because according to some videos I've seen you can one-shot most of the non-boss enemies by level 30 or so anyhow. There is at least one gun in the game now (Lizzie IIRC) that fired twice so why not use the same mechanic for dual-wielding?
There's the stats to worry about, animations for the second hand to go with the normal ones, figuring out balances, penalties, etc. It's probably just not worth the trouble to some.

I know it's a bit of a necro however with Edgerunners out and rebecca's popularity its high time we had this my idea is to add Rebecca's arms to the game as a unique legendary cyberware. equipping them gives V an additional offhand weapon slot and grants dual wielding as a special ability a fun easter egg way to add a missing feature and tie it in with the lore.
Screenshotter--CyberpunkEdgerunnersE7Stronger-4’20”-1[1].jpg

I know it's a bit of a necro however with Edgerunners out and rebecca's popularity its high time we had this my idea is to add Rebecca's arms to the game as a unique legendary cyberware. equipping them gives V an additional offhand weapon slot and grants dual wielding as a special ability a fun easter egg way to add a missing feature and tie it in with the lore. View attachment 11319560
Agreed, it would be nice :)
I would also add some "malus" when using dual wielding with Rebecca's arms :
- Unable to aim which seem obvious.
- Bullets spread increased by 100% to strongly limit the accuracy. Even more increased while using two "two handed weapons".

Kinda odd that you can't use 2 weapons when Jackie could. Yes it's hard and rather unwieldy but not impossible at all, and it's a videogame after all, we even saw Geralt dual-wielding his bastard swords in TW2 in finishers and cutscenes...

If lower accuracy is going to be the prime drawback you would need to ensure that the cyberware takes the same slot as smart link so you cant use them both at the same time and cheese it

If lower accuracy is going to be the prime drawback you would need to ensure that the cyberware takes the same slot as smart link so you cant use them both at the same time and cheese it
I say "Rebecca arms" so it wouls take place of Gorilla Arms, Mantis Balde, MonoWire. So the smart link (in the hand) still possible to be installed. It could be as the "new" abilities of some iconics where bullets can more easily miss the target.
"Your smart projectiles have a greater chance to miss the target and can only lock one target except if the weapon ability provide additional one"

I say "Rebecca arms" so it wouls take place of Gorilla Arms, Mantis Balde, MonoWire. So the smart link (in the hand) still possible to be installed. It could be as the "new" abilities of some iconics where bullets can more easily miss the target.
"Your smart projectiles have a greater chance to miss the target and can only lock one target except if the weapon ability provide additional one"

By replacing Gorilla Arms, Mantis Blade... you made me think of this (which would negate te penalty I know—but it is cool (the reload, the scene itself is over the top and far away)):

That's like asking why Geralt didn't Dual Wield. It's just not what they designed for the character. We're getting a bit carried away with expecting every option under the sun to be available for an already crafted character. I mean it's cool but not necessary.

Got body maxed out, can open locked doors with bare hands, but can't dual wield shotguns.
Feel sad.

I know it's a bit of a necro however with Edgerunners out and rebecca's popularity its high time we had this my idea is to add Rebecca's arms to the game as a unique legendary cyberware. equipping them gives V an additional offhand weapon slot and grants dual wielding as a special ability a fun easter egg way to add a missing feature and tie it in with the lore. View attachment 11319560
Notice how she also drops her guns instead of reloading them.
Post automatically merged:

As an old-school Bungie fan, who introduced the idea of dual-wielding in video games with their Marathon series a very long time ago, I've always hated it as an idea. Just because it's possible to handle a weapon one-handed doesn't meant it's a good idea. And the only advantage you would actually get from dual-wielding weapons would be the ability to shoot in two directions at the same time. Otherwise, if it's a higher rate of fire you're after, just get an automatic.

Last edited:
That's like asking why Geralt didn't Dual Wield. It's just not what they designed for the character. We're getting a bit carried away with expecting every option under the sun to be available for an already crafted character. I mean it's cool but not necessary.
Yeah it wouldn't make sense for Geralt because he's a pre-established character and we know he doesn't use that fighting style (Witchers very likely don't train in anything other than single blades), but V is custom so it wouldn't be unreasonable

Yeah it wouldn't make sense for Geralt because he's a pre-established character and we know he doesn't use that fighting style (Witchers very likely don't train in anything other than single blades), but V is custom so it wouldn't be unreasonable
V isn't custom, appearance is custom but the character's preferences and personality are already predetermined. In a game where you have several combat options it's not practical. If this was Red Dead where your only option are guns then sure but that's not the case here.
There always has to be a trade off. So if you add something as restrictive as dual wielding then something else would have to be removed because they'd have to then ensure things like cutscenes facilitate single and dual wield depending on the players choice etc. Some things are just not practical

I'd really like to see dual wielding of at least pistols, and maybe SMGs/Shotties with gorilla arms equipped
Maybe requiring equipping the intended weapons in the 1 and 2 slots, and using the key for optical camo/grenades to toggle dual wielding on/off.
I'd suggest that to balance the use of dual wielding, when doing so, there would be no use of sights, and no reloading. You could toggle the dual off to reload the main weapon, but would have to move off-hand weapon to main hand to reload. Though this would make using a melee weapon in off-hand somewhat useful

Top Bottom