Duke Nukem^W^W Birth & Virgins forever....

+
Duke Nukem^W^W Birth & Virgins forever....

Those of you with VERY long memories may remember Birth, & Virgins, which was supposed to be one of the first mods for the Witcher, and which, like Duke Nukem Forever, just got later, and later, and later. It's now more than a year late and several hundred orens over budget.I have one bug left, just one. But it only happens to testers using Vista and Windows 7, and as I don't have Vista or Windows 7 I can't reproduce it. What happens is that as soon as the player starts a fight - any fight - The Witcher either crashes completely, or locks up the game completely so that the user has to use Task Manager to kill it.We don't have any custom fight AI, just what was supplied with D'Jinni. The version of D'Jinni I'm using is 1.4.5.Has anyone seen anything like this? Has anyone any suggestions for a fix? Help urgently needed!

It's really hard to say what is causing such behavior. There is a lot of of possibilities. Maybe there are some scripts with infinite loops or other operations which game can't handle. Maybe there are to many decorations and effects around or there's something wrong in monsters templates. Also check out physics of all objects on all locations, it should be off if it is not really necessary.If you are not sure if something causes a problem, then turn it off and look whether problem is still showing up. Sometimes it's the only way to find a solution. It'd be really time-consumig, because you don't have Vista/7 and you'd have to send every new version to testers. Maybe try to explain to testers how to change scripts/templates/etc. and you'll just tell them what to change. It'll be faster.

SimonBrooke said:
I have one bug left, just one. But it only happens to testers using Vista and Windows 7, and as I don't have Vista or Windows 7 I can't reproduce it. What happens is that as soon as the player starts a fight - any fight - The Witcher either crashes completely, or locks up the game completely so that the user has to use Task Manager to kill it.
playing the game from Djinni does not yield an error message?

Since the crash only happens on Windows 7 and Vista it could be because of security permissions in those operating systems. Have the people testing the mod on the said OS's changed the permissions on their "The Witcher" directory to give their account full permissions? If they haven't they can go to the below link to get instructions that work in both OS's.http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

Guest 2005166

Wouldn´t that mean that every mod should crash, if that is the problem?

Top Bottom