Dumping ground/discussion thread for Dream RPG posts

+
Dumping ground/discussion thread for Dream RPG posts

At the "suggestion" of a moderator who "Should not be Named" I'm starting this thread for anyone that wants to comment on or discuss "Dream RPG" posts.

---------- Updated at 10:00 AM ----------

In a cyberpunk setting it's fine if you can upgrade your tech and improve your skills that way though. That at least makes kind of sense. But for the love of god, don't put skills in there like '+5% quick punch damage' which you can level to 10. Instead, add possible upgrades like extendable arm for greater reach, or electric arm which causes status effects, or... (think outside the box ;) )
You can upgrade your tech, just buy something better or different and have the old stuff removed.

So you want free cyberware upgrades for leveling?

Last edited:
1) Upgrading own vehicle
Whatever was that flying car in trailer, it would be cool to have something like this.
Use it for transport over long distances, get to unreachable places on the ground, or tops of skyscrapers floating in white clouds.

It could have 4 slots to place upgrades - so it can be easily mapped to gamepads (5,6,7,8 buttons) also.
You would need to get required hardware (buy, steal, find, or whatever...) and bring it to service.
Basically W3 recipes, but many of them cannot be sold (legally) as they are weapons of some sort.

Possible upgrades : Plating, heat-following rockets, generators of waves that damage nearby electronic/computer/whatever systems, bigger fuel storage, front lights (to see in storms, nights, or whatever), smaller fast-shooting miniguns, big heavy cannon, maybe even shields that absorb damage/stabilize vehicle in bad weather/absorb sunlight (so you can see easily)/ whatever, radio (player can be navigated in some missions or someone can speak to him, solar panels (can replace or acts as (reserve) fuel), locator(so you can call for it and it will fly to your location),...
Balance it so player needs to thing a bit about damage output, defense and utility.

Vehicle could also be damageable = not just HP-1, but you would need to get replacements for destroyed parts, take it to service sometimes. Without fuel it wont even start. It could explode completely, if in bad shape, or if overloaded (too much energy outcome or income), or if issuing too many movement comands.

Also there could be some vehicles fights and races

2) Devastated world.
As the story is happening in 2077, it could reflect consequences of actual problems.

Global warning :
Lets say north and south poles melted mostly. Levels of seas increased drastically, weather become more unexpected, wild and dangerous.
Humans try to adapt, so big cities, which cannot be easily replaced are protected with heat towers (produce heat from energy) before snow/rain storms, tornados, there are big turbines that blow away sandstorms, flying uncotroled objects,.. and so on.
In these cities there are many incoming people, so technology tries to build flying houses, more and more floors are being added to current buildings.
But as land has not enough space for all people, there are also some undewater/under-earth or high mountains inhabitations.
Wild animals are almost gone, so they become law protected, but hunted for money, clothing and food as as much as well.
People are feared of upcoming hunger, global crisis, war and death

1.I'd like to see, early game, starting from, a selection of few different car models... from rusty heap of metal that can barely fly...and you get to upgrade it over course of the game. Far better than how it's done in GTA.
Easy way to burn away $, too: always a problem in open world games.

2. "Old" religions like Christianity disappearing or "melding" with new ones: "Singularity" inspired by AI advances, mass addiction to virtual worlds (like in "Surrogates"), failing democracy/rise of anarchy, dominance of East Asia( or other countries) over west, environmental refugees, pollution and depletion of natural resources ( would work in favor of survival style game...less, but harder to find and more worthwhile loot: Witcher had too much of it), outbreaks of new antibiotic resistant diseases, nano-terrorism, gene manipulation, mass production of clones and their rights( as 21st century slavery), unemployment as result of robotics advancement, cultures/languages disappearing due to globalization, mass surveillance, wider class distinction..they can play around here with far more than typical conspiracy/augmentation thropes.

If the writers are up to it, CDPR can really create something here that would send shockwaves on entire genre/industry.

Last edited:
You can upgrade your tech, just buy something better or different and have the old stuff removed.

So you want free cyberware upgrades for leveling?

Nah, just do away with traditional levelling. For example, make upgrades only cost money. And new types of skills is tech you get as a reward for quests or which you have to find.

To make the game really challenging, make players buy every upgrade and skills from the black market instead of doing it the traditional way. Everything upgradable should be given only through purchase not leveling, while special ones are given by NPCs. And I don't know about you guys, but I despise stats. It's just not fun to have it. And get rid of leveling system. I think it's time we emphasized on the resourcefulness of the city. Let the city provide the answer to problem if you guys get what I mean.

Last edited:
About black markets: Worth saying that black market shouldn't have a consolidated currency. Controlling the currency can be a challenge, it's not a simple task. But for every challenge there's room for improvement, to do something really innovative and cool :) I would love to see an option to exchange my augmented eyes (which I needed in a previous mission to see the footprints of a mysterious hacker) for augmented lungs, to breath under water on some other mission for instance, or even to make my own gear buying / ""collecting"" the pieces I need.

To make the game really challenging, make players buy every upgrade and skills from the black market instead of doing it the traditional way. Everything upgradable should be given only through purchase not leveling, while special ones are given by NPCs. And I don't know about you guys, but I despise stats. It's just not fun to have it. And get rid of leveling system. I think it's time we emphasized on the resourcefulness of the city. Let the city provide the answer to problem if you guys get what I mean.
Ummmm ... in the PnP there are no levels.
You do get "Improvement Points" for completing tasks and use those to improve skills and stats. But if you want new hardware or cyberware you buy, or steal, it.

I'm really hoping CDPR doesn't try to add a leveling system to Cyberpunk. It doesn't need one. In fact the very idea of "levels" is rather counter-intuitive. You have skills ... not levels.

---------- Updated at 05:18 PM ----------

About black markets: Worth saying that black market shouldn't have a consolidated currency. Controlling the currency can be a challenge, it's not a simple task. But for every challenge there's room for improvement, to do something really innovative and cool :) I would love to see an option to exchange my augmented eyes (which I needed in a previous mission to see the footprints of a mysterious hacker) for augmented lungs, to breath under water on some other mission for instance, or even to make my own gear buying / ""collecting"" the pieces I need.
I know there's a market for "previously owned" cyberware ... in fact some people in the city make their living "collecting" it from current owners.

Last edited:
I'm really hoping CDPR doesn't try to add a leveling system to Cyberpunk. It doesn't need one. In fact the very idea of "levels" is rather counter-intuitive. You have skills ... not levels.

Yes. Progress should be indicated by learning new skills or acquiring new equipment. Leveling would ideally not be a part of the game.

Yes. Progress should be indicated by learning new skills or acquiring new equipment. Leveling would ideally not be a part of the game.

These skills shouldn't come out of thin air though. It'd be more realistic if the character learned to use specific skills from experts and gurus in the city, not from leveling up. Progress should be made as you complete each missions and make connections around the city. That's the way it should be.

Ummmm ... in the PnP there are no levels.
You do get "Improvement Points" for completing tasks and use those to improve skills and stats. But if you want new hardware or cyberware you buy, or steal, it.

I don't think there should be any improvement points imo. Earning new cyberware/software from tasks makes sense though. Learning new skills should come from earning a different type of currency. Or I was thinking the software could also be purchased from the black market and installed into the body just like in the Matrix. I think that would make more sense.

Levels and automatic +HP/Dps gain are always an issue in open world...sometimes it seems developers don't want to learn.

From too high weapon/level scaling to begin with, then try to tie the loot to player level, then buff the enemies based on level difference tied to player so they can "keep up", then try to restrict availability of equipment based on it, then "recommend" levels for completing side quests and tie given experience for it to keep progression in check( which is completely futile in open world, given the difference in how people play it and amount of content), then introduce a level scaling for everything ( including common rats) a year later....why make this kind of mess?

"Hide" the elite equipment/crafting gear as reward for completing lengthy/challenging quest chains or found in areas designed to provide higher challenge( from environmental hazards to concentration and types of enemies...so most players would naturally attempt it later on) instead of slapping "you cannot equip item x unless you're level y" requirements on it. Plus stat scaling on it, should be much slower than how it was done in Witcher and always a trade off, one for the next.

DS is an exemplar in these things...do I trade higher poise armor for less mobility? Weapon dealing more raw damage, but is less versatile in it's utility?
Plus it makes equipment and builds far more variable and interesting , instead of linear +damage/defense (as in Gothics).

As quaint as it sounds: sometimes the best solution is the simplest one.

As quaint as it sounds: sometimes the best solution is the simplest one.
I'd say usually.

No need for "levels" or "scaling" or any of that stuff. Make situations as realistic as they should be. If you're dealing with some street hood it's easy, if you're dealing with a neighborhood gang no so, if you're dealing with a corp you damn well better be highly skilled and well equipped. None of that requires levels/scaling ... just common sense.

---------- Updated at 10:03 AM ----------

I don't think there should be any improvement points imo. Earning new cyberware/software from tasks makes sense though. Learning new skills should come from earning a different type of currency. Or I was thinking the software could also be purchased from the black market and installed into the body just like in the Matrix. I think that would make more sense.
You seem to be assuming all characters are borgs thus can be reprogrammed with software. Borgs are actually fairly rare.
And what's wrong with characters learning from experience. i.e. "Improvement Points"? OK I'll admit that doesn't take into account the weeks/months of training that would be needed real-life, but it is a game after all. You really can't tell a player "In order to learn this new skill 6 in-game months pass and everything you're been doing is now void or put on magical hold".

Guest 3907430

So.....what do you guys think, are these any good?

-CDProjektRed style quests and story
-100 max character lvl
-skills with their own talent trees
-minor skills without talent trees (running, bodybuilding, martial arts, meditation)
-factions/guilds with long questlines (+repeatable quests for making money and RP)
-jobs for earning money without violence (stock trading, renting,smuggling)
-learning skills outside your class with the help of expensive trainers (limited to 1 or 2)
-crafting (weapons/body armor, meds,implants)
-weapons with modifiers (like enchantments)
-weapon durability
-telekinetic/pyrokinetic powers
-character screen with attributes, skills, class,implants and faction you belong to(+rank) and your gear.
-health regenerates only with sleeping, eating or meds (so money is more important)
-robotic dog companion u can customize and upgrade with weapons, shields, AI packages(DPS, tanking, stealth, stand between door)
-legendary/unique loot with set bonuses dropped by bosses
-special talents or loot unlocked by completing puzzles or uncovering secrets
-housing with displays for weapons, clothing and trophies
-books with the lore of the game
-hero classes (?)
-special implants and headgear that changes your UI (expensive ones even give info about your enemies, cheap ones only show health)
-tattoos, scars and different body types
-genetic mutations that give a bonus and a penalty depending on the mutation (like a blessing system).
-Mike Pondsmith as an NPC ingame
-pretty ladies

In open world RPGs I like to start with maxing 1 crafting profession in one of the cities and get rich, before I join any factions or do any quests. Unfortunately there is just one game franchise that allows me to do that (think dragons, shouting, bugs) and I have lost all hope they will ever do a proper RPG with depth again. So I hope Cyberpunk 2077 could stratch that ich.

[0]CDProjektRed style quests and story
[1]100 max character lvl
[2]skills with their own talent trees
[3]minor skills without talent trees (running, bodybuilding, martial arts, meditation)
[4]factions/guilds with long questlines (+repeatable quests for making money and RP)
[5]jobs for earning money without violence (stock trading, renting,smuggling)
[6]learning skills outside your class with the help of expensive trainers (limited to 1 or 2)
[7]crafting (weapons/body armor, meds,implants)
[8]weapons with modifiers (like enchantments)
[9]weapon durability
[10]telekinetic/pyrokinetic powers
[11]character screen with attributes, skills, class,implants and faction you belong to(+rank) and your gear.
[12]health regenerates only with sleeping, eating or meds (so money is more important)
[13]robotic dog companion u can customize and upgrade with weapons, shields, AI packages(DPS, tanking, stealth, stand between door)
[14]legendary/unique loot with set bonuses dropped by bosses
[15]special talents or loot unlocked by completing puzzles or uncovering secrets
[16]housing with displays for weapons, clothing and trophies
[17]books with the lore of the game
[18]hero classes (?)
[19]special implants and headgear that changes your UI (expensive ones even give info about your enemies, cheap ones only show health)
[20]tattoos, scars and different body types
[21]genetic mutations that give a bonus and a penalty depending on the mutation (like a blessing system).
[22]Mike Pondsmith as an NPC ingame
[23]pretty ladies

*Edited quote to include numbers for ease of response.

0. Agreed.
1. I hope they do it like the PnP and keep away from levels entirely. Character progression should be narrative based, skill based and equipment based. Levels are an unnecessary mechanic for this game and will add little to the already existing PnP mechanics while simultaneously including a myriad of game-play problems related to quest level, open would game balance, and etc.
2. I do hope skill points will be acquired for completing certain quests, for exploring certain places and etc. I'm not sure how I feel about "talent trees," but I'm not necessarily opposed to it as a mechanic ... if it's done well it can work.
3. Nah. If your gonna use trees, use them, if not then don't.
4. Factions with quest lines should be included. I hope some factions are mutually exclusive. I hate games where you can end up the leader of ever faction in the game. I hope they do not include radiant repeatable quests. Radiant quests are antithetical to well designed stories.
5. I'm afraid this would take away more than it adds.
6. You should check out the way roles (the closest thing to classes) work in cyberpunk.
7. Agreed.
8. Agreed.
10. Probably not in favor of this. If they want to include some NPC characters with physic powers I guess I'd be okay with it. IIRC there are some unofficial CP materials that deal with this stuff. But I don't remember it in the regular book. I could be wrong though, I haven't played the PnP in a long time and have had to be reeducated here several times.
11. Pretty sure something like this will be included.
12. Health regeneration is a difficult thing in cyberpunk generally.
13. I don't really want this. I'm not hugely against it, but it's very low on the list of priorities.
14. Sure.
15. Agreed.
16. Sure, but most "houses" should be small dingy apartments, with maybe 1-2 bigger places for players who make money. It's should be VERY hard to get rich in CP 2077.
17. I think something like this will be included. Although I would expect the books to be mostly in digital form.
18. Again, not classes - roles. I don't think "hero classes" is appropriate within the world. There might be some specialized roles, but becoming some hugely overpowerful god-like hero character is not very cyberpunk.
19. Agreed.
20. Agreed.
21. No.
22. Why not?
23. Sure and handsome men and pretty men too ... a little something for the ladies. I also hope there are ugly men and women.

Last edited:
So.....what do you guys think, are these any good?

1-CDProjektRed style quests and story
2-100 max character lvl
3-skills with their own talent trees
4-minor skills without talent trees (running, bodybuilding, martial arts, meditation)
5-factions/guilds with long questlines (+repeatable quests for making money and RP)
6-jobs for earning money without violence (stock trading, renting,smuggling)
7-learning skills outside your class with the help of expensive trainers (limited to 1 or 2)
8-crafting (weapons/body armor, meds,implants)
9-weapons with modifiers (like enchantments)
10-weapon durability
11-telekinetic/pyrokinetic powers
12-character screen with attributes, skills, class,implants and faction you belong to(+rank) and your gear.
13-health regenerates only with sleeping, eating or meds (so money is more important)
14-robotic dog companion u can customize and upgrade with weapons, shields, AI packages(DPS, tanking, stealth, stand between door)
15-legendary/unique loot with set bonuses dropped by bosses
16-special talents or loot unlocked by completing puzzles or uncovering secrets
17-housing with displays for weapons, clothing and trophies
18-books with the lore of the game
19-hero classes (?)
20-special implants and headgear that changes your UI (expensive ones even give info about your enemies, cheap ones only show health)
21-tattoos, scars and different body types
22-genetic mutations that give a bonus and a penalty depending on the mutation (like a blessing system).
23-Mike Pondsmith as an NPC ingame
24-pretty ladies

In open world RPGs I like to start with maxing 1 crafting profession in one of the cities and get rich, before I join any factions or do any quests. Unfortunately there is just one game franchise that allows me to do that (think dragons, shouting, bugs) and I have lost all hope they will ever do a proper RPG with depth again. So I hope Cyberpunk 2077 could stratch that ich.

1- If it's in the CP vibe, agreed.

- As Rawls, I'm rather for a narative progression than level based one. You're a nobody, being lvl 100 won't avoid you being killed in one headshot.

- The origial skill are pretty much good as they are, unless they add new stuff, I think they can keep what we already have.

- same as above

- If they stay true to the original Pnp, we should have a lots of gangs, corporations, etc... to join, so I agree with this.

- Agreed

- Agreed (tho, roles only gives you one major skill, you can freely learn others)

- Agreed

- Hum... It's cyberpunk, not Shadowrun, no magic stuff involved, so the only modifiers are the bullets that you put in your gun, not the gun itself

- Should, as in the pnp, depends on what gun you have, some have good durability, some shitty one.

- Hum, same as above, Cyberpunk is based in "our" real world, sure, some people have some amazing powers, but they're very rare, anyway, even if you'd have those, you'd have more chance to just end in a corporate facility as a guinea pig.

- I'm ok with that

- Agreed, just like in the pnp

- As cool as it sounds, that sounds at lil too "Fallout4", not that having a companion would be bad, but it's cyberpunk, you're shitpoor, your life sucks, you don't deserve having a cool robot dog, it's for the rich one, not you. (Think about Elysium, you're the dirty earth dude, not the space rich one). I'd rather have to get a few "human" npc for companion, rather than using a robot dog, or else that mean that everybody can use a cyberdog, and well, streets are going to look pretty silly...

- Again, it's not fantasy or a bethesda game, you'll probably have some rare ammo, find a rare weapon, or something like this, but every Glock.9mm or any AK47 are going to do the same thing, weapon manufacturer still don't have hired wizards yet.

- Could be nice.

- I'm not much for housing, you're not Mr Nice Guy with his nice house and wife. You're an edgerunner (think about, like, the hackers in Mr Robot), you live on the run, you probably have a bunch of people wanting to put your cold body in a meatbag for diverses reasons.
You should stay in coffins motel, etc... The only housing aviable should be when you join some "secure" clan, like a corporation a gang or something, now they'd probably give you a place to put your things, etc...
Otherwise you should just act like a paranoid, never spending two days at the same place because "you never know".
Going to steal some secret cyberteck in arasaka's labs and then going home to take a shower and watching TV doesn't looks very "edgerunner"-like to me haha.

- Books are too much "oldies" sounding, it's cyberpunk, we should have old documentary, old TV-news videos, old website archive, etc...

- Just stick to the original roles (probably add Panzerboy and Street Punk) and we'll be fine

20- Agreed

- Agreed

22-
That wouldn't much stick to Cyberpunk, plus there aren't much things you can do with genetics if you want to stay credible (they can set your hair/skin/eyes colors, probably your body shape or whatever, but they can't make you a super-mutant).

- Agree

- Agree, tho, most rich people would have to be pretty, and the more you go to poor place, the more people gets ugly, or at least, can't get as pretty as the wealthy people.

Also, you'll never get rich in cyberpunk, you'll always have a shitty day in front of you, if you have money, you'll get it stealed, if you don't have any, you'll have to steal it from someone, it's how it works.
Honnest people ends up dead or poor.
You can't win in Cyberpunk, you just can save your sore ass for another day of an another dose of bullshit.

I'd say usually.
No need for "levels" or "scaling" or any of that stuff. Make situations as realistic as they should be. If you're dealing with some street hood it's easy, if you're dealing with a neighborhood gang no so, if you're dealing with a corp you damn well better be highly skilled and well equipped. None of that requires levels/scaling ... just common sense.

This.

You don't need to turn it in a FPS, but the roleplay in RPG also means "How Am I to deal with this situation?"
You shouldn't go in a fight everytime it shows up, you should think wisely and know when you'd better throw your guns down or start shooting.
Sure, if you can turn the fight at your advantage, get your gun, it's showtime.
That would be a nice balance.
You can have a big firepower, still you'll always have situations where you'll better have to keep quiet if you want to live.

Last edited:

Guest 3907430

Thank you both for replying. As you can already tell, I know nothing about the Cyberpunk genre, I just made a list of thinks I would like to see in a futuristic open world RPG.

That said, I find it intriguing, that you are opposed to talent trees. While I agree that combat should be lethal even at high levels (like Dark Souls), I think there should be talent trees for every skill. Whenever RPGs use talent/skill/perk trees people always complain if there are too many talents that only give a percentage increase to something like damage, because that is boring and talents should open up new gameplay possibilities. But without talent trees and a main lvl (that gives you talent points to spend) you only have skill levels (which at their core are only a percentage increase to damage or effectiveness of the skill).

So if you only have skills, there is nothing there to improve about your character, or change about the gameplay itself. Without talent trees you lose a whole lot of customization options I think, especially for an RPG.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really can't tell a player "In order to learn this new skill 6 in-game months pass and everything you're been doing is now void or put on magical hold".

I'm saying it'd be nice to learn these skills as you progress and learn from real experts and gurus. It's beyond me how a character learns it by himself. When the character helps and gains trust from certain NPCs, he should gain their knowledge and expertise. And here's the cool thing, the character can't learn all skills or abilities because there are factions and you can only choose one. If you want to learn something from other factions, then I think there should some sort of restrictions to what certain skills you can learn, so you don't become ridiculously powerful. This would be only possible through having moles inside factions and gaining information out of them. Or you just bribe certain NPCs inside the group to learn them. But I was thinking since many citizens are already enhanced to a degree and have cyberware inside of them, they should be able to learn from software installation into their system. If all citizen had some sort of cyberware inside of them to learn new tricks and skills, that'd be pretty cool. I know it's a game, but it should also try to be as realistic as possible. Putting these small details aren't taxing for the devs or the players and I think it works well on rewarding players for their effort.

Thank you both for replying. As you can already tell, I know nothing about the Cyberpunk genre, I just made a list of thinks I would like to see in a futuristic open world RPG.

That said, I find it intriguing, that you are opposed to talent trees. While I agree that combat should be lethal even at high levels (like Dark Souls), I think there should be talent trees for every skill. Whenever RPGs use talent/skill/perk trees people always complain if there are too many talents that only give a percentage increase to something like damage, because that is boring and talents should open up new gameplay possibilities. But without talent trees and a main lvl (that gives you talent points to spend) you only have skill levels (which at their core are only a percentage increase to damage or effectiveness of the skill).

So if you only have skills, there is nothing there to improve about your character, or change about the gameplay itself. Without talent trees you lose a whole lot of customization options I think, especially for an RPG.

I'm not against talent threes, there's kinda one in CP2020 (skills are classed by stats):

I just find this one pretty effective on p'n'p, it stick to pretty much every situations.
Now, I don't know how CP77 will play out, so I can't argue much about it.

Most "Talent Tree" systems, while they occasionally open new abilities, consist mostly of incremental improvements to abilities.

A) You learn a new ability
A1) You improve that ability
A2) You improve ability even further
A3) ...

With a purely skill based system it's much the same.
A) You lean a new skill which allows you to do something new
A1) You improve that skill
A2) ...

It's really the same thing BUT with one major difference.
With Talent trees you only get access to certain abilities late in the tree, with a skill based system you can access any skill you wish at any time. And there's no requirement to have X number of talent points spent at a certain level in the tree before you can access the higher tier skills.

And here's the cool thing, the character can't learn all skills or abilities because there are factions and you can only choose one. If you want to learn something from other factions, then I think there should some sort of restrictions to what certain skills you can learn, so you don't become ridiculously powerful. This would be only possible through having moles inside factions and gaining information out of them. Or you just bribe certain NPCs inside the group to learn them.
That's simple and handled in almost every PnP game.
You don't, and will (almost) never get enough skill points to learn everything. It's up to you to pick and choose what you do learn.

Last edited:
1 - CRPG character, item design
2 - Assassin's Creed type combat/movement
3 - Skyrim-like open-ness (though that's debatable)

That's it. Basically the Witcher 3 with verticality.

Oh, and turn based of course. At least on some level. People who think everything needs to be in real time and the game needs to be forcing you into action every single second of gameplay are stupid and/or not completely sane. You need a preparation/action temporal mechanic, always.

Oh, and turn based of course. At least on some level. People who think everything needs to be in real time and the game needs to be forcing you into action every single second of gameplay are stupid and/or not completely sane. You need a preparation/action temporal mechanic, always.
No, they're just adrenaline junkies who prefer to "act" not "react".

Top Bottom