Dune fans: A "lost" interview with Frank Herbert

+
Dune fans: A "lost" interview with Frank Herbert

Not really lost, but never reprinted since 1984 when it was published in L.A. Reader. Herbert died in 1986.
Part one
Part two
Part three

I'm a big fan of the original novel, though I admit by book 3 Herbert kind of lost me with all the Golden Path stuff. This is making me want to go back and finish the cycle as well as read the novels where his son picked up the story.

He was turned down by 22 publishers before it finally got published!!!

I´ve been doing my best for 20 years to forget there´s more than one book. The unbelievable situations and retcons just kept getting worse and worse.

It's a pretty sick commentary of our society that the very best authors can't get publishers, yet their work soars after their death.

Aegonis said:
It's a pretty sick commentary of our society that the very best authors can't get publishers, yet their work soars after their death.

What are you talking about? Yeah, Dune was tough for him to get published, but Herbert had pretty much nothing but success, for decades, after it did. He didn't suddenly become popular after he died.

Veleda said:
I'm a big fan of the original novel, though I admit by book 3 Herbert kind of lost me with all the Golden Path stuff. This is making me want to go back and finish the cycle as well as read the novels where his son picked up the story.
Thanks for the info, I'm exactly the same with the series, first book is great, superb concept imo - a deep metaphor for evolution, nature or nurture, wrapped in space age feudalism - maybe it was this central anachronism that was just too much, too original & unfamiliar, for those publishers in the 60's to get their heads around, 'cos 22 strikes in a row for such a retrospectively acknowledged classic is beyond unimaginative... its unbelievable. Just like the story after the first book

I actually picked up 'God Emporer of Dune(#4)" a few months ago to have on hand for when my scifi/fantasy switch flips next, but at the same time I won't be surprised if I put it down pretty quick. Out epic-ing the previous zenith to the point of incredulity is how I remember the series going.

Veleda said:
Very common in the past certainly, artists & composers were tradesmen, not celebrities. Not so much these days though, I can't recall a person during my lifetime whose work only became recognised posthumously. Nikola Tesla, maybe, but only the west forgot him, Herman Melville (Moby Dick) was unsuccessful in life, forgotten in death, only to be appreciated 60+ years later, but that was in the 1930's. Vivaldi was a rock star punk impresario in his day, as world famous as you could be, gradually forgotten after his death (no recordings, limited transcribing), until 200 years later a palimpsest of his scores are found and the 'Four Seasons' is back, it's difficult to conceive that it was away.

No, the generations alive today, when they forget or seemingly fail to recognise a living talent, it's more likely there was nothing there in the first place. :p

I wonder what Herbert would think of the Sci Fi Channel miniseries. I think they did a pretty good job in translating the story, visuals and atmosphere, and music.

Interesting looking Dune documentary on the horizon according to the BBC.

Personally I prefer the David Lynch version to the scifi ones, if only it had achieved the 12 hours or so he intended, although they are really good, I have just never found Alec Newman particularly watchable.

Shame this Jodorowsky one didn't make it to screen, it sounds excellent.

Top Bottom