DX 11 Tessellation?!

+
DX 11 Tessellation?!

is there dx11 tessellation for terrain and buildings on the pc version?i just know that there is a water tessellation

thx...so it's just missed on characters right?
Yes, no character tessellation only environment, terrain and water IIRC. I don't think that has changed.

Can you please tell me where exactly in config? I've seen only WaterTessellation.
Dunno, doesn't have to be a toggle, in a lot of games it's tied to the highest environment setting.

is there dx11 tessellation for terrain and buildings on the pc version?i just know that there is a water tessellation

From what i have seen of the new screenshots and gameplay videos the terrain tessellation is gone... In the E3 2014 demo you can see the tessellation on buildings and ground, but not the new... And there is the "Real" or "Fake" article that says that the tessellation is removed from the game with a bunch of other things.

You make the call bro.

link to the article: http://whatifgaming.com/developer-i...-from-2013-list-of-all-features-taken-out-why

is there a dev around here that can confirm if there is or not dx11 tessellation on terrain and buildings on pc version?? :) thanks

I see, so, what do you think, can we expect to see (in PC version with "uber" preset) a little better wall, than PS4 have?
No, that's not tessellation, that's a rock mesh that has been removed, that's all there is to it.

Tessellation is used to subtly enhance image not perform MAGIC. It may give a bump to certain edges/walls/whatever or to make things rounder - character ears, ropes, wheels(in games where applicable). Things like that, I'm guessing you have your expectations set by the game known(infamy) for its most wasteful use of tessellation - Crysis, which put needless tessellation on things like fences, barricades and benches, little pebbles and rocks which absolutely staggers the performance for no good reason. It's pretty well known among the Crydev people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYL07c74Jr4

Here is a good example:
http://international.download.nvidi...nteractive-comparison-2-very-high-vs-off.html

Tessellation was something 'new' and considered very taxing 4 years ago, big difference between then and now.

[...] for no good reason.

Well, not really. If someone wants super-hiper-ultra details, and looks at every frame like at a picture, than it actually makes things look better. Should be an option for enthusiasts only, but it definately has a reason, IMHO at least :)

I am also curious how much of the tesselation we wil encounter in W3, only 6 days left to see :)

Well, not really. If someone wants super-hiper-ultra details, and looks at every frame like at a picture, than it actually makes things look better.
And that is not optimal in any way, but that isn't why it's infamous anyway. It's infamous because it uses tessellation on objects THAT DON'T NEED IT and have no visible visual benefit as highlighted in that video.

Tessellation is NOT magic, it can add polygons to certain surfaces to make them look better BUT THAT HAS A LIMIT! I think the best way I can think to describe it is - it's like trying to apply 32x MSAA to an image that doesn't benefit from anything over 8x and just kills performance.

But that's going offtopic, so let's not start our own... Crisis.

Last edited:
Well, not really. If someone wants super-hiper-ultra details, and looks at every frame like at a picture, than it actually makes things look better. Should be an option for enthusiasts only, but it definately has a reason, IMHO at least :)

I am also curious how much of the tesselation we wil encounter in W3, only 6 days left to see :)

i would like to have the option ro crank it al up.. my pc can handle it

So flat walls at any settings for pc?
What I said:
That's not tessellation, that's a separate mesh.

Nothing else.

Why would you think flat walls? Clearly even in that screenshot the E3 build had flat horizontal tiles and the PS4 version has not-flat tiles on the bridge. Floor/Walls same principle applies. They are NOT flat, you can see they are bumped, even the tower walls they ARE bumped it's very clearly visible.

those walls have parallax mapping on them?
They have some displacement technique used, I don't know WHICH one.

Last edited:
What I said:

Nothing else.

Why would you think flat walls? Clearly even in that screenshot the E3 build had flat horizontal tiles and the PS4 version has not-flat tiles on the bridge. Floor/Walls same principle applies. They are NOT flat, you can see they are bumped, even the tower walls they ARE bumped it's very clearly visible.

those walls have parallax mapping on them?

---------- Updated at 01:44 PM ----------

What I said:

Nothing else.

They have some displacement technique used, I don't know WHICH one.

i appreciate your input

What I said:

Nothing else.
Correct me if i'm wrong, You said that it's "separate mesh" @ those screens, taken from (what version?) ps4? And it's "removed".
You meant it's not mesh but something else technique looks like?

I do not want to offend anyone, but how is this not considered a flat wall? :p

Correct me if i'm wrong, You said that it's "separate mesh" @ those screens, taken from (what version?) ps4? And it's "removed".
You meant it's not mesh but something else technique looks like?
I mean I think it's not a displacement technique at all, it's not normal/bump/parallax mapping or tessellation, it's just a separate model(meshes create a model) that's visible in the first screenshot and not there in the 2nd screenie. It was not part of the original tower model but added to it later. This is not optimal because that creates a really horrible unoptimized mess of a random rock added to a tower mesh that was created with certain things in mind - polygon count/budget of the scene. I'm guessing that's why it's gone but it's my guess not 'fact'.

I guess I'll take the help of my old friend Paint

I do not want to offend anyone, but how is this not considered a flat wall? :p
That entire screenshot looks bugged to be honest, you'll notice it has no shadows or AO.

Top Bottom