Dyes & dyeing outside Toussaint

+
Dyes & dyeing outside Toussaint

Can we please get the dyes & dyeing unlocked for the rest of the game world, please? I don't mean have it work without the DLC, but can it please not be limited to just Toussaint? I see no reason for this, unless it's a major technical issue. There is even a dyeing industry outside Novigrad.

+1000

I see no reason why we need the DLC for it to work regardless, it should have been an extra free feature.

Definetly somethign that coudl get baselined into the main game..however, with CDPR brignign out soon a GOTY edition, this won't be a problem then anymore for new players...

I think the system should get expanded also a bit more and make it possible to recolor ALL equipment, not just only the Witcher gear ...

because anyone who buys the GOTY edition will instantly have also both expansions and thus will have access to they dyes the very moment you travel to Toussaint ...

because anyone who buys the GOTY edition will instantly have also both expansions and thus will have access to they dyes the very moment you travel to Toussaint ...

Yes, but even for them, you have to have saved Dandelion and choose to start the Blood & Wine questline and travel to Toussaint. Which, at it's earliest, is likely to be around the mid-teen levels. And it's going to be completely stupid and immersion breaking to play it at that point; so early. You also have to travel back & forth in Toussaint.

What I'm asking for is to allow dye drops and a dye merchant in the areas from the main-game, so this gameplay element is available from the start. Just add a dye-merchant at the dyeworks outside Novigrad (make them only show if you have B&W installed if you have to).

But it seems bizarre to me that people are going to be at least halfway through the game, or even more likely finished WH and HoS, by the time they get to dye anything. With all those Witcher gear sets come and gone in the meantime.

Well in the story Dying is specific to Toussaint. So I don't see the problem. It actualy makes sense because nothern people don't concern themselves with such feature in time of war. In any case I don't like this system. It brought less detailed armors and colors I personaly don't like for a system no one really asked for...

Well in the story Dying is specific to Toussaint. So I don't see the problem. It actualy makes sense because nothern people don't concern themselves with such feature in time of war. In any case I don't like this system. It brought less detailed armors and colors I personaly don't like for a system no one really asked for...

Yeah, that must be why all those northern army uniforms I find (Redanian, Termerian, Kaedweni, etc.) are just plain white cotton and wool... ???

Last edited:
Does it make such a huge difference for you, if you can dye your stuff now from begin on, or first when you come to Toussaint???

I played through the whoel main game, then HoS and am now in Toussaint and I can say for myself, i absolutely never missed it not having the ability to dye my stuff anywhen in the time when I was playing the vanilla content or HoS...

So why do you think is it THAT MUCH important, that dyeable witcher equipment (because nothign else is dyeable!!!) must be accessibel already in the early state of the vaniklla game???

Not to mention that you need to be first Level 11 or so, before you can even wear your very first witcher gear set if you have by that time even a complete set collected and crafted to wear it and the dyes for it then to dye it so that it looks in the end complete and not like some kind of weird incomplete dyed mess...

I see it as minicram... the nothlings absolutely give a crap about dyes, looking good ect. while the people of Toussaint are alot more educated, give much more about looking good and being seen by others, thus give alot more about dyes.... lorewise it just makes sense that such a feature should be locked to toussaint in my opinion

Does it make such a huge difference for you, if you can dye your stuff now from begin on, or first when you come to Toussaint???

I played through the whoel main game, then HoS and am now in Toussaint and I can say for myself, i absolutely never missed it not having the ability to dye my stuff anywhen in the time when I was playing the vanilla content or HoS...

So why do you think is it THAT MUCH important, that dyeable witcher equipment (because nothign else is dyeable!!!) must be accessibel already in the early state of the vaniklla game???

Not to mention that you need to be first Level 11 or so, before you can even wear your very first witcher gear set if you have by that time even a complete set collected and crafted to wear it and the dyes for it then to dye it so that it looks in the end complete and not like some kind of weird incomplete dyed mess...

I see it as minicram... the nothlings absolutely give a crap about dyes, looking good ect. while the people of Toussaint are alot more educated, give much more about looking good and being seen by others, thus give alot more about dyes.... lorewise it just makes sense that such a feature should be locked to toussaint in my opinion

I think you are exaggerating what I'm saying, lol. When did I mention this as something of 'vital importance'? Jesus. You're the one looking for roleplaying and 'lore' reasons why to exclude it. I just said I'd like to see a gameplay mechanic extended to the rest (4/5) of the game. Given it's about dyeing witcher gear and 9/10 witcher gear sets are found outside Toussaint. And likely, if the feature is left restricted to Toussaint, 9/10 of those witcher sets will never be dyed. And your (or indeed my own) appreciation (or lack thereof) for the gameplay system have nothing do with it. I, personally, would like the choice on customizing each set I find, as I find it. I might dye it all, just a bit, or leave it how it already is. I'd at least like the option.

And, if you want 'lore' reasons, again: if Nordlings don't dye during war then why are aren't all their military uniforms plain white cotton and wool? Do you think they grow rare red, blue and yellow varities of cottons? ???

Last edited:
Yeah, that must be why all those northern army uniforms I find (Redanian, Termerian, Kaedweni, etc.) are just plain white cotton and wool... ???

There is a difference between personal dying and mass coloration for an army that should be recognized but okay.

There is a difference between personal dying and mass coloration for an army that should be recognized but okay.

Yeah, nah, there isn't. Take the armorer in Oxenfurt, doing orders for the Redanian army, does he refuse Geralt or anyone else? Do you think the Redanian, or Koviri, armies employ their own military dyers? No, they commission orders from civilians. There is an actual civilian dyeing industry outside Novigrad, FFS.

This thread was about expanding a gameplay mechanic so it can get the widest use. I can't believe I'm debating the 'lore' merits of armor customization in an RPG. I should remember where I am, I guess...

Last edited:
Okay folks. Please be kind and remember to act civilized and not over reacting.

Different opinions are allowed and there is no reason for verbal attacks. I wouldn't like to push my "delete" button.

Last edited:

That's actually not true - there's a massive pigment-making operation just outside of Novigrad in Far Corners that looks very similar to the dye merchant in Beauclair. Also, dying clothes is how clothes get their color so obviously dye exists in every realm.

That said, I think the dye system sucks and wish CDPR had invested those resources into something that the game actually needs, like a proper NG+ or camera controls or a true alchemy system, so dye can stay in Toussaint for all I care :)

Top Bottom