Dying Light 2

+
Never played, and wasn't interested in the first one. But after watching that 25min gameplay, I think the game will actually be on my radar. I like how the environments can change due to the player choice, and the parkour mechanics looked more defined in this one. Though I wish they would get rid of that stupid drop kick.

That drop kick is the single most fun thing in that game, i hope they never get rid of it. Drop kicking zombies into spikes was hilarious and really changed how the game was played

According to some Techland developers, the game in it's current condition is a complete mess and they are not sure if they will release it this year at all. The work on the second Techland project (the fantasy game with some of The Witcher 3 writers) is currently at a standstill because of that.

Article in polish, but Google Translate does a decent job with translation.

Thank you Shavod for sharing!

It's a real shame.
I have high expectations of DL2 as well as cyberpunk 2077. And their second project? Which I presume Damien Monnier (former REDs) joined with, being at standstill is... I don't know what to say...:cry:

Hope they'll release DL2 next year on next gen like DL1!

It's a real shame.
I have high expectations of DL2 as well as cyberpunk 2077. And their second project? Which I presume Damien Monnier (former REDs) joined with, being at standstill is... I don't know what to say...:cry:

Well, it's just a feelings and opinions of some developers, so while it's a bit worrisome, Techland should still be given a benefit of the doubt, as even the article I linked said.

It's a real shame.

Damien Monnier left Techland to start his own studio "exit plan games" with Jose Teixeira, former CDPR fx artist. In Techland Warsaw there are many former CDPR employees. Karolina Stachyra, writer responsible for probably the most impactful quest like Bloody baron or wedding (from expansion). Arkadiusz Borowik, senior writer for W2 and 3, Stanisław Święcicki, senior writer from CP2077 team and many more important W3 devs.

Last edited:
According to some Techland developers, the game in it's current condition is a complete mess and they are not sure if they will release it this year at all. The work on the second Techland project (the fantasy game with some of The Witcher 3 writers) is currently at a standstill because of that.

Article in polish, but Google Translate does a decent job with translation.
Techland's PR manager.
Read all the discussion.:shrug:

Good to see the official confirmation! :D

Damien Monnier left Techland to start his own studio "exit plan games" with Jose Teixeira, former CDPR fx artist. In Techland Warsaw there are many former CDPR employees. Karolina Stachtyra, writer responsible for probably the most impactful quest like Bloody baron or wedding (from expansion). Arkadiusz Borowik, senior writer for W2 and 3, Stanisław Święcicki, senior writer from CP2077 team and many more important W3 devs.
I,I...didn't know about that, especially Exit Plan Games. Thanks!
I thought Jose and Karolina were still at CDPR working on Cyberpunk 2077. :facepalm:

Sild

Ex-moderator
I wouldn't worry too much about it. I recall reading something very similar about cdpr from when they were working on the Witcher 3 and it turned out just fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I recall reading something very similar about cdpr from when they were working on the Witcher 3 and it turned out just fine.
Fact is these are the reasons behind most of the delays (not talking about CDPR specifically since we don't know for sure, contrary to Bioware of which we know thanks to schreirer) because a lack of good and strong leadership brings to devs working on many different things over and over again to see them be scrapped and taken back many times before the game is complete. Too many ideas that change over time create confusion.
On the other side, this explains how Kojima could deliver death stranding in a ridiculously short time compared to AAA standards. I don't want to spoil the game (DON'T WATCH THOSE TRAILERS!) but he showcased some of the last cutscenes you see in the game when he didn't even have a game engine to work on. He had a perfectly clear idea of what game he wanted to make and everything flowed in that direction (also, they're Japanese and most likely live all their work-life in crunch).

P.S. this is applicable to any job, not just for the gaming industry.

Last edited:

Sild

Ex-moderator
Fact is these are the reasons behind most of the delays (not talking about CDPR specifically since we don't know for sure, contrary to Bioware of which we know thanks to schreirer) because a lack of good and strong leadership brings to devs working on many different things over and over again to see them be scrapped and taken back many times before the game is complete. Too many ideas that change over time create confusion.
On the other side, this explains how Kojima could deliver death stranding in a ridiculously short time compared to AAA standards. I don't want to spoil the game (DON'T WATCH THOSE TRAILERS!) but he showcased some of the last cutscenes you see in the game when he didn't even have a game engine to work on. He had a perfectly clear idea of what game he wanted to make and everything flowed in that direction (also, they're Japanese and most likely live all their work-life in crunch).

I don't disagree with what you said, but not everyone is Kojima. And strong leadership is a bit ambiguous in this case. If something that can make a better game pops up mid development you have to take it, if the conditions allow you to (mostly financial in this case) and again and again and everytime you have the opportunity to do so. Yes that can cause confusions down the ranks and even disgruntlement for scrapping perfectly good and serviceable work but that's something to be expected when you're trying to do something new and innovative (lest you enter a reciclying loop like.. You now who, and suddenly your technically perfect game gets bashed for stagnation). So far they've been doing a pretty good job.. It's what gave us Dying Light (was supposed to be a sequel to Dead Island, if memory serves) :shrug:

I don't disagree with what you said, but not everyone is Kojima. And strong leadership is a bit ambiguous in this case. If something that can make a better game pops up mid development you have to take it, if the conditions allow you to (mostly financial in this case) and again and again and everytime you have the opportunity to do so. Yes that can cause confusions down the ranks and even disgruntlement for scrapping perfectly good and serviceable work but that's something to be expected when you're trying to do something new and innovative (lest you enter a reciclying loop like.. You now who, and suddenly your technically perfect game gets bashed for stagnation). So far they've been doing a pretty good job.. It's what gave us Dying Light (was supposed to be a sequel to Dead Island, if memory serves) :shrug:
I absolutely agree with everything. Just saying that it usually lead to delays if the company can afford it, game being cancelled, or released bugged AF (or worse) as we saw way too many times in the last 10 years. :)

I absolutely agree with everything. Just saying that it usually lead to delays if the company can afford it, game being cancelled, or released bugged AF (or worse) as we saw way too many times in the last 10 years. :)

I think it's easy to point the finger at leadership when something goes wrong. (Even easier if looking in from the outside.) Truth is, there are sometimes things that go wrong because of completely unforeseeable circumstances out of anyone's (even the leadership's) control. When that happens, even if the brass responds exceptionally well...nothing can undo the delay and/or damage it causes.

I can imagine the majority of the world being quarantined for weeks or months will directly translate into delays. Yes, Dying Light 2, as well.

I think it's easy to point the finger at leadership when something goes wrong. (Even easier if looking in from the outside.) Truth is, there are sometimes things that go wrong because of completely unforeseeable circumstances out of anyone's (even the leadership's) control. When that happens, even if the brass responds exceptionally well...nothing can undo the delay and/or damage it causes.

I can imagine the majority of the world being quarantined for weeks or months will directly translate into delays. Yes, Dying Light 2, as well.
I haven't denied anything of what you wrote. I just said what consequences a bad leadership can bring.

I haven't denied anything of what you wrote. I just said what consequences a bad leadership can bring.

And that's perfectly valid. I just refrain from pointing the finger at anything unless I can see a direct cause-effect. (Even then, I'm wrong sometimes.)

Right now, I'd find it difficult to hold anyone "accountable" with the state the world is in. It is now time for people to be smart and healthy, not taking risks for business ventures or labors of love.

Delaying games is common. If you pay attention, almost every game is delayed before the original launch date. So what? That doesnt make a good or crap game. The final product does. So we gotta wait, and test it. Then we will know.

According to this comment, the alpha milestone was completed a month before the original article (so in early April), and the game was playable from start to finish. But comparing that for example to the timeline of The Witcher 3's development, it would still point towards a 2021 release, which also seems to be the consensus among the employees in the article, only one person suggested late 2020 (and implying that it would be rushed then).

Top Bottom