Dying Light 2

+
According to this comment, the alpha milestone was completed a month before the original article (so in early April), and the game was playable from start to finish. But comparing that for example to the timeline of The Witcher 3's development, it would still point towards a 2021 release, which also seems to be the consensus among the employees in the article, only one person suggested late 2020 (and implying that it would be rushed then).

Normally (as it's not always the case for all games -- but normally), when the game is playable from start to finish is the point at which the title will move from Alpha into Beta. Beta basically means that all of the critical mechanics are in place. Not necessarily everything I want to put in the game, nor that they're working reliably or well balanced yet, but that everything needed is technically there.

From what I've seen, there is still quite a journey ahead from this point. Lots of work getting everything securely in-place, adding in stretch goals, and polishing / testing everything as much as possible before it goes Gold.

1592993640700.png

:giveup:

I've also heard rumors from journalists that DL2 really is in development hell and they announced the game way too early. The hands-off they showed at E3 were actually pre-recorded videos and not played live. :giveup:

View attachment 11047466

:giveup:

I've also heard rumors from journalists that DL2 really is in development hell and they announced the game way too early. The hands-off they showed at E3 were actually pre-recorded videos and not played live. :giveup:
Yeah, I've read this as well.
Avellone's behaviour is unexcusable, but what he was an important piece in making Dying Light 2 a promising game (Dying Light was good, but could have used a Better writing)

Shame, he really is a great writer and I'll always like his work in games like Fallout: New Vegas, but what he did cannot be defended or ignored.

I read some tweets about this and didn’t really understand what Chris did wrong.

He got drunk with a girl, attempted to have sex with her, but didn’t since she rejected him, and left (and probably did that a number of times along the years). All many years ago. And there was an impression of a vindictive ex girlfriend.

I’ve grown to take these sorts of ”me too” things with a grain of salt. But apparently it is still a ticket to certain people to get others fired from their jobs.

Not that I care about DL2 or this whole issue, but since I stumbled upon it and it made me sigh out loud again.

I understand that Chris Avellone's departure affects the future of Dying Light 2, but we are veering off-topic and into the realm of political and world-view topics. So, let's get back to Dying Light 2 and how it will impact the game.

From what I've read the Creative director was fighting with Avellone on how the game should have been shaped, which ultimately caused development problems. Now that Avellone is out of the game (quite literally) I guess the game is going to take a more action-focused path rather than an RPG one (the issue which caused the argument in the first place)

It took some time to find this thread :p

I have a feeling that they are purposefully delaying the game until next gen consoles become more commonly available and then they will cancel the current gen version, making this game a fully next gen title, kinda like they did already with the first Dying Light. That's my guess, at least.

I have a feeling that they are purposefully delaying the game until next gen consoles become more commonly available and then they will cancel the current gen version, making this game a fully next gen title, kinda like they did already with the first Dying Light. That's my guess, at least.
My thought exactly and making DL2 as fully next gen title is more than welcome. :D

I'm more of the idea that development hell and covid affected the game quite hard.

Also, they decided to put Devs in front of the camera and play cool. It reminds me another polish company and we all know how it ended up.

I love Dying Light, it's one of my dream games. I always thought that modern action videogames are stupid like this, not giving the player option to simply climb the obstacle. Imagine being this super enhanced ninja-assassin that can't even climb and jump over a 2 metres fence.

But I don't trust Techland with the second game, I'll wait for reviews, patches and probably some DLC. It's not that Cyberpunk taught me anything. It's just that they never made a Chrome sequel and I'll never forgive them. :D

It seems very good even after they "downgraded" the game compared to the first trailer (at least they admit it) but I won't pre order it.

First because there's no advantage in doing that and second because cdpr has fucked me so hard I still have the trauma. I'll wait for USERS reviews, since CP77 "got 9 and 10" from the media. They can all go fuck themselves. :shrug:

Back to the game itself, I'm a little afraid of how "black and white" the factions are described by the Devs, but let's see how it ends up being.

Last edited:

Guest 4564903

This the game game I am most looking forward to this year but just like any other game I have anticipated for pretty much a decade I will not pre-order it and will wait a few months after release before I even think about buying and quite frankly I will not pay full price as I never do for any game these days.

CDPR Vs techland

Last game was a huge success, loved by everyone and well supported by the company (TW3 and DL)

Both polish

Game was announced way too early and throughout development announced features were cut (cyberpunk and DL2)

Rumors of messy development (cdpr and avellone for DL2)

Aggressive "we love our fans" marketing campaign with a series of recorded events to increase hype (night city wire and dying 2 know)

Delay announcement few months before release (let's see if techland goes for an additional and glorious "post gold further delay")

According to this similarities, we can predict that:

The game is a glorious bug-fest (cyberpunk, DL2??)

The game is literally unplayable on old gen consoles, but the CEO says it runs surprisingly well [...]

I mean, it's clear that techland is copying every move from CDPR, let's hope they are not following 100% that way :LOL:

[Edited -- SigilFey]

Last edited by a moderator:
CDPR Vs techland

Last game was a huge success, loved by everyone and well supported by the company (TW3 and DL)

Both polish

Game was announced way too early and throughout development announced features were cut (cyberpunk and DL2)

Rumors of messy development (cdpr and avellone for DL2)

Aggressive "we love our fans" marketing campaign with a series of recorded events to increase hype (night city wire and dying 2 know)

Delay announcement few months before release (let's see if techland goes for an additional and glorious "post gold further delay")

According to this similarities, we can predict that:

The game is a glorious bug-fest (cyberpunk, DL2??)

The game is literally unplayable on old gen consoles, but the CEO says it runs surprisingly well [...]

I mean, it's clear that techland is copying every move from CDPR, let's hope they are not following 100% that way :LOL:

[Edited -- SigilFey]
Or...

...it means they're an ambitious team trying to do new things. And perhaps the industry of game development is not as simple and straightforward as people think it is. Perhaps, they're forced to experiment, make mistakes, then learn from them as best they can -- just like every other person on the planet. Maybe, when a team engages in a creative venture, there are unexpected hurdles that need to be jumped, and the idealistic vision they had at the beginning doesn't come together in the way people hoped it would.

Yes, it's perfectly fine to like or dislike the final result, and it's perfectly fine to share that feedback. Anyone that wants to scoff at it...well...I hope they remember how that goes when they finally find themselves on the other side of the table.

Or...

...it means they're an ambitious team trying to do new things. And perhaps the industry of game development is not as simple and straightforward as people think it is. Perhaps, they're forced to experiment, make mistakes, then learn from them as best they can -- just like every other person on the planet. Maybe, when a team engages in a creative venture, there are unexpected hurdles that need to be jumped, and the idealistic vision they had at the beginning doesn't come together in the way people hoped it would.

Yes, it's perfectly fine to like or dislike the final result, and it's perfectly fine to share that feedback. Anyone that wants to scoff at it...well...I hope they remember how that goes when they finally find themselves on the other side of the table.
I was just joking about the fact techland is doing 1:1 the things CDPR has done in the last few years, in particular when it comes to marketing campaign, which has literally zero to do with the game itself.

I was just joking about the fact techland is doing 1:1 the things CDPR has done in the last few years, in particular when it comes to marketing campaign, which has literally zero to do with the game itself.
It hasn't been just the last few years. :D

It's the industry. I can remember being furious with the situation back in the '90s especially. "I spend $2,000 on to-of-the-line PC hardware, build it, get everything installed and working -- and the first game I install won't even launch! I pay $60+ for a new game, then it needs to be "patched" 10 times before I can even play it without crashing constantly...or hitting game-breaking bugs...or having my graphics start flickering during a fight!? [InsertContinuingUpsetAndRanting]." I fought for literal weeks trying to get Ultima VII to run when it launched, as its Voodoo Memory manager would absolutely strangle my system at the time. I had to wait for over a year to be able to play the original Deus Ex, as it was so poorly optimized for DirectDraw that performance would become a slide-show after 5 minutes of gameplay.

And decades later, I was still encountering the same things. It's not a matter of developers doing anything wrong -- it's the nature of building something on foundations that are constantly changing under your feet.

So, not only is it creative interpretation, which can always go sideways...e.g. think of how many performances of Annie have been done on stages around the world. It's the same bleepin' show, using the same bleepin' script, and the same bleepin' music, played on the same bleepin' instruments, that have been used in every bleepin' theatrical production, for literal bleepin' centuries...but some of the productions are awesome...and others will flop badly. That is the nature of creative work. Do the same thing over and over, and people will get tired of it. Do anything differently, and there's no guarantee people will like it.

Not only that -- but now try to writing your own musical from scratch while a construction crew is working on replacing the stage under your feet while you're rehearsing, and new types of musical instruments are being invented while you're actively trying to work on the score. In the end, you started creating a production that would be done on a classic proscenium stage with an orchestra of acoustic instruments in the pit...and by the end, you're dealing with a thrust stage with arena seating, changing all of the sight lines, and the orchestra is a mix of acoustic and electronic instruments, pre-recorded mix-tracks, and it needs to be amplified from off-stage via a sound system that didn't even exist when production had started. Oh, it's also being filmed now as well, so the lighting needs to work for both stage and film.

Game development is more like that, if it's going to be a big production that really tries to push the envelope and create something new. Which is also why many triple-A devs tend to simply regurgitate the same stuff over and over until people lose interest, and why many indie devs take a much more reserved approach to their designs (using minimalistic graphics, more narrow focus for game mechanics, etc.)

Top Bottom