Dying Light 2

+
I don't know how many of you know of Skill Up, but his reviews usually fit my own opinions more than any other outlet out there, including all the big ones and Youtubers.

I feel that at the moment, his reviews are the most well-balanced.

I just watched his review of DL2, and I am pretty sure that once again, it will reflect my thoughts when I get to play it.

I often go the other way around, though. Play the game, then watch his reviews. I feel that this is a good way to ensure that we truly share some opinions and that his future reviews will likely give me a real pulse on the game I am looking to purchase.

Edit: His initial review of CP77 was spot on, in my opinion. So was RDR2. Longer ones that covered beautifully every aspect of the game in question.

I do, sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I totally disagree :LOL:

Haven't watched his review of DL2 yet

Well, I sometime disagree too, but most of those time he makes it 100% clear that those are only his own opinions and nothing more (regarding specific subjects or points). He always adds caveat that build a solid foundations for healthy debates.

Can't say the same about many.

I don't know how many of you know of Skill Up, but his reviews usually fit my own opinions more than any other outlet out there, including all the big ones and Youtubers.

I feel that at the moment, his reviews are the most well-balanced.

I just watched his review of DL2, and I am pretty sure that once again, it will reflect my thoughts when I get to play it.

I often go the other way around, though. Play the game, then watch his reviews. I feel that this is a good way to ensure that we truly share some opinions and that his future reviews will likely give me a real pulse on the game I am looking to purchase.

Edit: His initial review of CP77 was spot on, in my opinion. So was RDR2. Longer ones that covered beautifully every aspect of the game in question.
Yeah, I've watched it. According to him parkour is improved compared to first game, so I'm up for it. plus level design is very good in his opinion. Even playing Cyberpunk I can see I really like FPP parkour, it really works very well with big city open world.Just curious about performance, my PC is low end.
Storywise...Listen I've seen one trailer with some big goofy giant mf holding axe-like weapon. After that not expecting too much.

he makes it 100% clear that those are only his own opinions and nothing more
Well, that's the definition of "review". The difficult part, since we're all using reviews as a guide to buy or not games way more than from a critique perspective, is finding someone who is extremely capable at their job and more important has very similar tastes to yours.

Well, that's the definition of "review". The difficult part, since we're all using reviews as a guide to buy or not games way more than from a critique perspective, is finding someone who is extremely capable at their job and more important has very similar tastes to yours.
I don't think we all use reviews to buy games. Reviews are often misleading, no matter movie, game. Plus, with games, it's very easy to just watch some streams and make decision about buy.

I don't think we all use reviews to buy games. Reviews are often misleading, no matter movie, game. Plus, with games, it's very easy to just watch some streams and make decision about buy.

Reviews are just one tool in the toolbox. If any is going to use it, I recommend finding a reviewer that shares the same taste give or take, not a plethora of different reviewers that slaps a number out of ten from let's say, IGN. Those, in my opinion, are useless especially given how forgiven they can be pre-launch for all the reasons that we know.

That's all I'm saying and we seem to agree on this.

I don't use only reviews to decide, I mainly use uncut gameplay videos, I just use reviews to have a confirmation and for things I can't foresee without spoiling too much. Apart from that, I can't really see a purpose of reviews (except the critique per se, of which frankly I couldn't care less).
Reviews are just one tool in the toolbox. If any is going to use it, I recommend finding a reviewer that shares the same taste give or take, not a plethora of different reviewers that slaps a number out of ten from let's say, IGN. Those, in my opinion, are useless especially given how forgiven they can be pre-launch for all the reasons that we know.

That's all I'm saying and we seem to agree on this.
I don't care about numbers, but I think there's a big value in reading multiple opinions. While I value most the opinion of someone who has similar tastes to mine, they may be wrong, and the only way to understand it (except for playing the game, ofc) is reading as many opinions as possible. For example, let's say skill up is my favourite guy. I agree with him about cp77 and all Ubisoft games. I don't like destiny, he loves it, I know it and it's fine. But then he reviews the last of us part 2. If I had listened to him, I wouldn't have bought the game. I actually played it and loved it. Just an example.

For me streams are really the best, no way to cut "something" and I don't even need comments from the streamers (I don't care, as much as other reviews...). I just watch and make my own opinion (maybe not watch too much to avoid spoiler...) :)

Like for DL2, I'll watch Cohh Stream (replay) when I'll have time (already 18 episod on YT...). It will be better than all the reviews.

Last edited:
I don't use only reviews to decide, I mainly use uncut gameplay videos, I just use reviews to have a confirmation and for things I can't foresee without spoiling too much. Apart from that, I can't really see a purpose of reviews (except the critique per se, of which frankly I couldn't care less).
I don't really think that reviews are really that helpful, they often are linked to revenue website got from advertisement. More you pay for advertisement more favourable review will be. That's how it works not only with games.
That's why often american reviews will favour american games etc. Worst thing is when site is directly linked to big publisher like Sony for example...

I don't really think that reviews are really that helpful, they often are linked to revenue website got from advertisement. More you pay for advertisement more favourable review will be. That's how it works not only with games.
That's why often american reviews will favour american games etc. Worst thing is when site is directly linked to big publisher like Sony for example...
I don't think that's that easy and it applies (if not more) to any youtuber/streamer.

Anyway, reliable or not, reviews saved me many times from bad purchases (like dying light 2) and I'm happy with that. They also led me to wrong purchases (cyberpunk) but it's way less frequent and also my fault because I was so hyped I couldn't wait for some uncut gameplay.

I don't care about numbers, but I think there's a big value in reading multiple opinions. While I value most the opinion of someone who has similar tastes to mine, they may be wrong, and the only way to understand it (except for playing the game, ofc) is reading as many opinions as possible. For example, let's say skill up is my favourite guy. I agree with him about cp77 and all Ubisoft games. I don't like destiny, he loves it, I know it and it's fine. But then he reviews the last of us part 2. If I had listened to him, I wouldn't have bought the game. I actually played it and loved it. Just an example.

We just don't listen to reviews the same way then. I don't buy Destiny even if he likes it because I know from experience that I don't like this genre.

I will play TLOU2 at one point because I like story driven narratives, even if he did not recommend it.

It is not to find one reviewer and buy everything they like or nothing they don't like, obviously. You take their argument and contrast them with your tastes and past experiences.

But the points he makes are usually precise and well-defined, as oppose to the IGN "too much water".

Again, do not just blindly buy from one person's opinion, well, unless money is less of a concern. I personally don't mind paying 60$ and sometime realising it's not my jam. I rarely do it anyways, but when it happens, no biggy (unless if I fell that I have been sold a lemon).

I don't think that's that easy and it applies (if not more) to any youtuber/streamer.

Anyway, reliable or not, reviews saved me many times from bad purchases (like dying light 2) and I'm happy with that. They also led me to wrong purchases (cyberpunk) but it's way less frequent and also my fault because I was so hyped I couldn't wait for some uncut gameplay.
I will play TLOU2 at one point because I like story driven narratives, even if he did not recommend it.
I agree completely with this. I normally won't buy something until it has been out for a while and there are a range of both player and professional reviews. There's no direct correlation between one or the other for me. It's just ways of analyzing if I will enjoy it. And there are plenty of games that get rave reviews across the board that I can't stand...and there are games that get dumped on across the board that I absolutely love.

Rainbow Six Extraction is the most recent. Everything is supremely "meh to terrible" in the reviews. I've been having a fantastic time with it. Really enjoyable. By comparison, pretty much everyone I know loves Hollow Knight. Can't stand it. Twitchy and much too arcade-like for me.

In the end, the point of reviews is not to read players' minds and pre-determine if they're going to like or dislike something -- it's to give both objective and subjective feedback to help players make up their own minds. If I find a source for reviews that I seem to disagree with on a regular basis, I just don't go back there.

And anyone who buys anything sight-unseen is not guaranteed a single thing. Again, I'll only ever pre-order something if I'm 100% sure I want to play it myself, regardless of whether I wind up liking it or not.

That being said, I'm definitely keeping an eye on DL2. I haven't finished the first one yet, but it's a really interesting game.

1.jpg

180 k players right now, really nice release for Techland. I told you that reviews here doesn't really matter, just like when first part was released.

Edit: 222 k right now...
2.jpg

Last edited:
Game's menu theme reminded me of Judy's theme. Other than that pretty fun game, lots of running and jumping around.

It's cool. As expected the parkour is great, the story isn't original but it works. Reminds me of Cyberpunk 2077. Both V and Aiden seemingly deal with a terminal condition.

Progression is a bit slow. 15h in and i still don't have a UV lantern.. makes dealing with volatiles pretty much impossible, granted i haven't run into any barr the times i went looking. Which is rather odd seeing as in the first they were everywhere come nighttime. So far, i'm really enjoying my time with it but i'm not blown away.

So yesterday, something happened that never happens. I had the house to myself and absolutely nothing important to do and I did something I haven't done in over a decade - game all day.

I wanted something new to do so though, ended up buying DL2.

I must say, it is fun. It is just plain fun. The parkour is as good as it gets, the game looks gorgeous, the atmosphere is great, combat flows very well and level design is inspired. It all coalesces into one of the most compelling zombie survival game out there. The narrative is the game's weakest point but I frankly didn't expect any differently, it was the first game's weakest point too but I also think that it's already better than the first game's. Granted I'm only 6.5 hours in, that might change.

Plus it runs beautifully. I've had a few graphical and audio oddities but they all disappeared quickly. Overall I am very happy with my purchase. A good start to February's stuffed schedule.

TL: DR - If you liked the first DL, you'll like this one. It's an improvement on every front.

I envy you guys who play DL2 already, cos I still haven't been able to get my hands on PS5. :cry:

@Sild
Hey, I'm glad to see you again here, and thank you for the review.
One question from me: How scary is night play? IIRC about five years or so ago, some dev of Techland said that the previous game was too scary at night, so this time would be less scary, and in fact, some of the pre-release reviews (like IGN) said that lurking at night was not as scary as the previous one. Personally, I'm disappointed if that's true, and I'm already not looking forward to that part of the game, but I'd be happy to know what you think.

Top Bottom