E3 2018 demo/Deep dive video vs Final version (only PC version): are the differences so big?

+
For me the most important factor is that so far for all the games I have played, the Night City is the first big city that actually feels like one. Way I see pedestrians is way I see people when I visit major cities IRL and that also goes for interactivity, say I visit our capitol quite often. If some stranger tries to make conversation in 90% of cases they either want to bum something or sell something, we have this fuck off attitude for a reason.

For recent comparable games I have only played the Outer Worlds and Wasteland 3 and those cities are much smaller and static. I don't know what it is that people are expecting here exactly.

EDIT: There is a problem though. They don't appear to react car horn.

I think people expected an Elder Scrolls level of AI routine, where everyone has a scripted sequence of events that they must go through every day, but that's just unrealistic and CDPR never implied such a thing, I don't understand where this disconnect comes from since I was following the hype from the very beginning and was unaware of such a claim.

I do agree, purely from a visual standpoint Night City immerses me more than any other game world, my brain is being tricked into believing that it's exploring a believable urban environment populated by millions of people.

But the pedestrian AI and traffic AI have major issues that need to be addressed.

I think people expected an Elder Scrolls level of AI routine, where everyone has a scripted sequence of events that they must go through every day, but that's just unrealistic and CDPR never implied such a thing, I don't understand where this disconnect comes from since I was following the hype from the very beginning and was unaware of such a claim.

I do agree, purely from a visual standpoint Night City immerses me more than any other game world, my brain is being tricked into believing that it's exploring a believable urban environment populated by millions of people.

But the pedestrian AI and traffic AI have major issues that need to be addressed.
I see I was on the something then. Yeah, I just don't see that is possible with scripting with all the pedestrians we have in game. It's difficult to for me to find reference points, Elder Scrolls, Skyrim I see them mentioned but I never played them and they don't look like interesting titles for me.

What I hope CDRP improved is that pedestrians would react to car horn and even slow moving vehicles on sidewalks because often they just ignore player vehicle entirely which makes driving out from more creative parking space solutions frustrating. I don't know, rest of the issues I saw were glitches, cars stockpiled in Badlands, some NPC standing in middle of traffic at City Center, things that clearly weren't intended.

I remembered this game I got from sale and played for a while the Watchdogs. But I really can't say I feel Night City is anyways worse than Chicago in that game. Though I find it surprisingly difficult to compare 3rd person perspective game to CP 2077's first perspective and even more difficult to figure out what else pedestrians should do to enhance my experience in game.

For interactions, like when V starts taking gangers down, they panic and flee or freeze, it looks like real world to me but then I recall seeing some video where they were stuck in weird place or something. I never paid attention to that. Something I don't want is that people who V manages to save on some NCDP mission tell V their life stories. For most part they present ordinary Jane and Joe. I found them thanking V quite often but running for their lives is perfectly realistic too.

Last edited:
Gym equipment hacking is in game. Video from youtube: Cyberpunk 2077 | Do you even cyber lift bro - YouTube
I've noticed that benches can be hacked, but I never tried it on someone who is using it; I didn't want to be an asshole. 😅 😅

Though, from the looks of it, nobody seems to react to it, aside from the bench-presser getting crushed. That would've been interesting if people could react, like they go "Hey what the fuck?" and if they find out you did it, a fight occurs.

I've noticed that benches can be hacked, but I never tried it on someone who is using it; I didn't want to be an asshole. 😅 😅

Though, from the looks of it, nobody seems to react to it, aside from the bench-presser getting crushed. That would've been interesting if people could react, like they go "Hey what the fuck?" and if they find out you did it, a fight occurs.
Think there are very few occasions where this can be done. There might be opportunity in Pacifica abandoned mall but I think where I used this was instead at some garage like space. Mall would be my go to place to test if enemy faction reacts to that. It's a bit frustrating though as I think opportunity is there only during VooDoo Boys mission and you need to stealth. Would be interesting though, because training bot in the ring was there too.

- Runs very well on last gen consoles (source NOT needed)​

What? Who said that? Only thing I hear was "running surprisingly well" and it does exactly this.

- The game will launch when it's ready (source NOT needed)​

Normal thing to say for devs, not sure how to comment this...

Come on man. Don't do that.

You know good on well...

This entire thread is so pointless.

So because the developers didn't mention a specific issue, then we can't expect it to work?

"The developers never said water would splash when you drive an entire car into it!"

No, they never specifically mentioned that water in this game would lack physics. But when I buy a game and that game features bodies of water I automatically assume that water reacts like you expect water to react.

Imagine buying a racing game that looks fantastic in the previews, but when you start it up the cars only go left, not right. "We never stated that cars would go both left and right!". It's the same problem in Cyberpunk 2077. So many things that you automatically assume should be there are missing, on top of all the things they mentioned in their preview videos.

Also, sure, they might have mentioned that cars would not be modifiable, that voices were gone, that we can't buy apartments etc. You'd know that if you scoured the internet for all interviews and previews and news items and so on and so forth. Did I know this before I bought the game? No. I saw an early video and maybe two or three previews after that so I missed that half the game had been cut. Imagine my surprise.

Point is, Cyberpunk 2077 lacks a lot of baseline features that shouldn't have to be mentioned for them to be there.

Guest 4519094

I don't understand where this disconnect comes from since I was following the hype from the very beginning and was unaware of such a claim.

among other overtly nefarious activities, a group of people started "hyping" the game 6 months before the September release date with the craziest "hype promises", like being able to romance every single NPC in the game or running all kind of businesses like a sim game.

Couple posts deleted. Couple others edited. Please do not get into personal squabbles about the quality of other users posts. All it does is derail threads.

I think people expected an Elder Scrolls level of AI routine, where everyone has a scripted sequence of events that they must go through every day, but that's just unrealistic and CDPR never implied such a thing, I don't understand where this disconnect comes from since I was following the hype from the very beginning and was unaware of such a claim

I wasn't on the hype-train for this game, but I think things likely come from the promo video where they introduced the day night cycle.

They effuse about their crowd and community systems making the most believable city in any open world game. And they say the NPC all live out their lives in a full day night cycle.

I think being as charitable as possible you might say that the NPCs live out their lives in a day night weather cycle. And the crowd dynamics probably do spawn slightly different numbers of NPCs based on time of day. But the impression given was of a much more impressive system.

*The weather system is dynamic, and the ''threat to your survival'' nonsense is media fabrication based on an out of context interview.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/9-features-that-didnt-make-it-to-the-final-version-of-cyberpunk-2077/

''In a 2019 interview, UI coordinator Alivn Liu talked about Cyberpunk's weather system, confirming it would have dynamic weather. "We've got acid rain as well," he said. "Night City is a very polluted city and we're also exploring that kind of stuff, pollution and global warming and everything." ''

The guy never said it would affect the player or be a survival issue at all, ever.

The problem isn't that there's acid rain, but the fact that the NPCs don't react to any weather like the used to in The Witcher 3.

Based on their 2020 investor's report they're suggesting that the NPC AI is considered a bug to be fixed, so we'll see.

*Each lifepath gives you a different prologue that later influence the dialogue options with the main NPC's in the game based on said lifepath.

The most popular one is The Pickup.

https://onemoregame.ph/cyberpunk-2077-lifepath-changes-quest-conditions/

But let's go back to the interview:

As far as I'm aware that's all present in the game, as for the rest as nice as it sounds to have a branching quest chain based on life path's that's exclusive to every character is just wishful thinking, I'm guilty of this as well, they never actually advertised anything else more than dialogue options that open up certain small details based on the lifepath flavor.

*As for the NPC Ai routine it's there, but it was misconstrued from what they said, it's vague enough for people to take anything out of it.

''We've greatly enhanced our crowd and community systems to create the most believable city to date.''

''“While there are some areas in The Witcher 3 where villagers don’t have a daily routine, they are planing to improve this with giving more than a thousand NPCs a handmade routine.''

They either lied. or they tried to do it and got as far as having a few of the main NPC's having a daily routine (The Aldecaldos) and gave unique random AI routines based on specific time of day for pedestrian NPC's.

When the AI routine works it's brilliant, people were sitting down chatting, smoking, drinking, using their note pads, arguing all naturally going from one activity to another.

All the activities present for random pedestrians seem to be affected by the day and night cycles.

Take of this what you will, but I'm just as disappointed by the pedestrian AI as the next Joe.

Kudos to well constructed arguments;
i stand corrected! i never expected the list itself to be incorrectly summarized by the author himself;
indeed going through what you've posted, the list itself is false and some points were blown out of proportions!

They effuse about their crowd and community systems making the most believable city in any open world game. And they say the NPC all live out their lives in a full day night cycle.

I think being as charitable as possible you might say that the NPCs live out their lives in a day night weather cycle. And the crowd dynamics probably do spawn slightly different numbers of NPCs based on time of day. But the impression given was of a much more impressive system.

Yeah I understand, as I touched on it before in my previous post it can be interpreted as anything really, what I realistically expected was an improved system from The Witcher 3 which they touted by saying that they improved their own comunity systems.

Believe me I get it, but since when did we started taking marketing jargon as gospel...
Post automatically merged:

Kudos to well constructed arguments;
i stand corrected! i never expected the list itself to be incorrectly summarized by the author himself;
indeed going through what you've posted, the list itself is false and some points were blown out of proportions!

I apologize if I came off as unreasonable or unnecessarily obtuse with my posts towards you, that was not my intention, and the meme in the first post I mostly used as a funny jab than anything else I did not mean to offend.

And I appreciate the fact that you took the time to respond at all, thank you :).

This is my problem with the narrative surround Cyberpunk, it's way overblown all based on reddit, heck the media articles defaming the game are based on reddit posts, it's getting cringe levels of ridiculousness.

It's an effect of this whole pandemic on us, I'm just as bored as anyone else hence why I'm here arguing and at no point I will stand and defend CDPR for a majorly missed opportunity and misleading tactics when they launched Cyberpunk.

The problem is, exaggerating the issues does no one any service, not us, not the company nor the media (which has been out of touch for a while now so no big loss there :D).

Cheers bud, no hard feelings :).

Last edited:

Come on man. Don't do that.

You know good on well...
Where does he say it runs very well? I looked it again and didn't find any.

This entire thread is so pointless.

So because the developers didn't mention a specific issue, then we can't expect it to work?

"The developers never said water would splash when you drive an entire car into it!"

No, they never specifically mentioned that water in this game would lack physics. But when I buy a game and that game features bodies of water I automatically assume that water reacts like you expect water to react.

Imagine buying a racing game that looks fantastic in the previews, but when you start it up the cars only go left, not right. "We never stated that cars would go both left and right!". It's the same problem in Cyberpunk 2077. So many things that you automatically assume should be there are missing, on top of all the things they mentioned in their preview videos.

Also, sure, they might have mentioned that cars would not be modifiable, that voices were gone, that we can't buy apartments etc. You'd know that if you scoured the internet for all interviews and previews and news items and so on and so forth. Did I know this before I bought the game? No. I saw an early video and maybe two or three previews after that so I missed that half the game had been cut. Imagine my surprise.

Point is, Cyberpunk 2077 lacks a lot of baseline features that shouldn't have to be mentioned for them to be there.
Yeah, very important feature => water effects.

Nah, it's not important.

If you haven't noticed we are actually exploring features in detail and there is a **** storm out there on CDPR that have no base, at least on the pc version.

I wasn't on the hype-train for this game, but I think things likely come from the promo video where they introduced the day night cycle.

It's definitely the most believable city i have seen in any game.

Again, the NPC have routines. Did you actually think that every single NPC in such big city will have an apartment they can go to and sleep at night? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Guest 4519094

to all those in here being constructive, thanks
no idea how you keep being so patient :D

and as some physicist once said
"anything can be interesting given you look at it hard enough"

It's definitely the most believable city i have seen in any game.

Again, the NPC have routines. Did you actually think that every single NPC in such big city will have an apartment they can go to and sleep at night? :ROFLMAO:

It's a very believable city, as long as you look and don't touch. The instant you try to interact with anything other than the few scripted events CDPR wants you to, the believability comes crashing down and you see NC for what it is: A static but beautiful moving painting that is designed for the player to admire but not really be a part of.
Post automatically merged:

Of course not, but I would expect SOME of them to. Follow any random NPC around...it's 100% certain they will not go into a dwelling, or do anything other than walk, sit, or use a phone or tablet.

Top Bottom