E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured from the start that this would be more or less CyberWitcher

As did I. Not so surprisingly, that was also the first thing I hoped the game wouldn't become (too reminiscent of how Bethesda transitioned from Oblivion to Fallout 3), that CDPR would have the balls and ambition to spread their wings a bit wider than that. In some sense they - really - have, but also in a lot of others, they really haven't.

Nice article from GamePressure, if a bit negative-sounding for my taste (not that I should care, I'm not one of the devs :shrug:). What I like about it is that it takes a more cold-headed look at some aspects of the game shown so far, compared to other articles.

[...]I do not expect it to be possible to take out a gun and start a slaughter of innocent residents in the middle of the street, just as many of us, home-grown psychopaths, did in GTA to play cat and mouse with the police.

I am convinced of such "non-interactivity" of Night City residents by, for example, how they behave when a player accidentally knocks them down on the sidewalk. In fact, virtual people make the impression of icebergs in such random events. They don't lose their balance or even throw insults at the hero – they simply move V as a cube of physics, walking further in their own direction.

Usually I don't like playing the psycho-randomly-firing-at-the-crowd type in videogames unless it's one as funnily stupid and stupidly fun as Just Cause and still I usually target foes, not pedestrians. That being said, it would be very dissapointing if the players weren't able to pull their weapons out at will in the street. There should be consequences, obviously, considering how the people of Night City's different districts deal with threats of violence—either running from it or responding to it the same way—but no reaction at all sounds like an oversight from the devs.

It does make a bit of sense that people in places like Pacifica might be desensitized to violence around them, depending on who's attacking who. However, some of them should at the very least verbally react to it, not just stand there ("like a donkey on a boat", as we say in my country :LOL:). Even regular NPCs in The Witcher 3 had better reactions to violence.

Sounds like there's still work to be done there. Chop chop, CDPR!

On the other hand, the developer has announced that the game will include a "search system". This would suggest that there is, however, the possibility of committing crimes and attracting the attention of law enforcement. It sounds promising, but in fact it does not have to be a more complex mechanism than the one from Witcher 3, in which guards simply threw themselves with bare swords at Geralt, if he stole a sweet roll in front of their eyes. This is likely to be the case if CDPR have ruled out the option of surrendering to law enforcement and going to prison (or to a cyber-psychiatric institution for braindance therapy). In short, for the time being we are not able to say how much of the living world Cyberpunk 2077 we will actually see.

I do believe it should be a bit more developed feature than it was in TW3. There's no need to go full psycho to get the law's or the gangs' attention but any enforcing/protecting group should be aware of the players' actions if it affects them or their protected NPCs. And, of course, react accordingly: not with bazookas if the players steal an apple from a street vendor, not with sticks if the players mow down a group of thugs with a gatling gun.

By the way, if the devs did confirm that the players can't go to jail or anything like that, how would law enforcement work? Would security forces always try to kill the players? Would they send them to a lifetime imprisonment if not killed (basically a game over state when captured)?

The construction of the virtual world is combined with the issue I had a problem with in The Wild Hunt – the rigid assignment of levels to opponents, locations and tasks.

I don't have a problem with that. The alternative—level scaling—is not of my liking in most scenarios, unless my character is way overleveled, but if it were to be implemented in the final version of the game I hope it's optional, like in TW3.

The same with quest scaling: I don't mind having some of them being appropiately gatekept. Not all edgerunners have automatic access to every place and every important person in the city.

Fortunately, knowing the art values of CD Projekt Red, we don't have to worry that gaining experience while performing side tasks will turn out to be some unpleasant duty – even if we haven't seen any such activity yet.

As long as the game on a whole is fairly balanced I don't mind if certain quests reward me with little XP, I just don't want them to be boring or unremarkable.

XP gains are rarely memorable but stories usually stay with you.

The fact that Cyberpunk is not a Deus Ex can also be seen in fights against bosses. It seems that they have to be defeated even by players who don't like to use any type of force - only after the opponent's health bar is reduced to zero we may decide whether or not to spare his life.

I don't recall the devs saying they wanted to, for instance, introduce social battles with bosses, like the ones on Deus Ex, so that's not a fair comparison. Not that I wouldn't want them in the game, mind you, they could add another layer of interesting gameplay to CP2077, but I was never expecting them either.

Also, be aware of the scale of this project. Deus Ex didn't even stand close to the sandbox, so Eidos Montreal could afford to be much more meticulous in designing quests and locations. Six-district Night City is a much more difficult area to develop than a piece of Prague presented in Mankind Divided.

Yep. We always have to keep in mind this: Night City is not Prague nor Golem City. Cyberpunk 2077 is not Deus Ex. Cyberpunk 2077 is not [insert your favorite RPG here].

That being said, I do hope there are some locations, in the "real world" or the Net, as elaborate as the ones in the Deus Ex games but adapted to CP2077's gameplay.

Based on what I have written so far, you may have had the impression that the purpose of this text is to discredit Cyberpunk and to sow the seeds of doubt. I want to assure you that this is not my intention. If it were otherwise, I'd be dwelling on issues such as poorly-looking driving model, poor optimization, debatable AI of opponents or flawed physics of the ragdoll system – that's what we already pointed out in the previous announcements of the game, and what in all likelihood will be improved until next year.

It's good feedback for the devs but it's just harsh-sounding, like listening to a bitter teacher. We all want the devs to make the best game they can but there's no need to "scold" them, so to speak :LOL: But, of course, there's no obligation to treat them like delicate flowers, either :p

I only hope that character development will be more interesting than in The Witcher 3, where the effect gained from every level advancement often ended in boring addition of small enhancements (like +2% to rapid attack damage).

I fully agree. Those specific skill gains in TW3 were bull :facepalm: Sadly, I read somewhere that those type of "skills" exists in CP2007's current skill tree.

Please CDPR, make CP2077's skill tree more interesting than that!

In Cyberpunk you may choose your character past, which has an impact on the game's starting point (did anyone in the room just shout Dragon Age: Origins?). The dialogue options and set of abilities are dependent on this decision (your past).

[T]he presentation of dialogues. There is still no distinction between cut-scenes and actual gameplay as in most games – both are smoothly combined together.

These things I love. The last one feels like a Half-Life approach to gameplay, which I find very pleasing :ok:

[T]he character moves on the battlefield quite slowly, when he or she does not sprint

Probably because they didn't have leg-enhancing cyberware.

Alternatively, I could still express my doubts about hand-to-hand combat and the use of melee weapons.

Combat, either melee or with guns, might be the most common complain we'll hear from people, even after release. That being said, what I've seen so far (the 2018 demo) seems not mindblowing but still great to me :ok:

At any rate, PAX West can't come soon enough! :cool:

Last edited:
My enthusiasm as a whole has not been destroyed or significantly dampened. There are things I'm disappointed or concerned about, but I'm still quite happy to wait for more information before making any judgements.

- we won't see the level system (quickly the menu but not the perks/skills if not a quick glance, few frames)

I think we will.

- we won't see inventory and loot system (if not a quick glance)

Loot system, maybe not. Inventory, I think so.

- we won't see the hammer's animations and not many melee animations in general

Disagree. Mind, I'm not disagreeing because I think they'll have overhauled all the melee animations or mechanics in the game -- but I think they will tweak like two animations between now and then specifically for the demo. They know people want to see melee, because we saw none of it last year (I don't count that Mantis Blade scene).

- AI will look better than when it was shown to the press (pre-recorded video, not live ofc) so enemies won't be stuck running into tables/walls

Yeah... Hope it's not just for demo purposes.

- V will fight only enemies who match his/her level

Yep. I'll be downloading a mod in the future that unlevels everything.

Assuming we even get mod tools. Who knows, maybe they'll say screw it. Who cares about modders, right? they only make your game better, after all. Certainly not worth ever releasing proper tools for, even a year after release. :sneaky:

- demo will be a little different in general, probably shorter (not too much)

Nah. Last one was the same length. I looked through previews and I didn't see any different between what they wrote and what we saw. A couple people here have said there was, but I've seen no evidence of it, minus the Gamescom differences.

Last edited:
I hope the in-game info will be more than enough to understand what's going on around us and that the book is more something for collectionists. Plus, it's coming 1 week later than the game itself...

P.S. goddamn, I just realised easter 2020 is april 12th, I will have a full week off, if only CP2077 was released on april 9th instead of 16th... :giveup::giveup::giveup:

My enthusiasm as a whole has not been destroyed or significantly dampened.

Neither is mine, if they were, I surely would've moved on already. I reeeeally want to like this game, explore the world and the character systems, unravel the narrative in inventive ways, and all that. It is Cyberpunk, afterall, and possibly the only way to get a cRPG take on it.

I have loads and loads of hopes and wishes and "fingers crossed" mentality, but I'm also very careful with what to expect. While certain things do indeed sound good, a good lot of the news from both E3's have also been less than flattering (to put it politely). Which way will the scale tilt in the end, is the big question.

I'm critical of what I think warrants criticism, sometimes overtly so, admittedly, and whilst I don't have disillusions that I'd have influence over the game, I think criticism is the best form of feedback during developement. Silent acceptance of what sounds to be fine, and loud voicing over what doesn't.

Nice -- pre-ordered the book. Actually, if it'll be sold in bookstores, perhaps I'll just go and buy one in person for the first time in a long time. It'd be nice to stop by a Barnes & Noble again, before the stores all close down entirely.

EDIT: Wait, April 21, 2020? Why is it coming out after the game's launch, and after those all-important first-week sales? My guess is it has a lot of 2077-specific information that they don't want to spoil. I was just fooled by an Amazon placeholder date.

Last edited:
Neither is mine, if they were, I surely would've moved on already. I reeeeally want to like this game, explore the world and the character systems, unravel the narrative in inventive ways, and all that. It is Cyberpunk, afterall, and possibly the only way to get a cRPG take on it.

I have loads and loads of hopes and wishes and "fingers crossed" mentality, but I'm also very careful with what to expect. While certain things do indeed sound good, a good lot of the news from both E3's have also been less than flattering (to put it politely). Which way will the scale tilt in the end, is the big question.

I'm critical of what I think warrants criticism, sometimes overtly so, admittedly, and whilst I don't have disillusions that I'd have influence over the game, I think criticism is the best form of feedback during developement. Silent acceptance of what sounds to be fine, and loud voicing over what doesn't.
Same here, with different feedback, but still... E3 was a serious turn off though, since the game seems to have every single thing I didn't like in TW3.

No offense but what did you expect? It's the same devs and Witcher 3 was very successful.

CDPR strives to reinvent themselves with every game, it's one of the reasons people love them so much. They don't just release Assassin's Creed: 5001234, but a truly new experience.

Thus, people were hoping some of the least-liked elements of TW3 (believe it or not, it's not just us hardcore forum fanatics that had issues with the game's progression systems) would be changed or scrapped in 2077. They were wrong.

Although, the actual skill/perk system does seem to be much better here. We will have to see it to know for sure that it isn't just a bunch of +X% bonuses (I'd prefer none of those, but some are OK), but at the very least it does seem to be much more varied. However, there's still levelled gear and stats-over-style (completely unrealistic and nonsensical for a Cyberpunk game) to contend with. Not to mention bullet sponges.

Same here, with different feedback, but still... E3 was a serious turn off though, since the game seems to have every single thing I didn't like in TW3.
What else you didn't like in The Witcher 3 that seems to be in Cyberpunk 2077? I know about levelling system and percentage for damage increase in skill system, but was there something else?

Nice article from GamePressure
RE that article, I loved it but have three quibbles.

However, I have some doubts concerning the game world as a real simulation of life, where each character performs various daily activities and has an artificial intelligence (like Kingdom Come: Deliverance). Many gamers may ask to what extent we are dealing only with puppets fixated on one action – with a break for the night, when there is a switch for the puppets in the night version. Having in mind the Witcher 3 with his looped dialogues between the nameless NPCs, I rather bet on the latter. Therefore, I do not expect it to be possible to take out a gun and start a slaughter of innocent residents in the middle of the street, just as many of us, home-grown psychopaths, did in GTA to play cat and mouse with the police.
The underlined part was contradicted in the article I linked above. You can shoot people, other than kids and essential NPCs. However there may be serious consequences to doing so as several articles have talked about a system where the powers that be in an area will come intervene if you start running amuck. The writer of this article even mentions it later in the article. Other than that though, I've always expected it to be kinda like TW3 for non story based NPCs. Maybe a few lines of dialogue, but not a ton.
I am convinced of such "non-interactivity" of Night City residents by, for example, how they behave when a player accidentally knocks them down on the sidewalk. In fact, virtual people make the impression of icebergs in such random events. They don't lose their balance or even throw insults at the hero – they simply move V as a cube of physics, walking further in their own direction. Maybe it's just a feature that's still waiting to be implemented? Or maybe it is also not a coincidence that such NPCs from the crowd never have a given level by their nameplates, unlike any gangsters, corporate soldiers or other characters who could potentially want to snoop out V's eyes?
I think crowd mechanics will be more interactive than what is described here. Again, probably very similar to TW3.

The male version of V was conceived as a hacker who has to rely on sneaking and manipulating the environment to achieve his goal – however that doesn't mean he's harmless. The female version of V is a continuation of the build from last year's gameplay, specialized in combat.
This is incorrect. Everyone else I've seen in reviews says this V was a strong solo, whereas the other one was a fast solo. Nit-picking, but come on bro.

Also I have one place where I agree it's a negative if it ends up too close to TW3 - levels for NPCs.
The construction of the virtual world is combined with the issue I had a problem with in The Wild Huntthe rigid assignment of levels to opponents, locations and tasks. Will the same solution be used in Cyberpunk 2077? Well, a lot indicates that – yes.
If it ends up that an random enemy 10 levels above is basically impossible to fight, where they one shot you and you have to hit them 100 times, then I dislike it.

If it just gives those enemies more improved stats, abilities and better gear, but it's still somewhat competitive and fun to try and fight them and come out on the other side, then I'm okay with it. Basically I really want levels to be soley a numerical representation of how much experience the NPC (or V herself) has. Neither NPCs nor V should become almighty because of how many levels they have relative to enemies. EDIT: Given that we've heard regarding a gang leader being level 45, if they gave us ... I dunno, 15 or 20 levels before enemies became too hard to fight for practical purposes, I could probably live with that.

On the plus side, it looks like there can be more levels between V and NPCs before they become ???/RedSkullsofDOOM depending on which game we're playing. V can see a TT medtech character that's 8 levels above her level in the 2018 demo. In TW3 I think NPCs become unknowable combat lords at six levels above Geralt's.

Then again ... balancing open world games is nigh-on-impossible, and frequently a hot mess regardless of the solution a game tries to come up with.

Last edited:
Basically I really want levels to be soley a numerical representation of how much experience the NPC (or V herself) has. Neither NPCs nor V should become almighty because of how many levels they have relative to other enemies.

This is precisely the system I've suggested before. Levels need not represent HP/Damage increases, but the overall power level of that enemy, taking into account their equipment, cyberware, and stats (skills included). The player doesn't even need a level at all, though they could have one I guess.

That would be far more complex from a design perspective, but CDPR has never struck me as a company that backs down from a challenge. Of course it's way too late for it to change now.

What else you didn't like in The Witcher 3 that seems to be in Cyberpunk 2077? I know about levelling system and percentage for damage increase in skill system, but was there something else?

I believe those are the two key things for @Mybrokenenglish, but gear rarity is another concern of theirs. And mine, for that matter. However, it does seem to have more a of a reason behind it in 2077 -- it seems like rarity ACTUALLY means rarity, as they've said (in one of the recent interviews in this thread, I believe) rarer equipment will be more scarce and won't even be sold to you unless you have certain Street Cred levels. That's way more thematic than "This bandit dropped a "Magic Axe" which is identical to the normal axe his buddy was wielding."

I've said it billions of times and I'm getting tired of this useless feedback, but since you're a very nice guy I'm happy to repeat myself. :)

I LOVE TW3, but it has few flaws here and there that ruined my experience and were fixed by mods, that happen not to be available on consoles, and I'm not leaving PS4's exclusives to switch to PC and mod a single game. Some may blame consoles, I """blame""" devs for not finding better alternatives.

The way I write is ruder than the way I think, so when I write "shit" you need to read it in a politer way: "that thing is shit" = "a little worse than suboptimal", a swedish ex-collegue of mine would have said. I know, I'm trying to improve and it's not even that much a linguistic barrier often, I do the same in my mother tongue. I'm not a guy who loves compromises: black or white. :shrug:

level system and "lazy" perks/skills were the main problems FOR ME together with loot system and combat system (not bad, but far from perfect). The fact that master witcher geralt of rivia, butcher of blavikhen, learns how to deflect arrows only late in his life and needs to "mentally equip" it otherwise he forgets how to do it, probably goes under "level system". Or equipping mutagens, same awful concept. The worst progression system design I've ever seen in an RPG, can't really think of a game I played that did worse at it (I don't play shitty games, so the pool is not huge). No offense to devs, but there's a looooooooooot of room for improvement. Just copy from other games which did better. As we say in chemistry: don't reinvent hot water.

Then it had other MINOR problems, but it's really details I'm looking at:
to name the first 2 things that come to my mind, you can accept high level quests early on in the game, but you need to wait till end game to do them (hattori's quest for example, you accept it at (say) level 10 and then he waits for you at the dock until you reach (say) level 26.

Regarding CP, they could've used better descriptors instead of epic/legendary, it's not like bards (or rockerboys?) are singing songs about the militech shotgun model 123X built in assembly lines at a 1000 pieces/day rate, and it costs 0 money to do so. Go for "military grade, prototype, unique weapon", easy peasy, more immersive, 0 PLN spent to do it.

Nothing that ruins the game completely, but those things break your immersion. You accept a mission, but first you need to check if your level is high enough. You go from watson (level 2 area) to pacifica (level 18 area) early in the game and realise you shouldn't leave your neighborhood since everybody is a bullet sponge for your bazooka but kill you with 1 slash of a switchblade. Or geralt and lvl 40 wild boars in novigrad's outskirts who were way stronger than the wild hunt itself. What will we have here, lvl 5 scavanger < lvl 15 max tac officer < lvl 25 scavenger < lvl 35 max tac officer? So it's good until you follow the events in a precise order, but as soon as you leave the rails, you're fucked (we don't know yet for sure, but all info push in that direction and CDPR refuses to comment on that).

Other companies have shown more effective alternatives, in particular if we consider that those are ideas, nothing that costs more to be achieved. Expensive things can be better animations for combat system (which is fair, but since they were a main issue in TW3, with the new bigger budget I expected CDPR to prioritize them, there's still time I KNOW) or for interaction with the world (dying light 1 is great for FPP contextual animations and techland is definetely not bigger or richer than CDPR, repeatable contextual animations are confirmed not to be in the game, though, and NO they don't make the game's pace slower, look at DL).

I expected CDPR to be a little braver than "let's copy TW3's mechanics and paste them in 2077", just fix those 2-3 problems TW3 had and you can make a masterpiece, almost flawless. No need to start a conversation about this again, CDPR's opinion is different and is fair this way. :)

Also, it's off topic. :)

EDIT: I've found a game witt a worse progression system: AC origins. It's a pure ubisoft-style copy paste from TW3, but 1) it's not supposed to be a fantasy game and 2) it has fucking remotely controlled arrows and a drone-eagle! Goddamn, ubisoft, always deeper in your shit.
It also has the same level gated gear and areas. "When you look for shit, look at ubisoft" - Socrates.

Last edited:
I believe those are the two key things for @Mybrokenenglish, but gear rarity is another concern of theirs. And mine, for that matter. However, it does seem to have more a of a reason behind it in 2077 -- it seems like rarity ACTUALLY means rarity, as they've said (in one of the recent interviews in this thread, I believe) rarer equipment will be more scarce and won't even be sold to you unless you have certain Street Cred levels. That's way more thematic than "This bandit dropped a "Magic Axe" which is identical to the normal axe his buddy was wielding."
I see. Well, in The Witcher 3 loot rarity system and economy system with it were utterly borked, because late into development devs felt like the map was still a little too empty, so they added a lot of pointless loot via bandit camps and treasure hunts. Hopefully this time around they are going to plan out the content better (they alluded to that in some of the interviews), so there won't be any need to do anything like that. For me bigger problem was definitely the economy, because rarity of the item is something that you quickly stop paying attention to, but weak balance of the economy hurts the atmosphere of the game, since you no longer felt like a witcher barely scraping by for a new equipment and instead you were getting so rich that 8000 orens that was offered by Foltest for taking down de Aldersberg back in The Witcher 1 started looking like a joke for Geralt from TW3. That's an element that I hope they really improve in Cyberpunk 2077 (the idea of selling different kind of items to different types of gangs sounds pretty interesting at least).

If it ends up that an random enemy 10 levels above is basically impossible to fight, where they one shot you and you have to hit them 100 times, then I dislike it.

If it just gives those enemies more improved stats, abilities and better gear, but it's still somewhat competitive and fun to try and fight them and come out on the other side, then I'm okay with it. Basically I really want levels to be soley a numerical representation of how much experience the NPC (or V herself) has. Neither NPCs nor V should become almighty because of how many levels they have relative to other enemies.

On the plus side, it looks like there can be more levels between V and NPCs before they become ???/RedSkullsofDOOM depending on which game we're playing. V can see a TT medtech character that's 8 levels above her level in the 2018 demo. In TW3 I think NPCs become unknowable combat lords at six levels above Geralt's.

Then again ... balancing open world games is nigh-on-impossible, and frequently a hot mess regardless of the solution a game tries to come up with.
Based on some impressions I read, it seems like Animals were around 10 levels higher then V, yet he/she was able to take them down without that much difficulty, so it seems like so far the system at least is much more lenient then in The Witcher 3. However I also need to note that red skull enemies, when they were six levels higher then Geralt, were still perfectly manageable, in fact they were pretty fun to fight. If the enemies at much higher experience level then V in Cyberpunk 2077 would pose similar challenge, instead of becoming utterly unkillable, I would be perfectly satisfied with that.

But of course I agree that level should be only an indication of how much experience V or enemy have.

level system and "lazy" perks/skills were the main problems FOR ME together with loot system and combat system (not bad, but far from perfect). The fact that master witcher geralt of rivia, butcher of blavikhen, learns how to deflect arrows only late in his life and needs to "mentally equip" it otherwise he forgets how to do it, probably goes under "level system". Or equipping mutagens, same awful concept. The worst progression system design I've ever seen in an RPG, can't really think of a game I played that did worse at it (I don't play shitty games, so the pool is not huge). No offense to devs, but there's a looooooooooot of room for improvement. Just copy from other games which did better. As we say in chemistry: don't reinvent hot water.
They already made some huge improvements in comparison to that by (seemingly) removing the number of active skills restriction (which I also thought was really lame idea), having skills impact gameplay much more and replacing mutagens with cyberware, as well as daemons, which seems to make a real difference in character build.

to name the first 2 things that come to my mind, you can accept high level quests early on in the game, but you need to wait till end game to do them (hattori's quest for example, you accept it at (say) level 10 and then he waits for you at the dock until you reach (say) level 26.
I think that might be fixed by the division between Street Cred and EXP, so you won't be able to receive much more challenging sidequests unless your Street Cred is high enough.

However I also need to note that red skull enemies, when they were six levels higher then Geralt, were still perfectly manageable, in fact they were pretty fun to fight. If the enemies at much higher experience level then V in Cyberpunk 2077 would pose similar challenge, instead of becoming utterly unkillable, I would be perfectly satisfied with that.
Your right about at 6 levels. It was actually pretty fun there. 10 levels it became very difficult to the point of not very fun though. I remember I usually started playing Hearts of Stone around level 27 in TW3 (it's level 32 I think), and you come upon a level 36 Golem near the road at one point. Pretty rough on BBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom