E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, in the example I gave, it wouldn't be the level designers' fault. The fact is, I'm not the best platformer, and will often miss jumps in games that don't allow for corrections (Legend of Zelda series).

I'm trying to remember whether or not Kingdom Come: Deliverance had any mid-air movement, because if it didn't, I know I didn't mind it much in that game. Then again, most of the game takes place on the ground with ladders for getting up higher.
I haven't played any zelda or KCD, but all the TPP games I've played recently (except for from software games) are calibrated in a way that obstacles are placed just rightwith the distance of a jump (if a jump is 1 meter, the distance for jumps is never longer than 1 m) and they all use the magnetic effect so the animation starts even if you miss a little. Typical example I'm sure about: every recent assassin's creed, which is actually even too scripted, but parkour works just fine.
Regarding FPP, I haven't played any in months, but I remember titanfall 2 had a very functional platforming. I'd say that a magnetic effect in FPP works even better due to the FOV wich is extremely narrow compared with TPP, so it's easy to move your character in a weird way to the platform without you noticing it. I mean, geo data don't need to be perfect if you can't see more than your hands. I'm 100% I've seen it in some game, unfortunately I can't name any because i can't recall precisely. Probably mirrosr's edge from 2012.

Last edited:
https://cyfrowa.rp.pl/opinie/35131-wiceprezes-cd-projektu-pracujemy-nad-kolejna-duza-produkcja/amp
https://businessinsider.com.pl/tech...tegia-na-azje-cyberpunk-2077-wiedzmin/7gqggt0

Two interviews in polish, one with studio's CFO, Piotr Nielubowicz, and another with Business Development Director, Rafał Jaki. They mostly focus on just a general business side of things, though it does contains some summary of their presence at E3 2019, info about the approach toward Asian market and some of their plans, so I decided to post it.

Here's the most important info:

E3 Summary

- during E3 over 5000 articles were written about Cyberpunk 2077

- CP2077 received over 85 awards (which is 25 more then the last year) and the awards keep coming

- over 7000 people has visited their E3 booths

- this year's E3 was still just a beginning of their marketing campaign

Asian Market

- CDP have small offices in Tokio, Shanghai and Seul, which they use to communicate with the fans from those regions and also to gather the info about the expectations of the local gamers

- they found a fairly large success in Korea, Japan and Southeast Asia, which makes those very important markets for CDPR

- CD Projekt is especially happy with The Witcher 3 reception in Japan, where they sold over half a million of copies (for a game developed outside of Japan, that's a really impressive number and now with Nintendo Switch port, that number might grow even further). Apparently Japanese fans were very fond of Geralt due to seeing in him many similarities to ronin type of character (which is also what served as an inspiration for Geralt Ronin statue). The most challenging thing about Japanese market is the fact that some of their business partners don't communicate in English very well and despite them hiring an Japanese staff for their Tokio office, they are not always able to help with that

- in marketing for Asian markets, they emphasize the importance of paying attention to events, like Chinese New Year, and cultural aspects, such as large number of people of Japanese descent in Cyberpunk 2077

- currently they are working on localisation of Cyberpunk for those markets, with full voice over in Japanese and Mandarin, as well as text only translation in Korean, Thay and Cantonese. Apparently in terms of text, Cyberpunk 2077 will be bigger then the entire trilogy of Lord of The Rings

Other Stuff

- currently the number of preorders is much higher then it was for The Witcher 3 at the analogical period of time, however Piotr also notes that preorders always make a small percentage of overall sales, so they still put a lot of work into their marketing

- The Witcher series overall sold over 40 millions copies, with sligthly above half of that being The Witcher 3 alone

- currently on their next big production works a team of around 40 people

- they have two mobile projects in development, with one being mobile port of Gwent and another one being developed by studio Spokko, which will be based on one of their franchises

- they don't have any VR projects in development

[QUOTE Apparently in terms of text, Cyberpunk 2077 will be bigger then the entire trilogy of Lord of The Rings

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, strafing (or dodging) can be done also mid air, in the demo it's showed when V uses bullet time and double jumps, strafes forward and kills 2 enemies "on a bridge" with the shotgun, then powerslides and kill other 2 enemies.

I don't have any problem with that (as long as you need cyberware to do it), I have more problems with the full body control while mid air shown when the narrator says "fast and agile solo" at 43:30, that makes no sense. But hey, that's what we'll get. :shrug:

Could be due to mini rockets on the feet or steam coming out of the augmented legs that propulses the character. You can even hear a mechanical sound when she jumps.

https://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/CD...dsprzedazy-Cyberpunk-2077-prezes-7699919.html

„Adam Kiciński: Currently we are working on three things related to Cyberpunk 2077 , one of them is the main game. That makes three development teams (...) One of them, Wrocław one, is made up of 40 people."

Since it's been stated that team made of 40 people works on their next big production, I think it's an confirmation that the second AAA project released before 2021 will be Cyberpunk related.

https://www.bankier.pl/wiadomosc/CD...dsprzedazy-Cyberpunk-2077-prezes-7699919.html

„Adam Kiciński: Currently we are working on three things related to Cyberpunk 2077 , one of them is the main game. That makes three development teams (...) One of them, Wrocław one, is made up of 40 people."

Since it's been stated that team made of 40 people works on their next big production, I think it's an confirmation that the second AAA project released before 2021 will be Cyberpunk related.
I don't know, I'd say that the 3 things are: main game, expansion, multiplayer. Haven't read the article, though, can't speak polish.

CP2077
CP2077 multiplayer arena

CP20XX ”old school RPG” :ohstopit:

I would just find it lazy.
Doing indi games when you are a small company is normal, doing the same with a big company is kind of an insult for RPG players.

Nah, it’s not an insult if the game is good and works right.

They nade Gwent and Witcher adventure game too as ”curiosities” for the series. Something a bit more thsn a curiosity for CP might sell better.

Well, that's how I take when someone know they can do better (even if it's already good) but don't put the effort for it: lazy.
But anyway I won't go any further on such an hypothetical "What if?".

Yeah, no use in keeping this going.

But I will say this: Nothing actually good will ever happen, if the consensus is that AAA can’t sell with decent RPG mechanics because that’s not mainstream enough, but at the same time RPG fans also won’t buy a game unless it’s AAA because otherwise it’s lazy. See the dilemma?

CP2077
CP2077 multiplayer arena

CP20XX ”old school RPG” :ohstopit:
I wouldn't be surprised at all. Not excited if that's the case, but I can believe in a AA cRPG: less graphics = less budget, then it can be done.

I read somewhere else (and then decided to go for google translate on that polish website) that the studio in wraclow is actually working on CP multiplayer.

I don't know, I'd say that the 3 things are: main game, expansion, multiplayer. Haven't read the article, though, can't speak polish.

OK, the informations I read were in a bit of disarray, but that's what I managed to pick up from different sources.

The gameplay demo from E3 2019 is currently being shown to polish media outlets and CDP management talked with the journalists about their current plans, which is what sprouted this series of articles. This is what we got so far:

- CDPR currently have five projects in active development: Cyberpunk 2077 (duh), Cyberpunk multiplayer (developed by Wrocław studio, but they are not going to talk about any details regarding that, until main game release), another big Cyberpunk project (probably major expansion or spin off), mobile Gwent and Witcher mobile game by Spokko. Nintendo Switch port of The Witcher 3 most likely wasn't part of that list, due to being developed by third party

- they announced the partnership with Comic Book and Interactive Narrative Centre in city of Łódź, and as a part of that partnership they will develop a new Witcher game... of sort. It's going to be a sort of educational game in Witcher universe, in which as you progress through the stages of it, you will learn more details about game development. Ciri and Geralt will be acting as a guides in it

- they are very happy with positive reception of GOG Galaxy 2.0 in it's closed beta form from both the fans and the media outlets

- at Gamescom they will be showing the same gameplay as at E3, after that at Pax they will be streaming that gameplay for everyone to see

- in the beginning of the next year they are planning to have a playable hands-on preview version of the game for the media

- the game from this point on won't be going through any fundamental changes anymore, which means they will be focusing on polishing and balancing what they have

OK, the informations I read were in a bit of disarray, but that's what I managed to pick up from different sources.

The gameplay demo from E3 2019 is currently being shown to polish media outlets and CDP management talked with the journalists about their current plans, which is what sprouted this series of articles. This is what we got so far:

- CDPR currently have five projects in active development: Cyberpunk 2077 (duh), Cyberpunk multiplayer (developed by Wrocław studio, but they are not going to talk about any details regarding that, until main game release), another big Cyberpunk project (probably major expansion or spin off), mobile Gwent and Witcher mobile game by Spokko. Nintendo Switch port of The Witcher 3 most likely wasn't part of that list, due to being developed by third party

- they announced the partnership with Comic Book and Interactive Narrative Centre in city of Łódź, and as a part of that partnership they will develop a new Witcher game... of sort. It's going to be a sort of educational game in Witcher universe, in which as you progress through the stages of it, you will learn more details about game development. Ciri and Geralt will be acting as a guides in it

- they are very happy with positive reception of GOG Galaxy 2.0 in it's closed beta form from both the fans and the media outlets

- at Gamescom they will be showing the same gameplay as at E3, after that at Pax they will be streaming that gameplay for everyone to see

- in the beginning of the next year they are planning to have a playable hands-on preview version of the game for the media

- the game from this point on won't be going through any fundamental changes anymore, which means they will be focusing on polishing and balancing what they have
Thanks, Shavod, you're a godsend. I'm pretty sure I speak for all of us when I say it's very nice to have somebody here who not only understands Polish, but is passionate enough and helpful enough to post your translated impressions here for us dumb English/Spanish/Russian/etc. speakers.

No more ”subject to change” then.

Some topics fell out the perimiter for good.

Perhaps its ultimately for the better, though. Much less uncertainty in the air, much less speculation and guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom