E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers... sighs heavily

I guess I'll just have to stop reading anything at this point, shame... if only news outlets had the decency to tag spoilers appropriately.

Game Spot talks to Miles about getting Keanu to fill the role of Johnny Silverhand, the difference in scale to TW3's map design, and the changes from traditional quest structures. Your attributes (strength, cool, etc) can open unique dialogues.

Last edited:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...w-multiplayer-next-gen-and-working-with-keanu

One of the reasons a release next April feels surprisingly soon is it rules out a simultaneous launch on next-gen consoles - will that come later?

Sasko: Right now we're focusing on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One but obviously in the future we'd probably like to have Cyberpunk 2077 on the next platforms. But that's really a matter for the future, to be honest. Right now we're focusing on these.

CD Projekt has talked about multiplayer before. Now you have a release date set, can you confirm it will just be single-player at launch?

Sasko: Yes, 100 per cent. We're not really working on multiplayer, our sole focus is single-player. We'll do that, then we'll see. We're not saying no but we're not saying yes. If something does happen it will definitely be post-launch and that's as much as I can say right now.

And with that release date set, do you have a plan in place to mitigate crunch?

Sasko: The date is really adjusted to the production schedule, so when we disclosed the date, we were convinced we could do it. I think we're a bit further than some people think we are. It's still almost a year to work on it and we know how much we can do in a year when we're a pretty big team and a well-oiled machine. We're pretty comfortable we can deliver on this date and not kill ourselves.

It's a complex topic. We just love this project and we want to work on it. And if someone was to tell me to stop, or that I didn't need to do something, I'd say - I want to make this better. Am I supposed to agree to something that's worse? I won't. I fucking won't do it. I'll never do it. And the guys here? They'll say the same. We won't agree to release something that's crap. Ever.

No one's going to say it's crap. But there's a balance to that and working 100 hour weeks. 100 hour weeks are extreme. It's more about being clever and picking the right battles. There are things you can invest time in which are invisible to player, whereas there are small things you can do that are players will absolutely appreciate. [Crunch] is a huge mistake which this industry needs to better at, but it's a complex topic.

In the demo we saw various class options - do things play out differently, other characters treat you differently because of it, as well as just these unlocking extra dialogue options?

Sasko: In The Witcher 3 we put a branching storyline in an open world. With this, we put the branching storyline in an open world and added branching gameplay. So depending on the class you have, you can do different things. The character and build you have will influence the scenes. If you have an engineering background, you have certain knowledge which will be displayed in a different branch of the scene to the one you'd have normally. And that's a pretty normal thing - in basically every quest, there will be some spots where this happens, though it has to match the story. We make sure players are rewarded for their playstyle.

You mentioned you have a fluid class system - how fluid is it?

Sasko: We'll make sure, no matter the fucking weird build you have, you can always play. There's always a way to figure it out, there's always a way to finish it somehow. Of course, some branches may not be accessible but you can do it. It's a tough thing but a fun thing.

Last year I asked about visiting spaces outside the city, and at the end of this year's demo we got to see a glimpse into cyberspace. Is this what you guys were referring to?

Sasko: Cyberspace is a really dangerous place - as you saw in this year's demo, there were multiple netrunners you needed support from to get in there, you were lying in the bathtub full of ice because your body becomes a CPU and you need a lot of transferring power. So you access cyberspace in specific story moments and in some cases you can explore it.

But the game isn't only Night City. There's an area surrounding it, the Badlands. You can leave the city and explore, see what the world looks like outside the city and... it looks harsh outside the city. But you have quests there, contracts you can do, and you'll be sent there by the main story as well. And there are also a few other surprises...

Last edited:
Very informative interview by YongYea, lots of community questions asked, part about the cyberspace sounds super interesting:

I want to start collecting detailed info from these interviews at some point. Just right now, I think my faith in CDPR is restored, and the more I read and hear these interviews and journalist reports the more I believe in CP2077 again. There were these few days where I got some negative signals from things like levels and I got real worried. And of course, as I've written before, by withholding information you invite baseless assumptions. Anyway, for me CP2077 has returned to the "larger than life" status it was at.

As to the above interview by YongYea, I just noticed that here, the CDPR employee (didn't catch the name, sorry) referred to the 2018 video as "the prologue". I find this very interesting and tbh its what it looked like. It might as well be your very first hours in the game.

Absolutely great interview and thumbs up from me to YongYea.

I want to start collecting detailed info from these interviews at some point. Just right now, I think my faith in CDPR is restored, and the more I read and hear these interviews and journalist reports the more I believe in CP2077 again. There were these few days where I got some negative signals from things like levels and I got real worried. And of course, as I've written before, by withholding information you invite baseless assumptions. Anyway, for me CP2077 has returned to the "larger than life" status it was at.

As to the above interview by YongYea, I just noticed that here, the CDPR employee (didn't catch the name, sorry) referred to the 2018 video as "the prologue". I find this very interesting and tbh its what it looked like. It might as well be your very first hours in the game.

Absolutely great interview and thumbs up from me to YongYea.
Yeah, YongYea knocked it out of the park. He's not the best interviewer in terms of conversation and personality, but he's good at asking important questions, this time ones that many of us actually wanted to know.

Still need further clarification on the ways skills impact combat and weapon handling (if at all), and details regarding the level system and loot system. Beyond that, the vast majority of my questions have been answered, mostly good answers, too.
Post automatically merged:

Very detailed breakdown written by a user in our private Cyberpunk Discord.

https://www.spieltimes.com/featured...-detail-from-the-cyberpunk-2077-private-demo/

Last edited:
Very detailed breakdown written by a user in our private Cyberpunk Discord.

https://www.spieltimes.com/featured...-detail-from-the-cyberpunk-2077-private-demo/
  • Eventually, we manage to kill Sasquatch. V has the option of looting her hammer but chooses not to take it
So, this guy saw the demo on the second day. During the first day devs picked the hammer up and used it againt the boss: animations and hitboxes were awful, some said "unacceptable, worse than a 2009 indie game" (precisely zeno clash). During the second day devs decided not to show it anymore, as a second group of journalists from the same website confirmed. Not a surprise CDPR has just advertised 2 jobs as gameplay animators, as you can see in the red tracker, among the others.
Ah, yes, they also say that the sea is still clearly a placeholder since it looked incredibly bad when they saw it on the horizon from the top of a building. The rest of assets looked great on that monster-PC.

I have only a video about that, not in english and of course no subtitles.

So, guys, don't be surprised if we won't see the hammer in action at PAX west. Or maybe the miracle happens and CPDR fixes it in 2 months. Or they cut it out of the game. :shrug:

Last edited:
  • Eventually, we manage to kill Sasquatch. V has the option of looting her hammer but chooses not to take it
So, this guy saw the demo on the second day. During the first day devs picked the hammer up and used it againt the boss: animations and hitboxes were awful, some said "unacceptable, worse than a 2009 indie game" (precisely zeno clash). During the second day devs decided not to show it anymore, as a second group of journalists from the same website confirmed. Not a surprise CDPR has just advertised 2 jobs as gameplay animators, as you can see in the red tracker, among the others.
Ah, yes, they also say that the sea is still clearly a placeholder since it looked incredibly bad when they saw it on the horizon from the top of a building. The rest of assets looked great on that monster-PC.

I have only a video about that, not in english and of course no subtitles.

So, guys, don't be surprised if we won't see the hammer in action at PAX west. Or maybe the miracle happens and CPDR fixes it in 2 months. Or they cut it out of the game. :shrug:
That would be quite unfortunate. I was hoping the melee would be fun, as it was one of the builds I was most interested in trying out.

Hopefully they figure it out and at least make it serviceable.

By the way, any word from your journalist buddies yet?

That would be quite unfortunate. I was hoping the melee would be fun, as it was one of the builds I was most interested in trying out.

Hopefully they figure it out and at least make it serviceable.

By the way, any word from your journalist buddies yet?

Well, they probably have different set of animations for different melee weapons, so the mantis blades for example could be much more polished, and the nanowire from the demo which u can use also as melee weapon seems to be fine. But yeah they should cut some stuff probably, like the hammer and focus on more important weapons. Quality over quantity.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the public demo yet? Has anyone made a video about it? I heard they're showing two different demos at E3

• Throughout these scenes, Keanu Reeves’s character is constantly popping up as a hologram to give us advice and suggestions
I really hope he's not there to be a perpetual tutorial. I hated when Geralt told me what to do in TW3.

• Throughout these scenes, Keanu Reeves’s character is constantly popping up as a hologram to give us advice and suggestions
I really hope he's not there to be a perpetual tutorial. I hated when Geralt told me what to do in TW3.

I think it will be more grounded than that. Although I do worry that he'll get annoying. He's always in our head and pops up whenever he wants... that's going to make romance pretty awful.

Still need further clarification on the ways skills impact combat and weapon handling (if at all)
Miles Tost said they did. https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...077-at-e3-2019.11006239/page-26#post-11572450
Just skimming through the thread here after a long day of presentations and interviews, so please bear with me.

Guys, calm down, please. Enhancing your weapon skill through usage is still in and the increase in skill will affect your weapon handling. Currently, we're also planning for that to affect animations, meaning for example that you will see your character reloading more smoothly as you become better. Things like these might change however, you know how it is.

And before you go out and wonder, if this system might not decrease your ability to freely switch to new weapon types: we are aware and are looking at different possibilities for catch-up mechanics. This game is about enabling you to do the things you want to do, and not taking those possibilities away by locking you in.

Hope that clears things up a bit. Always be nice to each other.

The Voodoo boys remind me a lot of the Haitians (Iirc?) in William Gibson's novel Count Zero. In the novel they seemed to revere mysterious beings that dwell deep in cyberspace, that they called "Loas". I always got the impression that a Loa was a highly advanced rogue AI.

Yerp. Or a gestalt AI.

There is a LOT of Neuromancer ( and the Sprawl series) in 2020. Night City is where the story starts, for example. Russian prosthetics, Street solos and Corporate Solos, Crystal Palace, etc. And of course all the cyber and bioware. Monoweapons. Lots and lots and lots of influences.

2020 or 2077?

Well, one leads directly to the other.

So far in 2077 we've seen monowire, Russians with prosthetics, Street and Corp Solos, lots of cyberware ( Molly from Neuromancer sports an early version of V's HUD), a digital consciousness and of course Night City.

So, yeah.

Both. And lots more to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom