E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
the problem is that journalists say that this time shooting looked worse than the old one. The old one had a very good looking shooting, not perfect, but I'd be very happy with that.
The question is how much the difference in impressions stems from the fact that in the newest demo they were showing a very different combat character build then the last year. Previously they were showcasing Fast Solo type of character, which relied heavily on mobility and aggressive playstyle, in comparison to Strong Solo build they show this year, which sounded much more static, since he's able to soak some damage and takes enemies down without much in the way of finesse. That could be the reason why the gunplay impressed them much less then in the last year's demo. Plus it's definitely far from consensus on the quality of gunplay in the last demo, since I read varying opinions, including ones that stated gunplay looked pretty good. The same kind of varying opinions seems to be on driving as well, with some outlets calling it stiff, while other claiming it looked great.

All in all, I think this kind of combat, relying on different skills, tools and the way you build character definitely is something that feels much better when you play it on your own, then when you watch it. It sounds like all the right ingredients for a good action RPG style combat are all there, now they only needs to polish it all around the edges (so things like animations, the way character stats impact the gameplay and AI).

Its impossible to tell if combat is good from watching videos, need to play the game. The only thing I noticed in the previous year demo damage numbers appeared delayed from firing - if this is still the case it would make gun-play look bad.

Not sure: Did you see dodges? How is it managed in a FPP view (like for avoiding to be blocked by the out of screen scenery during it) ?
Games like Dying Light did that fairly well in first person and it's not like getting blocked by out of sight objects while dodging is exclusive to FPP productions. In the games with third person view that might be also a common occurence if you don't pay enough attention to your surroundings. It was less of a problem in The Witcher 3, because in combat the camera was moving further away from Geralt, giving you a better look at the area around you, but at the same time many people disliked that solution.

It's just an assumption based on pretty widespread reports from both "lul GAME JURNALIZTZ" and actual gamers, who happen to also be youtubers

It is often the case with RPG’s, that if the mainstream is vary of it, it’s better. Not in terms of fluidity, realism or animations - necessarily - but in terms of how it feels to play if you set yourself up to play an RPG instead of a combat game.

I think they shouldn’t sweat about it, if they can’t get it shootery enough (both, in terms of presentation - considering animations and stuff - and mechanics). Rather boldly push it towards the other direction and polish it that way; commit to doing it well one way rather than try to forcefully mix two opposite schools of design in hopes to get something good out of it for both. Say: ”This is not a shooter, so that’s not how it works, and that’s intentional. Combat here requires a different kind of approach from regular FPS games.

Games like Dying Light did that fairly well in first person and it's not like getting blocked by out of sight objects while dodging is exclusive to FPP productions.

Yes, it also happens in bad (camera wise at least) TPP production.

Beside, you avoided the question: did you see dodges?

If they mean the gameplay, we actually didn't see much of that in last year's demo, either, so again, no idea what they're referring to. Compared to what we saw last year, what we're hearing about now seems like a straight upgrade in almost every sense; even for some of the hardcore RPG fans here (compared to last year's "no visible RPG impact on anything whatsoever," we now have much more of that).
I think they're referring to the combat mostly. Enemy AI looked a little slower, gunplay and melee animations above average but not excellent, and etc.

Another part in it I think is that this is the second time back ... so expectations were higher. First time they went in with the Witcher 3, and two trailers worth of expectations. No idea what minute to minute gameplay would be like. This time they had a lot more to go on. So since they had their head wrapped around what it could be, it's easier to start picking apart little things you see with a critical eye.

Rather boldly push it towards the other direction and polish it that way; commit to doing it well one way rather than try to forcefully mix two opposite schools of design in hopes to get something good out of it for both. Say: ”This is not a shooter, so that’s not how it works, and that’s intentional. Combat here requires a different kind of approach from regular FPS games.
they'd lose 70% of sales, meaning bankrupt, at this point.

they'd lose 70% of sales, meaning bankrupt, at this point.

I think this is a misconception (a common one). That nothing else can work or be "fun" to the mainstream, other than shooter combat.

Shooter combat is just what people are used to right now because nobody tries to do anything else with the FP perspective. There are no alternatives of any kind in the market right now, so it's easy to jump to the conclusion that nothing else works or sells. (And just for a disclamer, non-shooter doesn't need to mean turnbased or non-action.)

It's also quite sad that it is this way, because it limits severely what games can do. It homogenizes the whole market of first person games as far as gameplay goes.

Last edited:
I think this is a misconception (a common one). That nothing else can work or be "fun" to the mainstream, other than shooter combat.
I don't know, I think companies are well aware of how much a genre sells, otherwise cRPG would be more common, have bigger budgets, divinity OS2 and pillars of eternity (which are excellent games) would have been blockbusters. But they sold less copies than anthem, which is pure shit (flying apart, but it's too limited).

Ubisoft went from pure action to action RPG when they saw TW3's sales, EA only makes multiplayer games because they can make more money that way, fortnite made epic a company this big that can afford to buy exlcusives. Some genres drive sales more than others.

I specified FP perspective later in that post. And that not being a shooter doesn't need to mean turnbased or lacking action.
There are no alternatives of any kind in the market right now, so it's easy to jump to the conclusion that nothing else works or sells.
fair enough, but I don't think any company this big right now is willing to risk that much. CP has costed dozens (almost for sure has passed the hundred) of millions dollars to make, if they don't sell at least 10 millions copies, they're in troubles, big troubles. Infact, everybody makes action-rpg open-world games, since they know the game game will sell by itself if it has this characteristics. Only inide games can afford to risk: they can't compete with AAA studios, so they need to make something different.

pretty standard for AAA games nowadays, but how do they know this already? isn't it too early? There's all the optimization to do... Probably is just a very raw estimate. More importantly, I hope the day 1 patch won't be humongous: I want to play the game immediately, not wait 1 day to download 20Gb (yeah, no fiber here, perks to live in the countryside :ok:).

I wonder if it'll come on 2 blurays or if they'll manage to squeeze everything in one (and then it's 80Gb after decompression).

pretty standard for AAA games nowadays, but how do they know this already? isn't it too early? There's all the optimization to do... Probably is just a very raw estimate. More importantly, I hope the day 1 patch won't be humongous: I want to play the game immediately, not wait 1 day to download 20Gb (yeah, no fiber here, perks to live in the countryside :ok:).

I wonder if it'll come on 2 blurays or if they'll manage to squeeze everything in one (and then it's 80Gb after decompression).

You can borrow my internet. I'll email it to you.

As for my opinion on the 80GB situation... It's a minor annoyance, but no more than that. I have 1TB total which does tend to fill up pretty quickly but I'll just delete something boring.

It's nice to see that number now, though. Makes the game feel more real and concrete, as if maybe it won't be delayed 2 times. :cry:

GTA V was around 65-70GB download to my recollection, and inspite its size, it actually didn't have all that much content to play with.

Strange are the days of now.

GTA V was around 65-70GB download to my recollection, and inspite its size, it actually didn't have all that much content to play with.

Aye. If I had to guess, I'd say it was mostly the world size, textures, meshes and such that took up all that space.

I'm less concerned in regards to 2077. If nothing else, it seems like there will actually be more "gameplay" than GTA V had.

Aye. If I had to guess, I'd say it was mostly the world size, textures, meshes and such that took up all that space.

76Gb on ps4, I saw it today while I was making some room for bioshock the collection.

RDR2 is 105 (98 on 2 blurays, other 7Gb of patches).

One of the recent COD was around that (I don't have it, but I remember they put only 50Gb on a bluray and you were forced to download the rest. Usual activision. :ok:)

Btw, a lot of Gb usually is just audio, a huge portion of the total.

You can borrow my internet. I'll email it to you.
If only :sad:

Btw, it takes me 6ish hours for 20Gb, if I'm the only one using internet at home. Not good for 2019, but acceptable. FIber arrives exactly 1Km away from my place and the central is at 1.5Km from here. It's so ridiculous...

The Witcher 3 31.04 GB (Ps4)
The Witcher 3 Goty - Version 70.15 GB (Ps4)
Cyberpunk 2077 80 GB nice :coolstory:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom