E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope they change their mind and don't make V's skill at using a shotgun related to strenght. That makes no sense. And I'm even more scared of the (very concrete) possibility that the stronger V is the more damage output a shotgun has.
Post automatically merged:

it's not their fault,
they chose the questions they wanted to give an answer to... which is totally fair and I totally expected it after the last Q&A and this year on the forum.

Oh boy, bear with me, a bit of text to come.

So i am guessing you saw the demo..Not sure if this is a good place to talk about it but what were the improvements compared to last year's demo. If you can think of anything specific i.e

I must add that I saw the 25-30 minute 'public demo' in the entertainment area, not the one in the business area, even though I thankfully was able to get in right away and not wait in line (thanks again @Vattier and others, really, that might've killed me otherwise :D).

As the other is about 45 minutes long as I heard and more 'illusive' and for press and so on, I reckon there are some differences but more to come in news in the days to come regarding that. Just a waiting game. I should also add that I saw a German version of a presentation, but here I can say that the voice quality for a localized version was very good, even accents or dialects were covered where applicable. With this in mind for a localized version, you can tell that the English one will be top notch. As fun fact, they even picked the usual German voice (artist) of Keanu Reeves, not just anyone. Continuity right there, might imply they will likely do it with a few other localized versions where applicable.

It should also be noted it was basically live gameplay with a dev holding the controller. Not quite sure how prior presentations were held including the 2018 E3 one, but it's better than just sitting down and watching a pre-recorded thing. Furthermore during the presentation we were asked at one point whether to focus or try on the Netrunner or Solo playstyle so we could slightly change the course of action. It implies the product or the particular section at the very least is in a good, solid shape.

With that out of the way, my impressions:

I think it's a bit hard to compare both content or area wise. Mostly because regarding what is shown, the demo from 2018 basically gives you a diverse setting, from the apartment with the girl, to V's turf and then a little walk to Dexter and your Ripperdoc, before you depart to meet the corpo agent and then see Maelstrom. That's rather diverse even if you roughly stay in the same district there.

Here, they show you a specific part of Pacifica. While you do get to see V riding a bike, thematically there is less going on as you start in one spot and meet the gang leader basically right away, and then go and use your bike to head straight to the mall. Perhaps in simpler words, you don't have as many "stops" elsewhere. It's basically roughly a 3/4 of the mission starting with the briefing by the leader and getting explanations about the more dynamic dialogue system you already see in the 2018 demo, but shown in other situations and with some elaborations again. For example, you sit down at a desk and speak to the leader and he tries to grab your hand to which you can suddenly react by pulling it away via dialogue option. I guess loosely describing it as a quick time event in dialogue form fits. Or shortly after, someone walks in and and he gives a cryptic message to the boss you speak to and you can chose to react to this via dialogue or not. I'd have to check the 2018 demo again but here I noted that dialogue options seem to use (more) contextual tags now. What do I mean? Take the last example with the cryptic message by a gang member to the leader. After hearing it, you contextually had tags in front of the dialogue. To know when you'd address Placide (name of the boss you talk to) or when you'd refer to what just happened. Depending on some situations this could be a needed help or make things easier.

HUD and menu elements seemed overhauled, not much I could complain about there, "skill tree" or Matrix was shown, emphasis was put on a fluid class system briefly again. Especially prepared for this demo was a "pop up screen" you won't get in the game later, allowing staff to quickly switch to different playstyles (Netrunner vs Solo). I give them props here because what simple method could they have used? A simple "hard reset", like a raw reload, putting them back in some spot on another build (of class). Instead they had this nicely looking screen prepared, allowing them to freely select between the build. Netrunner V build was male, Solo V was female and they stood next to each other in some pose when you could select them. Call it trivial but it's an indicator for detail, like going the extra mile as that was simply an aspect for presentational purposes.

Stealth including nanowire was shown and if you ask me, there is not much to complain about. Stealth and gunplay feels cohesive or organic, not clunky to give another counter-example. Enemies being hit feels organic based on weaponry and there was other cases of destructible environment shown.

To add, they also gave a situation where your gameplay choice affects the outcome of a "quest" (or job). I actually do not mean saying something specific in a dialogue sequence, but simple things whether or not you hack a system or go in guns blazing. You think generally using stealth or hacking is without problems? Think again, you could be detected with your intrusion, even if your hack itself works and shuts down a system.

This really makes you rethink your approach in some situations or think of potential repercussions. It was a simple example but it just highlights your actions and consequences on a big level if you ask me.

"I could go on and on..." (to loosely quote V at the Ripperdoc from the prior demo) if I did compare closely to the prior demo but I think perhaps that giving you my impressions also does the trick.

To recap, the game, compared to 2018, seems even more refined mostly relating to gameplay and HUD or menu mechanics. The level of detail shown again is also of significance. I must say at times I even was surprised, because something simple you'd expect in real life was shown: V wants to hack a box to disable a certain object that is connected to the box. The box is behind a shelf but some cardboxes or trash sitting on the shelf, thus partially (but not fully) blocking so you first get an option to shove the trash away. A simple thing, right? Sure, but again I think all that detail is making the difference.

have you seen melee combat?

Yes, including a knife and nanowire. Not much to complain there, as stated prior, all those mechanics including Stealth or melee do not feel out of place and fitting.

I should add I'm obviously no gaming journalist or gaming expert on a professional level and I didn't try to really mind and analyse all mechanics in great detail. But from the consumer POV, I can clearly say that what I saw felt detailled, cohesive and basically working as intended. And it raised my interest, makes me look forward to the game. If they can basically guarantee just half of that commitment or detail for "minor quests", I'm sold. And they did say they wanted to make even "side quests" feel fulfilling.

So that should be "good to go" there.

I think that I found the thing that bothers me the most about the gunplay in this game.

From what I've seen In the 2018 demo (I've watched it noumerous times) it seems that if you shoot from the hip the results are the same as if you were aiming down sights.
Even the crosshairs on the screen are always small and focused around the dot, you always know where you're aiming without actually aiming.
Watch the scene where V flanks the Scavenger Boss through the side window.
No bullet spread at all from the hip, 14 bullets on target.

A while ago a reddit user that saw the demo today at gamescom was asked about the gunplay...

He wrote...

"Guns were looking and sounding really awesome. Gunplay is only without ADSing, so kinda hip fire shots, which I don't really like. "

This one is cool but short - https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-fight-the-law-in-cyberpunk-2077-but-the-law-will-win/

The odds are very good that at some point during your adventures in Cyberpunk 2077, you'll run into trouble with the law. Hey, it happens—everybody runs into a little bit of bad luck that's totally not their fault now and then, right? But producer Richard Borzymowski told USgamer that there are ways you can mitigate your risk factors—beginning with knowing where it's good to be bad.

Night City will be divided into different districts, some of them extremely wealthy and others, not so much. The City Center is "super rich," and Japantown is also very affluent; the area known as Pacifica, on the other hand, is much poorer, which makes it a much better place for your unsavory activities.

"In Pacifica (one of the poorer areas) you could probably shoot someone, and if nobody would see then nobody would care," Borzymowski said. "If you would do that in the City Center you would probably get some law enforcement. Because those areas are way more patrolled. The crowds will act and dress differently. You might hear more languages, for example Japanese might be a prominent language, because the Japanese are considered upper class in the universe."

If you do get into a beef with the local gendarmes, you can fight, but the law will win. "Your options are to run away, fight them and then run away, or fight them, fight them, fight them, and then die," Borzymowski said. Sounds a bit like Cyber GTA, no? The only real crime is being caught.

Cyberpunk 2077 is scheduled for release on April 16, 2020. Here's a handful of new screens showcasing burly men in gritty environments for your viewing pleasure.

This one is cool but short - https://www.pcgamer.com/you-can-fight-the-law-in-cyberpunk-2077-but-the-law-will-win/

The odds are very good that at some point during your adventures in Cyberpunk 2077, you'll run into trouble with the law. Hey, it happens—everybody runs into a little bit of bad luck that's totally not their fault now and then, right? But producer Richard Borzymowski told USgamer that there are ways you can mitigate your risk factors—beginning with knowing where it's good to be bad.

Night City will be divided into different districts, some of them extremely wealthy and others, not so much. The City Center is "super rich," and Japantown is also very affluent; the area known as Pacifica, on the other hand, is much poorer, which makes it a much better place for your unsavory activities.

"In Pacifica (one of the poorer areas) you could probably shoot someone, and if nobody would see then nobody would care," Borzymowski said. "If you would do that in the City Center you would probably get some law enforcement. Because those areas are way more patrolled. The crowds will act and dress differently. You might hear more languages, for example Japanese might be a prominent language, because the Japanese are considered upper class in the universe."

If you do get into a beef with the local gendarmes, you can fight, but the law will win. "Your options are to run away, fight them and then run away, or fight them, fight them, fight them, and then die," Borzymowski said. Sounds a bit like Cyber GTA, no? The only real crime is being caught.

Cyberpunk 2077 is scheduled for release on April 16, 2020. Here's a handful of new screens showcasing burly men in gritty environments for your viewing pleasure.
I'm fine with this. It fits with the lore and cat and mouse chases with the cops get annoying.

Did someone say cops?

Yeah yeah, I'll go back into my hiding hole :sleep:

Good that there is no "universal" law meaning corpo or city cops you likely (definitely) won't see hunting you in Pacifica where it might be gangs instead, and you won't see gangs chase you in city center.

GTA offered many interesting things and of course the setting is different and not that comparable. But there, the law system had, well... room for optimization.

SCREENSHOT 2
Oh, the hammer. It never was a big part of the demo anyway so i didn't really expect it here..Anyway some more screenshots.

Also two other screenshots that are not on their twitter.

SCREENSHOT 1
SCREENSHOT 2

source

I don`t remember seeing a pump action shotgun before (y)

She has so many great cos play pic`s .

Good stuff.

I like that you can run away, and hopefully the cops aren't psychic. It makes sense that you can't just keep killing and killing and killing indefinitely -- in the real world, if you did that, there'd be a team of snipers installed on nearby rooftops to take you out. Or any other number of anti-mass-murder measures.

It's only in games that you can kill all your pursuers in a blaze of glory and somehow escape unscathed.

FYI, if anyone sees this post anywhere on the internet: https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/29533/gameplay-stream-announcement

...Ignore it. Lilayah said to ignore it and that everything is still subject to change.

Last edited:
I really hope they change their mind and don't make V's skill at using a shotgun related to strenght. That makes no sense. And I'm even more scared of the (very concrete) possibility that the stronger V is the more damage output a shotgun has.

Well, he said in the interview that it's just for the purpose of giving an example.

I cannot create a Thread since i am not old enough here...
However, CDPR will be streaming a cut of the new demo on twitch alongside interviews, August 30th, 8PM CEST
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/29533/gameplay-stream-announcement

Only 15 minutes of game content, that's very small.
I hope we'll still get the full 40+ minutes version at PAX even with its rewind to show a different playstyle.
This news got deleted and Lilayah said on discord we should ignore that as it's still up to debate. More info soonish.

This news got deleted and Lilayah said on discord we should ignore that as it's still up to debate. More info soonish.

Ahaha it's a good thing i cannot create a thread then ;) I would have made a fool of little me since the page now hosts a glorious "404".
Thanks for the heads' up.

edit: and the 404 is gone... it's back with the info.
it's on the main page in big blue box, a ghost i guess.

Last edited:
15min? Is this an out of season April Fool's joke?
Um ... no?

48 minute demo + 15 minute demo is already more than an hour of gameplay. Even if the game ends up being 100 hours long, that's already 1% of the game shown. Let's leave something to actually play. As long as I see some skill tree stuff and netrunning stuff, I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom