E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, i wouldn't say it did the opposite. It went more into the details which not everyone likes to talk about, whether because they don't have a strong opinion one way or the other or they've not seen anything unexpected. And it had the secondary effect of tempering certain expectations, thus narrowing down the speculation.

Personally, i liked what i saw. Yes, it needs more work, nothing new there. It was, after all, a build that's more than 10 months away from the polishing that usually takes places during the last stretch of development.

Yes, some things changed; stuff was removed, stuff was added. That's game development for you. There's not one, singular feature that will guarantee failure or success, nor can one singular feature cover all imagination driven wants of a potential playerbase regarding that feature. The final product is what counts, and so far, to me, it's looking pretty good.

It very likely tempered CDPR willingness to share anything with the community, be it now or in the future.

Great! Next time if you don’t have something to show to those at home (i.e. the bulk of your audience) then don’t go half-cocked and show some tiny bits just for the hell of it.

In other words if you don’t have anything to say it’s better to keep complete radio silence. Won’t keep up the hype and interest that way though.

It’s kind of expected from professionals to be able to filter through certain amount of shit and cherrypick valid points (even such that might be worded in a feisty manner).

[Sard Edit: removed deleted post quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
There's TONS of valid feedback on these forums. Probably the best place for them to look. Twitter, FB, or any other site doesn't compare to the posts on this forum. If you blanket that as "whining", your comment is as invalid as the whining you're attempting to devalue

Oh, i wouldn't say it did the opposite. It went more into the details which not everyone likes to talk about, whether because they don't have a strong opinion one way or the other or they've not seen anything unexpected. And it had the secondary effect of tempering certain expectations, thus narrowing down the speculation.

Personally, i liked what i saw. Yes, it needs more work, nothing new there. It was, after all, a build that's more than 10 months away from the polishing that usually takes places during the last stretch of development.

Yes, some things changed; stuff was removed, stuff was added. That's game development for you. There's not one, singular feature that will guarantee failure or success, nor can one singular feature cover all imagination driven wants of a potential playerbase regarding that feature. The final product is what counts, and so far, to me, it's looking pretty good.
wait, maybe I wasn't clear enough: I'm not disappointed by the few gameplay we saw, I'm disappointed about the quality of how it was presented. And the quantity, in particular after months of "we are not showing it to people at home now because we want to build hype up untill PAX east". We were discussing more about CP77 before the 15 min demo than after. Looks like a total failure in building hype, to me.
Great! Next time if you don’t have something to show to those at home (i.e. the bulk of your audience) then don’t go half-cocked and show some tiny bits just for the hell of it.

In other words if you don’t have anything to say it’s better to keep complete radio silence. Won’t keep up the hype and interest that way though.

This.

During the recent polish International Festival of Comic Book and Video Games in city of Łódź there was a panel dedicated to the polish version of Cyberpunk 2077 with Game Director Adam Badowski, Senior Localization Producer Mikołaj Szwed and (revealed publically for the first time) voice actors for male/female V and Johnny Silverhand. V's are voiced by Lidia Sadowska and Kamil Kula, who already worked with CDPR on The Witcher Tales: Thronebreaker, voicing Black Rayla and Gascon respectively (so fairly major roles). However the most interesting part is who they got for the part of Silverhand and that person is none other then Michał Żebrowski, who played Geralt of Rivia in the polish Witcher movie and TV Show, which is pretty funny, because I was thinking that Jacek Rozenek, who voiced Geralt in the games, would be a pretty good fit for Johnny, but since he only recently started recovering from his stroke, I'm fine with the other Geralt as well. They shared some samples of their voice acting on the panel, which apparently sounded pretty great.

Other then those, admittedly, niche pieces of info, they did share some other bits of trivia related to the game.

- Cyberpunk 2077 in general will be more serious then The Witcher series, but it will still contain humour, though mostly relegated to the sidequests, since in those they allow themselves more creative freedom

- in the game's script, the female V lines are always written first, then the male ones next to them. The reason for that is that they already have an experience with writing male protagonist, so that way it's easier for them to get used to writing for the female one

- there are two major differences between male and female versions of V. One of them are romantic relationships (they promised that all of them will be in-depth and special), which are written for each version of V separately. The second one is that people will react to and approach V differently based on the protagonist being either male or female

- CDPR created their own technology for the purpose of lip syncing all the lines for different languages in real time through the sound analysis, which is based on neural networks

- since they are recording voice over for a video game and not a movie, one of the challenges they face is remaining within a certain range when it comes to how emotionally charged the responses are, since what player feels himself during gameplay is most important, so they want to avoid a strong disconnection between what player feels and what character feels (I believe it was said in relation to V)

- since they are recording voice over for a video game and not a movie, one of the challenges they face is remaining within a certain range when it comes to how emotionally charged the responses are, since what player feels himself during gameplay is most important, so they want to avoid a strong disconnection between what player feels and what character feels (I believe it was said in relation to V)

Heh. We've been talking around this for some time so it's nice to hear it from the devs themselves.

Another CP2077 Night City gangs poster. This time Valentinos. Available to buy in CDPR store.

It very likely tempered CDPR willingness to share anything with the community, be it now or in the future.

*Eyes rolling*

So they did a crappy video no one was happy about and now it's our fault.
Yeah "no spoiler" but actualy spoils themselves the main plot that no one asked about, when all we wanted was some actual gameplay, like dialogs dynamics or just showing us how faithful the gameplay is to the original RPG.

They try to keep us hyped over a game they don't show anything about (I mean something not "alpha/cut in final game").
So obviously, no one is hyped about a game they keep hiding everything about, but at the same.time has every elements splattered on youtube (the cyberpunk 2020 lore).

They said last year "the game is playable frpm begining to the end", they started printing the box, etc... Most stuff are finalized, they won't re-do the whole game now, so...
Just show us what they've got to sell.

They originaly sold us a true RPG with a non-mandatory character.

... Now we have an FPS with some RPG elements and a mandatory (but kinda customisable) character.

I guess that's our fault too?

They even said "we write the female V plot first" (and refer to V as "she" in the interviews...). So I heard "Female V is the real plot, male V is just... The same but adapted kinda".

I blame their marketing scheme which is hella confusing and nonsensical.
Cutting gameplay for spoiler but spoiling even more through their interviews, what's the point ?

It's a game, not a book, show us some damn gameplay, for all we care, they could've just shown 1h of gameplay with the only finalized mission they have (like a total random side mission) last E3, then notying more untill release excepted a bunch of "hyping" interviews and everyone would be happy.

Now, it feels like the took a step back themselves, but ask us to trust them, well, we're looking for a game, so show us some footage, we're in 2020, not 1994, people expect videos with concrete stuff, or just say nothing if you don't want to show anything... Just don't stay in middle ground it's confusing, and actually makes them look like they're not really confident about it, for some reason.

Is it hating?
Nope, it's just how I see it from my customer place, if I can give my opinion on the game, I'd rather give it before release, not once it's released and it's too late to change anything.

The fact they only show it to a " few selected people" is a boring gimmick
Unless the gameplay is total garbage we won't throw the game in the fire even if it has a few flaw.

"Hey guys, wait for 1month for a maybe-gameplay videos... But vote for us as the most waited game, even if we don't show anything, but yeah, we'll give you a lil something if you're a good boy"

That's actually how it plays off and frankly I was hyped untill they started playing it like that, baiting us and not delivering but "wait till next month" etc...

Not a secret, everyone will play it/buy it, it's one of the most anticipated game ever, but they're pulling way too hard on the rope and it get people losing interest or simply thinking it won't be that good in the end.

I'm not bashing CDPR, but the way they present the game and how I feel it, just an opinion.

Last edited:
They said last year "the game is playable frpm begining to the end", they started printing the box, etc... Most stuff are finalized, they won't re-do the whole game now, so...
Game being playable from start to finish at that stage of development doesn't mean it's finished, but that it's basic outline (let's call it) is ready, which means it's still lacks a tons of assets, animations, models, textures and so on. They even pointed out that the part they showcased at E3 2018 was the most polished out of entire game. Plus in game development most things are not finalized until the game enters at least beta stage.
They even said "we write the female V plot first" (and refer to V as "she" in the interviews...). So I heard "Female V is the real plot, male V is just... The same but adapted kinda".
And that's just a weird criticism. They need to refer to character in some way and since female V is written first, they refer to V as a "she". If you give player a choice between male and female character, obviously one of them needs to be written first before the other one does, but ultimately it's the player who decide what his canonical version of the character will be, still you can't just call character V all the time in the promotional materials without making it sound awkward. Would that be a problem for you if they wrote male V first and then V was refered to as a "he" by developers? I don't think so.

And that's just a weird criticism. They need to refer to character in some way and since female V is written first, they refer to V as a "she". If you give player a choice between male and female character, obviously one of them needs to be written first before the other one does, but ultimately it's the player who decide what his canonical version of the character will be, still you can't just call character V all the time in the promotional materials without making it sound awkward. Would that be a problem for you if they wrote male V first and then V was refered to as a "he" by developers? I don't think so.

Well they said that NPC will react totally differently if you play a male or a girl...
It's not that weird.
They probably write Fem'V first and then remove the sexist and "gropey" approach for the male story.
Which sounds like Fem'V is way more like in fallout, in which most NPC are male, you can get laid with them etc... Giving you way more possibilities than with the male playthrough.

Now, that's just based on their interview, since they don't show anything.
And that was my point.
I don't want them to spoil everything, I surely never wanted to know Morgan Blackhands was there (now that's a spoiler, thanks).

But just showing us "that it's a true RPG" when all they shows us is an FPS with a few perks and a two sided story with branches...

So should we, as some people saids, wait until release, to get the game and be like "Oh well... That's kinda disapointing"?
That's what they did with Fallout 4 and it didn't ended well...

We don't care about 4textures missing and 20animations lacking, we just want to see how "RP" it is, since it's supposed to be an RPG, that's why we rant, and get even more tired when all they show is basicaly a FPS with sloppy gunfights.

They won't finish the game 2hours before release. Maybe a few polish and correcting a few stuff but even for promotional videos, all they do and show is made at least one month ahead, minimum and a big guy there validate it, so yeah I guess the game is way more advanced that they tell us, it's marketing, you have your lil speech made and validated and you repeat it over and over.
Problem is, there's a huuuuge gap between what they say and what they show us. So we're confused, and they keep playing the secret game, which was at first confusing, but as the release date is coming closer looks more like they talk about a deep rpg, but show us an action FPS, which are two totally different types of game in my book.

And frankly, Cyberpunk, as much as I love that licence, hyped me mostly because we didn't had a proper RPG game for a while, and now I feel like it won't be that "RPey", with a mandatory character and a heavy focus on gunfights or sneaking like in Metalgear solid, which is cool but is there any other route aviable?
It looks like Deus Ex, wich isn't a bad game, but just a story driven FPS not a rpg (having a bunch of points to puts in perks doesn't make a game a RPG).

Last edited:
And frankly, Cyberpunk, as much as I love that licence, hyped me mostly because we didn't had a proper RPG game for a while, and now I feel like it won't be that "RPey", with a mandatory character and a heavy focus on gunfights or sneaking like in Metalgear solid, which is cool but is there any other route aviable?

Same here...

Well they said that NPC will react totally differently if you play a male or a girl...
It's not that weird.
They probably write Fem'V first and then remove the sexist and "gropey" approach for the male story.
Which sounds like Fem'V is way more like in fallout, in which most NPC are male, you can get laid with them etc... Giving you way more possibilities than with the male playthrough.
Sorry, I simply can't follow your line of logic, which led you to those conclusions. There is one plot, with some differences between male and female character, that's for sure. However romantic relationships are written as a part of the sidequests after main plot is finished, but it doesn't indicate in any way who is going to have more potential partners, especially since the game will also include nonstraight options, so the argument of "most story related NPC's being male" (which is in itself just an assumption) doesn't mean anything. The difference also doesn't boil down to character being sexist toward you or not. For example, in the first demo Doctor Victor was pleasant toward female V, while in the male V version he was apparently
more hostile over the money that V owned him. So saying that male version will be just an abridged copy of the female one, based on... nothing, is definitely premature.

It's not that weird.

Now, that's just based on their interview, since they don't show anything.
And that was my point.
I don't want them to spoil everything, I surely never wanted to know Morgan Blackhands was there (now that's a spoiler, thanks).

But just showing us "that it's a true RPG" when all they shows us is an FPS with a few perks and a two sided story with branches...

So should we, as some people saids, wait until release, to get the game and be like "Oh well... That's kinda disapointing"?
That's what they did with Fallout 4 and it didn't ended well...

We don't care about 4textures missing and 20animations lacking, we just want to see how "RP" it is, since it's supposed to be an RPG, that's why we rant, and get even more tired when all they show is basicaly a FPS with sloppy gunfights.

They won't finish the game 2hours before release. Maybe a few polish and correcting a few stuff but even for promotional videos, all they do and show is made at least one month ahead, minimum and a big guy there validate it, so yeah I guess the game is way more advanced that they tell us, it's marketing, you have your lil speech made and validated and you repeat it over and over.
Problem is, there's a huuuuge gap between what they say and what they show us. So we're confused, and they keep playing the secret game, which was at first confusing, but as the release date is coming closer looks more like they talk about a deep rpg, but show us an action FPS, which are two totally different types of game in my book.

It looks like Deus Ex, wich isn't a bad game, but just a story driven FPS not a rpg (having a bunch of points to puts in perks doesn't make a game a RPG).
This game looks like a proper RPG. Branching story lines that depend on your choices, free-flowing character creation, open world. What more do you need from an RPG. Also how else would you approach a situation besides being sneaky or violent? You already have multiple choices of how you want to do either (shoot or use melee) (Hack or use tech skills) and I'm sure they haven't revealed all of the options yet. You can even do a talking-only non-violent character. This game will be the definition of a proper RPG.

This game looks like a proper RPG. Branching story lines that depend on your choices, free-flowing character creation, open world. What more do you need from an RPG.

Real free-flowing character creation.
Actually you're more customising an existing character than really creating it.

You can even do a talking-only non-violent character.

Nope, neither talking-only nor non-violent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom