E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unless there's a way you could tell to Placid "Yeah dude, wait a minute".
Then go make a deal with the animals, then get back to placid and pierces some holes in his skull using your SMG, getting some cash from the Animals and, helping or not the Netwatch agent (or just killing him, cause fuckdapolice).
Or just try to get the best of both world, until the voodoo and animals are so full of your shits that they either decide to both hunt you or just kill each others.
Unless you have all those possibilities (and I'd loooove to have those, but heh, I highly doubt it) it's still a mission you have to make, sneak inside or force your way in, kill (or not) Saxsquash:

And then there are like... Two different branch then (or maybe not that much, depends on what Sax' can offer your if you keep her alive, beside a firm handjob).
It's still a kinda "rail" story, like in fallout 4, you follow the story, but you can't really fuck it up that much, lacks some nuance, and that's those kinds of "nuance" I'd love CDPR to stress out in a video or an official statement, not a screenshot (we know how the game looks now, it's not really surprising) or a bland gameplay video, cause yeah the game looks good but having 2 cinematics and a shooting scene is kinda looking like any game I've played recently, nothing really "groundbreaking" here.
Bulpup guns and cool-looking-cyberware are nice eyecandy, but from a gameplay perspective, it won't last long before you've saw it all, so... What's hidden behind it? A nice story and that's it? A big world to fuck-shit-up into?

Also, CP77 is supposedly 80gb big.
RDR2 is 100GB bigger, kinda says a lots about how much "depth" the game will have.
I don't say this as "IT WILL SUUUUCK".
But yeah, just a cool solo campaign following a cool story with some memorable side quests and that's it.
A Deus-Ex, but good.
Not like a classic RPG with a kinda neutral main story and you, free to do your shit in that said story.
I guess it'll rest mostly over the fact that you help Johnny or Not, which is, kinda forcing your hand in a way.
But, I think the "AAA" gaming market model is to blame here, cause the kids gotta have their big toys.

Here, from what I've understood.
You play V, a Merc, sounds cool, but yeah, you just customize him/her and that's it (rather than having a few "nuances" to have, Bloodline or 2020's style with the roles), you choose 3 lifepath (which will also drive the story from the begining to the end with added or removed dialog choices and actions, but seemingly nothing crazy, untill they show us it really matter), you can choose your sex, but it'll just be the same game, just "Hey, nice ass girl / Hey dude, you owe me money" dialog swap, now you start the game with Johnny, which will bullies you to help him, so you'll do, up until you break the black wall.
The story isn't about V, you're just a taxi driver for Silverhand (or maybe there's a bad ending if you choose to tell him to frag' off).

Sounds more like an interactive story rather than an RPG in which YOU choose what story you'll play, not the story that gives you some options and try to deal with it.
I want V to be a retard and have a total different view on the world if he has 2 in his INT stats, not just... "V will miss every INT roll", that's how a proper RPG should work.
I know it's a lot of work, probably not doable now or... I don't know, but yeah, it sounds like Fallout 4 all over again, not a bad game, but kinda "forced" on some parts.
Honnestly, it's a 1st person shooter, I don't much care if you put 460 000 different tones of shirt that I won't be able to see... Multiplayer? Cool, make them unlockable in the Multiplayer add-on, no reason to have them in a SP when all we'd need is just a bunch of costumes depending on where we go.
Customisation isn't what Cyberpunk was "really" about, it was the Customisation of YOUR CHARACTER in what HE WAS, you could be a Media, an Astronaut, a Pizza delivery guy, a military, you could be everything. The cosmetics weren't that much the main point of it.

Last edited:
I want V to be a retard and have a total different view on the world if he has 2 in his INT stats, not just... "V will miss every INT roll", that's how a proper RPG should work.

CDPR hasn’t made a game like this so far and I doubt CP2077 will be it with such level of customization. All three Witcher games were action-RPGs and Cyberpunk will be just that with a heavier focus on the action.

I agree having a bunch of meaningless clothes options doesn’t add depth to the game as multiple outcomes of branching quest lines would.

CDPR hasn’t made a game like this so far and I doubt CP2077 will be it with such level of customization. All three Witcher games were action-RPGs and Cyberpunk will be just that with a heavier focus on the action.

I agree having a bunch of meaningless clothes options doesn’t add depth to the game as multiple outcomes of branching quest lines would.

I didn't played The Witcher's games fully (not really into the settings), only a bit, to get an overall idea, but since they wanted to "make something different, now that we can have a non-mandatory character", I thought they'd go in a way more free road, they originaly cited Fallout 2, Vampire Bloodline, etc... As inspiration, so I expected something maybe, a bit more... Free.

Here, sure you can put a bit more points in Solo / Net' / Techie, have a mohawk or a sidecut, but the core flesh of the game sounds kinda identical, I think they'd probably get a bit less criticism if they'd just admit "Yeah, that's not really an RPG, more an FPS inspired by the RPG but the game will be really good".

Heck, in Cyberpunk 2020 you could use your Charismatic Leadership and rise an army.
Wouldn't it be cool? you're stuck in a mission, cause people are too heavily armed, so you hang around Pacifica, using that Charismatic Leadership skill and build an army of homeless bums to cause havok in the building as you sneak around, etc...

That could be a totaly manageable pacifist gameplay, pretty over-the-top, but that's kinda the point of a Rockerboy anyway.

Here, no matter what you're forced to do the job all by yourself, even if you hack someone arm's to make him put a bullet in his brain, you're killing him no matter what.
Sure, that's a less "agressive" option than just ripping his head off, but the road you take are the same, it's like using a katana instead of a gun, in the end you're just slashing your way or shooting it to get from point A to point B, which is sad because I think the Cyberpunk mecanics offer you wayyyy more funny way of doing it (like, unleashing people all over the Animal's HQ by promising them discount on the supermarket's good, and having the Animal not understanding what the fuck is happening as you slowly sneak to Sasquash (then you fight her or not, depending on how good you're at mindfucking her, heck you HEAR them talking with a corp, you could use that with some social skills and try your luck)

Here, it seems it's either you punch her nicely either you punch her bad, but you're taking the same route in both case.

I didn't played The Witcher's games fully (not really into the settings), only a bit, to get an overall idea, but since they wanted to "make something different, now that we can have a non-mandatory character", I thought they'd go in a way more free road, they originaly cited Fallout 2, Vampire Bloodline, etc... As inspiration, so I expected something maybe, a bit more... Free.

Here, sure you can put a bit more points in Solo / Net' / Techie, have a mohawk or a sidecut, but the core flesh of the game sounds kinda identical, I think they'd probably get a bit less criticism if they'd just admit "Yeah, that's not really an RPG, more an FPS inspired by the RPG but the game will be really good".

A lot has changed from the initial reveal in 2013 and stuff devs said back then about the game is no longer relevant. First it was different classes which turned into the “fluid classes” system with you being a Swiss-knife of sorts. It sucks that the world and major storylines won’t adjust to your actions, there is only so much freedom within a set path. But then again no game can provide that at the moment.

Story-wise I’m looking at it from the perspective of the protagonist’s sidekick where the sidekick is just along for the ride but he still might have an interesting background and backstory which will be cool to explore. But you can’t do that in games yet, you can’t live out that sidekick’s/protagonist’s NPC friend live in the game. Game worlds revolve around the protagonist which ruins the whole illusion of role playing and immersion. Yet there’s so few ways the player can influence the world around them.

Pardon my incoherent ramblings. Bottom line I’m counting on a good worldbuilding within cyberpunk universe and escaping the reality at least for a few days. But it is pointless to ask this game to be the end-all-be-all. No game can exceed what any particular person’s imagination is capable of conjuring up.

All that said expecting CP2077 to implement mechanics not yet seen in a CDPR game is more than fair. I for one don’t want the repetition of a TES/Fallout scenario where Bethesda basically changes the backdrop but all the key beats stay the same which reminds of the Cabin in the Fever movie where they have a fixed bag of monsters/locations and they just mix and match them to create the illusion of novelty.

Pardon my incoherent ramblings. Bottom line I’m counting on a good worldbuilding within cyberpunk universe and escaping the reality at least for a few days. But it is pointless to ask this game to be the end-all-be-all. No game can exceed what any particular person’s imagination is capable of conjuring up.

So yes. Especially this part.

A creative project of this scale needs to be (and remain) organic. When something off the initial track but so much better than what was originally envisioned appears, wise creators know how to recognize it and seize the opportunity. No one on the outside will ever understand that the way that the people backstage will. So looks can be very deceiving.

For CP2077, I think that a sizeable number of people were envisioning a Witcher 3 style of game with a lot of the tabletop elements thrown in. Perhaps something between Dragon Age and Mass Effect in execution. Who knows? It may have started as exactly that.

But it evolved. Here's what I think people will ultimately say ( -- based entirely on my own speculations as we near release):

"It's a unique experience, not really a shooter except for a few sections here and there. The RPG aspects are definitely there, but they're handled under-the-hood, viscerally. Play a different character build, and you'll feel the difference starkly. The story is excellent: developed characters, deep and satisfying questlines, twists and surprises that keep the energy flowing. World design is astounding. The music is just -- WOW. What the game does best is capture the feeling of being in the Cyberpunk universe like nothing before. From the vista of Night City seen from a high-rise, to the clutters of trash in the alleyways...it's the world Cyberpunk brought to life in exquisite detail."

I've cast my dice. Let's see.

Also, CP77 is supposedly 80gb big.
RDR2 is 100GB bigger, kinda says a lots about how much "depth" the game will have.

I may be on the pessimitic boat, but that part I cannot agree, as scripts aren't what makes game size bigger.
For example any railroaded game which is poorly optimized (meaning next to no compression) with 4k high detailed textures will be bigger than a good open world RPG using texture compression.

I saw that one earlier today. Absolutely priceless. :ROFLMAO:
I'm not familiar with the channel so I was lost for the first minute or two. :p

Last edited:
I may be on the pessimitic boat, but that part I cannot agree, as scripts aren't what makes game size bigger.
For example any railroaded game which is poorly optimized (meaning next to no compression) with 4k high detailed textures will be bigger than a good open world RPG using texture compression.

The bulk of modern games' sizes comes from sound / cinematic files. Graphics (aside from super-high-res, uncompressed texture packs) don't really take up a lot of space. It's perfectly possible to have a gargantuan world with a level of detail the likes of which we've never seen fit in less than 20 GB. If things like trees, clutter, crowds, etc. are handled procedurally, even less. Minecraft worlds can be several thousand times larger than the surface of the Earth before you start hitting the Far Lands issue, and that will only take up 1-8 GB, depending on how much of it you actually explore.

The reason games like GTAV and RDR2 are so huge is down to all of those hard-scripted scenes, voice files, audio files, and music files (like the incessant phone messages you get while playing GTAV Online).

Besides, I've used a bunch of "high-res" texture packs over time, and I have to say the improvements are middling at best. You can definitely notice the difference when you look, but the overall effect it has is pretty minimal for an average-sized monitor. I'd rather have the VRAM overhead and a few extra FPS, myself.

Last edited:
Also, a lot of data is repeated hundreds of times just to let the HDD find them faster (= load faster). Game's size has little to no value. I mean, look at how big recent call of duty games are and how little they have to offer.

"
On Confidence In Hitting April 2020 Release Date
A lot of people do [feel good about the April 2020 date and] some people are scared about the date. It's a normal kind of mixture of feeling about that date in the studio. That's the directive; we need to keep that date.
"

From https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-dev-talks-multiplayer-the-future-of/1100-6470514/

This is no guarantee that there won't be a pushback - in the end, if it needs to be done, CDPR will do it - but it should deflate the Express clickbait article a bit.

1571333318318.png

And from what everybody has said (and CDPR's decision not to put a proper gameplay video on youtube), they have a lot of work to do on the game yet. Animations, bug polishing, they don't even know yet how to deal with gear (Q&A after "deep dive" video)...

On the other hand, it would be extremely ridiculous after all that "when it's ready" before announcing the release date.

I'm all for a delay if necessary. Given its scope, TW3 was a game that should have been in dev for at least four years, which is why it was so regularly patched after release. Same with the other two games. I'd think this is a pattern CDPR wouldn't want to repeat.

On the other hand, it would be extremely ridiculous after all that "when it's ready" before announcing the release date.

Exactly! I surmise that the only reason why they would announce the release date 10-11 months away from release is because that’s date the dev team leaders could agree on when answering the question asked by the suits or PR department.
Surely PR folks would constantly heckle them saying stuff like “you gotta keep the hype alive, man”.

But then again pushing the date even more leads to the game being outdated so much faster provided the new consoles will actually be what they are rumored to be i.e. having 8-core 16-thread CPUs and built in raytracing capabilities and also if CDPR isn’t planning to do the Rockstar double-dipping trick (releasing the game first on an older console and then on a new one when it arrives).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom