E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing that scares me of those quotes is that the game will be released in 6 months (with one of the main devs saying he'd prefer not to have a fixed release date???) and they are still adding things, with few months for optimization on 4 consoles and thousands of possible PC configurations, polishing and whatnot. Also animations are still a problem... And they haven't finished all the game's features yet? Oh boy, smells like delay incoming or another TW3-like launch...
The Witcher 3 was their first PlayStation release ever, so it might have some issues at launch (I don't recall any serious ones with PC and Xbox One versions, since they had more experience with those platforms already), but I imagine that by now they are far more comfortable with the hardware. Regarding things like animations, Deep Dive and the rest of the footage being shown behind closed doors is not really representative of the current state of the game, since it comes from 4-5 months old build. Things like animations, UI, character creator, etc. may already differ greatly from what was shown I believe.

Still the fact that the game is not feature complete and the things are still being added into it on one hand shows a great dedication to the final project, but on the other it also puts current release date in a serious jeopardy. If the delay happens, the game release will most likely be moved to the Autumn 2020.

The Witcher 3 was their first PlayStation release ever, so it might have some issues at launch (I don't recall any serious ones with PC and Xbox One versions, since they had more experience with those platforms already), but I imagine that by now they are far more comfortable with the hardware. Regarding things like animations, Deep Dive and the rest of the footage being shown behind closed doors is not really representative of the current state of the game, since it comes from 4-5 months old build. Things like animations, UI, character creator, etc. may already differ greatly from what was shown I believe.

Still the fact that the game is not feature complete and the things are still being added into it on one hand shows a great dedication to the final project, but on the other it also puts current release date in a serious jeopardy. If the delay happens, the game release will most likely be moved to the Autumn 2020.
No idea about other platforms, but PS4 was A MESS. bugs over bugs over bugs, including some missions who were just broken (king's gambit was fixed in early september).

I wouldn't have any problem if they decide to delay the game. At all. Just ridiculous after all that "when it's ready", but no problems, I always prefer a polished game in september than a "broken" game in april.

It might also be a sign of uncertainty and problems.
True, considering that months ago I've heard from a journalist that some CDPR employees complained about problems in leadership taking decisions (I think I wrote it somewhere on the forum). TAKE IT AS A RUMOR. They could just lie as far as we know.

True, considering that months ago I've heard from a journalist that some CDPR employees complained about problems in leadership taking decisions (I think I wrote it somewhere on the forum).

The Glassdoor reviews by ex-devs echo the same things - more time spent on making demos for game shows than on actual game, top brass making decisions whilst having no clue about what the actual development entails and what repercussions those decisions might lead to.

I agree moving the release date would be ridiculous because most people think the game has been in development since 2013 when it was teased unaware that the actual development started some time in 2016.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if they postpone it - after all they have large reserves of fan loyalty who’ll defend this choice while carefully ignoring the publicity train that’s running out of steam.

It’s now resembling original Rage launch more and more. And that’s what John Carmack said about Rage and I’m paraphrasing here: “we should’ve released it one year earlier because the more time we spent on it the more obsolete the game got by release”.

Last edited:
The Glassdoor reviews by ex-devs echo the same things - more time spent on making demos for game shows than on actual game, top brass making decisions whilst having no clue about what the actual development entails and what repercussions those decisions might lead to.

I agree moving the release date would be ridiculous because most people think the game has been in development since 2013 when it was teased unaware that the actual development started some time in 2016.

But I wouldn’t be surprised if they postpone it - after all they have large reserves of fan loyalty who’ll defend this choice while carefully ignoring the publicity train that’s running out of steam.

It’s now resembling original Rage launch more and more. And that’s what John Carmack said about Rage and I’m paraphrasing here: “we should’ve released it one year earlier because the more time we spent on it the more obsolete the game got by release”.
The closer it gets to next gen console release, the more people will hesitate on buying/complain about "cashing in" if there is a separate next gen version. Releasing earlier in the year, they avoid some of that.

I mean one doesn't exclude the other.

True, and I’m not trying to scold the effort. In my eyes ”not featurecomplete yet” is actually a land of opportunitues. But on the outset it might look more like determined and somewhat unselfaware (is that an actual word?) overachieving, or, in the worst case scenario I mentioned, desperation.

it might look more like determined and somewhat unselfaware (is that an actual word?) overachieving,

Overachieving seems to be the running theme with CDPR as they are constantly shooting for more than they could reach. Think the Witcher 1 game world size, the Witcher 3 graphic fidelity. In some cases it’s a good thing that they try to broaden the confines they have to work in but in other cases it might lead to spectacular failures.

Posts deleted. Topic is Media News and Previews. Not yet-again gameplay flaws.

I see more than a half-dozen or so posts on gameplay after a recent media post or preview, deletion is quite likely. IF the post is directly and very clearly linked to the media being referenced, less likely. As soon as we start to see the general-issue and gameplay-issue and dev-issue posts roll in, chop.

We have multiple gameplay threads and the Forlorn Hope.

Someone coming here can expect to mostly see links to CDPR media, not lengthy discussion of lack of innovation or Glassdoor reviews.

'We don't want to show the broaders public due to spoilers'

*Proceeds to do trade shows the world over.
they're showing it in italy as well in these very days. I could've gone but I refuse to pay trainS + convention ticket + ridiculous queue and waste 1 or 2 days (in that case I need to add a freaking expensive hotel room to the sum) to see a gameplay video they could easily upload on youtube in 10 minutes. I still have dignity FFS. Also, with the game being released relatively soon and no point in giving feedback, it's definetely not worth it.

They say silverhand will be dubbed by keanu reeves' usual actor, who is the best we have around. Probably gonna play it in english anyway though, something tells me that different dialects (ie vodoo boys) won't be kept in the translation, as they never are.

@Shavod maybe you're right: they're showing it in every single voice over first and then release it. But I'm still very doubtful they want to let us do some proper analysis of what shown to public after the feedback they received from press/influencers.

Last edited:
'We don't want to show the broader public due to spoilers'

*Proceeds to do trade shows the world over.

I'm not sure I'm following your logic. It's the same thing as private screenings of films before the final cut is done. Test audiences, perhaps a few hundred people in various areas, are brought in to see various cuts of the film. In return, they provide some feedback, but they aren't allowed to speak about it publicly. (Don't want to spoil the story -- this is theatre! ) It creates a little bit of excitement and publicity as many of the viewers can give some teasers in the form of articles or reactions without disclosing details. This happens all the time.

That's very, very different than showing numerous trailers or gameplay segments over time and uploading them all to the internet so that millions of people view them all and start making deductions about some of the plot and character arcs. Ruins the energy.

I'm not sure I'm following your logic. It's the same thing as private screenings of films before the final cut is done. Test audiences, perhaps a few hundred people in various areas, are brought in to see various cuts of the film. In return, they provide some feedback, but they aren't allowed to speak about it publicly. (Don't want to spoil the story -- this is theatre! ) It creates a little bit of excitement and publicity as many of the viewers can give some teasers in the form of articles or reactions without disclosing details. This happens all the time.

That's very, very different than showing numerous trailers or gameplay segments over time and uploading them all to the internet so that millions of people view them all and start making deductions about some of the plot and character arcs. Ruins the energy.
Didn't ruin the energy for TW3.

Didn't ruin the energy for TW3.

Nor did they ever go into detail about what would happen, the way the story would unfold, how the side quests would work, etc.

For Cyberpunk, just speculating here, but I'm guessing we're in for some major twists and turns. I imagine it may be like The Usual Suspects: there's actually very little about that plot that you can share without completely destroying the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom