E3 2019 & post-E3 2019 - Media News & Previews

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
fai enough.

But would you like to bet that nobody at the hands on will try what I suggested (= try to play not exactly how the game si supposed to be played, going out of the "invisible" rails?)
Well, they are also planning to have an Cyberpunk prerelease event for the polish community, as they did in the past, during which they usually were able to also play the game before it came out. If I get invited, I will try doing what you said as much as possible and report it back in :D.

This fits here better

What the hell, guys... "premiered to select audience" again? For real? Even after the delay? :facepalm:

I'm really getting hopeless.
Or you could stop taking clickbait bs for real.

1580131784288.png

Or you could stop taking clickbait bs for real.
and how was I supposed to know it's not a clickbait?

I also wonder who promised the new stuff to VG24/7 if it's a marked as a quote. :shrug:

Still, new stuff or not, the last uncut public gameplay is 1 and half year old and not applicable anymore.

Last edited:
and how was I supposed to know it's not a clickbait?

Still, new stuff or not, the last uncut public gameplay is 1 and half year old and not applicable anymore.
So?
How many studios do you know to release 48 minute long demos month, let alone years, before release?

We'll get new stuff between now and release, that's pretty much sure.

I personally wouldn't expect anything big prior to the summer.

So?
How many studios do you know to release 48 minute long demos month, let alone years, before release?
quite a good number, to be honest. Even Anthem, to name the worst case I can think of.

But more importantly, as I've stated several times, my problem is not with stuff not being shown, is with stuff being shown to select audience. But there's no real point in continuing that conversation, since expressing my feelings towards it too many times got me close to a ban.

I agree with no public stuff until summer, even more likely until september. And to select audience? that could happen earlier, but none of my business, I guess. :shrug:

So?

We'll get new stuff between now and release, that's pretty much sure.

I personally wouldn't expect anything big prior to the summer.

And even then, it will still be an action-player oriented video.

This fits here better

What the hell, guys... "premiered to select audience" again? For real? Even after the delay? :facepalm:

I'm really getting hopeless.

My guess is that it's due to the way the internet tends to latch on to details, or statements that may be made, and immediately start a huge smear of negativity. That tends to be more popular and more widely heard than the actual event, and then the studios and producers have to spend extra time and resources clarifying the issue(s), or they'll have to deal with the huge smears of negativity.

Hence, closed doors, limited audiences, specific dos and don'ts, and a much more contained and focused reveal for the demonstration. I think it's far too easy for the wider, world audience to completely misunderstand both the process of development or the way key things are being presented (most especially with the "look" of a game), then choose to bash and flame instead of reason and learn. Enough negative talk will invariably harm the reception and sales of the game (people become subconsciously pre-conditioned to respond negatively). Downside of the immediacy and anonymity of the internet.

But, I'll say this: what we have now is still a lot more publicity and "behind-the-scenes" info during a game's development than we ever had in the past. I mean, even in the early 2000s, we'd get an announcement, a few articles published in gaming magazines a couple of years later, and maybe a short trailer or gameplay video right before the release. That would be it for the whole dev cycle.

quite a good number, to be honest. Even Anthem, to name the worst case I can think of.

But more importantly, as I've stated several times, my problem is not with stuff not being shown, is with stuff being shown to select audience. But there's no real point in continuing that conversation, since expressing my feelings towards it too many times got me close to a ban.

I agree with no public stuff until summer, even more likely until september. And to select audience? that could happen earlier, but none of my business, I guess. :shrug:

The thing is the "secret public showcase" gameplay, I've seen it, is honnestly just not good enough for a public display.
Looks like a 2005 random fps...
Lots of work to do, obviously, CDPR won't admit it publicly either "heh sorry guys, the design part was fun but we struggle AF to make a fun game out of it".

The mission is about you, doing a deal with the voodoo boys, there is a few rp scenes (more like fallout 4, yes/no/maybe).
Then, the mission is basicaly basix, go there, shoot, solve the objective.

It's not bad in itself (if the game lengh is like 20h) but no way i'm doing this for +100hours.

Ok, it's still work in progress, and it's just a demo mission, but as it is, I join with a few people who criticize the gameplay mecanics, it feels super generic.

Honnestly, I still wait this game, but there's lots of work to do...

The thing is the "secret public showcase" gameplay, I've seen it, is honnestly just not good enough for a public display.
Looks like a 2005 random fps...
Lots of work to do, obviously, CDPR won't admit it publicly either "heh sorry guys, the design part was fun but we struggle AF to make a fun game out of it".

The mission is about you, doing a deal with the voodoo boys, there is a few rp scenes (more like fallout 4, yes/no/maybe).
Then, the mission is basicaly basix, go there, shoot, solve the objective.

It's not bad in itself (if the game lengh is like 20h) but no way i'm doing this for +100hours.

Ok, it's still work in progress, and it's just a demo mission, but as it is, I join with a few people who criticize the gameplay mecanics, it feels super generic.

Honnestly, I still wait this game, but there's lots of work to do...
Well, I saw that demo too and I completely disagree. I don't think this demo was any worse for the display then the previous one, in fact in some ways I would say it was better, since it showcased the alternate paths and different gameplay mechanics more then previous one.

The mission itself wasn't also nearly as straightforward as you try to make it to be. You could talk with Voodoo Boys in front of the Hall to get another objective, which could potentially open a new path for you to follow, talk with Placide on another matter, unrelated to the quest at hand, that could yield different results, there was a couple of different entry points, couple off different ways you could get through the location, some other events that looked like you could participate in for a different outcome, and some other ways for you to avoid combat situations altogether.

As for the gunplay, outside of the stiff combat animations when using that ripped off stationary gun and some melee animations on the enemies part during the shootout, I would say it looked pretty solid, definitely much better then FPS from 2005.

As for the gunplay, outside of the stiff combat animations when using that ripped off stationary gun and some melee animations on the enemies part during the shootout, I would say it looked pretty solid...

That's a perfect example of something that people might react poorly to. Personally, I don't think that these things are done yet. I think the slug-fest with Sasquatch and V's takedown of the Netwatch agent are more indicative of what the final polish will look like overall. Many of the animations for the combat could have been placeholder things.

Fanboys will love the game and its features and clap their hands nodding in agreement no matter what it is actually like. The contrarians will do the opposite.

The truth is somewhere in the middle, for better or for worse.

The mission itself wasn't also nearly as straightforward as you try to make it to be. You could talk with Voodoo Boys in front of the Hall to get another objective, which could potentially open a new path for you to follow, talk with Placide on another matter

About that, I really hope will not forcibly be a ganger lover the same way Fallout 4 character made us a family guy.

My guess is that it's due to the way the internet tends to latch on to details, or statements that may be made, and immediately start a huge smear of negativity. That tends to be more popular and more widely heard than the actual event, and then the studios and producers have to spend extra time and resources clarifying the issue(s), or they'll have to deal with the huge smears of negativity.

I get what you're saying but this happens anyway. Even if content is shown to a handful of game journalists or bloggers they'll run with it and often translate it to something it isn't. A lot of this behavior could be mitigated by adjusting the way the information is presented. Instead of, "We're doing this, but it's a work in progress", they could cut straight to, "This is the overall vision, how we intend mechanic A, B or C to look and this is where we are now with it.".

Yeah, the undesirable behavior is still probably going to happen. But again, it does anyway. Yes, developers routinely do present the information in this manner too. They slap work in progress on it, stress it, reiterate it, and when it's all said and done yell it at the top of their lungs again for good measure. At least when they do this across the board and are more open about their intentions with a game in development it's out there. When it's not out there people speculate. The speculation is arguably just as bad if not worse.

Fanboys will love the game and its features and praise it to high heavens no matter what it is like. The contrarians will do the opposite.

Yeah, pretty much. The same could be said for most things.

That's a perfect example of something that people might react poorly to. Personally, I don't think that these things are done yet. I think the slug-fest with Sasquatch and V's takedown of the Netwatch agent are more indicative of what the final polish will look like overall. Many of the animations for the combat could have been placeholder things.

Actually that would have been a perfect reason to make a RP mechanics oriented video instead of another action player oriented one (and the next one I bet).

Fanboys will love the game and its features and clap their hands nodding in agreement no matter what it is actually like. The contrarians will do the opposite.

Yeah. I expect there will be a great many things I really love about the game, others I'm merely "OK" with, and some I strongly dislike. Just as there was with the Witcher 3.

It is at least a step up from the Witcher 3 on the RPG side of things, so I believe those mechanics will be in "OK" territory, unless they have some surprise I'm not aware of.

Well, we'll have a better idea of what to expect closer to release, when hands-on demos begin.

I get what you're saying but this happens anyway. Even if content is shown to a handful of game journalists or bloggers they'll run with it and often translate it to something it isn't. A lot of this behavior could be mitigated by adjusting the way the information is presented. Instead of, "We're doing this, but it's a work in progress", they could cut straight to, "This is the overall vision, how we intend mechanic A, B or C to look and this is where we are now with it.".

Yeah, the undesirable behavior is still probably going to happen. But again, it does anyway. Yes, developers routinely do present the information in this manner too. They slap work in progress on it, stress it, reiterate it, and when it's all said and done yell it at the top of their lungs again for good measure. At least when they do this across the board and are more open about their intentions with a game in development it's out there. When it's not out there people speculate. The speculation is arguably just as bad if not worse.

Personally, I agree. My own philosophy is to open the doors and share the creative process with people. Highlight issues with development and let everyone see the process it takes to get things from inception to release. Professionally, however, there are many problems with this:

1.) Stagnation. The more people learn about the same thing, the more they tend to lose interest. And, frankly, from what day-to-day development stuff I have seen first hand, it can be really, really boring.
"Hey, Marty! Whatcha doing today?"
"Ah...just writing in the code for the door system."
"The...doors?"
"Yup."
"You mean, like, doors in the game?"
"Yup."
"Doors that open and close when you walk through them?"
"Yup. Needs to work when NPCs use them, too."
"Okay...how long do you think that's going to take?"
"For this region? Couple of weeks, maybe."
"Doing doors?"
"Yup."
"Okay. Bye, Marty!"

2.) Leaks. Open-door policies like this mean that someone might accidentally reveal something that's not supposed to be revealed. And of course, once one person in public knows, everyone knows.

3.) Theatre! People love awesome surprises, and the effect a game will have on an audience is largely going to come down to their first viewing of it. If they already know what to expect...

4.) Bullying. It's hard enough to do really intensive work like this. Lots of ideas won't be used. It would be a lot harder if you had endless rows of masked faces mocking and ridiculing the artist hundreds of times a day whenever they come up with something that doesn't quite work.

5.) It's people's livelihoods. An avalanche of negativity is often enough to give investors (or sometimes even the creator themselves) cold feet. Too much could spell doom for an entire project and everyone working on it.

So, it's always safer to be hush-hush. I'd still want to find a happy medium, though. I believe that the development process is so widespread now that it would be a great idea to bring the world into understanding exactly what does go into it.

About that, I really hope will not forcibly be a ganger lover the same way Fallout 4 character made us a family guy.
There was an option to betray Voodoo Boys and ally yourself with NetWatch instead in the end of the demo. In fact, Netwatch agent, Bryce Mosley, was portrayed (in the demo at least) as much nicer and more reasonable guy then any of the Voodoo Boys. If I was the one playing, I would most likely join him.

@SigilFey I believe we are eventually going to reach a point, perhaps in the near future, where game development is so open and transparent that there will no longer be a flood of negativity when an early look at a game doesn't look like it used to.

What we're seeing right now in the modern era is a clash of ideas based on people's experiences and the environment they grew up in. And I'm specifically referring to video games here, nothing else.

Some people are used to this new "game is WIP, subject to change, etc. etc." stuff (note -- by new I mean it's only just now becoming transparent, not that it never existed before) because they grew up with it. Just like smartphones or computers or whatever.

No matter what, of course, people are adaptable, so please don't take this as any form of "ageism." Age doesn't even need to factor in -- two 30 year old people can have completely different life experiences and exposure to different cultures, technology, etc.

There was an option to betray Voodoo Boys and ally yourself with NetWatch instead in the end of the demo. In fact, Netwatch agent, Bryce Mosley, was portrayed (in the demo at least) as much nicer and more reasonable guy then any of the Voodoo Boys. If I was the one playing, I would most likely join him.

Problem is to betray the Voodoo Boys you have to work with them which should not happens if you hate gangers to begins with....
Plus there is Jackie which comes from the Valentinos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom