EA/BioWare's Origin WILL be a mandate for ME3, CD Projekt RED now has my business for life.

+
EA/BioWare's Origin WILL be a mandate for ME3, CD Projekt RED now has my business for life.

Well late in the day just before the weekend distractions it was announced on BioWare's forums that Mass Effect 3 will be requiring the installation of the spyware, I mean Origin.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/323/index/8975536

This last year EA/BioWare has done one thing after another to drive away their loyal customers. From the Dragon Age team putting out a sub-standard project then repeatedly blaming the fans for not liking it to switching EADM to Origin and giving themselves free access to their customers computers, even to the point of restricting access to their customers previously purchased digital downloads until the new terms were agreed to.

Many people have posted that they canceled their pre-orders and I don't blame them. I however will be doing what others will be doing, keeping my pre-order but locking Origin in a sandbox to prevent it from data mining my PC. I also will never buy another BioWare/EA game again as long as they stay committed to this path of arrogance and entitlement for merely providing a few moments of entertainment. In fact the only reason I didn't cancel my pre-order outright is that I understand the actions of the company are not necessarily the actions supported by Casey Hudson and the rest of the Mass Effect team that just wanted to make a fun and interesting game series.

CD Projekt RED I liked the Witcher 1, it was ok, fun sure, but just ok for me. The Witcher 2 was a lot better and very fun but still just another game to me. LOVED the graphics and story, but it was just a game at the end of the day. Then CD Projekt RED did what hasn't been done in a long time, they just sold me their game once, not 12 times with bits of DLC landing every few weeks that asked for another $10 until a $50 game soon became a $200 game. Then they removed the DRM just to allow their customers a better gaming experience.

CD Projekt RED I say this with 100 percent honesty, you have earned my business for life this year. Any game you put out I will buy. You have more than earned it. When the gaming industry continues to head down a path of charging more and providing less and less with every game you stood out as an example of what a great company should be.

CDP is one of the best game developers out there, bar none. BioWare is becoming more and more like its parent company, EA, while EA is itself is becoming more like what BioWare used to be, outside of Origin.

What I can say about EA is that I have only had good experience with their customer service, with BioWare I cannot say the same.

CymTyr said:
What I can say about EA is that I have only had good experience with their customer service.

Ditto about the EA customer service. They have always been epic to me when I needed help.

Well, it wasn't totally unexpected. EA sees Valve having success with it and want a piece of the pie. They made the decision to buy an EA game on PC very easy to make for me, though. I don't like to be forced to install some stupid digital distribution client where I need to ask permission every goddamn time in order to play the game that I legally acquired, whether it's Steam, Origin, Impulse, etc.

If CDP (Red) sticks to his guns about DRM I'll buy their games, as long as they're good that is.

Dragoonlordz said:
Ditto about the EA customer service. They have always been epic to me when I needed help.

You mean with their zero multiplayer support for RTS games, almost zero support on the Bioware titles right?

People had to use cracks on DLC to play the ones they had bought in Dragon Age: Origins ( it only got fixed a few months ago ), it was quite a big problem, plus other issues such as loading times, Animation slowdown etc. None of these got really fixed.

Also don't get me started on the MESS Battlefield 3 was on launch.

Forum veteran
How to describe this feeling? It's like when you're dating someone and then break it off, but sometimes think back and wonder if you made the right decision. I mean, she was certainly attractive and fun to be around. Maybe you made a mistake by leaving.

Then you find out that she went crazy and shaved her head, butchered eleven people with a meat cleaver, and got a full-body cheetah-print tattoo. That's what this feels like.

yayodeanno said:
So? Is Origin that different from Steam for instance?

Similar as no two companies are identical below is a link to the Origin privacy policy
http://www.ea.com/privacy-policy

Also the sale terms
http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/termsofsale/US/en/PC/

Looking forward to very, very used or rented PS3 version, the giant Mech's Halo style are worth enduring just for the sake of the first game anyway.

Also Sandboxing can get one anyway banned, and does nothing when the machine enters safe mode anyway.

MisterMida said:
Well, it wasn't totally unexpected. EA sees Valve having success with it and want a piece of the pie. They made the decision to buy an EA game on PC very easy to make for me, though. I don't like to be forced to install some stupid digital distribution client where I need to ask permission every goddamn time in order to play the game that I legally acquired, whether it's Steam, Origin, Impulse, etc.

If CDP (Red) sticks to his guns about DRM I'll buy their games, as long as they're good that is.

Oh hai, is it the same Mister Mida from the BSN? :p

And I agree with the OP, I will not cancel my preorder, I'll run Origin from a sandbox.

Oh and here is a guide for the sandbox thing: link

gregski said:
Any tips how to do it?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.315502-Poll-Sandboxing-E-A-Origin-And-did-it-work-for-you

Also Chief. posted a link to a different walk-through that seems good too.

The people that appear to be having issues with sandboxing Origin seem to all be people who are trying to access multiplayer in BF3 but there are enough forum posts on sandboxie.com from people who ran into the same issue and found ways to fix it. If all else fails you just Google "sandboxie origin" and you will get all the info you need.

gregski said:
Also Sandboxing can get one anyway banned, and does nothing when the machine enters safe mode anyway.

Not true, at least at the moment. Sandboxing doesn't change or modify Origin itself or the games that come with it, which would be grounds for EA to hand out bans, it simply alters your computer.

As one poster so eloquently put it before the topic once again was locked and deleted 'Sandboxing Origin doesn't stop the crazy stalker from breaking into your house/pc but it does keep him locked in the basement where all he can do is scan himself and ME3"

Oh well, another game I've been looking forward to and can't buy now... :mad:
Just like I'd actually like to buy Skyrim right now, but I am oldfashioned enough to believe that noone is entitled to force me to use an online platform (that gets to keep full control over my game and data) for an offline singleplayer game, duh!

I have 3 clients installed on my PC due to recent games I've bought. Because I'm unwillng to pirate, I'm forced to have this shit on my hard drive. Enough is enough. I'm sick of this business practice.

Aver

Forum veteran
I don't care about it. I cared about it when I had to install steam for first time to be able to play game. Now I don't care because:
a) it's not that annoying,
c) I can't do anything about it,
d) I still want to play games.

There is no b because emoticon shows up :D

So it seems my decision was right, I just kicked away a browsergame from EA and I also placed my DA Mod in an icy cavern. I also didn't buy a game from Ubisoft 'cause it's forcing to make an account for an offline game which can't be played offline when you are not online. ^^

I will not allow such companies to force me installing a spyware (or similiar) on my computer where they can happily search my harddisc for useful informations or other things.

Seems it was ok for me to get back to CDPR and other "smaller", more unknown companies to find my salvation there, no one needs EA or Ubisoft, there are so many good games out these days without forcing me to do things I won't do... time to play those now.

Top Bottom