Each time hotfix is released - Verifying integrity of files Steam query

+
Each time there is a hotfix released so far, and I decide to verify integrity of files - I need to redownload a big chunk of the game, between 15-26-30GB - is there any particular reason why?
I have preloaded game on launch, should I delete it and redownload?
Game ran fine after recent update but for safe measures validated files as per first hotfixes which made game run better and once again got to download 14GB.

Not really complaining as it doesn't necessarily bother me but never since such thing with any other game and trying to get my head around it.

Each time there is a hotfix released so far, and I decide to verify integrity of files - I need to redownload a big chunk of the game, between 15-26-30GB - is there any particular reason why?
I have preloaded game on launch, should I delete it and redownload?
Game ran fine after recent update but for safe measures validated files as per first hotfixes which made game run better and once again got to download 14GB.

Not really complaining as it doesn't necessarily bother me but never since such thing with any other game and trying to get my head around it.

I have a similar situation. For the 1.06 patch, Steam downloaded around 1GB then installed it. After that it started downloading 8 GB of content. That was very confusing considering the update only involved minimal changes? I decided to verify integrity of game files before that 8GB download had finished and now Steam wants to download 48GBs instead! This is a big problem for me as I have a slow download speed and a limited data pool on my plan.
The only reason I can think of as to why we may need to redownload huge chunks is that the server decides to chuck out all the old files/folders that may have been changed rather that just make small edits to them. I guess in my case there was around 85% of the game that had been changed or added since I preloaded?

The only reason I can think of as to why we may need to redownload huge chunks is that the server decides to chuck out all the old files/folders that may have been changed rather that just make small edits to them. I guess in my case there was around 85% of the game that had been changed or added since I preloaded?

Realistically, it depends on the way game was made/architecture/code quality(maybe?) used, some games allow for updates within files while other re-download them all in full... (Like Overwatch for instance - but they make more separate files working together as opposed to lesser amount but bigger game files, hence updates usually aren't as big)
(Never had game automatically start another update post download of hotfix though.)

I get that, and I can see that it says that it finds some files missing or corrupted.
I just want to know why updates corrupt them, or whether they're actually corrupted and validating files is necessary at this point?

my friend and I were having this same conversation earlier today about this hotfix and the last one, His game is on GoG, mine on steam, the 1.05 hotfix was 9gb according to him, my steam one was 1.7gb, with a further 7gb after verifying, so I'm wondering if it's the way steam compress files or something...either way our total download equalled the same, maybe it is wise to verify after steam updates. 1.06 was 2gb and a further 7gb after verifying this time for me.

my friend and I were having this same conversation earlier today about this hotfix and the last one, His game is on GoG, mine on steam, the 1.05 hotfix was 9gb according to him, my steam one was 1.7gb, with a further 7gb after verifying, so I'm wondering if it's the way steam compress files or something...either way our total download equalled the same, maybe it is wise to verify after steam updates. 1.06 was 2gb and a further 7gb after verifying this time for me.

Yeah and here comes the subject of inconsistency - I had to download 14.6GB for this update (Additional to initial hotfix post file verifying), 24.6GB last one and I think 34.7GB or around that size for the one before, while others were reporting much smaller downloads post verifying files with only few having close or matching sizes.

Thats what makes me wonder really

Realistically, it depends on the way game was made/architecture/code quality(maybe?) used, some games allow for updates within files while other re-download them all in full... (Like Overwatch for instance - but they make more separate files working together as opposed to lesser amount but bigger game files, hence updates usually aren't as big)
(Never had game automatically start another update post download of hotfix though.)

I get that, and I can see that it says that it finds some files missing or corrupted.
I just want to know why updates corrupt them, or whether they're actually corrupted and validating files is necessary at this point?
I guess I just misunderstood your original post. But in regards to my issue, I have found a solution for my now large download. With my current Internet provider, I can choose a AUD$5 add on to my prepaid mobile data plan for unlimited data for the day. well worth it considering my other options.

I guess I just misunderstood your original post. But in regards to my issue, I have found a solution for my now large download. With my current Internet provider, I can choose a AUD$5 add on to my prepaid mobile data plan for unlimited data for the day. well worth it considering my other options.
Hm not sure, you made your point that is relevant - about game downloading initial patch then wanting to download more, essentially thats what Im trying to work out here.

Happy to hear that you found a workaround for unlimited data!

Not sure about AUS, but would it now be more cost effective to get some unlimited sim contract plan and tether it?
Im doing just that in UK - Got a contract for unlimited mins/txts/data for 5G and tethering it to use as internet access on my laptop - works fine for downloading and playing online!

Top Bottom