Early Release?

+
Cyberpunk 2077 has just been sent for age classification around the world. If memory serves me correctly The Witcher 3 was rated in February 2015 and released in May 2015 which was only 4 months. Could we be getting an early release in June/July?

Theoretically they probably would be done working on it, but the summer window can be lousy for sales, thus the move to September
Actually I was just thinking about this. With current situation I would say the Summer doesn't have to be so bad anymore.

They didn't want to release the game in Summer because people aren't at home, they are on vacations, people don't read the news and are just relaxing.

But when you look at the current situation I doubt that a lot of people will be going on vacations, won't read the news and won't be at home.
Lately we've been seeing games breaking their all time peaks.

1584275572402.png

Of course there's possibility that in September the situation will get better. But there's also possibility that the situation will get worse because longer we wait, more people get sick.

Still I would say it's worth consideration.

I mean, looking at how cities and countries are being quarantined, big movie premieres are being rescheduled, vacations canceled one can wonder if summer, previously bad season for video game sales, now just unrivaled field for any sort of entertainment. No, I understand that the release is in September. But just look at this summer of 2020, god, why cant i bring myself back to 2007.

My guess would be that they'll use the time they said they would take. It's going to be a gigantic game, and of course, there will be issues that crop up and features that won't make it to the final cut. Even if they do 100% finish everything with time to spare, no reason not to utilize that time to polish and playtest.

Then again, who knows. Until the reality occurs, anything is possible! :)

An earlier release would be even more ridiculous than another delay. It would be like screaming to the world "we have no idea of what we're doing".

EDIT: I forgot: not gonna happen.

Last edited:
An earlier release would be even more ridiculous than another delay. It would be like screaming to the world "we have no idea of what we're doing".

EDIT: I forgot: not gonna happen.

Marketed appropriately and it would be well received by the majority.
Tell me you wouldnt be playing cyberpunk 2077 if it came out early :ohstopit:

I would LOVE for a game developer to postpone their original launch date for "polishing" and then suprise me with "we busted our humps and finished ahead of schedule. 'Insert long awaited game title here' will be released directly."

Considering the global pandemic and isolation, there is a little more free time to go round for in home entertainment.

Just my 2 bits

Marketed appropriately and it would be well received by the majority.
Tell me you wouldnt be playing cyberpunk 2077 if it came out early :ohstopit:

I would LOVE for a game developer to postpone their original launch date for "polishing" and then suprise me with "we busted our humps and finished ahead of schedule. 'Insert long awaited game title here' will be released directly."

Considering the global pandemic and isolation, there is a little more free time to go round for in home entertainment.

Just my 2 bits
I haven't said people wouldn't buy it, I said it would sound like they don't know what they're doing. Their team leaders, producers, whoever, have already failed to evaluate development times for 2 games and more than once for each of them (W3 was delayed twice after the release date was announced and still was bugged at hell when released, CP77 was internally delayed from late 2019 to april and then again to september). This affects the company's credibility not only to players, but to investors as well.

Also, I want to hope the quarantine won't be needed anymore in summer.

Furhtermore, who said the game will be ready before september? Just because content is ready? And let's hope coronavirus doesn't get endemic in Poland as well, not for CDPR or CP77, but for people in general.

I haven't said people wouldn't buy it, I said it would sound like they don't know what they're doing. Their team leaders, producers, whoever, have already failed to evaluate development times for 2 games and more than once for each of them (W3 was delayed twice after the release date was announced and still was bugged at hell when released, CP77 was internally delayed from late 2019 to april and then again to september). This affects the company's credibility not only to players, but to investors as well.

Also, I want to hope the quarantine won't be needed anymore in summer.

Furhtermore, who said the game will be ready before september? Just because content is ready? And let's hope coronavirus doesn't get endemic in Poland as well, not for CDPR or CP77, but for people in general.
I would say they would be able to release the game in Summer. From their conference call in January it sounded like September is more than enough, but because Summer is time where people go on vacations and aren't at home mostly, it would be bad idea to release the game at that time. So I would say the September isn't really "We need that much time" but "We won't do it sooner because we want to maximize the sales"

But situation changed and I doubt people would start to question CDPRs credibility if they would release the game early. I can hear them and myself already choking on that... well. And investors would be happy because there are more people at home currently breaking records which means more money.

I see this as an absolute win.

I could also pre-order the game already because I now know, I won't be buying physical copy.

Ahhhhhhh, I can see how that was miscommunicated. I didnt mean marketing as in people buying the game, we all are getting it lol. An early release "marketed appropriately" would be well received by those who have preordered or waited several years for the game to come after being slightly disappointed by the delay earlier this year.

Furhtermore, who said the game will be ready before september?

Certainly not me.
Like my late daddy always told me. "Son, wish in one hand and shit in the other. Tell me which gets full first."

[...] Could we be getting an early release in June/July?

Assuming CDPR polishes the game to "Red Dead Redemption 2 levels of perfection" before September and the current crisis is still in effect, I can see there being a very slim possibility of CDPR showing us a case of mercy and releasing it early. But it's a very slim slither of hope.

Best to get used to the (currently approx.) 157 days left countdown...and lower your expectations for the game.
It's probably the best way to deal with the wait.

On a side note, should we expect the time for the game to be released: September 17, 2020 at 12:00am PDT (UTC -7)?

On a side note, should we expect the time for the game to be released: September 17, 2020 at 12:00am PDT (UTC -7)?
I've seen people saying the game will be out on the 16th for them, which would indicate no. Most likely at midnight Warsaw time (which will still be CEST so UTC +2) on the 17th since CDPR is, after all, Polish.

Top Bottom