Easy guide for using REDmod?

+

Surma.

Forum regular
(This is not a tutorial... yet... at least until I got enough data to do all the steps to make this work in simplified way as possible)

I'd like this to be a discussion thread since I'm a new to modding scene. With the release of RedMod I got interested of seeing what I can do with the game. As far as I understand with RedMod, you're able to run mods created by others without having to install any other mod support tools (correct me if I'm wrong).

I tried to search any easy guide and there's nothing I could find that is simple enough for a guy like me (casual gamer, not a modder, I know some programming skills but not experienced with game programming, aside few html-scripts you might have seen me post here), with steps 1,2,3,4 and getting things done and running, not doing throughout explanation of all the quirks and just making it as simple that 9 year old could make mods work. My life situation as parent and daily worker kinda prevents me from reading 20 hours of documentary and actually having calmness and patience understand it, so if someone would be able to help me out here, that'd be more than welcome.

So I'd love create here the simplest guide for PC users as far as I understand it with least amount of steps, though I don't know all the steps. (help me fix this)

1. Installing
Cyberpunk 2077 REDmod can be found in both Steam and GOG
(REDMod currently includes: redscript, red4ext, ArchiveXL, Native Settings UI, Mod Settings, TweakXL, Input Loader, etc. according to NexusMods, thus requiring no further installations to make mods work.)

2. Enabling mods
To enable mod support, simply click the gear looking icon next to play button and make sure "enable mods" is turned ON.

1662567459489.png

3. Finding the mod you want
There's NexusMods, but requires you to register to download mods, it's free though.
(Any other website, maybe something supported by CDPR and wouldn't require registration?)

4. Copying Mods into Cyberpunk 2077\mods folder
For Steam, Cyberpunk is typically installed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\
For GOG, Cyberpunk is typically installed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\

5. Enabling a specific mod (missing data)
You can handle deployment of the mods by using REDlauncher (the window shown above) after putting your files into Cyberpunk 2077/mods folder.

Missing data:
  • Which mods are compatible, is somekind of mechanism to check last known working version and mod creators / others to verify mod compatibility with patch?
  • Risks of overwriting game files? Is there ways for mod creators to get easy feedback if they have an error in code?
  • Lets say the mod name is "Vehicle Combat" in this example, there doesn't appear to be installing instructions for the mod in the files themselves, should there be? This should be more clear and leave it less for consumers to think how things work as most are not game programmers (or at least that's the intention of the whole modding scene in the end)
  • How to bring up console? I tried running all sorts of commands to bring console up. "¨´``´***¨¨ ¨^~~~" and nothing, am I missing something? Am I supposed to run RedMod manually in background or something to enable scripts? Where can I change keybinding to bring up ability to give text prompts?
  • And when I finally do get the console on, do I need to run text prompts like "install [MOD_NAME]"? What other commands are there? Any website/command list I could put to help others? Is there --help command or something that'd bring up the most used commands? Examples how to run commands?
  • Removing mods, lets say MOD_A rewrite some basic code of character skin, and now you want to return the character to it's original clothes. Maybe upon removal there could be some kind of way to check which files were influenced by given mod.

Last edited:

Hreich

Forum regular
Thanks for this post...First i had problem downloading REDMOD from GOG - i couldnt find it under my DLC options...Then i didnt know how to enable mod support, your picture explained it just fine

Surma.

Forum regular
Thanks for this post...First i had problem downloading REDMOD from GOG - i couldnt find it under my DLC options...Then i didnt know how to enable mod support, your picture explained it just fine
Good to know I managed to help in that part. Let me know if you figure out the rest :) still trying to figure things out.

Anyone else who's done modding could help with the remaining steps?
Post automatically merged:

According to documentation:
"You can handle deployment and load order with the REDlauncher that comes with the game"

But I don't see any option to deploy the mod I downloaded. (Vehicle Combat)
Maybe I installed it wrong...? Should there me more options with the "enable mods" tag, perhaps listing all the mods you could enable/disable?

Last edited:
I've been trying to make redmod work, but I never get a new button in the redlauncher. I uninstalled the game, removed all the mods, reinstalled, tried multiple times to download the DLC, but this new button doesn't appear. I guess I'll wait a few months and it'll work?
redlauncher.PNG

I have tried downloading the dlc again and again. Each time I click download, it just launches the redlauncher.
DLCREDMOD.png

I'm kinda fed up with it, and found nothing about this online. I guess I'll try again in a few weeks/months. Anyway there won't be much content at the moment.

Last edited:
I've been trying to make redmod work, but I never get a new button in the redlauncher. I uninstalled the game, removed all the mods, reinstalled, tried multiple times to download the DLC, but this new button doesn't appear. I guess I'll wait a few months and it'll work?
View attachment 11317874

I have tried downloading the dlc again and again. Each time I click download, it just launches the redlauncher. View attachment 11317880
I'm kinda fed up with it, and found nothing about this online. I guess I'll try again in a few weeks/months. Anyway there won't be much content at the moment.
Not very familiar with Steam, but in the last screenshot, it seem to me that Redmod is already in your library (so no need to download it again).

Do i need wolvenkit for redmod. or is it as simple as downloading redmod and finding the mods to drop into the folder inside the cyberpunk game directory and enabling them?
sorry if this seems like a dumb question. i've only recently started looking into this after completing the story and wanting more of the game. so i'm looking at let there be flight the more immersive police and gang stuff and anything thatll make it run smoother on my HP 15 "gaming laptop":ROFLMAO:

For anyone who doesn't know an experience modder personally, which is most of us, the only way to start getting into modding is to slowly but surely start modding yourself. And I understand for those of us with day jobs and commitments it can be frustrating because of a lack of time and patience, but it is the only way.

Yes it's gonna be a slow, learn as you go process, but if you keep working at it eventually you might end up being one of the guys creating mods and posting them to Nexusmods.

Start small, a script or two, don't jump in the deep end from the start because it will demoralize you. Alternatively, you could try posting on the modding forums asking for an experienced modder to take you under their wing and teach you.

According to documentation:
"You can handle deployment and load order with the REDlauncher that comes with the game"

But I don't see any option to deploy the mod I downloaded. (Vehicle Combat)
Maybe I installed it wrong...? Should there me more options with the "enable mods" tag, perhaps listing all the mods you could enable/disable?
Based on the documentation it "deploys" them when you enable mods in the launcher. I suspect it just deploys everything it sees in the mods directory (sorted alphabetically by default, according to that doc). More fine-tuned control probably requires using the command line tool included with REDmod, a mod manager, etc.
As far as I can tell the button in the launcher allowing you to enable/disable mods won't show up if your Cyberpunk 2077\mods directory is empty. This is the case on Steam anyway. Probably because the option to enable/disable mods serves no function if no mods exist.
Do i need wolvenkit for redmod. or is it as simple as downloading redmod and finding the mods to drop into the folder inside the cyberpunk game directory and enabling them?
You don't technically need it. Whether you want WK anyway is another matter.

More to the point of your question. Yes, it does appear to be as simple as you've described. Download a REDmod compatible mod, drop it in the mods directory, enable mods in the launcher and run the game. If a mod isn't formatted properly for use with REDmod you install/enable it as you would have prior to REDmod.

Thanks for your reply. i'm planning on giving it a go this afternoon. fingers crossed its as simple as it sounds.

I installed a mod, I thought it's just drag and drop into the mod folder and enabling mod but someone was saying something in the install instructions tab over at Nexus you need to go into archive or something and dupe one of the files and past it into the mod folder. I'm like, seriously? This is more complex than CET or REDscript.

I think someone Needs to do a Youtube tutorial like they have for installing the mods through vortex
the outside thought of going in and fiddling with things that could break the game is slightly offputting. especially without a visual step by step guide

Top Bottom