Edgerunners - the first of many future stories told within Night City?

+
I feel the need to point out Rotten Tomatoes is not an indicator of a shows quality or success. It's nothing more than an aggregator. I'm fairly certain Netflix doesn't care about RT when it comes to their bottom line.
Again Netflix ranking... Surprising, "niche" are quite big... :shrug:

And today, on my Netflix account... So except if in France, we are mostly "anime fans" (I doubt) and mostly in your "niche", Edgerunners seem quite "popular" and with a "large" audience (more large than you seem to think...)
Edgerunners.jpg

Yep :)
In fact, I try to understand why you think that make a new season of Edgerunners is not worth it. When views rankings are pretty good for an anime and, from what I saw here and there, users reviews are also (very) good (I'm quite confident, everyone which was involved got its money back and even fair benefits).
View attachment 11323517
So I wonder what "required level of succes" you think an anime need :)
Because I get that Egderunners don't have the same success of "regular" series like Dahmer, but it will never. That an unreachable goal, like expecting for an "old school isometric RPG" to reach the success of current AAA games as Skyrim/GTA/... It's just impossible.

Because I'm looking at it from a business perspective. Amidst a pretty bad economical scenario we are only beginning to see the effect of. A business who's model is starting to crack. Netflix isn't gaining subscribers, it's losing them for the first time in it's history.

They will want to focus on massively popular shows that bring in audience. Edgerunners is niche. Whether you like it or not, it's an anime which is definitely niche, which makes it almost by definition niche. It's very successful within that niche. No one is denying that. What I'm fairly confident about is that Netflix isn't seeing it as a show that will bring in the audience it wants. A show with such great score that barely breaches 10 million hours viewed on it's second week isn't massively popular.

It's also important to note, like @ShinAkira00 pointed out, that rotten tomato isn't indicative of much. Like I also said earlier, Netflix looks at viewership first and then at opinions. Dahmer has worse reviews but I assure you it definitely showed Netflix people are very hungry for that time of show. John Wayne Gacy is next, I'm almost certain of it.

Again Netflix ranking... Surprising, "niche" are quite big... :

You also keep bringing this up but the truth is that 18 countries.... out of the 190 countries Netflix operates in. That's not even 10% of countries Netflix is in. 18 countries is not that impressive.

Just because a show is niche doesn't mean it can't be popular. It only means it's aimed at a very particular section of the market. Edgerunners is definitely popular within that section of the market.

EDIT: Also, that list is not accurate. @Sardukhar didn't post any link that I can see. It got to top 10 in my country too, which isn't on that list. Stayed only for a week, or maybe less? Don't know what the criteria is to be on that list. A full week or just reaching top 10?
Post automatically merged:

Your edit was after I posted.

You seem to be saying the fact it's in the top 10 means, by definition, it's not niche but.... Paw Patrol is 2 spots above it. Paw Patrol is definitely aimed squarely at kids. It's niche product - a specialized segment of the market for a particular kind of product or service.

I doubt you're arguing Paw Patrol is somehow "spilling" into other audiences.

Last edited:
They will want to focus on massively popular shows that bring in audience. Edgerunners is niche. Whether you like it or not, it's an anime which is definitely niche, which makes it almost by definition niche. It's very successful within that niche. No one is denying that. What I'm fairly confident about is that Netflix isn't seeing it as a show that will bring in the audience it wants. A show with such great score that barely breaches 10 million hours viewed on it's second week isn't massively popular.
If Netflix compared Edgerunners to "live-action" series, yes it wouldn't be so impressive. But compared to the vast majority of animes available on Netflix, Edgerunners is a big success anyway.
And if Netflix wanted to focuse mainly on "more popular" content, why they still adding animes, indee/old movies or documentaries, it make no sense to me.

But we will see, I'm done here :D
Honeslty, I bet that we will see a new season of Egderunners (on Netflix), as we will see a new season of The Witcher (on Netflix too) :)

Edit :
I doubt you're arguing Paw Patrol is somehow "spilling" into other audiences.
nope :)
But I bet it will have other seasons too^^

View attachment 11323061

I would say it was quite well received, and widely. Germany is interesting, didn't know they were such big Cpunk fans...I blame @MilezZ
There's something important to note there:

Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, three weeks in top 10.

Studio Trigger did the animation and IMO captured visual look and feel of the CP 2077 universe very well, the city, the characters, neon hell that it is, also this was written by Polish writers. The IP (CP 2020) is from the US, Polish took it to other mediums, Japanese animated it. Three weeks top 10 in countries where you can't tread them water because anime is pretty much their home turf.

I'm not going to argument if it's going to get second season or not, but I think CDPR have the cards in their hands to make it like very limited series, OVA and somebody will want to stream it. Their writing sells.

I don't want to intend to offend anyone, but has it ever occurred to people, that there are people who write video games. Then there are people who wrote the Outer Worlds and CP 2077 and yeah, those are video games, but some people in business, can write anything.

There's something important to note there:

Hong Kong, Japan, Taiwan, three weeks in top 10.

Studio Trigger did the animation and IMO captured visual look and feel of the CP 2077 universe very well, the city, the characters, neon hell that it is, also this was written by Polish writers. The IP (CP 2020) is from the US, Polish took it to other mediums, Japanese animated it. Three weeks top 10 in countries where you can't tread them water because anime is pretty much their home turf.

I'm not going to argument if it's going to get second season or not, but I think CDPR have the cards in their hands to make it like very limited series, OVA and somebody will want to stream it. Their writing sells.

I don't want to intend to offend anyone, but has it ever occurred to people, that there are people who write video games. Then there are people who wrote the Outer Worlds and CP 2077 and yeah, those are video games, but some people in business, can write anything.
Someone like who will want to stream it? Aside from the points already mentioned it's Adult anime. That pretty much limits their options as far as major streaming services. You aren't seeing this on Disney+, Apple or Peacock or anything like that. Maybe Amazon is a possibility.

Outside of Netflix their only real options would be something like crunchyroll etc, platforms where the core demographic are anime fans and even that is still unlikely and the production quality would not be the same. Netflix is their best bet. I'm sure they'll work something out but whatever agreement they make CDPR would have to make Netflix a pretty generous offer, where the monetary risk on their part is significantly less.

So I just finished Edgerunners. I definitely enjoyed it, though maybe not as much as other people did as I am not generally a big fan of anime. But the anime medium works wonders for Cyberpunk as it definitely allows some things that a live action could not (e.g. the amount of gore). And the fact that its set in the Cyberpunk world and collaboration btwn CDPR and Trigger means a nice mish mash of Western and Eastern influences (which always ends up being the best animes for me, especially meaning less anime cliches and more serious tones). It good.

I think it could be possible that a couple more stories could be done. I like to consider this series the "Street Kid" lifepath, so maybe a story of someone rising up the corpo ladder and another one about a nomad crew. And tragedy being the core of Cyberpunk definitely is refreshing to the happy endings that dominate mainstream media. Course, doesn't have to be more death necessarily to be a tragedy (e.g. idealistic corpo kid turned to a merciless corpo exec a la Game of Thrones drama), but it should run the same themes of tragedy without repeating the first story.

While Cyberpunk the genre can be a specificly niche market, good animation, good world-building, and good story are not. Present a good story and people will end up watching regardless what type of world it is. Some people I know would've never watched Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad if it wasn't for the fact they were just generally good stories that were well acted. Give them something to relate to, think about, and learn from and I think a couple more stories could be told.

I think some people in the threads really overlook the impact of Cyberpunk Edgerunners. a brand new anime series that abled to massively bring attention to an audiences to play the game is just not an easy feat. Even CDPR themselves were surprised by this. CP2077 Edgerunners hit 1 million players per day & the sales hit 20 million!! That kind of effects from an alternative medium is unheard of!! I would personally argue what CDPR & Studio Trigger did with Cyberpunk Edgerunners is some sort of a miracle & it changed the company strategy in such massive ways that the public can only see it in the future. Based on their latest business stratgey plan, I have no doubt we will see another Cyberpunk anime or even CDPR's own canon Witcher anime in the future.

WHY ANIME??? Why not live action series? I would personally say live action series have a higher risk of failure & the production budgets is certain astronomical. Probably worth another new game. This is very different with anime project, where a high quality anime can be produced with a fraction of a budgets (10-20+ million dollars). CDPR certainly have massive control of the story/plots/lore when it comes to anime projects, unlike live action that likely being muddled by "Hollywood politics." It's very cost effective & can be argue to have a higher impact being a recent new popular medium, breaking mainstream numbers left & right. For comparison, Demon Slayer movie (Mugen Train) cost about USD 15.8 million & it profited USD 504 million!! That's basically record breaking for any kind of animation movie/series & something that would make even Hollywood drooled all over. No Pixar movies every produced a 30x profits. None.

As for Cyberpunk Edgerunners anime sequel, I think there are two possible scenarios. One is a direct sequel & two is an anthology sequel. I would say an anthology sequel make the most sense & have the potentials to bring so many stories or even slighty continue for David & Lucy. For example, this are just exemplary stories that I came up on top of my head in brief minutes:
CP Psycho Squad: about a cyberpsycho who become max-tac & even the story of Melissa Rory.
CP Hotline Trauma: about a character who work in TTI (Trauma Team International) & talks about the morality of this line of work.
CP Nomadic: about a nomads who traveled in badlands & stranded in Night City.
CP Crisis Rhythm: about a rockerboy who struggle to live Night City
CP Chaos's Law: about a hard boiled noir lawman/detective trying to solve the biggest crimes & secrets in Night City.
CP Metal Wars: about the events that happened during Unification War.
CP Dark Future: about the events & legendary characters that happened in CP2020s
CP RABIDS: about important events in cyberspace & the origins of blackwall
CP Firestorm; about the events & characters during fourth corporate war.
CP Panzer Line: about panzerboys trying to survived during & the aftermath of unification war.
CP Tokyopolis: about a booster & an Arasaka corpo who got entwined with a corporate war in Tokyo Metropolis.

etc, etc, etc...
In conclusion, CDPR have many options here & even then we have not yet see the rest of 3 different story scripts that they proposed during early conceptual project with Studio Trigger.

Last edited:
I think it could be possible that a couple more stories could be done. I like to consider this series the "Street Kid" lifepath, so maybe a story of someone rising up the corpo ladder and another one about a nomad crew. And tragedy being the core of Cyberpunk definitely is refreshing to the happy endings that dominate mainstream media. Course, doesn't have to be more death necessarily to be a tragedy (e.g. idealistic corpo kid turned to a merciless corpo exec a la Game of Thrones drama), but it should run the same themes of tragedy without repeating the first story.
Well, if you look things about the genre, it's in the game already, or say demonstration. I'm reposting but just think this as a show:

...take 6th Street Gang for example.

They are mostly war veterans. We learn via other missions that state doesn't give a damn about them and 6th Street, while wearing NUSA colors and that, like to appear principled but they are just another criminal organization and eliminate external and internal threats to their ghetto pharmacy etc. business. What makes this particularly interesting is that not only that kind of thing could happen in similar conditions, it empirically did in the Soviet Union with their veterans from the Soviet - Afghanistan war. They made Russian mafia became whole a lot a different level player that it was, sometimes hijacking entire existing gangs and turning them to their own business (who were ones to take advantage of their situation).

Game also gives as a scenario with private armies and rises a question about what about those who get fucked in those organizations. Who in the end pays the bill, because if it's not corp (which may conveniently fold to avoid long term liabilities) the bill for society still can happens if/when those vets take what they need, maybe failing, but bill might be still there in blood.

I think there's lots of audience for this game that doesn't talk. It's that if you are attracted by this kind of detail and appreciation for real world matters, it might be a difficult to connect with parts of audience who also appreciate story aspects but are to fan fiction and romances. It's not that the latter are bad things, it's that there just isn't much common ground to have a conversation.

While Cyberpunk the genre can be a specificly niche market, good animation, good world-building, and good story are not. Present a good story and people will end up watching regardless what type of world it is. Some people I know would've never watched Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad if it wasn't for the fact they were just generally good stories that were well acted. Give them something to relate to, think about, and learn from and I think a couple more stories could be told.

Good story... yeah. There's limited amount of people on this planet that can do that and frankly, the US haven't been on the map for ages for their size. It's not that they don't have able writers, it's a matter that they just don't appear to want them. It's weird, I don't know, so don't ask me.

If you look at the CP 2020 rulebook that comes with the game, you can see counter culture back of the days, dark humor and all that, like how some of people to cyberpunk in generation x dealed with things. Advancing in technology doesn't mean we become somehow better homo sapiens.

Edgerunners is never short selling intellectually, that something like tech makes us but better killers. That not only works in context of story, for cyberpunk that's essential, but for masses, it's something that makes sense. It's not the 80's anymore.

So, they did 6th. Street into game we got a less than two years ago. Like Mike Pondsmith said, future 5 minutes from now. Look what's happening in the world right now. Know that's over, doesn't mean everything is over. This is cyberpunk genre, once again, fiction today, to understand what lies ahead. We can at least prepare.

For topics like this, cover them in intellectual way, it reaches way more people than gaming audience.

Game, it might be the next GTA with blinking lights for cyberpsychosis, but other mediums, they can let their writers still shine and customers are going to be there.

Top Bottom