Edgerunners - the first of many future stories told within Night City?

+
I'll be upfront, I haven't watched Edgerunners. So, everything I know comes from fans watching the anime on NetFlix (reason I don't watch is basically NetFlix itself). From what I've read about the show, it's hugely popular. So that's my starting-point.

With this huge success, begs the question; "Why not continue with more of these stories?"

There are many many sidemissions in Cyberpunk 2077 alone that could be the backbone of an Edgerunners-like story told through a number of episodes.

I'll use one example (short-story); The Highwayman - telling the story from the beginning to the end when James looks up at V.

Another example (long story); Kold Mirage - the story as seen from Rache Bartmoss' side from when he crashed the net to when he gets into the freezer. May require a lot of content as his life spanned several decades.

And those are just things I recall from the game itself.

They could literally have seasons of content from within each district, with stories in each of them from multiple points of views (gangers, NCPD, ripperdocs, mercs etc. etc.).

It's Netflix so it probably depends on how well it did. It has to do more than just be popular within the anime community. As we have to remind ppl, anime fandom alone isn't big enough to get high viewership numbers. You also need casual viewers.

For me personally I didn't like it and couldn't get through it. If they go a more serious, dramatic direction, closer to the game then that might interest me.

For me personally I didn't like it and couldn't get through it. If they go a more serious, dramatic direction, closer to the game then that might interest me.

This is my stance as well. I didn't enjoy it much. I thought it was full of anime clichés. I watched it because of how much I like the game and because reviews were very good but as someone who can count the amount of animes I've enjoyed on a single hand despite having watched many, I wouldn't watch the next series if it's the same kind of stuff.

It's obvious it pleased many but like @ShinAkira00 pointed out, it needs to be able to attract and, most importantly, retain high viewership numbers. That means you need to appeal to a vast audience. I don't think Edgerunners did that. People outside of very specific circles aren't watching it from what I've seen. It was successful and it was a great marketing move to release the patch and throw a sale while releasing Edgerunners but I'm doubtful it will get another season.

Live action could also be very interesting.

That means you need to appeal to a vast audience. I don't think Edgerunners did that. People outside of very specific circles aren't watching it from what I've seen.
Top 10 "most viewed serie" in France maybe we like animes more than other country :)
(If I remember, it was on top in other country too the first week. But you can't stay long on top, with only ten "20min" episodes, i.e about 3hrs in total. It' a matter of one night/evening)
I'm doubtful it will get another season.
Opposite, I'm sure they will produce more seasons (with a "s"^^)

1664936611219.png

I would say it was quite well received, and widely. Germany is interesting, didn't know they were such big Cpunk fans...I blame @MilezZ

I don't watch anime at all, I watched Edgerunners only because of the game and I really enjoyed it. If they make a sequel I will certainly watch it, but I would prefer live-action series.

I'd like to see a series of short stories, much like Star Wars: Visions (animated anthology - Visions was a series of short stories by several Japanese animation studios incl. Trigger)

I imagine something like the Aeon Flux MTV shorts where the protagonist/merc often meets a sticky end.

Hum... I think Edgerunners is already a little bit more than "popular within the anime community" :shrug:

View attachment 11323061

I would say it was quite well received, and widely. Germany is interesting, didn't know they were such big Cpunk fans...I blame @MilezZ
Edgerunners renewed interest in the game and made its sales increase considerably, so yeah, both well received and a bit more than popular with just anime fans, indeed

If they go a more serious, dramatic direction, closer to the game then that might interest me.

choom are you serious? they basically all died except Lucy, from episode to episode and without even the characters expressing sadness, as if nothing had happened :shrug:. I mean... the protagonist lost his mother and he was less sad than certain people that have lost a goldfish XD. Even more drama? we might as well drink the arsenic directly at that point ^_^

choom are you serious? they basically all died except Lucy, from episode to episode and without even the characters expressing sadness, as if nothing had happened :shrug:. I mean... the protagonist lost his mother and he was less sad than certain people that have lost a goldfish XD. Even more drama? we might as well drink the arsenic directly at that point ^_^
You just summarized the reason why I like this story: with such a Rogue One ending, how could I not love it? It's always so refreshing to see the heroes getting royally f*cked, as they would IRL

Death isn't what makes a compelling story mate. This was full on anime tropes from the over the top characters to the childish fan service and teenage protagonist. There was a clear target demographic for all of that and those things definitely aren't going to be appealing to a lot of casual audiences.

Last edited:
i would like too see something very diffrent if they are going too make something more. I kinda agree with anime tropes so i want something totally diffrent if im going too watch more(did not make it past ep5). Its just not my normal taste when it comes too anime..

Top 10 "most viewed serie" in France maybe we like animes more than other country :)
(If I remember, it was on top in other country too the first week. But you can't stay long on top, with only ten "20min" episodes, i.e about 3hrs in total. It' a matter of one night/evening)

Opposite, I'm sure they will produce more seasons.

Top 10 in a country is hardly proof of anything and definitely not of mass appeal. In my country it barely reached #8 for a few days and then disappeared into oblivion.

Take a look at Netflix's global top 10 over the last year and a half. There are a ton of shows that got cancelled despite having much better numbers. I'm not talking just a bit better, I'm talking 3-7 times better numbers and good reviews but still got canned.

A new series getting into top 10 is fairly par for the course. Almost all of them make it on there to various degrees and for various lapse of time. Sometimes it's just a slow week for Netflix. Look at the week Edgerunner released. A little over 330 million hours viewed (using the English shows hours as they are much higher) in total. Two weeks later, Dahmer (which has mass-appeal) has nearly 300 million by itself.

Netflix is currently re-examining it's own model because they are facing major subscriber loses for the first time. They want less quality and more quantity. Shows people will subscribe for. Shows like Dahmer is what Netflix wants now more than ever. Most of their shows won't reach that status but shows like Edgerunners will simply never stand a chance to get there. Just never. Animes are niche. There is nothing wrong with that. All I'm saying is that I'm pretty convinced Netflix isn't very interested in a second season. 15 million hours viewed in a week is nothing to Netflix at this point.

They want shows that will get people to subscribe and stay subscribed. Edgerunners, in it's current form, is definitely not one of those.

CDPR might go for another one eventually but I'm fairly certain they'll time it with their next game. They've certainly experienced how tying in a show to your game after release can have great effects. Twice in fact.

Then again, it's all speculation on our parts. No one can say with any degree of certitude.

Top 10 in a country is hardly proof of anything and definitely not of mass appeal. In my country it barely reached #8 for a few days and then disappeared into oblivion.
For an anime, it (very) rare. The last serie, if I remember, was Arcane (and it's an exception^^). There are plenty of animes which have regularely new seasons and never reach any tops, ever. So generally, even if a series doesn't reach the tops at all, it doesn't prevent any further season to be produced. As long as it's "profitable" I guess everyone wins.

At the end, in my opinion, for an anime, Edgerunners was (very) well received. Better than most of animes... It's just my opinion, but it would be silly not to make new seasons, knowing that the majority of cases, anime never come out of oblivion :giggle:

Edit : It's like games... Some "genre" doesn't appeal as much as others (following the same logic, we would all play Fortnite or Minecraft^^)

Last edited:
For an anime, it (very) rare. The last serie, if I remember, was Arcane (and it's an exception^^). There are plenty of animes which have regularely new seasons and never reach any tops, ever. So generally, even if a series doesn't reach the tops at all, it doesn't prevent any further season to be produced. As long as it's "profitable" I guess everyone wins.

That's the thing, profitable for Netflix is subscribers who subscribe and ideally stay subscribed. I don't see Edgerunners doing that. At a time when Netflix is losing large numbers of subscribers for the first time.

At the end, in my opinion, for an anime, Edgerunners was (very) well received. Better than most of animes...

I don't shy from the fact I didn't enjoy it much but I also consider my opinion to be worthless on the show's quality since I'm very much biased against animes. Still, I'm not denying it was very well received. It was, there is no denying that. I'm talking cold hard numbers here. That's the main thing Netflix looks at, how people feel about it comes second. Hence why a show like Resident Evil got canned so quickly. Great numbers but shit reception, means next season would probably not pull the same viewership or anything near it and it definitely won't get people to subscribe or stay subscribed.

As for your edit... You're comparing apples to oranges. Very different business models.

That's the thing, profitable for Netflix is subscribers who subscribe and ideally stay subscribed. I don't see Edgerunners doing that. At a time when Netflix is losing large numbers of subscribers for the first time.
You may not "follow" animes on netflix, but I think it is (majority have way less views, never reach any tops and still have new seasons) :)
It would be freaking sad for all of those who like animes (almost all animes would have... one season).
Few example :
Bastard‼ Heavy Metal, Dark Fantasy > New season
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure > New season
DOTA: Dragon's Blood > New season
As for your edit... You're comparing apples to oranges. Very different business models.
The same if you compare Dahmer and Edgerunners :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom