Editing grass-textures? (dds)

+

Guest 3841499

IchWillDeinRegal;n10830001 said:
Actually Global Illumination isn't even part of the game anymore (not sure if it was in one of the prebuilds). Anyway, to get back on topic:
So no matter what i try, grass_common_n.dds always looks like the image i posted above after uncooking. Does this mean the texture is corrupted within my gamefiles? lol
Probably not possible though, also the grass looks exactly like it should without mods. I am really clueless because every other texture seems to get uncooked correctly...

Could be the ModKit version you use. I suggest 1.3 Patched + W3Oven. WCC_Lite has problems when it comes to importing normal maps, but I never had an issue with uncooking normal maps. You're not using the Export feature, are you?

MonarchX
Are you sure the normal-map you posted wasn't edited? Asking because i tried exporting it in some different ways and it's always the same for me. I don't understand why this would happen only to this particular texture.

Guest 3841499

Don't export! That feature doesn't work well! UNCOOK normally instead! Yes, I am 100% certain that the image I posted was not edited in any way...

MonarchX
Would it be too much to ask for a detailed step-by-step guide on what you did to get the correct grass normalmap uncooked? Asking because i tried everything to get it uncooked but the result is always the same. Also asked another modder but he's getting the same broken .dds , lol. Not sure if there's something wrong with my modkit now or if i'm missing something obvious.

Guest 3841499

No idea... I simply used the latest performance-patched ModKit 1.3 with the latest W3Oven and uncooked each content folder separately. That's it. I can send you vanilla files if you'd like.

For the record, I've too this proper grass, same as MonarchX's posted. I've uncooked the game without separation from the content folders, so thats not the case. Also ModKit 1.3 with patched wcc_lite. BTW game version is GOTY.

Hm interesting... The wcc_lite patch only affects the performance of the modkit doesn't it? So that shouldn't be the problem then.
Witcher 3 modding is still quite a mystery.

The patched wcc_lite is basically just performance update. Also a great way to check if your modkit is the version 1.3, since that'll only run on 1.3 and not previous versions. I learnt this the hard way.

Guest 3841499

There was another update for ModKit 1.3 that I found on Discord and it dealt with fixing a packing/cooking or similar bug.

Old topic but... How did you get .dds files for grass to begin with... for me they are .srt files, no idea how to convert them to .dds. i used W3Oven to extract all the stuff in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\content

Would be fun to mess around with the grass files :)

Old topic but... How did you get .dds files for grass to begin with... for me they are .srt files, no idea how to convert them to .dds. i used W3Oven to extract all the stuff in The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt GOTY\content

Would be fun to mess around with the grass files :)
You should use WolvenKit. To look through the games files

also vurt, vurt... that name sounds familiar from the Morrowind modding community :)

You should use WolvenKit. To look through the games files

also vurt, vurt... that name sounds familiar from the Morrowind modding community :)
Many thanks! I'll look into Wolvenkit. I'm currently using something called xtcModKit, is it any good? I found the textures through downloading another mod that alters grass, i just unpacked that mod.. as a test (to see how well i understand modding this game) i'll see if i can alter that grass and make it appear in the game using the xtcmodkit.. i'm guessing NO and that i have a lot of reading ahead ;)

yeah i've done vegetation mods for fallout, skyrim, morrowind and some other games.

Many thanks! I'll look into Wolvenkit. I'm currently using something called xtcModKit, is it any good? I found the textures through downloading another mod that alters grass, i just unpacked that mod.. as a test (to see how well i understand modding this game) i'll see if i can alter that grass and make it appear in the game using the xtcmodkit.. i'm guessing NO and that i have a lot of reading ahead ;)

yeah i've done vegetation mods for fallout, skyrim, morrowind and some other games.
Nice! Man I’ve been using your mods! pm me if you want more info also joined the TW3 discord! I’ll go to bed now :)

bah... no luck in changing the .dds for grass, doesn't want to cook it, just says it doesn't have any files..

earlier in the thread someone said you could just put the changed .dds in the uncooked map and the game would find it? how does that work? where does the uncooked folder need to be for the game to find my test texture? (i really just need to start testing how things looks, i have no finished mod yet).

bah... no luck in changing the .dds for grass, doesn't want to cook it, just says it doesn't have any files..

earlier in the thread someone said you could just put the changed .dds in the uncooked map and the game would find it? how does that work? where does the uncooked folder need to be for the game to find my test texture? (i really just need to start testing how things looks, i have no finished mod yet).

hej Vurt, sorry for the delayed reply :D

I updated WolvenKit so that editing grass files now is automatic (just add, edit and pack), but until the commit is live, here's a quick tutorial:

unknown.png

this is the file structure for "special" textures like .dds in WolvenKit. Note the Mod/TextureCache/... path You need to make sure the edited grass/tree textures are in this structure

also I believe to get the mod to pack you need to right click on the TextureCache folder and click "cook files in folder"

in the end you need to pack the mod!

Top Bottom