EGX 2014 Witcher 3

+
@Sibladosi
If it's not in the game then I don't think people will mind it all that much since the crossbow (Gabriel I believe it's called) isn't the main tool for taking foes down (like guns are in RDR and GTA).The Witcher also has signs for ranged combat so that will be most likely the refuge for people that don't like using Gabriel.
@adridu59
I'm not a fan of the shoddy slow-mo cam either.To be more precise I don't like the way the camera changes it's angle and how tediously slow and hard it feels (looks) to aim although the last part,I'm certain,is because they were using a controller.It would be a immersion breaker for me as well but they most likely put it in because the flying mobs might get annoying in large swarms and the slow mo provides additional time to react.
@ONLY ONCE
I agree R* has the "best TPS mechanics" category on lockdown ever since GTA 3 so I wouldn't put it against CDPR if they took a page out of their book.The thing I like about how R* does it's TPS is the power (or lack there of) you feel behind each shot.Whether it's a peashooter or a magnum you can feel each shot the way it should.Besides all that it only holds your hand if you want it to and that's great since an increasing number of devs tend to treat us like idiots.

Overall I think I've seen 3 things I'm not a particular fan of in TW3.One of them is superficial and I think I can get used to it if it's not changed,one doesn't have anything to do with our current topic and the last one is crossbow aiming as a whole.Still,I would like to see more combat where Geralt uses his crossbow before I pass my "final judgement".

Well...the slow-mo targeting mode could be explained lore wise in that its Geralt's super human reflexes.
From a lore perspective,yeah,I could see it work but as a game mechanic I'm not feeling it right now.

Wow, I don't even remember saying that xD... but yeah, i still don't like the crossbow too much =P, but with that put aside, didn't liked the slow-mo mecanic either =(.
However, like ONLY ONCE said, i also think that the lockdown mecanic could work.

^It's the same zoom-in mechanic indeed. The best scenario is we get both options, because when shit got too hectic, I'd use the bullet time as a breather to sort out my strategy. And now I remember Geralt does fire the crossbow in standard camera during the E3 demo.@3:36.

It remains to be seen how the targeting system works because the target icon is no longer there, or perhaps disabled.

Hmm, I could see a target marker (a small white cross or dot) when he fires the first time.

The white dot is subtle and more than efficient, it gets the job done.
I still think the white dot should turn to red once it locks on our desired target.
Auto Lock Aiming On/Off options should be standard options with Geralts new crossbow toy gun don'tcha think?
Well...
I have a feeling it's already in the game, I hope I'm right;)

Last edited:
Hmm, I could see a target marker (a small white cross or dot) when he fires the first time.

I meant the circular target icon for melee present in TW2, but I realize now it may be redundant. When the enemy's life bar appears above his head, that's apparently the target.

I would like to not have crossbow bullet time personally… I mean it’s not a shotgun and it looks too cheated and immersion breaking, imo. Maybe they implemented it out of a practical need in certain combats, idk.

Having crossbow as a sidearm weapon is fine to me. Like having it bind on a key for a quick shot to interrupt an enemy or disrupt a charging monster to get yourself prepared for a proper attack or something like that. Think how Batman uses his batarang on a free-flow combo, they don't knock enemies down, but they are important to give you space on combat.

"Gooses are still made out of iron (stops Geralt from running, sort of invisible wall... be we knew that already)"

I know that the Game is in development but these small things annoy gamers a lot.

I'm just going to leave this here...

^I think geese are becoming to the Witcher Forums what fishsticks were/are for the TES Forums.Makes me feel proud to be living in a moment like this with you guys.
*Sheds a single albeit giant semi-manly tear*

Interesting EGX TW3 video

So I found this video on reddit.

Damien talks about a lot of things in the video and also notice how enthusiastic he is when he talks about how he loves the game. Damien also mentions how the map shown to us in the E3 demo is less than half the map. The other half will obviously be Skellige Islands. So please enjoy and forget about the drama of the previous days.

Fuck, the complexity of that situation is nuts...

Off the top of my head I honestly can't think of a 3D game with as complex phasing/AI as that, especially in an open world... Although it definitely sounds like Damien is "PR'ing" it up a little bit, just like how the Nemesis System wasn't as deep and complex as Monolith made out, but still even just in a basic incarnation like on the slide it should be awesome.

So the map that we saw at the demo is less than half of the whole game-world. I guess we can all agree that the other one is the Skellige region.

That was an interesting watch. The plot, thickens. :look:
It would be cool if we could use the oils to set the sword on fire, like in the new dragon age.
The fire would last for about 5 mins and can be doused.

Whetstones to sharpen a dull blade as well.

Last edited:
So the map that we saw at the demo is less than half of the whole game-world. I guess we can all agree that the other one is the Skellige region.

TBH I do not think so.

We know that there are about 3 main areas.
Skellige, NML and Novigrad.
And we know that the map shows parts of 2 of those areas (NML and Novigrad)
And we know according to CDPR the 3 areas are about the same size (one a little bit bigger, the other a little bit smaller).

So I expect NML to have a little bit more room where the map stops at the bottom.
Of course the majority of the "other half" will be Skellige, but I think there might be a little bit missing of NML+Novigrad as well on that map.

LOVE the way they made the decision and quest system, it just seems like a natural evolution of what they did in TW1+2.

Despite the things IMO being a little bit more simplifies (not every decision has a "big" impact and areas are not locked or unlocked based on decisions, they just change) I think the system of TW3 will be the best yet. And TBH, as long as the graphics are on TW2-level I couldn't care less about graphical downgrades or overall quality. I just want that huge world and my 100 hours of amazing Witcher gameplay and monsters slaying.

Top Bottom