EGX 2014 Witcher 3

+
EGX 2014 Witcher 3

We came early and saw the first showing of the Witcher. We were one of the first people in the que but sill had to wait around 45 minutes to see the presention. Room was big maybe 100 people were inside at one time even. It was the same 35 minutes video as recently shown on Youtube. Not sure if it was the same game built version. Damien sister was sitting in the corner of the stage with 360 controller. She definitly played it before and knew what to do and when.. It was a fun well presented demo.

Damien was funny. He pose for the camera showing of his back side.
We spoke for few minutes after the demo, I told him this pic will end up on the forum so there it is :D ( you guys can use it as you wish, I don't think he will mind)

DEMO:
There was a moment when you meet "Tree Spirit" Damien asked everyone should we kill it or let it live.. I shouted as much as I could from the front row to let it live (just to see what would happen next) but he still went with kill it option.

One of the things I havent seen before was one dialog option when you first talk to "Johnny" and he asked you to follow him. Other option was chosen, Geralt talked about things like "it must be hard to live in this area, with big monsters running around swamps" and Johnny flexed is muscles and mimicked "I am a big monster" (small funny moment)

Damien said few things while presentation was taking place:

When you start the game you can basically run everywhere when you are level 2 big monsters like "fiend" will definitely kill you. Also The big tree in the distance shown in the Griffin video.. he didn't want to spoil anything but said there is something big out there but you dont want to go there until you are around level 15-17. And every time you kill one of the big monsters you can expect to find some sort of reward for the efford. Animals can be Axii and they will follow you like pets, not sure if all animals or just things like chickens or gooses.

I've notice few glitchy things in the demo.
- Water didn't render ...well. When Geralt entered the Novigrad on the horse, puddle on the ground was still rendering and water didnt look as smooth as it should be.
- Camera locks and you loose sight of the target if you side step quickly in cirlces, I think there was glips of that in the YT video when you fight Werewolf (it makes you almost face Geralts front and combat might becomes difficult for one sec)
- Gooses are still made out of iron (stops Geralt from running, sort of invisible wall... be we knew that already)
- Crossbow focus shot isn't final or at least doesn't feels that way, It looks difficult to aim at something if its not directly in front of you or if it moves fast. Maybe it would be more practicle to just shoot things when you lock on at the target without focus/bullet time.
- Also when Geralt was aiming at Hyrpies camera glitched once and it went under Geralt feet (under surface)

Nevertheless it was a great presentation. Everyone loved the demo applaud afterword and congratulated Damien doing great job.

We received gifts: 1x poster each and 1x Witcher clip. ( I really wanted the t-shirt but it was for staff only )

I would hope the zoom function for crossbow is optional like it was for bombs and daggers in TW2. Also, I'm gonna Axii myself a pet goose and have him follow me the entire game.

I would hope the zoom function for crossbow is optional like it was for bombs and daggers in TW2. Also, I'm gonna Axii myself a pet goose and have him follow me the entire game.
It does feel like TW2 throwing system with few new animations. Maybe it would be better to aim first and upon releasing the button Geralts pulls the crossbow out and shots (quick draw) without camera zooming in behind the shoulder so close.. People will propobly use 'lock on target and shot' all the time anyway. quick and painful.

About the DEMO,
Two dudes were sitting behind us whispering all the time during the presentation. Sounded like they didn't know much about the game but they really liked the game visuals.
Another thing that has happen: While waiting in the que one older gentleman was explaining to his younger group of friends
(or people he met) who is Geralt while there was. That was cool, made me giggle :)
Also I noticed there is a fan next to Damien sister on the stage but it wasn't pointed at her but at the PC? overheating? Game did have small frame drop every now and then.

People who pre-ordered W3 at the EGX received signed by the team thank you card. I really wanted to get it but my fiance would chop my legs off if I ordered 3rd copy.

Also I noticed there is a fan next to Damien sister on the stage but it wasn't pointed at her but at the PC? overheating? Game did have small frame drop every now and then.
The airflow wherever they kept the PC might not have been ideal I guess. As for the frame drops, they run the game in editor mode which loads up unnecessary files not needed for regular gameplay hence it kills the frames.

"- Gooses are still made out of iron " and you complain about being able to control on of these iron creatures!?! They can actualy stop the white wolf!
Thanks for the info update =D, really fun!
Btw, Mefris picture is awsome xD

^:)

I like the way R* does auto aiming in it's games.For one you can toggle it on/off if you don't want to use it or you could keep it as is by default :press the trigger halfway=manual aim,press it down the whole way=auto aim

I'll be playing The Witcher the way I always have,on pc with mouse and keyboard,but I know auto aim would help a lot of console players that are newbies at aiming with the sticks.

I've notice few glitchy things in the demo.
- Water didn't render ...well. When Geralt entered the Novigrad on the horse, puddle on the ground was still rendering and water didnt look as smooth as it should be.
- Camera locks and you loose sight of the target if you side step quickly in cirlces, I think there was glips of that in the YT video when you fight Werewolf (it makes you almost face Geralts front and combat might becomes difficult for one sec)
- Gooses are still made out of iron (stops Geralt from running, sort of invisible wall... be we knew that already)
- Crossbow focus shot isn't final or at least doesn't feels that way, It looks difficult to aim at something if its not directly in front of you or if it moves fast. Maybe it would be more practicle to just shoot things when you lock on at the target without focus/bullet time.
- Also when Geralt was aiming at Hyrpies camera glitched once and it went under Geralt feet (under surface)

Thankfully CDPred delayed the game or we might have gotten the game with these bugs and most likely even more. So hopefully in the next build shown, the game will run much smoother. :)

I trust CDPR implicitly.They love their product just as much as we do so I'm almost 100% positive that this demo will be the last time we see those graphical glitches.

Well, they are still showing the same E3 demo probably running on a same build as it was back then, so most of this stuff is probably repaired already.

What do you mean by "JUST" a goose?

true enough. people just dont realize that you just dont F@$k with a goose. they are really flying , beautifully feathered velociraptors.

Well... atleast geralt knows it .

Last edited:
^The more I think about it the less I want CDPR to fix the whole geese collison issue although,to be honest, they're probably too frightend to fix it anyway.
Fix wat you nerds?!BAAHK!!

OT:
There was a moment when you meet "Tree Spirit" Damien asked everyone should we kill it or let it live.. I shouted as much as I could from the front row to let it live (just to see what would happen next) but he still went with kill it option.
I'm glad they stuck with the same option as before because I think we'll all enjoy finding things like this on our own when the game comes out.

Auto-aim would be helpfull, but if it is not in the game, don't think I will miss it much =P, with that said = I have no opinion on this matter!

:huh:

I would like to not have crossbow bullet time personally… I mean it’s not a shotgun and it looks too cheated and immersion breaking, imo. Maybe they implemented it out of a practical need in certain combats, idk.

I wonder if it's even realistic at this point in development, for devs to make the crossbow operate exactly like GTA/RDR auto aim in general? The only hint of GTA/RDR style auto aim that I saw was in that one twitch E3 demo, the player finished off that bandit with the crossbow point blank range. I did not like the heat seeking crossbow bolt trail effects at all, but whatever.. I think when Geralt shot at the harpies, those were some kind of slow down time crossbow bolts. If so, I will stay far away from those unless I really have to use them for something. I still think the crossbow/aiming systems should play just like the handguns in GTA/RDR. I promise CDPR it's not a rip off, it's just the best universally fun gameplay solution that most console gamers are already used to. It just makes sense to do it this way without CDPR Team trying to hard at being original. I understand why game devs want to be unique and all, and that's fine and dandy, but putting their own twist on what is already 1st worldly known as the best TPS mechanics out there is just unnecessary. Unless CDPR Team is 100% Confident that their original take on this is just as great or even better than RDR/GTA aiming mechanics? It reminds me of that old saying "if you can't beat 'em join 'em." Anywho..CDPR Team your game is already the most unique and original RPG I have ever seen and I applaud you! If you do decide to copy and paste GTA/RDR aiming and shooting mechanics, It will only make the crossbow gameplay more enjoyable.
Be it on foot or on horseback, I believe it would just feel better and more comfortable if the tried and true auto lock aiming system was in place in TW3.
Anyways.. I'm still going to play with my Swords & Sings the most, so who cares right ;) lol...

Last edited:
Top Bottom