Eldain Needs a Rework

+
I fear for Eldain's growth. He is unitless-ish by nature and with the current frustration of the community for unitless decks, it somehow restricts Eldain's future growth. If the future expansions will add more traps then Eldain will just become the go to leader for unitless. Some player despise him now, what more in the future where there will be more traps? I just played a couple of games with a standard Eldain deck and i don't get GG at all then I switch to unitless Eldain and players are starting to forfeit.

nah, it is great fun to play with and against him. it makes gwent become a more psychology game like poker. You must imagine the mind of your opponent and play / avoid the right traps at the correct time. also like discussed many times: just take a few destory artifacts cards with you and it will become a cake walk

just take a few destory artifacts cards with you and it will become a cake walk

With all due respect, I can never get my head around this type of sentence. If I'm facing - as is more often the case - Dana/harmony, Bran/discard, Big monsters, Meve/boosts, Ardal/seize, etc., what am I supposed to do with a "few destroy artefacts cards"?! This is part of the problem - Eldain probably does need a rework because it's entirely too situational. It relies heavily on getting a good deal, and if you're up against someone who 'randomly' has decided to have White Frost, you lose.

nah, it is great fun to play with and against him. it makes gwent become a more psychology game like poker. You must imagine the mind of your opponent and play / avoid the right traps at the correct time. also like discussed many times: just take a few destory artifacts cards with you and it will become a cake walk

I agree but what you are describing is the standard Eldain deck. Unitless Eldain deck is different. My point is for his future development. He is fine now but what happens when more traps and special cards will be added in the future? I see players who abuse unitless and they might resort to Eldain in the future then if that's the case, the frustration of the community about unitless decks will never be solved.

why is unit-less "abusing" something? it is just a different type of deck, very unique and actually quite hard to win with it. (i played over 3000 hours and the achievement of "win a game with 15 special cards" i only unlocked after 2900 hours of times in the game. (but, yeah, i admit, it now became easier with the recent expansion). like all decks it has benefits and disadvantages: you will win against most SK damage decks, but you will loose against all spy decks or decks with high health units.

Last edited:
Using cards and the deck builder as they were meant to be used is not unsporting. The blame can not be put on the players that are doing what they are supposed to be doing. It's on the devs to decide if its something they want in the game or not.

If you try to justify sportsmanship with "well, it's not technically against the rules" then i think you're missing the point or don't understand what you're talking about.

So your argument is that they are playing the game in a way that you don't like so that makes them unsporting? But I have missed the point?

Just cause something is within the rules doesn't automatically makes it sportsmanlike, this is what you fail to grasp. Sorry but pick another word.

Just cause something is within the rules doesn't automatically makes it sportsmanlike, this is what you fail to grasp. Sorry but pick another word.

You called them unsporting so why are you using that word?

If something is withing the rules then it's literally apart of the game being played. I don't think there is a way for that thing to be unsporting. Maybe you have some examples of this being the case?

Sportsmanship has nothing to do with the rules man, it means preserving the spirit of the game, by being fair and treating your opponents with respect.
Spamming taunts and roping is perfectly within the rules of this game, yet it doesn't mean it's sportsmanlike.

In football when a member of the opponent team gets injured, you could use the numeric advantage and try to score a goal, it's well within the rules and can very well win you the game, yet players choose to kick the ball out of the field. That's sportsmanship.

Sportsmanship has nothing to do with the rules man, it means preserving the spirit of the game, by being fair and treating your opponents with respect.
Spamming taunts and roping is perfectly within the rules of this game, yet it doesn't mean it's sportsmanlike.

In football when a member of the opponent team gets injured, you could use the numeric advantage and try to score a goal, it's well within the rules and can very well win you the game, yet players choose to kick the ball out of the field. That's sportsmanship.

We are talking about the cards people use and the decks that they make with them so I don't know how spamming taunts or roping can be some kind of adequate comparison.

The football example is also not a good comparison. It's good sportsmanship to not win a game when your side has an unfair advantage. That again is not what this topic is about.

Sportsmanship appears to have a lot of meanings and is a bit subjective. One thing everyone can agree on is that it's always good sportsmanship to shake hands after a game is played. So it's far more objectively bad sportsmanship to not GG someone just because you didn't like the deck that they used.

rrc

Forum veteran
When I saw the heading, I thought (to quote a famous meme) "Oh s**t... here we go again". If a ST card/leader/archetype needs to be nerfed, the community just needs to create one thread with 40 posts (20 for and 20 against) and CDPR will wave the nerf wand on ST. For other factions, it needs multiple threads and posts and consistent and constant whining have to be created so that it is slightly touched.

Back to topic: Whatever @BrokeCiri mentioned makes perfect sense, which is why I think we will never get any new trap, at least not a Gold trap or even if it is a bronze trap, the max it can be will be a dummy trap which adds no points to you either positive for your side or negative/damaging the opponent side. We now have correct amount of traps in which the opponents can think and play around.

1) Don't try to use valuable card if Eldain opens up with a trap - it may be incinerating trap (or even pitfall)
2) If it doesn't open up upon you playing a card, it can be crushing or horn. So, don't row stack, play your card with the row with least number of cards
3) If it doesn't up after two rounds, it is either horn or serpent trap. Now, comes the mind game. Can you assume it is serpent trap and pass when you are < 8 points? Or do you want to get well over 8 wasting your points? Things get tense here and get very interesting.

It is a simple three step logic/thinking the opponent can apply. Accordingly you play around this. But if a new trap is added, then it adds more confusion. If it opens up immediately, it would be duplicate of incinerating or pitfall. If it doesn't at the first turn, the opponent has to play around 4 traps. That is insane.

So, adding any more traps will make it purely unfun for the opponent (if you think about it, pre-HC, we had only three traps, right? Morean who kind of kills the next unit the opponent plays (Incinerating/pitfall). Tourveil who is like the Horn. Morean-Call-Of-Forest who was the serpent trap. If you have anything more, it will just be too much.

Throughout this post I avoided Treant:Mantis as a trap, because it is not. It is neither a trap, nor a unit. It can't synergize with any trap based cards/leader.

But if unitless decks needs to be put in balance, I would recommend nerfing the neutral artifacts. Make Summoning Circle as 12 provision card, and CDPR would have fixed 75% of the unitless decks problem. As I see it Summoning Circle is like portal, even more flexible and advanced and Portal is 13 provisions.

CDPR, if you want to fix unitless non-sense, please fix Summoning Circle and leave my boy Eldain alone.

We are talking about the cards people use and the decks that they make with them so I don't know how spamming taunts or roping can be some kind of adequate comparison.

You claimed that something is part of the game, therefore it's not unsporting, right?
Spamming taunts and roping is part of the game right? So by your logic, spaming taunts and roping is not unsporting.
Get it?

You claimed that something is part of the game, therefore it's not unsporting, right?
Spamming taunts and roping is part of the game right? So by your logic, spaming taunts and roping is not unsporting.
Get it?

Except that is not what I meant when I said that. I was referring to the actual topic which is playing the game with a deck you made with the cards the devs put in the game. I do not think spamming should be a legitimate way to play the game. I'm fine with the devs punishing that type of behavior. Do you have an argument for how its bad sportsmanship for these players to be using these decks?

Alright, enough with what is and what isn't considered (good) sportsmanship. Please, focus on the topic at hand, that being whether or not Eldain needs a rework.

The presence of Treant Mantis may be a foreshadowing that there will be more ambush units in the future. Here are some trap ideas:

Elf Unit
Power: 3
Provisions: 9
Ambush: The next time an enemy unit receives a boost, drain that unit then damage it by 3.
Zeal. Order: Damage an enemy unit by 3.

Snare Trap (Trap)
Provisions: 4
Ambush: Lock the next unit your opponent's plays before it triggers its ability.

Unitless is fine for me but what matter is the health of the community, if majority of the community is frustrated about unitless then devs might want to look into it. Remember that the community is a factor from preventing a game from dying.

Top Bottom