Elden ring question

+
Anyway, to answer op's question, you can't access inventory just by pressing "I" because inventory is designed to be accessed with 2 button input (3 buttons for weapon change). This is a PvP game, too, and changing weapons on the fly is a skill. Retaining control of your character while navigating inventory is a part of gameplay. So accessing inventory with one button would be unfair competitively.
I don't think that is a good excuse, nothing in this inventory system or menu system in general seems to be designed with the purpose of being fast. Sort of like a Fallout or Skyrim inventory system if I should compare it to something. Its not optimal, but functional enough for a single player game experience.

Besides that, if I should guess the majority of people playing these games do it for the single player experience, so rather than designing the inventory system based on pvp, if that is indeed the case, I think they could solve that better other ways.

I haven't tried mouse/keyboard, but I can imagine that it's pretty clunky without a lot of practice. Most things about the game seem to be designed around the notion of controller-based inputs. There are big annoyances even about the controller though. I play only off-line, so I have no hesitance about using mods for the game. The most essential one for me simply stops the camera from resetting when I click the targeting button without the game being able to identify a target, because I'm at the wrong angle or something. Getting killed due to disorientation from the sudden camera reset got old quickly.
I just think its sad, because again these types of games where you control your character in 3rd person, is not new to PC and other companies have already designed controls for them that are so much better than Elden ring, so they could just have copy/pasted those and then make one that works for consoles.

And a lot of these things are merely the ability to map keys probably. Like buttons to use healing, mana. And then you could map other useable items to other keys. For instance being able to use mouse wheel to scroll back forth between items, you can only scroll one way, because the mapping for going backwards is not there. The functionality is clearly in the game as you can scroll forward using the mouse wheel, it shouldn't be all that difficult to make it go the other way on PC.

In my opinion, we are talking so few changes to make the game more enjoyable on PC, even if they left most of the clunky UI, these few extra key mappings would completely change the game experience on PC.

Another thing they should add, is when holding down right mouse button when using a shield or want to parry and walk away from an enemy, your character doesn't turn their back to them like an idiot, but instead they walk backwards holding up their shield.

When using the crossbow or casting a spell, spawn a little targeting crosshair instead and have your character shoot in that direction, like a freaking normal PC game, instead of having to constantly turn on/off lock on target.

To me these things would make a huge difference in regards to the quality of the game experience.

Can't really comment as I have only ever played these games with a controller (and thus always found them to be entirely suitably instinctive) other than to say it must be possible to fathom an appropriate MK layout - my gf has (after much nattering on my part) recently succumbed and dived in at the noob-friendly level of DS2, on PC, and quickly sorted an MK config that works for her - certainly enough for her to pile through the game and straight into NG+ without a second thought. I can only echo what others have said on this thread regarding the intentions of devs regarding some games - they were paid to make a game on a specific system and did so, it's unfair to suggest they're lazy for only doing that. Most if not all Metal Gear games are very obviously designed for a controller and nothing else, and it's the same for Soulsborneringfield games. There are countless games whose difference in quaity on console is defined by the reality that they do not exist on console, so it's all much of a muchness really.

edit: I do hope you (OP) can find a config that suits you, so you can appreciate the game to its fullest. It's quite something on PS5 :)

Can't really comment as I have only ever played these games with a controller (and thus always found them to be entirely suitably instinctive) other than to say it must be possible to fathom an appropriate MK layout - my gf has (after much nattering on my part) recently succumbed and dived in at the noob-friendly level of DS2, on PC, and quickly sorted an MK config that works for her - certainly enough for her to pile through the game and straight into NG+ without a second thought. I can only echo what others have said on this thread regarding the intentions of devs regarding some games - they were paid to make a game on a specific system and did so, it's unfair to suggest they're lazy for only doing that. Most if not all Metal Gear games are very obviously designed for a controller and nothing else, and it's the same for Soulsborneringfield games. There are countless games whose difference in quaity on console is defined by the reality that they do not exist on console, so it's all much of a muchness really.

edit: I do hope you (OP) can find a config that suits you, so you can appreciate the game to its fullest. It's quite something on PS5 :)
The game is not unplayable obviously and have played around with it a bit more. And I personally can't find a good layout that is more than what I would call below average. And in most games this would probably be passable, but Elden ring as a DS game, at least in my opinion means that you can get killed very easily and very fast. Which means that having to combat a poor UI will make it an even worse experience.

This might clearly be different from person to person, but for me, having to fight the UI to this degree really ruin the game experience for me. I haven't played it that much for this very reason, but to me the game seems to pretty much be 95% fight monsters/bosses while collecting loot and exploring. And 5% might be NPC interaction and story, I mean, as it is now in the game, I have no clue what im doing, I have no clue what each area is about besides there being different monsters and I honestly feel like a headless chicken just running around killing or getting killed by random monsters all over the place. An action / looter game in 3rd person with a high difficulty level for lack of better words.

But given how poor I think the combat is, given the bad controls, its very difficult for me to enjoy the action aspect, and so far I haven't found any interesting items either. So mostly its farming runes, which I throw into different stats because the lack of information about what they do doesn't really make it interesting I think. Even though I like the idea behind it.

But when there at the same time is what seem like a complete lack of interesting story or RP elements in the game, it even tends to be boring exploring to be honest, just running into yet another type of enemy that is most likely going to kill you.

I can see the world is big and all, but damn does it feel lack luster and without purpose or substance. It sort of remind me of what an MMO would be like without quests, just monster randomly placed all over for you to go kill. And to me, killing monsters in MMOs are pretty damn boring to be honest and even the quests are borings in them, which made me stop playing them :D

But at least in Elden ring I could imagine the combat being fun and enough to carry the game were it good. But when that is not working for you, I would say that such game is pretty damn terrible, regardless of the size of the world or how good the graphics is etc.

I guess, I just have to admit that Elden ring is not a game for me and obviously have no clue why people would give it even close to 10/10, even CP which I were rough on, with all its bugs and issues etc. is so much more interesting in my opinion. And maybe even comparing it to TW3, I would say that it doesn't even come close to that, besides some of the monster designs, look of the armors etc. which I think are really awesome.

Last edited:
That's very unfortunate that you can't adjust the settings to your liking. It really sounds like the game isn't something you would enjoy as you spent more time citing what you dislike about it rather than how long it's taking to get the settings to (not)work. Are you within the Steam play/purchase time return window?

Obviously this is a game designed specifically for the console, the opposite example is 2077, everything is equal to nothing, FromSoft is smart to know to grab the core and then do subtractions, the support for the keyboard is an example, this is a great game, level design, combat, huge enemies, exploration and so on, CDPR can learn a lot from this game especially the weakness of CDPR.

I usually go with the simple answer to these sort of questions. If the control scheme is bad on a certain platform it's because whomever dictated how it was designed did so badly.

That's very unfortunate that you can't adjust the settings to your liking. It really sounds like the game isn't something you would enjoy as you spent more time citing what you dislike about it rather than how long it's taking to get the settings to (not)work. Are you within the Steam play/purchase time return window?
I can understand how it might sound :) But I do actually think I would enjoy it if I found the controls good. It sort of like when playing Skyrim or Fallout for instance, the controls in these games are not exactly optimal either, but you can forgive a lot of it, because they offer a lot of other things in my opinion which combined gives a good experience overall.

From my time with Elden ring, I really like the monster designs, armors, that combat seem more tactical than in Skyrim for instance, obviously this is designed for FP, but just to show that you can have a game with somewhat "poor" combat, but still be fun, due to other things which is the case with Skyrim in my opinion.
TW3 I think have a lot of the same elements as Elden ring when it comes to combat, each enemy, boss or mini boss seem to use different combat styles and you use different tactics to beat them, but is improved in Elden ring to make combat better or more complex than in TW3. So all that I think is very cool and as someone said, a lot of games could learn from this to make fighting enemies more interesting in games in general.

But when a game focuses so much on a single aspect like this, then it is crucial that the player controls are as good and smooth as possible in my opinion. And again, I think TW3 combat works very well and I enjoyed it, I don't have issues with the controls here. And in my opinion these two games in regards to combat, uses a very similar control scheme or what to say. Which is why I think I would enjoy Elden ring, if it worked good, because the combat seems very cool and would be enough to carry the game for me I think.

In TW3 I don't especially like how the armor looks, I don't really find the skill system very interesting either, but it has so many other things which makes the game experience absolutely amazing, so all the eggs are not put into one basket so to speak. So if these single aspects might not be the best, it doesn't ruin the experience.

I don't know if that make sense and it might work a lot better on a controller, I just don't like using them. :)

I can understand how it might sound :) But I do actually think I would enjoy it if I found the controls good. It sort of like when playing Skyrim or Fallout for instance, the controls in these games are not exactly optimal either, but you can forgive a lot of it, because they offer a lot of other things in my opinion which combined gives a good experience overall.

From my time with Elden ring, I really like the monster designs, armors, that combat seem more tactical than in Skyrim for instance, obviously this is designed for FP, but just to show that you can have a game with somewhat "poor" combat, but still be fun, due to other things which is the case with Skyrim in my opinion.
TW3 I think have a lot of the same elements as Elden ring when it comes to combat, each enemy, boss or mini boss seem to use different combat styles and you use different tactics to beat them, but is improved in Elden ring to make combat better or more complex than in TW3. So all that I think is very cool and as someone said, a lot of games could learn from this to make fighting enemies more interesting in games in general.

But when a game focuses so much on a single aspect like this, then it is crucial that the player controls are as good and smooth as possible in my opinion. And again, I think TW3 combat works very well and I enjoyed it, I don't have issues with the controls here. And in my opinion these two games in regards to combat, uses a very similar control scheme or what to say. Which is why I think I would enjoy Elden ring, if it worked good, because the combat seems very cool and would be enough to carry the game for me I think.

In TW3 I don't especially like how the armor looks, I don't really find the skill system very interesting either, but it has so many other things which makes the game experience absolutely amazing, so all the eggs are not put into one basket so to speak. So if these single aspects might not be the best, it doesn't ruin the experience.

I don't know if that make sense and it might work a lot better on a controller, I just don't like using them. :)
No worries, man. I understand how you feel about it. The first time I played Sekiro I thought the default layout for controller was wonky, but setting it to my standard layout didn't work well - I found their defaults worked best for me after taking the time to adjust. I also want people to be happy with their game. You've likely seen how critical I am of Cyberpunk, believe me; I've got gripes for Elden Ring as well, even if I didn't - I don't mind recommending someone return a game if they have the opportunity.

I don't feel Elden Ring is their best work. I think it's a great take, overall, on open world design and it is a fantastic experience. The highs area really, really high. My favorite game is Sekiro. Not just from this studio, but period. I also think it's objectively a better package. However; Elden Ring's high points are incredible and surpass Serkiro's... there's more of them at least. I still like Sekiro's one gimmick boss more than the gimmick bosses here but that's my own bias. It's low points can be quite disheartening though. Anyway; I think it's well worth the price even if you only play it once and I hope you can find enjoyment from it.

The good thing about it being open world is you can duck out of most encounters more easily if you wish. Try mucking about a bit by dealing with fauna and trash mobs to get comfortable with the control scheme before doing anything drastic. Hunt down some decent gear and acquire 'runes' to level up. Don't feel shame in farming either, I very much think the game was designed with this in mind. DM if you want any tips.

Last edited:
But given how poor I think the combat is, given the bad controls, its very difficult for me to enjoy the action aspect, and so far I haven't found any interesting items either. So mostly its farming runes, which I throw into different stats because the lack of information about what they do doesn't really make it interesting I think. Even though I like the idea behind it.

But when there at the same time is what seem like a complete lack of interesting story or RP elements in the game, it even tends to be boring exploring to be honest, just running into yet another type of enemy that is most likely going to kill you.

I can see the world is big and all, but damn does it feel lack luster and without purpose or substance. It sort of remind me of what an MMO would be like without quests, just monster randomly placed all over for you to go kill. And to me, killing monsters in MMOs are pretty damn boring to be honest and even the quests are borings in them, which made me stop playing them :D

But at least in Elden ring I could imagine the combat being fun and enough to carry the game were it good. But when that is not working for you, I would say that such game is pretty damn terrible, regardless of the size of the world or how good the graphics is etc.

I guess, I just have to admit that Elden ring is not a game for me and obviously have no clue why people would give it even close to 10/10, even CP which I were rough on, with all its bugs and issues etc. is so much more interesting in my opinion. And maybe even comparing it to TW3, I would say that it doesn't even come close to that, besides some of the monster designs, look of the armors etc. which I think are really awesome.

It really does sound like this is simply not your kind of game and the issue is well beyond the controller. For me I love the combat system and how precisely you have to control your character, nothing is automated. You have to gain the skill through a lot of practice and avoid making mistakes when you panic. Another thing I love about From Software game is the lack of quests and the lack of hand-holding. You need to explore and figure things out. This is even more daunting in an open-world setting but I loved it, I was free to explore and discover things without the game telling me where to go or giving me quests to complete. I found myself ion some pretty high level areas early on, but learned to overcome the challenges, and I found it fun (when I went back to the low level areas I accidently skipped I was very over-powered, which was a bit boring though). I never felt the need to farm runes, and I loved the items I found, already thinking of alternate characters I could create who could make use of them. Or even trying to see whether I enjoyed the moveset on the weapons I found more than what I had or thinking of situations whether a new moveset or weapon art might be helpful. Weapons are not really stronger than other weapons in From Software games, they offer variety of ways to play., and that is what you are looking for in your items. So I just think you expect a different kind of game, which is not what From Software does.

I don't think this is their best work btw. I think there are a lot of amazing things which I love about it, but the challenges of the open-world setting combined with the Souls formula is not quite working and I definitely feel this is the easiest game in the series due to how many mini bosses and dungeons you get to explore and level up without before moving on to the difficult encounters, not the mention the addition of Spirit Summons. I think Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro were some of their best work (you can't really compare them since they are very different)

UX could use some work, whole quest/journal/lore part accessibility is atrocious.
Witcher 3 was way better

I don't think that is a good excuse, nothing in this inventory system or menu system in general seems to be designed with the purpose of being fast.

It's not an excuse. It's just what it is. You can be fast in anything if you apply yourself. The difference between From games and all the others is that they ask to apply yourself a little more. This is something that the new generation of gamers - just about the only ones to voice dissatisfaction with Elder Ring - seems not to understand. Which is the root of those rants and hot takes. Here's one of many examples:

. So mostly its farming runes, which I throw into different stats because the lack of information about what they do

That is only because you did not take the time to read... words. There it is, black on white, every time you open any menu: press a button to open explanation. All the stats, status effects and just about any position on any menu is clearly, briefly but thoroughly explained to the people new to Dark Souls. Once to press that button you didn't know about.

I'm not here to dis you or anything. On the contrary - to encourage you to view this game from a different perspective. Every masterpiece asks one to apply themselves before they can discover its real value. And FYI 9 out of 10 of the people who have a voice in the gaming community do agree that ER is a masterpiece. The only thing that makes me sway from this opinion is the camera which is atrocious, incompatible for combat vs large enemies and bad on lock-on on on fast moving enemy body parts. And the fact that you absolutely have to Wiki as key content to a little too obscured. ER is really unwelcoming unless you educate yourself about it. But that was the case with many of the greatest games of all times like FFVII.

So my personal advice to you is 1) read a WIki, watch some YouTube vids and 2) buy a pad. A pad really improves your PC gaming experience on many titles. For ER, I recommend Xbox Elite series as the underpads really make a difference especially on a mage where you wanna switch spells while mobile.

UX could use some work, whole quest/journal/lore part accessibility is atrocious.

I agree to some degree about quest accessibility but some of the quest lock outs have been fixed in the recent patch. As for the other points, acting like Dark Souls style lore and narration is new to any gamer in 2022 sounds like one was born in 2021. DS games have been around for years and both extremely popular and acclaimed to the point they gave birth to their own genre of "soulslike" or "soulsbourne" games. I find it really awkward that so many people voicing their opinions on ER do not know about that.

On the margin, another example of a different GOATy game that kinda uses DS style of narration is Hollow Knight. Community counting in millions to this day discusses its lore intricacies despite the fact that there is no explicit story line.

Last edited:
I tried Elder Ring as well on PC (didn't come very far yet) but by default indeed console controls are shown. Luckily I disocovered this website. Which explains both console and PC controls and suggestions how to improve the PC controls.

You can change the default display of the xbox controls in the configurations menu: By default, Elden Ring shows you the Xbox controller keybinds. If you play with a mouse and keyboard, you can switch to see the appropriate keybinds by going to “Sound and Display” tab in the main game menu and changing the “Device for On-Screen Prompts” setting to “Keyboard and Mouse”.

This helped me a whole lot! Very weird Elder Ring does not set the PC default when being installed on a PC.

That is only because you did not take the time to read... words. There it is, black on white, every time you open any menu: press a button to open explanation. All the stats, status effects and just about any position on any menu is clearly, briefly but thoroughly explained to the people new to Dark Souls. Once to press that button you didn't know about.

I'm not here to dis you or anything. On the contrary - to encourage you to view this game from a different perspective. Every masterpiece asks one to apply themselves before they can discover its real value. And FYI 9 out of 10 of the people who have a voice in the gaming community do agree that ER is a masterpiece. The only thing that makes me sway from this opinion is the camera which is atrocious, incompatible for combat vs large enemies and bad on lock-on on on fast moving enemy body parts. And the fact that you absolutely have to Wiki as key content to a little too obscured. ER is really unwelcoming unless you educate yourself about it. But that was the case with many of the greatest games of all times like FFVII.

So my personal advice to you is 1) read a WIki, watch some YouTube vids and 2) buy a pad. A pad really improves your PC gaming experience on many titles. For ER, I recommend Xbox Elite series as the underpads really make a difference especially on a mage where you wanna switch spells while mobile.
I did know you could get help, but it was pure accident when hitting the arrow keys.. I noticed you could go through each stat. Again, I can only echo what I have already said, the UI is absolutely rubbish in my opinion when it comes to PC. Its like they refuse to acknowledge the mouse or simply didn't care to implement it so you could either mouse over them or simply click them with the mouse, I mean these are not difficult things to make in games, the popups and all the information is already there.

But besides UI, there are elements of the game which are 9/10 or maybe even 10/10. I really like the enemy designs. But in my opinion, for a game to reach 9/10 when talking games of this size, it needs to deliver way more quality in general across the gameplay than Elden ring does in my opinion or the main focus of the game needs to be absolutely spot on amazing. And given that Elden ring seems to be pretty much a open world combat looter game then the controls has to be amazing if it wants a 9/10 or 10/10.

To me whenever a game requires you to read on wiki is because the game lacks information and it is not something that I see as a bonus. But in most cases, I wouldn't remove points from it either. And I don't particular feel a need to wiki a lot of things in Elden ring, I did look up the weapon stats with the letter system. Which might be explained in the game as well and also had to look up what the ashes of war does, because I couldn't figure out what they do or even how to use them inside the game. But I guess there are some random keys in the game you can press to figure that out as well. :)

And obviously I would be part of the 1 out of 10 that is not particularly impressed by the game, and again to me almost all points are lost due to the poor UI and the rest is loss because of the game simply feeling empty.

Again want to stress that it is simply my opinion :D

I almost bought this, but man just main story is 50+ hour. Good example why I think game industry is making way too big games these days. I would play half now and half maybe afterr 6 month or so. 50 hour, if you play 5 hour per day, thats 10 freaking days.

Really good games can´t last long enough, cause it´s great to come back from time to time to see still new things. But apart from that I found Elden Ring rather boring in terms of story, characters and staging.

I've recently picked up Elden Ring, having only played a good chunk of Dark Souls 1 in the past. Some potential spoilers will follow.

I'm enjoying aspects of the open world design, it's refreshing to see a map that isn't littered with icons, but that doesn't stop the open world from falling into the trappings of having predictable "types of content". As an example, if I find a cave with a dungeon, I can pretty much expect that there will be a locked door that I need to unlock by pulling some lever in the level, after which I will fight a boss. And there will be traps and enemies ambushing you along the way. Similarly with Evergaols etc. Maybe this changes in the later areas, as I'm only 30 hours in, but the fact is that there have been a few patterns already emerging, which of course goes against that sense of discovery that the game seems to want to achieve. The first time you discover a new "type of content" is pretty cool though, so they nailed that aspect. And of course entering a new section of the open world - of which there seem to be many - for the first time also has that effect, but knowing it's filled with those same types of activities, even if the enemies are new, does somewhat lessen the sense of wonder.

I won't comment on the questing, characters and story - this is not what the game is about and needless to say that aspect is very bare-bones (always has been in From Software games).

The combat... I never really enjoyed combat in these games, as it essentially boils down to pattern recognition, which I don't find engaging. It's why I never finished Dark Souls 1. Even The Witcher series dabbled in this in TW2 and 3, but they still had their own spin on it, having combat that was somewhere in between Dark Souls and Batman. Elden Ring kind of goes that way too in the open world, where you're often fighting larger groups of enemies and it's more about positioning and how you approach the encounter tactically, rather than the more typical 1v1 or 1v2 fights that you are required to approach in a certain way by learning the enemy pattern, which you see in the more tightly-designed dungeons. I just never enjoyed stretching out 1 hour of content over 2-3 hours by way of doing things over and over again until you learn the patterns to near-perfection.

Other than that, the combat is tight and feels responsive, although the camera does tend to spaz out in tight corners when you're locked-on. One thing I don't like is that you don't seem to be able to cancel out of attacks (or if there is a way, I haven't found it). I understand this is to prevent button-mashing and to enforce the pattern-recoginition style combat, but it doesn't feel right when you tap attack because you think you'll have an opening only to immediately realise that opening won't be there and press dodge to no effect. I feel like some early attack-cancelling should be allowed to make combat feel more responsive, especially when you're punished so severely for getting it wrong. I will still have learned something new about the pattern, but I now don't need to restart the entire fight/section.

So, open world combat/explorationis fun, but I'm still not really finding joy in the big Dark Souls-esque areas. The good thing is that because the game is open world, I have the freedom to just go explore areas where the combat is enjoyable until my character has progressed enough to be able to make the dungeon-crawling bearable, where a section takes 2-3 tries rather than 5-10.

I feel simiarly about boss fights - it's just an exercise in pattern recognition. Fight the boss enough times until you find an opening in their pattern that works for you, then execute that until the boss dies. Again, leveling helps a lot here, becuase you don't need to learn that pattern to perfection before you move on, as you're able to do/take more damage the stronger the character gets.

So, essentially, I'm finding the exploration interesting enough to keep playing, and that same exploration helps make the parts I don't enjoy as much tolerable. I like the effort they've put into making exploration elicit that sense of discovery, but I think there's more that can still be done there, as there are still easily-recognisable patterns to the open world activities that diminish that sense of wonder the longer you play. I suppose the answer to that is to follow no templates for the open world activities, but that would of course take a lot of time and effort. Perhaps subverting those player expectations from time to time, then, would be the answer. Maybe Elden Ring will do this - I guess I'll find out as I keep playing. The Witcher 3 did this with its contracts and side-quests, by sometimes breaking the established template (e.g. House of Reardon, Phantom of Eldberg, Beast of Honorton etc.), which kept questing/exploration feeling fresh.

On the controls - I am using mouse and keyboard and I think the game controls fine. I only ever use a gamepad for racing games, where being able to turn the wheel at just the right angle is important. I don't find that this is the case in Elden Ring - being able to dodge in 8 directions is enough for me. It would be nice if mouse and keyboard actually worked well in the menus though. Sometimes pressing Esc takes you back from your current menu to the previous one, sometimes it does nothing, even though the controller mapping seems to be the same. It's really poorly done and it's not something that is excusable, in my opinion. If you're going to port your game to PC, you must offer adequate support for mouse and keyboard, where at least navigating the UI doesn't feel like some arcane art. What I've found to work ok as a compromise is that right-clicking in the UI brings up a pop-up with all the actions that can be performed on that screen, so you can click on the Back button, for example, as opposed to trying to figure out what key it's mapped to.

Top Bottom