Emhyr - The Game Non-Character vs the Book.

+
Hah, because the nobles are good guys wishing to remove the evil maniac from power to usher in freedom.

Nope.

Emhyr eventually gets deposed in the the book canon and replaced by Voorhis who becomes another emperor.

Maybe not all nobles are on the same page, but in the story around Stefan Skellen it gets explicitly stated that there is a movement that wanted to give the power to the people of nilfgaard.

Last edited:
Actually I don't get where this whole grandson idea comes from, reading the text in my OP Emhyr mentions that HE would rule half the world while Ciri's son would rule all of it.

Maybe he is just crazy and hungry for power, he read in prophecy that Ciri child will rule half of the world and wanted to make that child as quickly as possible.

Arrange a marriage?
Does he really have to rape his own daughter?

I know the nobles don't know about it, but I really don't blame them if they want to depose that lunatic.

Emhyr eventually gets deposed in the the book canon and replaced by Voorhis who becomes another emperor.

Actually, CDPR made it quite nice, at least initially, before the leak when they changed the ending, where the idea was for Ciri to marry Voorhies. So it would satisfy both Emhyr and opposition, but I would imagine a lot of us, players, wouldn't want any arranged marriage for Ciri. :)

Maybe he is just crazy and hungry for power, he read in prophecy that Ciri child will rule half of the world and wanted to make that child as quickly as possible.

:) Actually, it does not matter who is doing the deed. Even Emhyr can't make a baby magically emerge in three months. And I don't think he has as super-potent sperm as Walder Frey. Quite the opposite, actually.

Last edited:
Arrange a marriage?

I know the nobles don't know about it, but I really don't blame them if they want to depose that lunatic.
Like i said guy is crazy, pedophile - she was kid when he searched for her - there is no logical explanation why he would do that.

Constant theme in the books: Everyone wants to have Ciri forced on another sexually to beget a son. The Wild Hunt, Emhyr, the Lodge. It's not lunacy given that any child from that will be quite powerful.

Only Emhyr and Geralt knew about Ciri being Emhyr's daughter in the books. Also Emhyr claims it has to do with the prophecy and he doesn't really view it as anything different then what many girls have to deal with in an arranged marriage.

As for what he would achieve by marrying Ciri: Stability in Cintra that's what, hell that's one of the main reasons he marries Ciri's fake.

Anyway he abandoned said plan.

Last edited:
Actually, it does not matter who is doing the deed. Even Emhyr can't make a baby magically emerge in three months. And I don't think he has as super-potent sperm as Walder Frey. Quite the opposite, actually.
I didn`t meant that he would do it faster, but that he didn`t had to waste time searching someone else

Constant theme in the books: Everyone wants to have Ciri forced on another sexually to beget a son. The Wild Hunt, Emhyr, the Lodge. It's not lunacy given that any child from that will be quite powerful.

Thinking about rape is bad enough. Entertaining the thought towards one's own daughter is quite something else, especially when it is completely unnecessary.

I wish the nobles got rid of him before the games then, maybe we could have had a decent emperor of Nilfgaard be portrayed in the game.

Thinking about rape is bad enough. Entertaining the thought towards one's own daughter is quite something else, especially when it is completely unnecessary.

Pointedly that child is supposed to save the world, since it's downfall is inevitable. Emhyr also views it as just another arranged marriage. Certainly what we would classify rape in this day and age but still.

Also Emhyr is clear that it needs to be done like this in order to save the world by having Ciri's son take over it. Whether or not the nobles would accept an adopted son, and they very likely WOULD NOT given that they really hate Emhyr since he didn't marry one of their daughters to give Nilfgaard an heir, is irrelevant to the large situation. Also it pacifies Cintra is he makes Ciri empress.

I wish the nobles got rid of him before the games then, maybe we could have had a decent emperor of Nilfgaard be portrayed in the game.

If you really think that changing Emhyr as Emperor would have somehow improved the writing I think you're ignoring the key issues of the game. He and Nilfgaard were perfectly fine in TW2.

Also Emhyr is clear that it needs to be done like this in order to save the world by having Ciri's son take over it. Whether or not the nobles would accept an adopted son, and they very likely WOULD NOT given that they really hate Emhyr since he didn't marry one of their daughters to give Nilfgaard an heir, is irrelevant to the large situation. Also it pacifies Cintra is he makes Ciri empress.

Actually it was much better to marry Ciri to one of the Nilfgaardian noblemen from the opposition. The nobles were pissed when Emhyr married false Ciri, and not one of their daughters. To marry his own daughter by Povetta, who was a princess of Cintra, to a man who will be his heir would make everyone happy. Politically, Emhyr's pursuit of Ciri to merry her himself was quite a mess. I can only explain it by a general anxiety and an insane desire to fulfill a prophecy, similar like the same prophecy drives Loredo's mom.

But Emhyr actually managed to overcome it when he already won and had Ciri in his complete power. So, please, tone down with rape accusations and pedophilia. It does not matter what a person wants at some time, it mattes only what he actually does when he has a chance. Emhyr managed to rein in himself, and let Ciri and Geralt go.

So the nobles would not accept Emhyr adopting a child, but they would accept him raping and impregnating his daughter? What?

Emhyr can easily arrange a marriage between Ciri and a man whom the opposition, or many of them would accept. And that would make most people happy. And he can make Ciri empress of Cintra without marrying her.

There is really no reason at all. Emhyr didn't need to have this powerful savior be his child, he can just as well be his grand child.

@ ninjaed by vivax.

So the nobles would not accept Emhyr adopting a child, but they would accept him raping and impregnating his daughter? What?

The crucial critical point here is that NO ONE knows she is his daughter.

The crucial critical point here is that NO ONE knows she is his daughter.

He knows.
If the nobility is not going to accept him marrying anyone that is not from them, be it Ciri or anyone else, then why have this insane obsession with marrying your daughter and make everyone hate you more? When he can easily make her marry someone the opposition would be happy with.

Sorry, I am not going ti give Emhyr cookies for resisting such an urge.

I think it would be a crying shame not to have Emhyr as the villain of Witcher 4.

I really hope they render the assassination null and void.

Even if I don't want the Empress ending canon.

---------- Updated at 09:38 PM ----------

Not anymore.

Can someone explain to me why he wanted to impregnate his daughter? I know that the prophecy says that Ciri's child will rule half the world and then her grandchild will rule all of it, in addition to saving the world blahblahblah. So I understand that he would want to have that child near him and under his tutelage.

But why marry and impregnate her? Couldn't he have arranged for a marriage between her and some noble born, make her his heir, afterwhich her child, his own grand child, can be the prophecized kid and rule over Nilfgaard?

I don't understand his logic. Even in terms of efficiency and intelligence, that whole plan was not making much sense.

This is where it gets blackly comedic @knightofphoneix.

The Emperor got his idea of the Elven Prophecy from Vilgefortz, a man who CLEARLY MISUNDERSTOOD the prophecy from the fact he thinks he can just extract Ciri's girl parts to make himself all-powerful.

That's how Emhyr knows about it.

It's why he thinks he has to marry his own daughter.

It's also possible he doesn't consider a girl an acceptable heir, like Ra's Al Ghul. David Warner would have been another good Emhyr I think.

He knows.

He and Geralt, by no one I meant no one else. In the games everyone knows apparently but it's bloody nonsensical that Emhyr reveal this to his opposition. Let's ignore the fact that the game removed Fake Ciri from the equation and the clusterfuck that would have caused to Emhyr since no one knew the truth, and what would happen if they discovered that he lied about it all.

Imagine Emhyr in the books revealing Ciri is his daughter under the idea of making her his heir. That invites a whole mess of issues with both his own people and Cintra.

For starters that would mean that Emhyr is Dunny since otherwise he wouldn't be able to claim this and this would not bode well with the people of Cintra in any way: The man who married their heir was the one who invaded their country and who they would rightly assume to have killed Pavetta which would piss them off even more.

For his own people, they would never accept Ciri as an heir with an arranged marriage to a noble, but they would not look favorably on it either since they don't care about their pure Nilfgaardian blood and all, and they hate him even more then they do if they found out he had married a nordling and had a child with her.

On top of that Emhyr would be looked on as a freak, or a monster since he was both while under the curse. He would become even more revilved among the nobility and they would likely rise in great numbers against him: Emhyr is already hated by a good portion of the nobility, make him a monster and a freak and you've got a revolution. We all know how everyone in the North viewed Adda.

Few people knew Emhyr was cursed. He never would have retaken his throne if that information had been made public.

Emhyr not revealing that he is Ciri's father, which would be required where he to name her his heir, is the politically sound move. Emhyr revealing it is an idiocy of epic proportions.

Last edited:
I'm not going to go more into this, as I haven't read the books and so I don't know all the context. To me it sounds nonsensical, but I do not have all the information.

But at this point, I am not sure I can be bothered to read the novels anytime soon.

Emhyr not revealing that he is Ciri's father, which would be required where he to name her his heir, is the politically sound move. Emhyr revealing it is an idiocy of epic proportions.

It depends if Emhyr has a choice, actually, @CostinRaz .

Fake Ciri simply requires someone to discover that she is, in fact, not Ciri of Cintra and then the Emperor would be FORCED to reveal that. The opposition finding out this particular juicy secret would be quite good and explain why Emhyr's political situation, previously quite stable, has suddenly become extremely tenuous. It might also explain why he's invading the North for the 3rd time in hopes of winning unity from the Nilgaardian people.

Besides, his father's political opponents already KNOW they cursed him. So I don't think the idea Emhyr was cursed is a secret.

There's also the fact it's been seven years in their marriage and the Emperor is without issue. If he invalidates the marriage with "Princess" Ciri then he will lose Cintra's loyalty as that's why he is accepted as it's ruler but if he reveals that he marries a Fake Ciri then he has the option of revealing that his daughter his actually Princess of Nilfgaard and she can take over instead. Then he can just admit, "I was married to Pavetta and wanted to crown my daughter but since she disappeared, I had to do my best to secure Cintra's future by marrying someone you'd accept. Miraculously, my daughter has returned, though."

He doesn't have to admit he ever ploted incest and can simply lie his way out that he was only ever planning to marry a Fake Ciri as a political ploy, which is shockingly the Truth (albeit, a half-one).

Also, making Ciri his heir is about the only way she'll ever sit on the Throne since he couldn't bring himself to impregnate her.

But yes, 7 years without issue means the marriage is pretty useless from a dynastic perspective.

I think it would be a crying shame not to have Emhyr as the villain of Witcher 4.

Nophe. I believe Emhyr is an emperor Hadrian of the Witcher world, who, if to paraphrase Romans, should have never been born, but as he was born, should never die. He is a mixture of good and bad, but he is one of the best Nilfgaardian emperors. Not a villain, just a very complicated man.

It depends if Emhyr has a choice, actually

If the game had ever given a fuck to explore this I would have agreed and it would have created a very juicy and interesting conflict, with both the people of Cintra and the Nilfgaardians suddenly turning against him, it would also justify why he started a war and then has the opposition turn on him: Because the truth came out during the war.

In the case it would be VERY understandable why his hold on power is precarious: He lied about Ciri, he married a foreign born, he was a monster and a freak. What would be a considerably harder sell is how making Ciri his heir would stabilize the Empire.

Last edited:
If the game had ever given a fuck to explore this I would have agreed and it would have created a very juicy and interesting conflict, with both the people of Cintra and the Nilfgaardians suddenly turning against him, it would also justify why he started a war and then has the opposition turn on him: Because the truth came out during the water.

In the case it would be VERY understandable why his hold on power is precarious: He lied about Ciri, he married a foreign born, he was a monster and a freak. What would be a considerably harder sell is how making Ciri his heir would stabilize the Empire.

Well, I'm hoping we'll have a bigger expansion on the situation in "Blood and Wine" and if the developers are reading this, from my fingers to their screens. "GO WITH THIS PLOTLINE, IT MAKES A LOT OF SENSE!"

As for Ciri becoming Empress stabilizing the Empire, it would stabilize Cintra as a conquered region and having a Northern monarch would do a lot to smoothe over relations with surrounding territories that he's just conquered. If she's married to Voorhis then Emhyr can also help his situation with the opposition as well as abdicating for the person that I suspect he THINKS will be running things (Voorhis) who will be more acceptable to the Nilfgaardian people.

Likewise, I suspect that Emhyr is relying on conquering the North to avenge the past two defeats and adding Temeria, Aedirn, and Lyria to go a long way to improving his image as an invincible conqueror.

If he wins the war, he has restored his popularity enough to conquer ruling, Ciri or no Ciri.

Top Bottom