Emhyr - The Game Non-Character vs the Book.

+
Should I even engage these people in a dialogue or an argument, (on the still open channels) or is it a lost cause? :(

EDIT:

Eh, it was a while ago and everyone knows it was a publicity stunt anyway. :)

Besides, the best revenge is Sapkowski.

"Nobody ever made an Elric video game!"

Eh, it was a while ago and everyone knows it was a publicity stunt anyway. :)

Besides, the best revenge is Sapkowski.

"Nobody ever made an Elric video game!"

Did he really say that :D ?

I mean from what I understood, Sapkowski is not exactly a fan of games IN GENERAL. He is old and stubborn in that regard :p

No, Sapkowski didn't bother to dignify it with a response.

His defenders, however, were rather ardent.

:)

No, Sapkowski didn't bother to dignify it with a response.

His defenders, however, were rather ardent.

As they should. Only way to face such elitism and such accusations...
I just hope they did not assault the literary value of his work :p

Anyways, this has been quite off topic (if interesting, thank you!). So here is a pic that is ON topic:

Here's my questionnaire for it:

1. Should Emhyr's sordid past with Ciri have been brought up with game?

2. Should Cintra have been brought up in game?

3. Should the Prophecy of Ciri's son and grandson been brought up?

4. Would Fake CiriTM have been a good character to have in Vizima to talk about Emhyr's softer side? Or does she raise too many questions? Should she have been a romance option in a loveless marriage of convenience?

5. Should Geralt have been able to strike at Emhyr in some way? Not necessarily one of the assassins but assisting them or his political enemies somehow?

6. What other means could have been done to make Emhyr more a presence in the games?

http://www.multiverse.org/fora/showthread.php?t=10894#4
I've read all the thread and found one single post that nailed it, though luckily people who knew their facts posted there too but not like this guy:

Marco said:
Well I registered just to write down a couple of things I know about Geralt of Rivia :D

He's not an albino. He was a normal man until he went through an alchemic process meant to give him superhuman physical qualities. This is done through ingestion of herbs. All witchers react in a different way to these mixtures, Geralt lost hair pigmentation. You can see that his stubble and eyebrows are still dark.

He's called White Wolf because he's - well - white, and because he's a member of the Wolf clan. Every Witchers' keep is home to a clan whose symbol is an animal(including the Wolf, the Cat, the Griffon), and these groups have different traditions and teachings. Geralt is from the Wolf clan - so, White Wolf.

Cheers :)

Back on topic:

To me, yes. Besides, if I recall correctly Ciri doesn't know he is her father in the books, but in the game, yes.

At least quoting its status among Nilfgaard provinces...

No... but it could have been interesting. Seeing it as an elven prophecy that could not have influence on the Continent.

4. Would Fake CiriTM have been a good character to have in Vizima to talk about Emhyr's softer side? Or does she raise too many questions? Should she have been a romance option in a loveless marriage of convenience?

I'm asking the same, where Fake Ciri went to? She is Emhyr's wife. Why the game acts if she doesn't exist? Emhyr doesn't bother somehow... But it could have been the solution to many internal problems. And in the books all believed that fake Ciri was the real Ciri, don't forget it.

5. Should Geralt have been able to strike at Emhyr in some way? Not necessarily one of the assassins but assisting them or his political enemies somehow?

Could have been out of character.

6. What other means could have been done to make Emhyr more a presence in the games?

Thinking about it, it's not simple to write down all the ideas, but at the beginning I liked his portrayal, but his character got lost a bit in 3rd act... among the others...

Last edited:
1. Absolutely.
2. Yes, mentioned at least.
3. Yes.
4. Too much info for newcomers, perhaps? But I would like it.
5. Why not? Rulers have a habbit of dying when Geralt is near - Foltest, Henselt, Radovid...White Flame can go, too.
6. Focus on main story and characters and not on open world? I don't know....That ship has sailed, I'm afraid....

Last edited:
I've read all the thread and found one single post that nailed it, though luckily people who knew their facts posted there too but not like this guy:

Back on topic:

To me, yes. Besides, if I recall correctly Ciri doesn't know he is her father in the books, but in the game, yes.

At least quoting its status among Nilfgaard provinces...

No... but it could have been interesting. Seeing it as an elven prophecy that could not have influence on the Continent.

I'm asking the same, where Fake Ciri went to? She is Emhyr's wife. Why the game acts if she doesn't exist? Emhyr doesn't bother somehow... But it could have been the solution to many internal problems. And in the books all believed that fake Ciri was the real Ciri, don't forget it.

Could have been out of character.

Thinking about it, it's not simple to write down all the ideas, but at the beginning I liked his portrayal, but his character got lost a bit in 3rd act... among the others...

near the end of the Lady of the Lake Emhyr confesses to ciri he is her father, and then throws away the plan he had (marry her and produce a child that supposedly will save the world) because he cant stand her being unhappy

even if Witcher 2 is the best writing-wise and the only one I'd think actually trumps Sapkowski.
Haha, not even close.

Every Witcher novel written by Sapkowski is at least one level better in any possible way than anything anyone at CDPR has written so far. It's an insult to even compare them and no, I don't discuss that. There is nothing to discuss here.

But back on topic: what Emhyr needed most is just a more lifelike and nuanced performance. It's not so much about what he said but how he says it. And how he acts depending on whom he talks to. I think CDPR got him quite wrong, especially in the way he interacts with Geralt in the game.

Last edited:
Haha, not even close.

Every Witcher novel written by Sapkowski is at least one level better in any possible way than anything anyone at CDPR has written so far. It's an insult to even compare them.

Yeah....no.

I'm sorry....no.

Sapkowski is wonderful but this is the guy who wrote a story about the Little Mermaid and Geralt serving as a translator for her and the Duke before the Deep Ones from R'lyeh randomly show up.

Give CDPR some credit.

Yeah....no.

I'm sorry....no.

Sapkowski is wonderful but this is the guy who wrote a story about the Little Mermaid and Geralt serving as a translator for her and the Duke before the Deep Ones from R'lyeh randomly show up.

Give CDPR some credit.

So what? There is nothing wrong with this story. Again, you confuse topic with good writing but I guess you already made up your mind (and I know I've made up mine) so there is little point in discussing that any further.

And we can talk again once somebody at CDPR wrote a real novel and not only some video gamey dialogues. They don't even have a fair chance without that but that's not my problem thb. It's an inferior narrative medium.

Edit: Oh, but I give them some credit. They made some pretty good video games with even pretty good writing, especially compared to the standard for this medium. But that's about it. Everything Sapkowski wrote had 10 times more depth, 10 times more complexity, 10 times more heart. You know, just because he used the optimal medium to transport a narrative perhaps. Or because he is a better writer. Or both. We'll never know since we compare books to video games. It's like comparing pizza to chocolate and asking which one tasted sweeter. Pizza can be fabulous but it never wins against chocolate here.

Last edited:
Different mediums.

Then again, I may be biased because I created my blog for the purposes of discussing the artistic merit of video games and how they're equal to other forms like books or movies.

Also reviewing stuff I liked.

Then again, I may be biased because I created my blog for the purposes of discussing the artistic merit of video games and how they're equal to other forms like books or movies..
Oh, I don't doubt that video game can be equal to other media like books or movies in respect to the artistic merit.

I'm just convinced that video games are naturally inferior to books in terms of storytelling. I think that's pretty obvious. ;)

I have to agree that as far as storytelling goes, books are the master race.

Witcher video games are essentially fan art, a high quality, entertaining and engrossing, but fan art nonetheless and I doubt CDPR would be as arrogant as to consider it equal to the books.

There is probably a lot of people who've never heard of the books before playing video games, but that's normal, same applies to other fantasy pieces like GOT and LOTR.

I'm not overly disturbed with lack of Emhyr depth, as he was always a side character and I'd rather CDPR focuses on enhancing more important gaps, should they decide to do anything.

1. Yes
2. Yes.
3. Yes :p
4. Hmm... depends on how well realized she is.
5. Good for choice making. Dont know how Yen would like that...
6. For example sending some war veterans from Impera or some of his own battle mages to assist against the Wild Hunt.

---------- Updated at 05:13 AM ----------

Different mediums.

Then again, I may be biased because I created my blog for the purposes of discussing the artistic merit of video games and how they're equal to other forms like books or movies.

Also reviewing stuff I liked.

They are mate :p

But all mediums have pros and cons. And certain unique features. Hence why they are different. You CANT beat a book at being a book with a video game.
But your book cant be a better video game than a video game...

If that makes sense :p

near the end of the Lady of the Lake Emhyr confesses to ciri he is her father, and then throws away the plan he had (marry her and produce a child that supposedly will save the world) because he cant stand her being unhappy
True, he did, but Ciri mistook the word "luned" for "girl" instead of "daughter", like he really said. She made the same mistake before while talking with Auberon. And when she started mumbling about it Yennefer said "Ciri, do not think."

At least, that's what I understood, but obviously correct me if I am wrong.

True, he did, but Ciri mistook the word "luned" for "girl" instead of "daughter", like he really said. She made the same mistake before while talking with Auberon. And when she started mumbling about it Yennefer said "Ciri, do not think."

At least, that's what I understood, but obviously correct me if I am wrong.
She knew that he said daughter, but she lied to Geralt and Yennefer that he said girl

I think it would be smarter to just show Emhyr's human side more in his interactions with Ciri and Geralt than introducing a character to talk about his humanity.

Top Bottom