Emojis make little sense in 2077

+
This might seem like a trivial thing, but I play a no nonsense Corp and she uses blinky and smiley emojis regularly in the texts. It's like she morphs into a teenager posting messages on Tumblr. Could emojis exists in this universe? Yes. It just seems way outta character for my V, and even out of character for people like Judy and River Ward and others. And the connotation will always be that of our present day social media.

This is the kind of small thing that is subtly annoying in games until I can come up with head canon to explain it. Like how in Fallout 4 mini guns are used in banks instead of alarms. Seems way too dangerous for the public until I realized that you can walk into any bathroom in that universe and grab medications out of the first aid kit that can grow back limbs. In a world that has developed medicine far beyond their other TECH their tolerance for what would be horrifying OSHA violations in our world would be immensely greater.
So for this I like to think they are left over from our time when the emojis became proprietary NFT. So NOW (2077) they are actually like a symbol of well to do like with gold necklace today. Not everyone actually can use all of them, sure some are still public domain but a lot of the famous ones got caught up in the NFT "wars" in earlier history. :shrug:

Last edited:
lol-ani.gif

This might seem like a trivial thing, but I play a no nonsense Corp and she uses blinky and smiley emojis regularly in the texts. It's like she morphs into a teenager posting messages on Tumblr. Could emojis exists in this universe? Yes. It just seems way outta character for my V, and even out of character for people like Judy and River Ward and others.
When you roleplay as such I can see what you mean. But you could then also roleplay (imagine) them as tactical use to ease the one on the other side of the line and give them a 'false' sense of security towards you as that hardcore corpo.
And the connotation will always be that of our present day social media.
Which is where you took a wrong direction imho.

Lastly. Asking wether or not it makes much sense seems pointless in this case since you'd have to project your 2022 brain into 2077. Or otherwise said: you can not predict the future and therefore cannot possibly say if it would make sense or not.
Specifically going off the title of this topic.
If there's a music band like those dolls out there (forgot their name) then I can definately see emoji's being a thing in 2077.
Notice btw, the existence of emoji's in general (which this topic appears like at first glance) versus a specific character(s) using them are two different conversations.

This is the kind of small thing that is subtly annoying in games until I can come up with head canon to explain it. Like how in Fallout 4 mini guns are used in banks instead of alarms. Seems way too dangerous for the public until I realized that you can walk into any bathroom in that universe and grab medications out of the first aid kit that can grow back limbs. In a world that has developed medicine far beyond their other TECH their tolerance for what would be horrifying OSHA violations in our world would be immensely greater.
So for this I like to think they are left over from our time when the emojis became proprietary NFT. So NOW (2077) they are actually like a symbol of well to do like with gold necklace today. Not everyone actually can use all of them, sure some are still public domain but a lot of the famous ones got caught up in the NFT "wars" in earlier history. :shrug:
I like the idea, but damn that’s a stretch

Top Bottom