Enabling shadows from light sources in Toussaint

+

Guest 3841499

Enabling shadows from light sources in Toussaint

DJ Kovrik has tried to do that in every way possible, but nothing worked. I asked Flash in Flesh W3 game developer and got this response: "There's SetCastingShadows function in scripts which allows to enable shadow casting for components with meshes. It's doing the same thing as a parameter in entity templates, so you can access it from both places. As for special effects (ie. fire) being a light source, it was a parameter of a special effect. As far as I remember this parameter was also accessible from character entity, since each entity had his own list of special effects."

Where would I look for SetCastingShadows function in scripts? Which scripts? I verified that there are quest-related light sources allow for Geralt's shadow and other mesh shadows, just like there are light sources that allow meshes OTHER THAN Geralt to cast shadows. For example, in Regis layer at the cemetary, there's a candle holder, around which Geralt does cast shadow, but the same exact template does not cast shadows in other places. Similarly, in Regis' layer there is a table with a candle. Meshes from table parts, like some cup or pen, do cast shadows, but Geralt does not...

Since the original More Shadows mod were template based, maybe Toussaint is more complicated and needs that SetCastingShadows functional to be enabled in scripts, but I am not a script person - I would have no clue where to even start looking...

I inquired further, but I doubt I will get a reply from Flash in Flesh, so maybe someone here knows about that script function?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 3841499

No, not HiRes shadows on NPC's, which I already have, but shadows like in More Shadows mod. Light sources in Toussaint, candles, candle holders, brazier, and etc. do not allow for shadow casting for the majority of meshes, with exception of specific quest-related ones and specific places.

do you compare files in More Shadows and vanilla files?
w2ent
environment\decorations\light_sources\complex
for dlc here:
environment\decorations\gameplay\generic\lightsources

Guest 3841499

Yes and porting chunks does not work. File substitution works for some sources, like torches, but the actual torches disappear because of mesh differences. Nothibg else works as far as substitution goes. Guard torches use vanilla hame templates and you do get shadows with those sources. There are places in Toussaint where even Geralt's torch casts no shadow and at times no light. Developers either messed up and turned off shadows to prevent glitches or its something else. For specific cut scenes and quests, custom light sources do allow shadows, but once again, copying their chunks or substituting files does not work.

Script is the only method not tried, but I have no idea how to work or where to find that shadow function.

I also had another idea that DJ Kovrik does not think will work. There is E3 Wisp mod by KNG, which is a light wisp that revolves around Geralt and even in Toussaint you get shadows from pretty much all meshes. That mod uses custom script, but the actual w2p and template are mounted as DLC. Maybe something similar could be with light sources, something like placing a wisp light effect on most light sources. DLC part would have the templates and the w2p files, then maybe some script could be written to activate those light sources? I don't know, just throwing idea...

I think for Toussaint developers were going for "diffused light" or "soft light" effect where shadows do not appear, at least not like with normal light.

No shadows kills immersion for me...

I have solution for additional light , in levels\prolog_village\mq0003_well_area\claer_house you have this env_light.w2l
This is interior light over tree in house at prologue quest, i can turn off this light

Guest 2364765

It can be easily forced via scripts but it's quite pointless since having more than 3 shadow casting light sources in close distance breaks shadows.

skacikpl
Breaks them how? Have been using More Shadows for ever now and not noticed any real issues, apart from some small odd flickers on character faces from time to time.

Guest 2364765

LukeSparow;n9903031 said:
skacikpl
Breaks them how? Have been using More Shadows for ever now and not noticed any real issues, apart from some small odd flickers on character faces from time to time.

More shadows does not enable all light sources to cast shadows, the issue starts appearing when you have more than 3 shadows from local lights present at once, they start breaking, disappearing and producing artifacts.

Guest 3841499

Yeah, those shadows are not perfect, but they are better than not having shadows. Heck, those shadow techniques look ancient, like from some 2009 game, but it adds to immersion.

I have not actually seen those shadows break entirely. They flicker at times, very sharp in nature, unlike W3 cascade shadows, but again, better than not having any. It would be nice to soften them up a bit!

Guest 3841499

Damn, noticing all these issues makes me realize that animation, character models, foliage, and streaming are the only things.that give this game.the "wow" factors for graphics. The rest is kind of crap, but it's off-topic.

Maybe someone could at least share that script for shadows, so we can decide for ourselves whether its worth enabling them or not..?

Guest 3841499

skacikpl;n9902661 said:
It can be easily forced via scripts but it's quite pointless since having more than 3 shadow casting light sources in close distance breaks shadows.

Thank you for letting us know how to enable shadows. I wish everyone was so helpful, in which we would not need forums since not sharing information is exactly how knowledge is shared... Oh wait, something is wrong in that statement.

No Title

here. its done. :)

photo201411.jpg

Last edited:

Guest 3841499

computerkind;n10629321 said:
rfuzzo
nice, care to share it?

It's a joke because there is this "Top Modder" out there who said it could not be done, therefore nobody in the entire world, including CDPR themselves, can make it happen. Nobody should even try - he has that kind of authority over anybody who even attempts modding W3.

computerkind;n10629321 said:
rfuzzo
nice, care to share it?

hej. I will share as soon as it’s finished, that was just a quick test for one light source. Btw, this is not done via scripts, but the same way More Shadows was done, so I need to go through all of the lightsources manually.

Top Bottom