Endings

+
Endings

Keep in mind that I have not read the books, and that I also realize that this may be a bit subjective, but which is the best fate for Ciri: becoming a witcher or taking over the throne?

Or for those who read the book(s), which fate would she prefer?

Going to give you the short answer and direct you to some other threads where we've been discussing some of its aspects.

I've read the books and I prefer the Witcher ending for Ciri. It's what Ciri always wanted to be: free. The Empress ending has a number of problems outlined in the threads I've linked below, but sufficed to say, there's the implication that Ciri will have to sacrifice personal happiness for a chance to guide the huge Nilfgaardian Empire into the future.

Have a read here for more interesting opinions:
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/48450-My-Issue-with-the-Empres-Ending-Spoilers
and
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/49038-what-is-the-best-ending-in-your-opinion-spoilers

Thanks for the links. :) I'll check them out.

Yeah, I know from her in-game rants that she wanted to be free, but I took all that as typical teenage angst. I figured that maybe in the books, she finally grew up and stopped acting so immature and would want to lead/govern given her heritage.

From the books perspective its definitely the witcheress ending, since it's pretty much the same ending as in the books.
But also in general: Wanting to be free has nothing to do with a teenage angst, since she has been hunted her entire life, and in the empress ending she basically surrenders, because she thinks that's the only way to end this.
It's like paying bills. You will receive one reminder after another until you finally pay the bills, No one wants to pay bills but it's the only thing you can do - unless you fake your death (witcheress ending), since dead people don't pay bills!

Wanting to be free has nothing to do with a teenage angst, since she has been hunted her entire life...

Not the wild hunt part, sure, but that was resolved. The other part just has to do with one's sense of family duty and loyalty. There is no right or wrong here, mind you, but wanting to get away from one's family (and, in her case, the family business) to be free and independent is "typical teenage angst." ;)

There are more people interested in her special powers besides the Wild Hunt, so the story isn't over after defeating them, just for now.

Choosing the life of a witcher and being 'free' is what she always wanted from my understanding so it's the most preferred ending from her point of view. Though in the books AFAIK she is free in a whole other world (I thought our world) where people don't know of her powers (however it could be that this was even before TW3 story and it already happened, I'm not sure). In this specific TW3 ending she's free but still in her own world where people do know of her. And I think that's where the story will pick up whenever they continue the Witcher series.

however it could be that this was even before TW3 story and it already happened
Correct, the games occur after the books.
The other part just has to do with one's sense of family duty and loyalty. There is no right or wrong here, mind you, but wanting to get away from one's family (and, in her case, the family business) to be free and independent is "typical teenage angst."
The family duty and loyalty she should feel is towards Geralt and Yen and not Emhyr. I wouldn't label anything to do with Ciri as 'teenager' or 'angst'. It's not mentioned directly in the games but her life has been incredibly horrifying.

The family duty and loyalty she should feel is towards Geralt and Yen and not Emhyr.

Going off-topic in my own thread, I know, but that's another thing I didn't get. (Remember: I haven't read the books--I only played the video game.)

It seemed like every major character I met had a hand in raising her at some point in her childhood, so what made Geralt and Yen so special?

It seemed like every major character I met had a hand in raising her at some point in her childhood, so what made Geralt and Yen so special?
Witchers and Sorceresses are sterile, and thus Yen and Geralt have always loved her like their own daughter (knowing they can never have a biological one, a point of distress amongst them), whereas the other people she was with treated her as more of a ward. The character entry for Ciri in the game references the 'law of surprise' (How Geralt essentially got a 'claim' on Ciri) and linked the two of them together, not entirely dissimilar from how Yen and Geralt were linked by the Djin. So to answer your question, 1) Destiny, 2) Geralt and Yen are the only real parental figures that show an interest in Ciri that does not revolve entirely around Ciri's blood/genetics.
This all being said its been a while since I've read the first three books and am in the middle of the last so I'm not the most informed person to be answering the question; this is what I've gathered thus far however.

To understand the reason why Geralt and Ciri are linked together you have to understand the whole story. Yennefer only fits in here because her fate is linked with Geralt.
The Story how they come together is explained in the two Short-Story Books "The Last Wish" and "The Sword of Destiny", you will find an english fan-translation here and here.
The Stories about Ciri are in the second book, though one Story from the first book is important for the understanding.
In the last wish you have the short Story:

A Matter of Price

and in Sword of Destiny you have 2 Stories:

The Sword of Destiny
Something More

The end of the last Story leads directly into the main book series.
I strongly recommend you to read the stuff but you will find summaries here,here(the Sword of Destiny and here (Something More) .

I like the ending of Something more, I alwyas shed some (very manly!) tears reading it.
Yurga stopped dead when he saw the sickly little girl with her ashen hair walking slowly behind the boys.
The little girl looked at him. The merchant noticed the large green eyes like spring grass and bright as two stars. He saw her suddenly pick up speed and run...
He heard her cry out in a shrill and piercing voice:
“Geralt!”
The witcher turned instantly and rushed to meet the young girl. The scene left Yurga speechless. He had never seen anyone move so fast.
They met in the middle of the yard: the little girl with ashen hair surrounded by a gray dress; the white-haired witcher with his sword on his shoulder, dressed in black leather studded with silver; bounding lightly; the little girl trotting; the witcher kneeling; the tiny hands of the little girl around his neck; the mouse-gray hair of the girl falling on the witcher's shoulders.

Chrysididae gave a muffled scream. Yurga drew her to him without saying a word and took her in his arms. His other arm hugged the two boys.
“Geralt!” the little girl repeated, hugging the witcher's chest.
“You've found me! I knew it! I always knew! I knew you'd find me!”
“Ciri,” the witcher said.
Yurga didn't see Geralt's face, hidden by the little girl's ashen hair. He only saw black- gloved hands squeezing Ciri's back and shoulders.
“You've finally found me! Oh, Geralt! I waited all this time! It took so long... We'll stay together now, won't we? Now we'll be together, right? Say it, Geralt! Forever! Say it!”
“Forever, Ciri.”
“It's just like they predicted, Geralt! Like they predicted... I'm your destiny? Say it! I'm your destiny?” Yurga saw astonishment in the eyes of the witcher. He heard Chrysididae's discreet sobs and felt her shoulders trembling. He knew that he would not understand the answer, but he waited anyway. With good reason:
“You're more than that, Ciri. More than that.”

Last edited:
Top Bottom